Arrival options - help with decision - FLL or MIA

pcmom10

I have 2 options for our arrival to Florida for our Carnival Liberty cruise out of Miami.

Using my husbands flight miles, I can get the kids (teenagers) and I on a redeye leaving California mid afternoon to FLL with arrival at Noon (2 stops with a 4 1/2 hour layover from 2am-6:30am in New York) and then take a shuttle to POM

OR

we can leave California at 6am with arrival to MIA at nearly midnight (3 stops with total of 5 1/2 hours in layovers) and then get a hotel and a shuttle to POM.

Which would you do?

If stay at a hotel in MIA, any suggestions for a hotel with a free shuttle to POM? I saw free airport shuttles but all seem to charge to go to POM.

Wow - those are two ugly flight options! :eek:

Of your 2 options I would choose the one with fewer connections and an earlier arrival getting you into FLL at noon. I would find an FLL area hotel, check-in, head for the pool and maybe a nap and then shuttle to POM the next morning.

If you decide to fly into MIA only a few of the budget options near MIA offer "free" POM shuttles -- check the Comfort Suites North or La Quinta East (not sure the hotel shuttles will be running that late :confused:).

Good luck! :)

Wow - those are two ugly flight options! :eek:

Of your 2 options I would choose the one with fewer connections and an earlier arrival getting you into FLL at noon. I would find an FLL area hotel, check-in, head for the pool and maybe a nap and then shuttle to POM the next morning.

Oops, wasn't clear in the first post.

The FLL arrival at noon is the day of embarkation (2 stops with total of 6.5hrs layovers - 4.5hrs in New York middle of the night.)

The MIA arrival at midnight is the night before embarkation. (3 stops and a total of 5.5hrs layovers - the longest is 3 hours in San Francisco late morning)

Seriously doubt anyone here would recommend taking any flight that gets you in at noon the day of sailing. That is simply a situation ripe with the possibly of disaster.

If it is noon the day before sailing, that is fine.

A flight that arrives the day before is far, far better.

First, eliminate the flight that arrives at Noon. If the flight is delayed or cancelled you may miss the ship.

If it was me out of your two options I would add another option. Can you get the flight that arrives at Noon the day before. I would then get a hotel and use that day to relax for the day of embarkation.

If you can't then go with the flight that gets in Midnight but I really would find away to arrive the day before.

Keith

The FLL arrival at noon is the day of embarkation (2 stops with total of 6.5hrs layovers - 4.5hrs in New York middle of the night.) NOOOOOO!:eek:

The smart cruiser ALWAYS arrives at least one day early - flying in the day you sail is setting yourself up to miss the ship due to a delayed or cancelled flight. :(

Thanks for the pep talk :-) I'd been thinking about changing our flights for the past week. We were already confirmed on the flight arriving at noon on day of embarkation. I looked at other options, including taking the same flight arriving the day before, and the only one that is available (with miles we have) is the one arriving at nearly midnight the day before. So, I changed it, so that we're on the late night arrival :D Will be better for all of us, my 16 year old won't be grumpy with little sleep :eek: now he and his brothers and I will be happy :D

Now looking for hotel w/airport shuttle, shuttle to POM and then I also need a shuttle to FLL for our return flights - we have 5:30pm flights on the day of debarkation so lots of time there.

Arriving in MIA only a few of the budget options near MIA offer "free" POM shuttles -- check the Comfort Suites North or La Quinta East (not sure the hotel shuttles will be running that late :confused:). Arriving that late it is questionable if better quality hotels will be worth the price - check out the Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites (both in the Blue lagoon area near MIA) with shopping options nearby; no free POM shuttles but a taxi to the port will only cost about $30.

For shuttle service to FLL after your cruise check with SAS, QLS and Go Airport shuttle -- the trip takes about 40-45 minutes and prices start at about $15+ per person. If you have a late flight out of FLL look at renting a car, stashing the bags in the trunk, and heading to the beach! :cool:

Good luck! :)

Archived