renting a car in Skagway

mickanddoe

:rolleyes:Hi need help.. we are doing Alaska cruise June 23 and just wanted to know if any one rented a car for the day and drive the Klondike Highway... we have been to Alaska 2x before and did the train and jeep excursions...thanks

:rolleyes:Hi need help.. we are doing Alaska cruise June 23 and just wanted to know if any one rented a car for the day and drive the Klondike Highway... we have been to Alaska 2x before and did the train and jeep excursions...thanks

Yes you can rent a car in Skagway. There are only two rental outfits in Skagway , one is Avis and the other is Sourdough . Below is the link to

Sourdough

http://www.sourdoughrentals.com/

Avis

https://www.avis.com/car-rental/reservation/time-place-submit.ac

Keep in mind that a passport is required to cross the Canada - US Border both ways.You rent ASAP as cars go fast.

Based on your location, OP, it looks like you are Canadian? If you are planning on driving all the way to the Yukon or into BC, you may want to verify the laws. I remember reading that the Canadian govt was trying to pass something last June that would allow Canadians to drive US rentals into Canada but I'm not sure if that was actually passed. If not, you can still rent a car but you must stay in Alaska.

Based on your location, OP, it looks like you are Canadian? If you are planning on driving all the way to the Yukon or into BC, you may want to verify the laws. I remember reading that the Canadian govt was trying to pass something last June that would allow Canadians to drive US rentals into Canada but I'm not sure if that was actually passed. If not, you can still rent a car but you must stay in Alaska.

Canadians can drive rental cars into Canada from Alaska. The resytriction is on one way rentals from the US to Canada. I regularly rent US cars fom Seattle to drive to Seattle. I can't a Us car to Canada. Closed loop rentals are allowed.

Canadians can drive rental cars into Canada from Alaska. The resytriction is on one way rentals from the US to Canada. I regularly rent US cars fom Seattle to drive to Seattle. I can't a Us car to Canada. Closed loop rentals are allowed.

Has it always been that way? When I was planning our cruise last year, I came across a lot of posts saying it couldn't be done. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough!

Yes you can rent a car in Skagway. There are only two rental outfits in Skagway , one is Avis and the other is Sourdough . Below is the link to

Sourdough

http://www.sourdoughrentals.com/

Avis

https://www.avis.com/car-rental/reservation/time-place-submit.ac

Keep in mind that a passport is required to cross the Canada - US Border both ways.You rent ASAP as cars go fast.

There's also green jeep for self-drive jeep rentals:

http://www.alaskagreenjeeptours.com/

OMG we did this last year on our Alaska X cruise and it was literally the highlight of our trip. We drove to Emerald lake and back. The scenery was breathtaking. Its so easy as there is only one road. Just remember to bring your passport along as the majority of the ride is in Canada's Yukon Territory, so there is a border crossing.

Good luck!

Has it always been that way? When I was planning our cruise last year, I came across a lot of posts saying it couldn't be done. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough!

What Canada was trying to stop was the importation of used cars into Canada from the USA . Closed loop rentals aren't a problem. I can rent an RV in Alaska and drive thru Canada to the US without a problem.

There was an issue with cheap used cars being brought into Canada and then sold .

OMG we did this last year on our Alaska X cruise and it was literally the highlight of our trip. We drove to Emerald lake and back. The scenery was breathtaking. Its so easy as there is only one road. Just remember to bring your passport along as the majority of the ride is in Canada's Yukon Territory, so there is a border crossing.

Good luck!

We were in Skagway a couple weeks ago. We walked to the goldrush cemetary. As we got closer, we heard a constant honk, honk, honk. Once there, we saw a couple who had rented a van from Avis. They were trying to leave but the alarm activated and they could not start the car. The keychain had no alarm device, just a key. Looking inside trying to help, there was no alarm indicators at all. This went on for a good 20 minutes. The lady tried to call the rental company over and over, but kept going to voicemail. She was livid.

After another 15 minutes or so of honking, they finally were totally fed up and decided to walk back into town. I would guess about 2 miles. I don't know what finally happened, but how could you rent a car and not mention the alarm to the customer at all and then not answer the phone? These people had been calling for at least one hour.

Just an FYI if you decide to go with Avis.

Just an aside about have the half the distance in Canada is in the province of BC . The border crossing between Canada and the US is in the province of BC . As you travel north you eventually arrive in the Yukon.

We rented a car from Avis when we drove up the highway, had no problems at all. We have taken the train also, but IMO the car beats it by a mile. We stopped in Carcross to see the dog sled camp and museum, what a find . We went Emerald lake, and ate a a diner that is no longer opened and watch mountain sheep on the side of a nearby mt. Nice way to spend the day.

Another vote for renting a car and doing it on your own. We just did this a couple of weeks ago and while it was ridiculously priced for a one day rental, it was still cheaper than the train. And you have freedom to do as you wish when you wish. It really is a lovely, actually a really cool, drive. The landscape in the Yukon is otherworldly. If you rent through Avis, they will give you this little newspaper that has a guide in it to tell you mile by mile what you are seeing. Very nice. We preferred it to Murrays guide, and it was free.

Another vote for renting a car and doing it on your own. We just did this a couple of weeks ago and while it was ridiculously priced for a one day rental, it was still cheaper than the train. And you have freedom to do as you wish when you wish. It really is a lovely, actually a really cool, drive. The landscape in the Yukon is otherworldly. If you rent through Avis, they will give you this little newspaper that has a guide in it to tell you mile by mile what you are seeing. Very nice. We preferred it to Murrays guide, and it was free.

I agree 100 % much better with a car.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Rented a car thru Avis a few weeks ago. It was a very smooth process.

Unfortunately though, having booked the cruise last minute, the only available cars that were left were mid-size and up, and it was $120 for the day rental. So as recommended above, it is best to reserve one as soon as one decides to do so.

As also stated above, it was still cheaper than the train (for two) and being able to have the freedom to stop wherever for photo ops as well as continue up to Carcross/Emerald Lake made it a no-brainer decision.

We just returned Friday from Alaska ! Loved it !! We are Canadian and we rented a car through AVIS. The law changed April 1st, 2012, Canadians are now allowed to rent a US car and drive it through Canada and back. However the US border agent was not aware on our way back and was asking a million questions and was confused as to how I got into Canada with a US rental car. I explained to him the law changed last year. Anyway, he let us go on on our way bck to Alaska. It was a beautiful drive. We managed to drive all the way the Whitehorse.

We rented an SUV $171 taxes included plus $40 for gas. Personally I thought it was a good price considering the train was $500 for two people and spoke to some people who said it was borring. I would definitely rent a car and do it all over again. We went off the highway a few times with Murray's Guide going down some dirt roads to see old mine towns, which you wouldn't see by bus or train.

Just checked. Avis is booked up for June 19th. The day we're in Skagway. :(

So if you want Avis - plan to book more than 9 days in advance.... ;)

be sure to call them as well as looking online - we were able to get a minivan even though the website showed none available.

• 2 weeks later...
We were in Skagway a couple weeks ago. We walked to the goldrush cemetary. As we got closer, we heard a constant honk, honk, honk. Once there, we saw a couple who had rented a van from Avis. They were trying to leave but the alarm activated and they could not start the car. The keychain had no alarm device, just a key. Looking inside trying to help, there was no alarm indicators at all. This went on for a good 20 minutes. The lady tried to call the rental company over and over, but kept going to voicemail. She was livid.

After another 15 minutes or so of honking, they finally were totally fed up and decided to walk back into town. I would guess about 2 miles. I don't know what finally happened, but how could you rent a car and not mention the alarm to the customer at all and then not answer the phone? These people had been calling for at least one hour.

Just an FYI if you decide to go with Avis.

All Avis keys have a fob with them that allows you to deactivate the alarm if it is accidently set off. No plain keys, as all of the cars are newer models. Also, Avis always tries to answer their phone, even when they're busy.... if for some reason they cannot, there is an answering machine. Sounds like this may have been with another company????

....and they are REALLY expensive. When I reserved ours for our trip in may it was $98 for a compact through Avis. To contrast, in Juneau, we paid $34 and in Anchorage, it was $25 - both also through Avis.

Well, considering the cost of the train, it is a lot less and way more fun!

Does anyone know if this free guide is always available there. I was just getting ready to buy the Murray's guide when I saw this. Makes no sense to print off all those pages and haul them with us if Avis gives you something comparable.

Does anyone know if this free guide is always available there. I was just getting ready to buy the Murray's guide when I saw this. Makes no sense to print off all those pages and haul them with us if Avis gives you something comparable.

This is the first time I've seen this -- I'm renting from Avis too ... But I think Murray's is $5. How's the wifi in Skagway .. I suppose you can wait to download there if its a concern but ill likely download it anyway in advance to be safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived