Can rolling cooler pass as carry on luggage?

skewsus

I know the rule on coolers is 12 x 12 however if I pack my small soft sided rolling cooler, which is about 15 x 18 would I be able to take it on instead of a small rolling suitcase?

The refrigerators in the cabins are lousy for cooling anything and I want to be able to take ice cold water onto the islands.

When will the cruise lines wise up and start selling bottles of frozen water as we exit the ship? I believe they would sell twice as much!

Thanks!

Not in the past. There have been several posts that rolling coolers were not allowed to be brought onboard.

I have not seen these posts recently so maybe some ports are not so strict, but in the past they have stopped them and you would have to hand over your illegal cooler to board.

PS you can get by with a collasible cooler in your checked luggage if its empty and folded in your checked luggage. Or my PVP said use one of the two waste baskets if the ice bucket isnt big enough.

I was hoping to bring one in order to keep my daughters milk and formula bottles. I don't want to rely on the fridge (that doesn't cool well) or ice bucket to keep her milk cold. Ill of course bring it empty with just her supplies in it, so hopefully it wont be an issue.

If you fill the roller cooler (not larger than standard airline carryone bags) with clothing and other typical carryon items, you might be able to get it past security. If it is filled with non-cooled beverages only, they will most likely see it as a cooler and while you'll be able to somehow carry the items on board--via trashbags, pockets, arms--the cooler will stay behind.

The suggestions here for collapsible cooler should be taken seriously. These are inexpensive and readily available on line or in large box stores. I saw 3 stacks in the local Costco last week, $12.95, held up to 50 cans, IIRC. Worried about leakage? Test before leaving. Bring a large yard bag to put inside if there are leaks in your test. Put the opened cooler in the bathroom or shower in your cabin instead of on the carpet. Collapsible coolers also make a great, easily carried way to pack up souvenirs or dirty laundry when you're returning home.

We just packed our soft side cooler in our luggage. Took it out and filled it with ice once on board. It was just as easy for us to put drinks in rolling carry on and swap drinks to soft side cooler once in cabin.. WE had a dozen iced drinks on hand at all times...:)

I have used it as my carry on every cruise, three different lines and never have a problem. Very similar to this one, just black or green ( since we have two). We pack it like any other carry on, I have used it in flying down, no problems either.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1370524446399.jpg.baf991a9a7913d0aebf3e24d905670c0.jpg

we have alway carried on a soft sided cooler 12" by 12" rolling cooler but in Jacksonville they said it too large, they let us take in on but then last year in Pt. Canaveral they took it and would not let it onboard. we had drinks inside of it and they told us that if we had clothes in it they would have let us take it onboard, we had to take drinks out of it and they took cooler. best to pack it in luggage.

we have alway carried on a soft sided cooler 12" by 12" rolling cooler but in Jacksonville they said it too large, they let us take in on but then last year in Pt. Canaveral they took it and would not let it onboard. we had drinks inside of it and they told us that if we had clothes in it they would have let us take it onboard, we had to take drinks out of it and they took cooler. best to pack it in luggage.

Maybe this is why it has worked for us- I have everything in it. A change of cloths, suntan lotion, the large bottles of shampoo/conditioner/hair products (I take all these out of our actual luggage and put them in this bag to carry onboard)-makes searching my luggage by them not necessary.:D DH usually has the wine & a change of cloths in the other one, along with his electronics (camera/cords/kindle etc.......)

I have used it as my carry on every cruise, three different lines and never have a problem. Very similar to this one, just black or green ( since we have two). We pack it like any other carry on, I have used it in flying down, no problems either.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

That's the same cooler I tried to take on the Glory from Boston. They took it from me, and I had to carry my 2 12pks of NAB in my arms. I was po'd. Good thing i kept them in their packs.:mad:

That's the same cooler I tried to take on the Glory from Boston. They took it from me, and I had to carry my 2 12pks of NAB in my arms. I was po'd. Good thing i kept them in their packs.:mad:

Sorry to hear that happened to you, I'd be po'd as well. I'll let you know how I make out next March because we will be doing it again when we board Liberty. :D

We always pack our cooler with towels and sandals, etc..and check it as luggage.

Then we carry our drinks on as carry on.

As soon as we arrive at the cabin, we ask the steward to fill it with ice and we put our drinks in there until the last night. Then refill with other items again.

Bill

Last month on our Ecstasy cruise, the people in front of us had a rolling cooler. They were told that the size was ok but they had to check inside of it. Then, security took every bottle out and checked them. I am not sure of the size of the cooler but I would check with Carnival and see what the size restriction is.

you can find any number of recent stories regarding this issue...

i think it is like anything else, it depends on who is at the checkpoint, and what kind of a mood are they in.

I have read that people were not allowed to carry on their tote bag coolers...even without any beverages in them. people carried their clothing in them, and because it had an insulated lining, they were not allowed to bring it on.

you can also read stories where people had not problems carrying them on.

so, like always, it's clear as mud!

like gambling? it sounds like if you don't follow their guidelines, you may or may not get away with it. it's a 50/50 shot. I love gambling! is the reward worth the risk?

Archived