renting a car in Skagway

mickanddoe

This is the first time I've seen this -- I'm renting from Avis too ... But I think Murray's is $5. How's the wifi in Skagway .. I suppose you can wait to download there if its a concern but ill likely download it anyway in advance to be safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not concerned about the $5. It's the printing and carrying around the 35 pages that I'd rather skip if it's not needed.

Does anyone know if this free guide is always available there. I was just getting ready to buy the Murray's guide when I saw this. Makes no sense to print off all those pages and haul them with us if Avis gives you something comparable.

The free guide (last updated about 15 years ago judging by the descriptions) is online at http://skagwaynews.com/AK04highwayguide.html You can easily decide if that's the info you need to enjoy the drive.

Rented a car thru Avis a few weeks ago. It was a very smooth process.

Unfortunately though, having booked the cruise last minute, the only available cars that were left were mid-size and up, and it was $120 for the day rental. So as recommended above, it is best to reserve one as soon as one decides to do so.

As also stated above, it was still cheaper than the train (for two) and being able to have the freedom to stop wherever for photo ops as well as continue up to Carcross/Emerald Lake made it a no-brainer decision.

We booked a car with Avis on March 1 for a July 19 pickup, and we paid $120 that far out, so I think you did well to pay just that so close to your cruise!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Do you have an Ipad? We downloaded it and have it on our ipad....

I have not paid for the Murray's guide yet. Once I pay with Paypal, get the email with the attachment, I can then open the PDF file onto my iPad?

Does anyone know if this free guide is always available there. I was just getting ready to buy the Murray's guide when I saw this. Makes no sense to print off all those pages and haul them with us if Avis gives you something comparable.

First, Murray's Guide is well worth the five bucks. Leave early and plan to turn around mid day.(Get gas going and returning.) Of course, this depends on when your ship departs. But, you can easily get to Emerald Lake and back and still have time to tool around the town a bit. Stop at the cinnamon roll place on the way up.

I have not paid for the Murray's guide yet. Once I pay with Paypal, get the email with the attachment, I can then open the PDF file onto my iPad?

Yes, he'll send it to you and you will open the document on your ipad and it will put it into the Kindle app or on your bookshelf.

Also want to mention that with the Murray's Guide, you get a discount on the suspension bridge (I think it's half-off). All you have to do is show the guide.

We rented an Avis car two weeks ago and as others have said, it was one of the highlights of our trip. Having the Murray's Guide really added to the journey and being able to pull over when we wanted was wonderful. The scenery is stunning (and this is after already seeing amazing beauty on the Seward highway). Waterfalls, frozen lakes and a couple bears on the side of the road.

Best,

Mia

Where is that suspension bridge? Would you recommend it?

It's about 30 minutes up the road if you don't stop, which we did, a lot. For us, it was a perfect turnaround point since we didn't want to do the longer drive to Emerald Lake with four kids in the van. For what we paid (with the Murrays Guide discount it was about $50 for 3 adults & 3 kids - I don't remember the breakdown), it was absolutely worth it. Don't think I'd have wanted to spend full price, but it was fun to do and nice to use as our destination before heading back. The scenery along the drive though is what was stunning, and with the Murray's Guide providing historical and general information about what we were seeing, it was all the more wonderful.

Best,

Mia

Thanks, Mia. I just ordered the Guide. So you didn't go all the way to Emerald Lake? (I understand with kids in tow!!) We'll definitely consider the bridge, but we do want to get to the lake, with plenty of time to stop along the way. 2.5 more weeks before we leave!!

Debbie

Archived