Cruising with a toddler

jaycat

DS is 4, has been on 3 cruises, and keeps asking when our next one will be. We found cruising to be one of the easiest ways to have a relaxing vacation with babies/toddlers because everything is in one place. No packing up and loading them into the car to get anywhere. If I'm going to pay a fortune for a all-inclusive resort, I'd rather see several tropical locations in one vacation. And since we live near a home port, I don't have to fly! No, it's not a vacation from parenting, but it's still a vacation from the office, cooking, cleaning, etc.

Tips for toddlers vary a little depending on the age of the toddler. There used to be a list floating around this board with recommendations for stuff to pack.

- others have already mentioned pack all meds (we always have infant tylenol/advil, a thermometer, benadryl, hydrocortisone cream, aloe gel for sunburns, diaper rash cream when DS was still in diapers)

-any must-have to sleep items (favorite blanket, stuffed toy, bedtime storybooks, etc). You can request a PnP/travel crib on most lines. Or have the room steward turn the couch around to enclose a bed for a little one who might still roll out of bed. Or there are inflatable bumpers that tuck underneath sheets.

-sunblock! lots of sunblock!

-trick for packing diapers - open up the package and stuff them in the outer pockets of your suitcases. They can also double as padding for any more fragile items. bring more dipes and wipes than you think you'll need. We set up a changing station in our room so that we had the mat, diapers and wipes all set up for use. There are usually changing tables in the kids club bathroom and they will usually let you go in solely to change your child's diaper. The other public restrooms might not have one. We usually tour the ship as soon as we board to look for baby-changing amenities. Once DS was potty trained, we still needed to know where every public restroom was to be able to run to the nearest one with him on a moment's notice. Using a backpack for a diaper bag in place of traditional shoulder bag diaper bags is easier too when you're out for a full day in port. The scented disposal bags (we use the arm and hammer ones) do wonders for keeping a cabin from reeking of soiled diapers.

-small bottle of dish soap for bottles/sippy cups

-disposable stuff - we used take-n-toss sippy cups, utensils, and bowls so I wouldn't feel bad about anything getting lost or could throw them out at the end of the trip. When he was younger, we also used disposable bibs and placemats.

-plan packaged food for port day snacks, especially if you anticipate activities that might have a long stretch between meals, or have any dietary restrictions. We'd use the cereal boxes from the buffet, but also packed with us a couple juice/milk boxes, and applesauce in a squeeze pouch.

-small inflatable pool or duck bathtub for non-potty-trained kids to splash around in because they can't go in the pool and doubled as DS's bathtub since he was not used to showers. Alternatively, get the toddler used to being rinsed off w/ a held-held shower hose.

-balance the size of the stroller with the need for storage. Lightweight is good but it also helps to have a good size storage basket underneath. Hallways will be really narrow and steering a stroller through can be tight. Alternatively, consider wearing a baby/toddler in a carrier, when (s)he is too tired out to walk and you're in a crowded space like the buffet.

-If you're in FL as the departure port, note that you will need a carseat in cabs.

-look for flexibility in dinner seating time if that better suits your child. We still mostly ate in the MDR rather than the buffet, but would stick with NCL, or anytime/mytime dining on other lines where dining times are not set. We mostly ate as early as possible before DS would be tired and cranky from a day out.

-We packed small non-noise-making toys that we wouldn't be upset about losing to occupy him in various places - think McDonald's happy meal-type toys, matchbox cars, wedding favor-sized bottles of bubbles, a coloring book, etc. We only used the bubbles on our balcony or on land though to avoid making a public deck slippery.

-Even if the toddler is too young for kids clubs, a lot of ships still have programs for the youngest cruisers that are parent-accompanied so check the daily schedules for them. We've seen stroller walks, baby playrooms, mommy and me arts and craft classes, etc.

Most of all, be flexible and relaxed in order to accommodate the little ones. This is not the trip for following a rigid sightseeing schedule or having to squeeze in every possible activity. If your toddler needs certain routines to be happy and sociable, then maintain them. Anticipate the child's triggers for crankiness like being overtired or hungry. Go with their flow and enjoy the trip!

I would not want to be in the cabin next to a screaming toddler or baby.

I wouldn't want to be in a cabin next to an intolerant troll. Sometimes it happens though.

Thanks for stopping by the Family Cruise forum, come again!

One other thing that worked well was grabbing several cartons of milk at breakfast & putting them in the fridge for nap & bed time.

We took a small umbrella stroller that we bought to use when we go to Disney. We used it in 1 port & that's all, but I was glad we had it just in case. It was easy to store too.

I wouldn't want to be in a cabin next to an intolerant troll. Sometimes it happens though.

This thread was originally in the Carnival Thread where unfortunately there are a few kid haters. Thankfully moderators moved it to here where the OP will get some good advice without the unhelpful commentary in between.

This thread was originally in the Carnival Thread where unfortunately there are a few kid haters. Thankfully moderators moved it to here where the OP will get some good advice without the unhelpful commentary in between.

Gotcha. Sometimes I just have to jump on these things...

I was thinking this exactly. The thing is, parents don't want there kids to be screaming and we feel terrible when they make a scene but what can ya do?

I just have to ask those that feel the need to give their opinion on taking children on a cruise. Exactly where in the OPs question did she ask for the pros and cons of taking her child on a cruise? Your posts are making it difficult to find the tips that were asked for. Berating someone for taking their family on a family vacation is not a tip.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This is the best response. I was reading this thread for tips because my 14 month old granddaughter will be taking her first cruise this summer with her parents and her grandparents (me and DH). I didn't really need to read about everyone's opinion on whether or not to take her.

Thought of something else....applesauce pouches. I had just a couple as last resorts for port days, and I wish I would have taken more (and veggie pouches too). Come in handy when there's a wait for meals.

Also someone on our cruise gave us a tip we'll use: the cover/case for camping chairs fit umbrella strollers, for easy carrying.

Also, as a working mom, I valued my cruise with my little girl. No phone, no computer, just us. Enjoy seeing it all through her eyes!

Thought of something else....applesauce pouches. I had just a couple as last resorts for port days, and I wish I would have taken more (and veggie pouches too). Come in handy when there's a wait for meals.

Also someone on our cruise gave us a tip we'll use: the cover/case for camping chairs fit umbrella strollers, for easy carrying.

Also, as a working mom, I valued my cruise with my little girl. No phone, no computer, just us. Enjoy seeing it all through her eyes!

Great tips! I always try to keep an applesauce pouch with me.

As another working mom, I agree with you about the cruise time with my little girl...truly treasured time!

Thanks for all the nifty info. Keep the positive response coming. We are on Carnival with a balcony room. She will be 16mos and the cruise is next year.

Some items I will purchase at the end of the summer when things are on sale.....better quality at a cheaper price.

We took DS on a cruise at 16 months and had a blast! We are taking DS (now 3.5, and DD who will be 17 months) in September again. Cruising iwth a toddler is different, but still enjoyable!

My tips..

We packed lots of snacks, and took cereal boxes as well. We also did My Time Dining so that we wouldn't be running around like crazy trying to hit a 5:30 dining time, or waiting for a 7:30. We usually did 6 or 6:30 which was plenty of time to take a good nap. Thankfully DH doesnt mind staying in the room, he's not a big pool fan, so i'd go out each afternoon and lay out/read/have a drink while they napped- it was great!

DS was completely freaked out by having to shower, so maybe try and acclimate beforehand, or bring a small portable blow up tub. We also brought a sturdy stroller with a deep recline and sun shade (Britax Blink)- we would take DS to the shows or wherever after dinner and usually he'd fall asleep in the stroller, so we' d be able to stay out a bit later. We also really liked staying onboard during port days...the ship was nearly empty and we'd have the pool to ourselves. We didn't bring a carseat, and didn't want to risk taxis with DS. Still figuring out how we're going to do things this time.

Tons of sunscreen, and more diapers than you think you'll need. We also brought his fave stuffed animal from home, and also borrowed some toys from the kids club. We brought a portable dvd player with a couple of movies too so taht if we were relaxing in the room he could watch something and we could as well. This time I think i'll download a few movies to the Kindle instead.

For sleeping, our room steward had a great idea instead of having a big pack and play taking up the entire room, he suggested turning the couch around so that it faced the wall. He made it up like a bed each night and it worked perfectly.

GL!

-

Also, bringing a rashguard was very helpful- the sun is so strong, and we didn't have to worry about applying sunscreen/missing spots on his arms/chest/back. A wide brimmed sunhat as well. We got a few longsleeved ones at the end of the year from One Step Ahead (sunsmarties).

Another thing was we brought a pack of bendy straws so that we didn't have to tote sippy cups around the ship. We'd hold the glass and just let him drink out of it. A bendy straw made it so much easier.

We did the nursery a few nights too- it was so nice to get out with DH alone- like a mini vacation for us. We wouldn't go until 8 or so, he was usually asleep by then and we didn't feel like we were missing anything with him. We also got him dressed up a few nights and the pictures we have from the photographers on formal night are so cute! That's really the only souveniers that we buy.

Powdered Pedialyte.

My kids have been on 4 cruises. The only thing I'll so differently is bring some Matchbox cars for them this time now that they are old enough to keep track of them.

iPad for the long dinners.

Some nights you may not make it to dinner. Carnival has the best tuna sandwich I've ever had.

Let them try different foods. So many people I see - not just on cruises - automatically order their kids chicken fingers / hot dog / grilled cheese. I say let them try EVERYTHING. People always express surprise that my kids eat things like olives... fish... salads... even escargot... it is because we have always given them the chance. A cruise is a great time for them to try new things.

Absolutely! All three of my children (including the 19month old) eat just about everything. We started cruising with the children when the older two were 3 and 4 and they both completely enjoyed trying all the new dishes available to them on the ship. My son discovered that although he loves soup and fruit, he's not super keen on the cold fruit soups. Our daughter (now 5) discovered that she loves mussels and different types of salads.

It's a great opportunity to try different things in a cost effective way!

:) amcb

if traveling in Europe, try to find some books about the places you will see and read them to your little one before cruising. There are some pop up books available about most of the major cities and it's great to see them recognize the things they've seen in books. This also works really well with slightly older children (4 and 5).

:) amcb

if traveling in Europe, try to find some books about the places you will see and read them to your little one before cruising. There are some pop up books available about most of the major cities and it's great to see them recognize the things they've seen in books. This also works really well with slightly older children (4 and 5).

I love this idea! We are not going to Europe but I am definitely going to get the 2 year old a book with some pictures of beaches, ships, etc. Or maybe just show him photos from our last cruise :)

I love this idea! We are not going to Europe but I am definitely going to get the 2 year old a book with some pictures of beaches, ships, etc. Or maybe just show him photos from our last cruise :)

You can make your own book with your photos with shutter fly.

Edited by bplazo

I love the idea of letting them try new things, but my son went from the "try" phase into the "no" phase, and getting him to try new things at home has been impossible, yet he will try all kinds of things at his day care/Montesori school. I am definitely willing to let him try new things on the ship, but he is more likely to throw a tantrum than eat something new. Has anyone dealt with this?

I am seeking advice as I would like to expand his palate to more than grilled cheese and tomato soup (he will not touch nuggets or Mac-n-cheese or noodle of any kind). :)

I'd rather not pay thousands of dollars for something she won't remember.

Cancel Christmas so :-D

Great tips here folks- my DD will be 3 on our cruise in Oct and I am so excited to take her on the trip.