What are the best day trips on lifou, Noumea & Vila?

We are a family of 5 two kids 12yrs 9yrs, dada and mum, we love the beach and arent into cultural sights plus my 70 year old mum has limited capacity for adventure unless its from an air conditoned bus! So we might both have to do different things! Any suggestions? we love food and shopping ( who doesnt) :-) My boy is also truning 12 when we get to Mystery Island. I gather that there isnt much to do other than Snorkel (which is fine) :-)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We are a family of 5 two kids 12yrs 9yrs, dada and mum, we love the beach and arent into cultural sights plus my 70 year old mum has limited capacity for adventure unless its from an air conditoned bus! So we might both have to do different things! Any suggestions? we love food and shopping ( who doesnt) :-) My boy is also truning 12 when we get to Mystery Island. I gather that there isnt much to do other than Snorkel (which is fine) :-)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We were recently in Lifou and Vila.

Not much to do in Lifou but if you walk up the steps from the beach you will find the locals have a market plus there is a little tour group with private vehicles selling 45minute and 2-hours tours. We took the 45minute one for $15 AUD each. Quite interesting. The beach that the tender takes you too is beautiful so you just might want to chill out there!

In Vila we had a tour organised with a private company "Atmosphere Tours" which were highly recommend on TripAdvisor. It lasted for a full day and cost us about $105 each which we paid in Aussie Dollars at the end of the day - well worth it. I believe that they also have half-day tours available.

Gae

Enjoy!

In Lifou I would walk to Janek Beach for snorkelling and also walk up to the church on the headland.

In Noumea, check out the tours on sale on the cruise terminal.

In Vila I recommend getting a large taxi (there are a lot of small vans there) and go to the cascades. Have the driver wait for you and pay him at the end - around AUD$60 for around four hours.

In Lifou I would walk to Janek Beach for snorkelling and also walk up to the church on the headland. It was VERY humid when we visited so we were thankful to be driven around. Also the walk up to the church is quite steep so may be a little too strenuous for your 70yo Mum.

In Noumea, check out the tours on sale on the cruise terminal.

In Vila I recommend getting a large taxi (there are a lot of small vans there) and go to the cascades. Again it is quite a hike up to the Cascades in the humidity. Those that have done it have said it was truly amazing but we went for something easier and more local - tribal village, Blue Lagoon, local school, waterfall in private property etc. Have the driver wait for you and pay him at the end - around AUD$60 for around four hours.

Just my thoughts! :)

We did amadee island in noumea and great day out, my kids were 12, 7 & 6 we had a great day.

You can really only do Amadee Island on a ship's tour otherwise you risk missing the boat. An alternative Duck Island that is closer to Noumea. Tours and also water taxis can be booked in the cruise terminal.

Just back from islands last Tuesday

Lifou - I did the 2 hour bus ride $30 on my own with some other people - organised from on island near the markets. It was a an eye opener in an air con bus so would be ok for your Mum if she can get up one step. You get taken around their town, stop at supermarket - not really much shopping but the driver talked about life on the island. Took some people to Lueclle ? beach to swim for 45 min and we went back and picked them up. If you want to go to Jinek Bay to snorkle now you have to pay $15 and no sunscreen so need to have rash vest, as they are trying to protect the reef.

Mystery Island - they say there isn't much however this is the most beautiful island of them all - walk around it in 45 mins, various places to snorkle - my friends snorkled out to the reef and said it was great. There is a market on the island so take your money as there are some really nice things to purchase and look for the 2 cannibals - their 'show' was great to sit and watch.

Alas we didn't get to Noumea due to industrial action so we did Isle of Pines for the extra day - was ok but overcast all day.

Last trip to Vila was lucky enough to score a great taxi driver. You can contact him directly on the email below (tell him Trevor sent you and you should get him for $150 for the day)I told him what we wanted to see and he planned our day, took us to all the sights, waited at the car to guard our gear whilst we were swimming and took us to some other fantastic places we didn't even know about that were on the way. At the end of the day, dropped us at one end of town, and waited for us at the other end so we could do our duty free shopping. Met us 3/4 of the way back and even helped carry our bottles of grog. Great guy, good English and a safe driver. Air conditioned van and reasonably late model in good condition. His email address is jonassumu@gmail.com

note: I have no monetary affiliation or interest in this guy, just passing on what I considered to be the best experience I and the other three in my group have ever had in port Vila. So back off "fun police"

Just back from islands last Tuesday

Mystery Island - There is a market on the island so take your money as there are some really nice things to purchase and look for the 2 cannibals

Kate59, can you give me some idea of what sort of things at the market and the range of prices. We are doing this island cruise in November and have no idea how many $$$ we will need. We are certainly not going for the 'shopping' however we like to support the local population by buying something. Did you take $Aus or convert to the local currency. Is $Aus100 - 150 for the day over the top for what is available. Don't really want to come home with Pacific Peso's in my possession ...

Many thanks

Anne-Marie

Kate59, can you give me some idea of what sort of things at the market and the range of prices. We are doing this island cruise in November and have no idea how many $$$ we will need. We are certainly not going for the 'shopping' however we like to support the local population by buying something. Did you take $Aus or convert to the local currency. Is $Aus100 - 150 for the day over the top for what is available. Don't really want to come home with Pacific Peso's in my possession ...

Many thanks

Anne-Marie

They have a large range of clothing, homewares, souvenirs and lots of trinkets.

I know they accept US $$.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_snapz/3483407322/

I was on the Carnival Spirit and things have improved on her compared to the early reviews.

I took South Pacific Francs but they were happy to take Aussie $ (some it was a direct conversion whereas others were slightly cheaper for the SP francs - or a mixture. Suggest if you are taking A$ then make sure you carry plenty of $5 & $10 - if they have to give you change it will be in South Pacific francs.

On the Isle of Pines if you go to the shop near the hotel they have a page of exchange rates worked out - but make sure you know the current exchange rate cause some of their conversions were a bit weird.

I deliberately took about $60 AUD ashore on Mystery Island in my fold up hang around my neck waterproof pouch. I bought a snorkelling tour on a local boat. This was excellent and cost $20. There were more extensive snorkeling tours promising turtles for $50 per boat or $20 pp. There is a "tour desk" just off the tender wharf. It is BYO gear and you need to be able to get on and off the boat using a sling over the side ladder. I also indulged in lobster - $15 for small (very) and up to $40 for the larger ones. Beer is about $8.00 for a cold can. All costed in AUD . If you need then take salt and pepper packets with you - there are none on offer but there was lemon.

I deliberately took about $60 AUD ashore on Mystery Island in my fold up hang around my neck waterproof pouch. I bought a snorkelling tour on a local boat. This was excellent and cost $20. There were more extensive snorkeling tours promising turtles for $50 per boat or $20 pp. There is a "tour desk" just off the tender wharf. It is BYO gear and you need to be able to get on and off the boat using a sling over the side ladder. I also indulged in lobster - $15 for small (very) and up to $40 for the larger ones. Beer is about $8.00 for a cold can. All costed in AUD . If you need then take salt and pepper packets with you - there are none on offer but there was lemon.

If anyone is planning to buy lobster I suggest you do it fairly early in the day. There is no refrigeration or even ice to keep the lobsters cool prior to sale.

Archived