What is the most cost effective way of receiving an important call at sea

steve4031

Greetings,

GF and I are taking a 5 day cruise on the Fascination out of Jacksonville. Normally, I would prescribe to the theory that we don't need to know something until we get back to Jacksonville. However, we might be cruising at a time when my GF close friend who is in her late 80's might have something happen to her, and we would want to know is quickly as possible.

Having somebody call us aboard the ship is prohibitively expensive at 8.50 per minute. I have read some threads about receiving calls on cell phones, and understand that their use can be expensive if not used carefully. I have an I phone, and originally planned to just turn it off. Is it possible to turn off the data, and have it receive calls? I am not expecting other calls except for the original purpose.

Alternately, we can make one daily check up call from the cabin at 1.99 per minute at a certain time. If we do this, we anticipate 5 minutes per day at about 10 dollars per call. Are there hidden charges that I am not aware of?

Thanks.

Does this lady know someone who could post on her behalf if she gets sick?

Its free to post on carnival.com in the "currently onboard" area. You just set up your own family thread.

I plan to do this with my parents both of whom could post to me online. (and they are older than this lady)

then just check your thead daily. I also check up on my parents when Im in port.

Is a call necessary? I have a sick father and I check the email 3 times a day (buy the cheapest package) and if I need to call I call on my cell but I add international calling before I go. Texting isn't horribly expensive either

I am thinking a daily call from the cabin at 1.99 a minute is best. We can also give the info for calling the ship with the understanding that the caller needs a credit card to make the call.

How well does skype work on the ship?

And how much is the internet plan for smart phones?

Thank you

I am thinking a daily call from the cabin at 1.99 a minute is best. We can also give the info for calling the ship with the understanding that the caller needs a credit card to make the call.

How well does skype work on the ship?

And how much is the internet plan for smart phones?

Thank you

the internet plans start at 75 cents PER MINUTE plus a $3.95 set up fee. So if you are not going to use it much, not me.

So, this lady does not know anyone computer savy enough to post on her behalf? She must be really alone, Im sorry.

My thinking is if something happens I cant get home until I reach the next port, so if I wait until Im in a port, internet cafes the phone runs about 30 cents a minute on average (they dont make change).

I dont do europe and I said I would never do a repo cruise, but my parents allowed me to the do the one to Hawaii as a special favor because I used to live there.

My Dad is 94 almost 95, so I would get home from the next port on a cruise if something happened.

I also dont drive any more to Florida because it would take me 2 days to drive home. I did that once and got home about 3 pm the 2nd day and my Dad never let us forget it.. so now I fly to Florida or any port I cant drive home from in one day.

just keep in mind if you turn on your phone to text, you are turning on your background data as well.

I see it this way..

.if it's REALLY important to receive that news, have the person call you. Then just pay them back when you get home. that way, no news is good news and you are not spending time waiting on sloooooow internet onboard or spending money calling to check in when there is nothing to report.

Trust that people will notify you if needed. And if it's really that important, than price shouldn't matter.

If something happened to my family or bff, the last thing i'd be concerned with is the price of someone calling me honestly.

The other option is, wait until the cruise is over to get the info. If you plan to disembark during the cruise after receiving the news then I can see why you need the info. but if there is nothing you can/plan to do after you get the news....why worry about something you cannot change.

I tell my parents what ship Im on and tell them to call Carnival (or RCL etc) and have them get a emergency message to me.

I think if it was really life or death, Carnival would give the message to the ship free and you could get it. I could be wrong.

We are going to provide the shore to ship number and offer to reimburse for emergency calls. We will also call each day from the cabin at 1.99 a minute. The calls would be short.

I agree it would be easier if everybody used email, but that is not the case here, so we have to find a way of getting it done that is cost effective for us yet allowing for peace of mind.

I appreciate the detailed information about internet service aboard the ship and in port, This helped me narrow down are choices, and to leave skype alone and just work with the cabin phone.

We are going to provide the shore to ship number and offer to reimburse for emergency calls. We will also call each day from the cabin at 1.99 a minute. The calls would be short.

I agree it would be easier if everybody used email, but that is not the case here, so we have to find a way of getting it done that is cost effective for us yet allowing for peace of mind.

I appreciate the detailed information about internet service aboard the ship and in port, This helped me narrow down are choices, and to leave skype alone and just work with the cabin phone.

Calling from the ship has, since they have dropped the price, proved to be the most economical for me. I have to call in to my office every couple of days and usually I am on the phone for just a couple of minutes unless there is something really happening. It is amazing how much you can get done in 2 minutes.

Alternately, we can make one daily check up call from the cabin at 1.99 per minute at a certain time. If we do this, we anticipate 5 minutes per day at about 10 dollars per call. Are there hidden charges that I am not aware of?

Thanks.

There are no hidden charges for the $1.99 per minute phone calls. The only thing is the connection was not that good the last time I made a call. Previously, from the Pacific all the way to just north of Lake Ontario, the reception was great.

If there is a good satellite connection, I call from the ship, using Truphone - a free app on my iphone. It uses the internet for the call (similar to Skype) but I have found the reception better. I tend to buy an internet package on the ship anyway, so using a minute or two to check messages at home and check on my mother is very reasonable. Truphone came with a 5 dollar credit- you set it up from your home computer and give your credit card number and every time the amount left drops under about 4 or 5 dollars, ten dollars is charged to your credit card and the time you buy does not expire. It is anywhere from about 2 cents to 20 cents a minute for a call, so after three years, I have spent only about 4 dollars. It uses up internet minutes, but if you don't stay on the phone long, it is not many. Also, if you are in port and pass a place with free wifi, you won't even use up your minutes from the ship.

Even better is if you call somebody on their iphone who also has the application, the call is free.

Greetings,

GF and I are taking a 5 day cruise on the Fascination out of Jacksonville. Normally, I would prescribe to the theory that we don't need to know something until we get back to Jacksonville. However, we might be cruising at a time when my GF close friend who is in her late 80's might have something happen to her, and we would want to know is quickly as possible.

Having somebody call us aboard the ship is prohibitively expensive at 8.50 per minute. I have read some threads about receiving calls on cell phones, and understand that their use can be expensive if not used carefully. I have an I phone, and originally planned to just turn it off. Is it possible to turn off the data, and have it receive calls? I am not expecting other calls except for the original purpose.

Thanks.

Yes you can shut data roaming off. In fact it is the default setting.

Archived