what passes for formal wear these days?

Just off the Oasis. Formal night was a big deal! I saw evening gowns and tuxedos all over the ship. Since we were with the grandkids we did Windjammer on Formal nights. We even saw formals and tuxedos in the Windjammer. The people sailing on our cruise understood formal night!!!!!!!!

We all seem to complain about how flying has lost it's glamour. Passengers used to dress up and the trip was something special. I hope the cruise industry doesn't follow suit.

I don't dress formal & it's still special to me. Material possessions, including clothing, is not important too me. Enjoying time with my family is.

Hi Bill! :) Johnny Rockets is pretty good for breakfast too. I found the breakfast service there to be much better than in the MDR, and your food is cooked to order.

Hi Deb hope all is well.:)

I will let Maryanne know since I don't do breakfast.:p

I didn't care for JR's when we were on the Navigator. Service slow and order wrong.

Bill

I don't dress formal & it's still special to me. Material possessions, including clothing, is not important too me. Enjoying time with my family is.

Agree. Getting dressed up or not doesn't determine whether my vacation is something special.

When I'm on holiday (vacation) I wear what I want when I want and unless there are "enforced rules" specifying otherwise that generally means jeans and T shirt for dinner. If I'm feeling special I might put a jacket on and I always wear a clean polished pair of brown brogues simply because your shoes really do say more about you than anything else you're wearing. At the end of the day it's my holiday (vacation), I paid for it and I'll enjoy it my way.

I don't complain about woman wearing clothes that are too tight, bearing flesh no one wants to see or men wearing shoes that haven't been polished or trousers (pants) that are too tight or too short and shirts that haven't been ironed.

If you want to dress up that's your choice if you want everyone else to dress up and the rules to be enforced cruise with another company that does that but don't try and force your opinions on others who want to be left to enjoy their holiday (vacation) their way.

Miopyk

[quote name='OCruisers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]We found the same to be true.
My DH no longer takes his tux on RCCL cruises.
I don't think it matters any more either. :rolleyes:

LuLu
~~~~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Thankfully, the cruising public is [U][B]finally[/B][/U] beginning to come to their senses. I've long held that the MDR on mass-market cruises is really nothing more than buffet food served by well-dressed attendants. Granted, the food is nicely prepared and presented, but on most nights you can get the exact same things in the Windjammer (except lobster,of course), and I don't have to dress up to do it.

I have been on enough cruises to see that getting dressed-up on so-called "formal" evenings is no big deal, although it does give the cruise line a chance to cash in on over-priced "professional" photos. It's all just another way the cruise lines part a fool with their money.

For those who enjoy dressing formally, I wish them well. If I, however, choose to dine in the MDR, my Dockers and polo shirt will do just fine, thank you. And you know, I'll bet they'll still take my picture.

Some people DONT dress up for formal night and just wear nice summer dresses, khakis. I have a 2 long formal dresses.

I consider these formal.. I got alot of compliments on the first one

[url]http://www.sears.com/bee-darlin-junior-s-halter-prom-dress-colorblock/p-031VA56213412P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=031VA56213412P&kispla=031VA56213412P[/url]

I never got a chance to wear this, but I will this time

[url]http://www.venus.com/viewproduct.aspx?BRANCH=7~71~&ProductDisplayID=10086&cm_mmc=ProductSearch-_-Google-_-XWEBGPS13-_-goobase_filler&sc=XWEBGPS13&device=c&network=g&matchtype=[/url]

[quote name='S.S.Oceanlover']Not trying to start a big debate,

just haven't sailed with RCI for a few years and was wondering what passes for formal nights now.

I have been on NCL and CCL lately which doesn't have much if any dress codes.

Certainly won't be dressed like a slob but don't want to be dragging the tux along either.

Also what venues can we eat in on formal nights that are casual if we opt out of the MDR?

Looking at Oasis or Allure.

Bill[/quote]

Formal is not so "formal" anymore. We enjoy dressing formal, long dress for me and a tux for my DH plus my DH looks so handsome in his tux:) We don't think shorts or jeans with holes in them even if the cost $100.00 ;) are appropriate. We took our nephews 16 and 18 on their first cruise last year an they opted to wear a tux, their choice and they even enjoyed it.

Be comfortable but not too comfortable :p and enjoy your cruise.

[quote name='satxdiver']
Neither of us are into formal anything, so I wear a long sleeved dress shirt, open collar and a pair of cotton khaki pants. I used to bring my blue blazer but have started leaving it at home as it seems rather ridiculous to drag it along for two nights wearing it into the MDR, taking it off hanging over the back of the chair and carrying it out in my arms. BTW notice how many men take their coats off and drape them over the back of their chairs.

Pax used to dress up to fly on an airplane and now we are lucky if they have clothes on at all. I recall wearing a tie when I first started work as an engineer, nice pants and a long sleeved dress shirt. By the time I retired I was wearing jeans, athletic shoes and a sport shirt. Times are changing as they always have. Those who cling to a bygone era will be lost.[/quote]

You do realize you just resolved this issue? Now RCI and end this discussion of 'formal wear' once and for all by simply draping a coat over every other chair in the MDR on formal nights. Simple and no more debate.

I too can remember when wearing a suit was fairly standard on an airplane. I used to wear suits to work and now I wear jeans to fit in.

The cruse lines are only doing what is necessary to attract a younger crowd. Formal night is an artifact of a bygone era soon to be only a memory.

[quote name='RocketMan275']The cruse lines are only doing what is necessary to attract a younger crowd. Formal night is an artifact of a bygone era soon to be only a memory.[/quote]

Spot on comment. But I don't blame someone for wanting to hold on to the past - it's their right to do so.

[quote name='CruiseTobey']Spot on comment. But I don't blame someone for wanting to hold on to the past - it's their right to do so.[/quote]

When something works, why change it?

The fact remains that there are fomal nights. Another fact is that there are people that want it and those that do not want formal nights in a sit-down venue with a waitstaff. Instead of this bickering about which is better, what solutions do you have to try and fix it?

One suggestion I have is to ask the passengers pre-boarding if they will be dining formal or not on those nights and try to arrange seating for the different levels of the MDR accordingly. This way passengers that want the formal dining can do so with other like-minded people, and those that do not want to be so formal can also enjoy a sit-down meal (without anyone being charged extra).

What suggestions do other CC members have to accommodate both the formal and non-formal passengers on formal night? Edited by Travel R

[quote name='Travel R']When something works, why change it?

The fact remains that there are fomal nights. Another fact is that there are people that want it and those that do not want formal nights in a sit-down venue with a waitstaff. Instead of this bickering about which is better, what solutions do you have to try and fix it?

One suggestion I have is to ask the passengers pre-boarding if they will be dining formal or not on those nights and try to arrange seating for the different levels of the MDR accordingly. This way passengers that want the formal dining can do so with other like-minded people, and those that do not want to be so formal can also enjoy a sit-down meal (without anyone being charged extra).

What suggestions do other CC members have to accommodate both the formal and non-formal passengers on formal night?[/QUOTE]

Class separation again? Lol.

[quote name='Travel R']When something works, why change it?

What suggestions do other CC members have to accommodate both the formal and non-formal passengers on formal night?[/QUOTE]I like this idea a lot.:D

This issue sucks me in every time! I don't think it should be an issue at all. If you do not want to dress up for "formal' then please go to the Windjammer. Plain and Simple. Some people feel they are entitled to do whatever they want and not follow the rules... Okay, I know there isn't a rule but suggestions. Gheesh! Why ruin for others the one night that is formal just because you feel you are entitled and shouldn't have to do anything you want to do?!? Makes no sense to me. Windjammer does serve a lovely dinner and often some of the dishes from MDR are at Windjammer! **** "(Clothing & Fashion) suitable for occasions organized according to conventional ceremony formal dress." -the free dictionary.com****

[quote name='RCLcruiser2012']This issue sucks me in every time! I don't think it should be an issue at all. If you do not want to dress up for "formal' then please go to the Windjammer. Plain and Simple. Some people feel they are entitled to do whatever they want and not follow the rules... Okay, I know there isn't a rule but suggestions. Gheesh! Why ruin for others the one night that is formal just because you feel you are entitled and shouldn't have to do anything you want to do?!? Makes no sense to me. Windjammer does serve a lovely dinner and often some of the dishes from MDR are at Windjammer! **** "(Clothing & Fashion) suitable for occasions organized according to conventional ceremony formal dress." -the free dictionary.com****[/QUOTE]

It really ruins your dinner if I dress in khakis and polo rather than a tux. Awwwww, poor baby. Get your priorities straight. I hope I sit next to you one day and make you as uncomfortable as possible and ruin your dinner.

I swear some of the people on this board amaze me. So uptight and pretentious.

[quote name='monkeyluis']It really ruins your dinner if I dress in khakis and polo rather than a tux. Awwwww, poor baby. Get your priorities straight. I hope I sit next to you one day and make you as uncomfortable as possible and ruin your dinner.

I swear some of the people on this board amaze me. So uptight and pretentious.[/quote]

No tux sir. Just a nice suit! :) Business casual is khakis and polo! That is not formal! How about a suit with no tie? We'll compromise. Not uptight or pretentious. We just like to follow the suggested attire as they are there for a reason! Why do so many feel they are entitled to do whatever they want?!? :) Edited by RCLcruiser2012

[quote name='RCLcruiser2012']This issue sucks me in every time! I don't think it should be an issue at all. If you do not want to dress up for "formal' then please go to the Windjammer. Plain and Simple. Some people feel they are entitled to do whatever they want and not follow the rules... Okay, I know there isn't a rule but suggestions. Gheesh! Why ruin for others the one night that is formal just because you feel you are entitled and shouldn't have to do anything you want to do?!? Makes no sense to me. Windjammer does serve a lovely dinner and often some of the dishes from MDR are at Windjammer! **** "(Clothing & Fashion) suitable for occasions organized according to conventional ceremony formal dress." -the free dictionary.com****[/QUOTE]

It ruins your dinner if someone isn't dressed how you feel they should be? Wow. I am glad I don't allow petty things to "ruin" my vacation.

And really people can argue this issue until the end of time and it isnt going to change. The cruise line has the right to deny entrance if they wanted to. But clearly they don't want to. People need to accept that mass market lines (carnival, royal, norweigan) are going to a more casual atmosphere and if you want the formal environment they will need to sail the higher end lines. Telling people to eat in the buffet isn't going to change anyone's behavior.

[quote name='BeachChik']It ruins your dinner if someone isn't dressed how you feel they should be? Wow. I am glad I don't allow petty things to "ruin" my vacation.

And really people can argue this issue until the end of time and it isnt going to change. The cruise line has the right to deny entrance if they wanted to. But clearly they don't want to. People need to accept that mass market lines (carnival, royal, norweigan) are going to a more casual atmosphere and if you want the formal environment they will need to sail the higher end lines. Telling people to eat in the buffet isn't going to change anyone's behavior.[/quote]

Trust me it doesn't ruin my dinner! I look forward to dinner in the MDR every night! However, it is inconsiderate and selfish especially when the suggestions are there for a reason! FORMAL night doesn't mean where whatever you want night!!! :) It should not even be a topic of discussion. White table cloth restaurant not Applebee's! Common courtesy! Entitlement yet again! So sad..... :( Edited by RCLcruiser2012

[quote name='RCLcruiser2012']No tux sir. Just a nice suit! :) Business casual is khakis and polo and not formal! Not uptight or pretentious. We just like to follow the suggested attire as they are there for a reason! Why do so many feel they are entitled to do whatever they want?!? :)[/QUOTE]

I wear what I can afford & what I have, I have no need for a suit or tux in my normal life, I don't want to waste money on renting one either. I deserve to eat in the MDR just as well. I did pay for the cruise. I don't feel entitled to anything as much as you feel entitled to be separated from folks not dressed like you. Yup, you're pretty uptight & pretentious when you don't consider other people's situations. If you don't like it then you can go eat somewhere else.

It's a shame folks have to get insulting for having one view or the other on this topic.

Fact is a formal night is a cruise-scheduled event in the main dining room. It's a traditional part of going on a cruise (for many decades now). It's also something many passengers look forward to and enjoy.

People can make their own choices as to attending or doing something else.

Those who don't wish to participate have multiple options, including specialty restaurants, Windjammer, etc. There's no reason to show up in non-formal attire for these dinner nights.

In our case, we had 2 formal nights on our last cruise, and chose to show up for only one of them dressed appropriately. For the other, we dressed more casually and ate dinner at an alternative casual restaurant onboard.

It's about having some dignity and respect for fellow passengers (and the cruise line for that matter - it's their event) - not any kind of arrogance. The only arrogance would seem to be [B][I]knowingly[/I][/B] showing up with non-formal attire on formal dinner night.

[quote name='RCLcruiser2012']It doesn't ruin my dinner! It is inconsiderate and selfish when the suggestions are there for a reason! FORMAL night not where whatever you want night!!! :)[/QUOTE]

You said it ruins it for others.

What is the "reason" for formal nights according to you? Overly priced pictures to purchase.

And they are, suggestions.

[quote name='CRUISEFAN0001']It's a shame folks have to get insulting for having one view or the other on this topic.

Fact is a formal night is a cruise-scheduled event in the main dining room. It's a traditional part of going on a cruise (for many decades now). It's also something many passengers look forward to and enjoy.

Those who don't wish to participate have multiple options, including specialty restaurants, Windjammer, etc. There's no reason to show up in non-formal attire for these dinner nights.

In our case, we had 2 formal nights on our last cruise, and chose to show up for only one of them dressed appropriately. For the other, we dressed more casually and ate dinner at an alternative casual restaurant onboard.

It's about having some dignity and respect for fellow passengers (and the cruise line for that matter - it's their event) - not any kind of arrogance. The only arrogance would seem to be [B][I]knowingly[/I][/B] showing up with non-formal attire on formal dinner night.[/QUOTE]

Umm, you are their customer. Not an invited guest.

[quote name='RCLcruiser2012']It doesn't ruin my dinner! It is inconsiderate and selfish when the suggestions are there for a reason! FORMAL night not where whatever you want night!!! :)[/QUOTE]

Suggestions that the cruise line choses not to enforce yet people here think they can. I have read countless reviews where the poster said they had no intention of eating in the mdr because they didn't want to change clothes but their server told them to go anyway.

As I said you can call people selfish, inconsiderate and whatever else you want. It won't change what is which is people can dress casually and be allowed in the mdr on formal nights.

I chose to not allow what random strangers are doing to have control over me by getting angry over something out of my control. Others allows petty things to impact their vacation. Some people need to learn that you can't control behaviors of 3000 other people.

[quote name='CRUISEFAN0001']It's a shame folks have to get insulting for having one view or the other on this topic.

It's about having some dignity and respect for fellow passengers (and the cruise line for that matter - it's their event) - not any kind of arrogance. The only arrogance would seem to be [B][I]knowingly[/I][/B] showing up with non-formal attire on formal dinner night.[/quote]

AMEN!! VERY WELL STATED Cruisefan001" It's about having some dignity and respect for fellow passengers (and the cruise line for that matter - it's their event) - not any kind of arrogance. The only arrogance would seem to be [B][I]knowingly[/I][/B] showing up with non-formal attire on formal dinner night." Edited by RCLcruiser2012