what passes for formal wear these days?

Not trying to start a big debate,

just haven't sailed with RCI for a few years and was wondering what passes for formal nights now.

I have been on NCL and CCL lately which doesn't have much if any dress codes.

Certainly won't be dressed like a slob but don't want to be dragging the tux along either.

Also what venues can we eat in on formal nights that are casual if we opt out of the MDR?

Looking at Oasis or Allure.

Bill

:confused: You weren't trying to start a big debate, huh? LOL! :rolleyes:

It's a bit too late, my friend...'cause this is a hot-button debate with CCers!

Eat where you like in whatever makes you comfortable, except a wife-beater! Windjammer is ALWAYS a good choice when you just want to wear shorts and a top.

Shouldn't a 15000+ poster know that this question would start a debate? Probably this and tipping are the most hotly debated topics here.

What can be said that hasn't already been said hundreds of times...

Wear what you feel is reasonable and comfortable, and realize that there's always going to be somebody who feels that you're not dressed well enough, but that shouldn't really bother you (or him/her for that matter).

Formal nights are not a suggestion. The words/term "Formal Night" is printed in black and white for all to see in many different documents. The dress code is to wear formal attire. Formal nights are dinners where passengers eating in the MDR are to wear formal attire.

Because some passengers do know what formal attire is (attire = clothing), RCI has provided examples (i.e., suggestions) of what types of clothing one should wear.

There are many different passengers with different ideas as to what they should wear:

There are those many that try to abide by the dress code provided - either because they like to, want to, forced to by their spouse/partner, or just because they respect the other passengers adhering to the dress code for that evening.

There are those that know the dress code, but refuse to adhere to them because they feel they do not apply to them.

There are those that adhere to the dress code, but intentionally dress to the most minimum of standards.

There are those that do not know or understand the dress code (and this is where the examples/suggestions provide the most help).

I've had my say, let the flaming begin.

I think people need to pick the hidden option. :) which is that regardless of how you feel about people's dress or lack of, there is no point in getting worked up over behaviors of random strangers. Why allow someone you don't know have that much power over you by making you angry. It's just not worth it.

:confused: You weren't trying to start a big debate, huh? LOL! :rolleyes:

It's a bit too late, my friend...'cause this is a hot-button debate with CCers!

Eat where you like in whatever makes you comfortable, except a wife-beater! Windjammer is ALWAYS a good choice when you just want to wear shorts and a top.

All I can say is WOW! Love the roll eyes emoticon too.:)

Let's see, I haven't cruised RCI in 5 years so I have no idea what people wear these days onboard their ships. So since it starts a debate I guess I am not allowed to ask?

I got my answers early on in the thread but since I'm not a mod I can't lock the thread.

I hope most of the cruisers I meet onboard are a tad nicer.:)

Carry on.:)

Shouldn't a 15000+ poster know that this question would start a debate? Probably this and tipping are the most hotly debated topics here.

What can be said that hasn't already been said hundreds of times...

Wear what you feel is reasonable and comfortable, and realize that there's always going to be somebody who feels that you're not dressed well enough, but that shouldn't really bother you (or him/her for that matter).

You got me, I'm a troll.:rolleyes:

Bill

All I can say is WOW! Love the roll eyes emoticon too.:)

Let's see, I haven't cruised RCI in 5 years so I have no idea what people wear these days onboard their ships. So since it starts a debate I guess I am not allowed to ask?

I got my answers early on in the thread but since I'm not a mod I can't lock the thread.

I hope most of the cruisers I meet onboard are a tad nicer.:)

Carry on.:)

You got me, I'm a troll.:rolleyes:

Bill

Please relax, I'm simply having fun. No harm intended. :D <<<toothy grin

I think people need to pick the hidden option. :) which is that regardless of how you feel about people's dress or lack of, there is no point in getting worked up over behaviors of random strangers. Why allow someone you don't know have that much power over you by making you angry. It's just not worth it.

Bravo! And with this post, the thread should be closed.

I believe a majority of cruisers, 1st timers or otherwise on any given cruise on any given day have never been on CC or never even heard of CC. I just ran accross it by accident while looking for reviews of the cruise I was going on. So I said that to say this....there is a vast majority of folks out there that cruise who don't have a clue about formal nights and what to bring to wear. There are a lot of folks that probably never have worn formal wear in their lives other than at their senior prom in high school! JMHO!

The last cruise we were on, for formal night, I wore a Las Vegas Harley Davidson tee-shirt, my leather biker vest, a pair of black jeans, and leather motorcycle boots. My wife wore her leather biking vest, over a nice blouse, leather pants and 4-inch stilettos.

However, everyone was dressed like that because it was the High Seas Rally on the FOS!! We had the MDR and late seating all to ourselves, all 1,950 of us. Leather formal nights are the best!

Edited by matthewthamm

The Windjammer is crap anytime! If you dress nice and clean you can eat in the MDR. You pay a lot for a cruise depending on cabin and have as much right to the mDR as a person in a tux. lets face the truth here. Formal nights are still done because in truth this is another revenue source through pictures that are more prevalent on formal nights. It does not bother most people, obviously the ones not buying pictures in their tux, to see dockers and a nice shirt. I insisted on the Allure for my husband to wear a jacket. We ate with the captain and were told that was fine on formal night. So if the captain had no problem maybe some of your thinking needs to be changed to be more understanding of other people. Bottom line. It is your vacation, enjoy it. You worked hard for it and you DO NOT HAVE TO EAT AT THE WINDJAMMER!

Guaranteed this summer in Alaska there will be no jackets packed in the suitcase! I will be in the main dining room if not Chops!

The last cruise we were on, for formal night, I wore a Las Vegas Harley Davidson tee-shirt, my leather biker vest, a pair of black jeans, and leather motorcycle boots. My wife wore her leather biking vest, over a nice blouse, leather pants and 4-inch stilettos.

However, everyone was dressed like that because it was the High Seas Rally on the FOS!! We had the MDR and late seating all to ourselves, all 1,950 of us. Leather formal nights are the best!

Formal Leather! :)

We were on a cruise on Mariner of Seas a number of years ago with Hogs on the High Seas and they had the whole bottom level of the MDR.

The wait staff wore dew (sp?) rags around their heads. It was an interesting cruise. :)

A pressed pair of Dockers and a good quality polo shirt will suffice on any night, despite the supposed "intent of the evening". If you look neat and behave yourself, you will have no problems nor will you feel out of place.

You are absolutely right on. "Formal" is really on the way out. We were on the Freedom 3 weeks ago and we noticed at least 50 per cent of the men without ties or sport coats. Very few tuxes. The women still looked pretty smart though. Actually I felt a little out of place in my dark suit. I won't be packing that again!

And why is it "not OK"? Not OK to whom? RCCL doesn't seem to mind so what's the big deal?

It is not OK to the people around us. We do not enjoy dressing up. That is a big reason why we live in Florida...Land of flip flops, shorts, and t-shirts. On a cruise, though, we dress up on formal nights. Ladies thought enough to put on gowns and wear nice jewelry. Some got their hair done. Some men put on tuxedos. The least we can do is wear a suit and tie.

It is not OK to the people around us. We do not enjoy dressing up. That is a big reason why we live in Florida...Land of flip flops, shorts, and t-shirts. On a cruise, though, we dress up on formal nights. Ladies thought enough to put on gowns and wear nice jewelry. Some got their hair done. Some men put on tuxedos. The least we can do is wear a suit and tie.

Wow. Remind me not to sit at your table.

We just got off the Radiance cruising Alaska. On formal night, my husband wore khakis and a nice shirt.....I wore black slacks and a pretty top. Two of the men at our table wore suits while two others were very casual.....one actually had on shorts, t-shirt and sandals. I don't think it matters anymore.

We just got off the Radiance cruising Alaska. On formal night, my husband wore khakis and a nice shirt.....I wore black slacks and a pretty top. Two of the men at our table wore suits while two others were very casual.....one actually had on shorts, t-shirt and sandals. I don't think it matters anymore.

We found the same to be true.

My DH no longer takes his tux on RCCL cruises.

I don't think it matters any more either. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

I don't think it matters any more either. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

Agree. I don't think the question is "what passes for formal wear" these days. I think the definition of formal wear has not changed. The question really is, "What will prevent me from eating in the main dining room on formal night?" From what I can tell, the answer is shorts and bathing suits. And even that seems to be debatable!

Thank you for pointing out those options. I am not opposed to going to the surcharge eateries.:)

We just 3 of them on NCL last month.:)

I have read a lot about the Park Cafe that sounded like my wife would love it for breakfast and coffee.

Probably going to book a B1 so she'll get lots of exercise getting there I think. lol

Bill

Hi Bill! :) Johnny Rockets is pretty good for breakfast too. I found the breakfast service there to be much better than in the MDR, and your food is cooked to order.

We all seem to complain about how flying has lost it's glamour. Passengers used to dress up and the trip was something special. I hope the cruise industry doesn't follow suit.