room service breakfast on early port days

mirsown

I've sailed with NCL previously, but never used room service so hoping you wise people out there will be able to help me :). I'm thinking of ordering breakfast on a couple of mornings on upcoming Baltics cruise on days when we dock early and have to be off the ship asap to meet private tour. My questions are can you specify what time or are you just given maybe an hours slot in which it may arrive? Or is there a better option I haven't considered? We will be staying in a BA cabin - one day we'll book suite (well a girl can dream, can't she?!)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]You can certainly specify a time, no problem! We did this a lot on our Western Med Epic cruise as we were up and about very early for trips! If anything, breakfast arrived 5 minutes earlier than the time we requested! :)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]The room service menu is quite limited though, from what I remember, Stuff like pastries, croissants and cereals really, but enough to see us right for the day!! :)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Another option - while my wife was getting ready, I would go up to buffet and bring back a "sampler" plate with goodies to eat before leaving.

Also, swinging by the buffet on the way off the ship works well too.

Meltingmoments, thankyou so much for your prompt reply! I recently read your review of your western Med cruise, and I have to say I'm already hooked and thinking that will be the next one! :)

[quote name='mirsown']Meltingmoments, thankyou so much for your prompt reply! I recently read your review of your western Med cruise, and I have to say I'm already hooked and thinking that will be the next one! :)[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]You're very welcome!! :)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]That Western Med cruise was amazing.....I would absolutely recommend it.....and glad you enjoyed my review! :)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]garycarla's suggestion of one going to the buffet whilst the other gets ready is a good one too!! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]People always have good ideas here on CC.........that's why I love it! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

On some of the ships you can go to the blue lagoon I think starting at 5 am for a breakfast buffet. The regular buffet doesn't open until 7 am I think. We always order our coffee to have on the balcony but the earliest you could get it was 6 or 6:30 am.

You can specify what time you want it delivered.
They will call you a few moments before they deliver it to your cabin, so you are ready and no one is surprised when they knock on the door.
We usually find they are a few minutes early, which is usually good.
:)

[quote name='Da-Painter']You can specify what time you want it delivered.
They will call you a few moments before they deliver it to your cabin, so you are ready and no one is surprised when they knock on the door.
We usually find they are a few minutes early, which is usually good.
:)[/quote]

We were on the Epic in April, first time we ordered breakfast, they came 5 minutes early. Cool. Second time they were 30-40 minutes early. We were a little upset that day, would have liked the extra sleep

[quote name='mirsown']I've sailed with NCL previously, but never used room service so hoping you wise people out there will be able to help me :). I'm thinking of ordering breakfast on a couple of mornings on upcoming Baltics cruise on days when we dock early and have to be off the ship asap to meet private tour. My questions are can you specify what time or are you just given maybe an hours slot in which it may arrive? Or is there a better option I haven't considered? We will be staying in a BA cabin - one day we'll book suite (well a girl can dream, can't she?!)[/QUOTE]

I essentially agree with what everyone has said. We didn't get much use from room service because it is so limited. No egg or meat. NO PROTEIN! Find out when the buffet opens and swing through there real quick if that works. It doesn't take long at all. I'd only use room service if there literally was no other option for breakfast. We really pack our shore excursions with activity, so a pastry and glass of OJ isn't enough for me to get some early am energy.

Your private tour will wait for you if you're a little late, so don't be too concerned with that. HOWEVER, on the other hand, it is nice to get out early and be on your way before the buses pull out. There's nothing like arriving at a major site and having it to yourself for a little while.

On the Gem we always went to Blue Lagoon for breakfast. It was right down the hall from us and much better than dealing with buffet crowds. It was always table service, no buffet as mentioned earlier. Food there is always fresh prepared and there was a variety of choices including omelettes etc. You can get anything on the menu to go! They also had a self serve coffee machine with cups to go! Great for early mornings! We often saw the CD grabbing his morning coffee there! Blue Lagoon is open 24 hours and a great alternative to room service!

[quote name='Homecruiser'] You can get anything on the menu to go! They also had a self serve coffee machine with cups to go! Great for early mornings! We often saw the CD grabbing his morning coffee there! Blue Lagoon is open 24 hours and a great alternative to room service![/quote]

With my last cruise on the Pearl I am beginning to think NCL is changing their 'to go' policy in restaurants. It used to be you could just tell your waiter you wanted to take a plate of such and such and they would prepare it for you and you would walk out with it.

I tried this once in Summer Palace and they insisted it would be delivered to my room via room service. I said ok and when we got back to the room, the goodies were already waiting on the table. Same thing happened in Blue Lagoon. Didn't actually see a delivery person either time, so I assume the room steward was nearby to open the room. I hope the delivery person does not let themselves in when nobody is home.

We have always given at least one dollar bill for a tip for room service. For times that we ordered more than two trays of food, we have tipped more. Every time we cruise we bring a bunch of dollar bills for tipping. I keep them in a drawer in the room so our teen will also have access to them for tipping when she orders room service.:)

--Susan

[quote name='susanNjay']We have always given at least one dollar bill for a tip for room service. For times that we ordered more than two trays of food, we have tipped more. Every time we cruise we bring a bunch of dollar bills for tipping. I keep them in a drawer in the room so our teen will also have access to them for tipping when she orders room service.:)

--Susan[/quote]

I think we all know better than to give a quarter (at least, I hope so). I don't know why that poster said "small change," which does mean coins.

[quote name='tempura']I think we all know better than to give a quarter (at least, I hope so). I don't know why that poster said "small change," which does mean coins.[/QUOTE]

My mistake. Should I say 'small bills'?
Sorry, English is not my first language. Thank you for correction.

Michael (that poster)

[quote name='anandaindonesia']My mistake. Should I say 'small bills'?
Sorry, English is not my first language. Thank you for correction.

Michael (that poster)[/quote]

"Small bills" or "singles." "Change" is generally used for coins unless you're saying something like, "I think the clerk forgot to give me my change."

[quote name='tempura']"Small bills" or "singles." "Change" is generally used for coins unless you're saying something like, "I think the clerk forgot to give me my change."[/QUOTE]

Thank you.
It's good to learn something that you didn't know before.

Michael

Archived