what passes for formal wear these days?

Not trying to start a big debate,

just haven't sailed with RCI for a few years and was wondering what passes for formal nights now.

I have been on NCL and CCL lately which doesn't have much if any dress codes.

Certainly won't be dressed like a slob but don't want to be dragging the tux along either.

Also what venues can we eat in on formal nights that are casual if we opt out of the MDR?

Looking at Oasis or Allure.

Bill

I bring my tux for the formal nights, the rest of the nights I dress as I would dress on NCL. Khakis and a polo shirt.

Formal attire doesn't have a rocksolid description these days.

I dress as I am comfortable. so should you.

just haven't sailed with RCI for a few years and was wondering what passes for formal nights now.

Certainly won't be dressed like a slob but don't want to be dragging the tux along either.

Also what venues can we eat in on formal nights that are casual if we opt out of the MDR?

Bill

Consider a big debate started!!!

A very few folks wear a tux on Oasis or Allure. Maybe saw a couple of dozen ??

Nice dark suits seemed to be the majority, with a smattering of slacks and shirts and /or sports jackets and ties and a couple of dozen who are running around in a polo shirt or tees ( but I can't say I saw many of them in the dining rooms)

The funniest thing is at 5 PM, the couples with early seating are dressed to the nines getting drinks and photos done; the older gents often have a tux from the good old days of cruising and their ladies have a full length "mother of the bride" dress and the younger crowd with late seating is still running around in their bathing suits and shorts...it makes for a really weird Promenade experience!:p;)

If you don't wish to take the tux, you could rent one or just wear your dark suit and you would not be out of place!

Happy cruising!

To answer the last part of your question, the specialty restaurants are more casual, even on formal nights, I wore slacks and a Tommy Bahama shirt, DW either wore a sun dress or slacks and a fancy top. You can do the Windjammer, Park Cafe, Sorrento's for no charge.

Edited by oneputt18

To answer the last part of your question, the specialty restaurants are more casual, even on formal nights, I wore slacks and a Tommy Bahama shirt, DW either wore a sun dress or slacks and a fancy top. You can do the Windjammer, Park Cafe, Sorrento's for no charge.

Thank you for pointing out those options. I am not opposed to going to the surcharge eateries.:)

We just 3 of them on NCL last month.:)

I have read a lot about the Park Cafe that sounded like my wife would love it for breakfast and coffee.

Probably going to book a B1 so she'll get lots of exercise getting there I think. lol

Bill

We just of off the Liberty last weekend and it was a real mix on formal night - a few tux but more jacket and ties and even more slacks and smart shirt and god forbid someone had a "Polo Shirt"! on ! ha ha .... I really think you can go as you like as long as you don't wear shorts for dinner. Just enjoy your cruise you know you deserve it !

Bill

Actually your question is a good one.

We asked the same question a few years ago when we started cruising, and revisited it for an Oasis of the Seas cruise.

Our experience has been the Main Dining Room dress has been somewhat "all over the place" on our last 2 cruises (including Oasis). We saw about 10% of the men wearing tuxes, another 30-40% wearing suits, about 25% wearing sport coats with dress shirts & slacks, and the other male attendees wearing a wide range of polo shirts, etc....clearly not conforming to the intent of the evening. We've never seen anyone refused service despite their attire being "not-formal" in some cases.

What passes for formal wear these days is either a dark suit or a tux for men, formal gown or cocktail dress for women. You are not required to dress formally, of course, but those are what are considered formal.

A pressed pair of Dockers and a good quality polo shirt will suffice on any night, despite the supposed "intent of the evening". If you look neat and behave yourself, you will have no problems nor will you feel out of place.

What passes for formal wear these days is either a dark suit or a tux for men, formal gown or cocktail dress for women. You are not required to dress formally, of course, but those are what are considered formal.

I agree with the above. Coat and tie for most men. A few in Tux and a few in polo shirt. [but not that many of either in this category] My Alaska cruise was a little more relaxed. Many men in shirts and coats without ties. Or they wore shirts and tie with no jacket. Our table mate had on a collared shirt without jacket or tie.

DH always takes suit/tie. He has a tux but it takes up too much room in a suitcase. Airline luggage fees limit what we take.

I think the new "uniform" for women is black pants and a nice top. Yes, you see gowns and dresses. But, black pants are "in."

A pressed pair of Dockers and a good quality polo shirt will suffice on any night, despite the supposed "intent of the evening". If you look neat and behave yourself, you will have no problems nor will you feel out of place.

"If I don't agree with the rule (and/or it is inconvenient) I don't have to follow it."

What a terrible way to go through life! No wonder the world is so sh*** these days..........

For me, it's just as easy to bring a tux as bringing a suit. I bought a tux about 10-12 years ago and it has made life easy.

All the other cruise nights, I go casual with khakis and poli shirts.

Our last 4 or 5 cruises have been from local ports, so no air travel and baggage fees.

To travel with packing lighter, NCL is the way to go. I can pack for a whole week in a carryon bag.

I'm planning to go with light coloured khakis and dark sport jacket without a tie. I think that maybe 95% of men will wear dark pants, but so what.. I think black is overused as it's just a safe choice.

"If I don't agree with the rule (and/or it is inconvenient) I don't have to follow it."

:confused:

What the OP said is 100% true! There are no dress "rules" on RCI ships. There are unenforced "suggestions". A person entering the MDR even on formal night wearing dockers and a polo shirt will NOT be turned away! Even the waiters tell people "you dont have to worry about dressing up" or something like that.

Until RCI comes up with set in stone dress code RULES and they start ENFORCING said rules, again, the OP is 100% correct.

:confused:

What the OP said is 100% true! There are no dress "rules" on RCI ships. There are unenforced "suggestions". A person entering the MDR even on formal night wearing dockers and a polo shirt will NOT be turned away! Even the waiters tell people "you dont have to worry about dressing up" or something like that.

Until RCI comes up with set in stone dress code RULES and they start ENFORCING said rules, again, the OP is 100% correct.

True, but that's still an attitude of whatever I can get away with, rather than what is proper or requested, so I think wales4ever is also 100% correct, as well. Rules of etiquette generally are not "set in stone" or enforced.

. Rules of etiquette generally are not "set in stone" or enforced.

From what I understand, they are on Cunard and other luxury lines :) But yeah, I know RCI isnt a luxury line and I totally understand your point.

Personally, I wear a tux on formal nights or go somewhere else to eat. I just dont see how someone can get upset over what someone else wears, especially when the waiters tell you to come to dinner anyway and not to worry about dressing up. I have not been on a cruise yet where they didnt tell people that.

Edited by ryano

A very few folks wear a tux on Oasis or Allure. Maybe saw a couple of dozen ??

Nice dark suits seemed to be the majority, with a smattering of slacks and shirts and /or sports jackets and ties and a couple of dozen who are running around in a polo shirt or tees ( but I can't say I saw many of them in the dining rooms)

The funniest thing is at 5 PM, the couples with early seating are dressed to the nines getting drinks and photos done; the older gents often have a tux from the good old days of cruising and their ladies have a full length "mother of the bride" dress and the younger crowd with late seating is still running around in their bathing suits and shorts...it makes for a really weird Promenade experience!:p;)

If you don't wish to take the tux, you could rent one or just wear your dark suit and you would not be out of place!

Happy cruising!

Hey I am 64 and my husband is 66, we never take early seating:mad: but I wear a cocktail or tea length dress, sometimes longer and my husband always wears a tux, his is as comfy as his khakis.

What a terrible way to go through life! No wonder the world is so sh*** these days..........

What rule? A suggestion is not a rule!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

What rule? A suggestion is not a rule!

I think that's sort of the poster's point. Some people don't care what is suggested; they simply do whatever they want, as long as there are no direct consequences to them.

That's an attitude that has, indeed, lead to a lot of the shape the world is in these days. But, admittedly, what attire people where to the dining room on formal night during a cruise is a pretty negligible contribution to that. But it's still a reflection of the "all about me" attitude.