*Adventure OTS or Jewel OTS for S. Caribbean cruise?

We are looking at spring break period. Looks like one ship has a more port intensive itinerary than the other, i.e. Jewel. One does st Croix, Barbados, St Lucia, etc and the other does Aruba, Curaçao and etc. I have also noticed that Adventure is cheaper.

Based on Itin, I would do Jewel in a heartbeat. Those are our favorite islands - Antigua, St Lucia, St Maarten and Barbados. Can take or leave Aruba. Yes, Adventure is bigger, but if you love great islands, I would do Jewel with that itin over Adventure any day of the week

The teenagers might like the billiard tables on Jewel that aren't available on Adventure. I also prefer the Seaview Cafe (and the free price) to Johnny Rockets ($4.95 each time + milk shakes).

Other than that, I think Adventure has more for the teenagers like:

in-line skating

ice skating (both to watch the shows and to skate yourself)

A full size sports court instead of the half sized court on Jewel

A much larger teen hangout areas in Adventure Ocean

2 swimming pools instead of the 1 on Jewel

The Royal Promenade and everything on it (including pizza available any time they want it)

More kids their own age to hang out with

I've heard rumors of this being "upgraded " to a Johnny Rockets, UGH. We love the food at the SeaView Cafe. I liked to run up there and grab a Cuban sandwich and onion rings before a show.

I've heard rumors of this being "upgraded " to a Johnny Rockets, UGH. We love the food at the SeaView Cafe. I liked to run up there and grab a Cuban sandwich and onion rings before a show.

The Seaview Cafe will be unfortunately replaced for sure the next time Jewel goes into drydock, but I doubt it will be Johnny Rockets. The other 3 Radiance class ships recently had their Seaview Cafe removed and replaced with specialty restaurants (Izumi on Serenade and Brilliance, Samba Grill on Radiance).

It is really sad they are taking away a great "included" restaurant and replacing it with more specialty dining. Does a 90,000 ton ship really need 5 specialty restaurants? This is what happens when bean counters make the decisions about ship renovations.

Both are great ships with amazing itineraries. As much as I love the Radiance class ships, I'd also give a slight edge to Adventure because of the kids.

We have done each of them and love both so much we couldn't decide for next year. So we are doing both back to back! :D

Sailing the Jewel, spending the night in San Juan then getting on the Adventure. Best of both worlds.

good for you. enjoy.

I'm not sure what to expect sailing out of San Juan, what is the passenger mix? Any particular nationality in minority or is it a multi-nationality mix?

I think you will find it similar to a like cruise out of South Florida... large percentage from North America, US and Canada with some European representation. What can make it feel a little different, is in that US component there maybe a significant number of folks from Puerto Rico which may make seem more international.

The Seaview Cafe will be unfortunately replaced for sure the next time Jewel goes into drydock, but I doubt it will be Johnny Rockets. The other 3 Radiance class ships recently had their Seaview Cafe removed and replaced with specialty restaurants (Izumi on Serenade and Brilliance, Samba Grill on Radiance).

It is really sad they are taking away a great "included" restaurant and replacing it with more specialty dining. Does a 90,000 ton ship really need 5 specialty restaurants? This is what happens when bean counters make the decisions about ship renovations.

Cruising certainly is loosing the "all inclusive" feel. I tend to ignore that stuff, but lately everything is a "buy up" and it's every where constantly on the CD morning shows and the daily planners Not just eateries but cupcakes, coffees, paid activities.

My teens enjoyed their cruise on Jewel, but loved their cruise in Allure - and I think Adventure has more "teen beloved" features like Oasis and Freedom class do, but not as many. We haven't sailed Adventure, but other Mariner Class ships multiple times and they have the Royal Promenade, which is a mall like section with shops and cafes and bars...kids enjoy this as an interior central gathering and meeting place.

We have Jewel S booked again for just the adults this time, its a beautiful ship, but very sedate, I'm willing to bet it will be an older crowd...with more younger people on Adventure. If its also cheaper (and I've noticed that an Adventure cruise I was considering keeps dropping in price while the Jewel I did book keeps increasing) I'd go for Adventure for sure!

Don't shy away from a cruise with an international "mix" of passengers ; my teens met pals from Brazil and Canada and are still in touch- teens aren't as afraid of meeting people from different cultures as some cruisers are, so don't let that be a deterrent. :D

My teens enjoyed their cruise on Jewel, but loved their cruise in Allure - and I think Adventure has more "teen beloved" features like Oasis and Freedom class do, but not as many. We haven't sailed Adventure, but other Mariner Class ships multiple times and they have the Royal Promenade, which is a mall like section with shops and cafes and bars...kids enjoy this as an interior central gathering and meeting place.

We have Jewel S booked again for just the adults this time, its a beautiful ship, but very sedate, I'm willing to bet it will be an older crowd...with more younger people on Adventure. If its also cheaper (and I've noticed that an Adventure cruise I was considering keeps dropping in price while the Jewel I did book keeps increasing) I'd go for Adventure for sure!

Don't shy away from a cruise with an international "mix" of passengers ; my teens met pals from Brazil and Canada and are still in touch- teens aren't as afraid of meeting people from different cultures as some cruisers are, so don't let that be a deterrent. :D

Looks more and more that Adventure has the edge. Our group does not like a port intensive sailing. They also tell me they want a ship with the Royal Promenade.

With respect to a cruise with an international "mix", we actually like that aspect. I think it is wonderful to meet different people from different cultures. There is always something you can learn. It is IMHO good exposure. We are all from somewhere.

Looks more and more that Adventure has the edge. Our group does not like a port intensive sailing. They also tell me they want a ship with the Royal Promenade.

With respect to a cruise with an international "mix", we actually like that aspect. I think it is wonderful to meet different people from different cultures. There is always something you can learn. It is IMHO good exposure. We are all from somewhere.

we also like the promenade but are willing to try a smaller ship to get into different ports.

Both ships are fine ships, but I'd give a slight nod to Adventure because of the kids. They would probably find Adventure a bit more interesting.

Hello Bob- would you have any pictures of a GS or JS balcony on Adventure you could please share? I think I recall you saying that you have sailed on Adventure too. Thank you!

Hello Bob- would you have any pictures of a GS or JS balcony on Adventure you could please share? I think I recall you saying that you have sailed on Adventure too. Thank you!

Yes, we've sailed on Adventure, only in a JS, but I don't have any photos of the balcony. Sorry.

If you are thinking of a JS, I would highly recommend staying in an aft facing cabin. The balcony is absolutely huge in comparison to a JS on the hump or elsewhere. With two teens, having the extra space can really be nice. The only thing you may want to be aware of is that you have to look through the aft superstructure for your view from the balcony. Was never an issue for us given the extra space and the view of the wake can be mesmerizing. We have stayed in JS7394 on Voyager class and would pick that room every time. The balcony is fully covered on deck 7 so if you are sun worshipers then go up a deck or two for more sun on the balcony. For us, we love and need the shade.

Now of course if you can go with the price of a Grand Suite, the extra space inside the cabin will be much appreciated with two teens and you get some nice perks if you stay in a full Suite.

We are on Adventurer in Feb 2014 and the Grand Suites are booked and the cost of two connecting D1 cabins was significantly less than a JS so we are trying two D1s for the first time. Extra bathroom will be nice and we will see how we feel about D1s.

Good luck with your choice.....my vote is Adventure for teens but I have never been on Jewel or comparable class.

If you are thinking of a JS, I would highly recommend staying in an aft facing cabin. The balcony is absolutely huge in comparison to a JS on the hump or elsewhere. With two teens, having the extra space can really be nice. The only thing you may want to be aware of is that you have to look through the aft superstructure for your view from the balcony. Was never an issue for us given the extra space and the view of the wake can be mesmerizing. We have stayed in JS7394 on Voyager class and would pick that room every time. The balcony is fully covered on deck 7 so if you are sun worshipers then go up a deck or two for more sun on the balcony. For us, we love and need the shade.

Now of course if you can go with the price of a Grand Suite, the extra space inside the cabin will be much appreciated with two teens and you get some nice perks if you stay in a full Suite.

We are on Adventurer in Feb 2014 and the Grand Suites are booked and the cost of two connecting D1 cabins was significantly less than a JS so we are trying two D1s for the first time. Extra bathroom will be nice and we will see how we feel about D1s.

Good luck with your choice.....my vote is Adventure for teens but I have never been on Jewel or comparable class.

DD123, Thanks for your input and feedback. It was very hard to resist the GS on the Adventure, but we decided to go a different route and save money on this one. The price of the JS are very good. So we are going with Adventure, a JS on deck 9 Port Side and a category M inside cabin right across from the JS. This way the teens are close to us. We will have other friends and family sailing with us and they will also be on deck 9 in a D2.

Good luck on your February 2014 sailing. We will rght behind you in March.

Many thanks!

DD123, Thanks for your input and feedback. It was very hard to resist the GS on the Adventure, but we decided to go a different route and save money on this one. The price of the JS are very good. So we are going with Adventure, a JS on deck 9 Port Side and a category M inside cabin right across from the JS. This way the teens are close to us. We will have other friends and family sailing with us and they will also be on deck 9 in a D2.

Good luck on your February 2014 sailing. We will rght behind you in March.

Many thanks!

Enjoy your cruise. just got off the AOS loved it. We had a GS and loved that but prefer the JS as we like the walk in closet better.

Enjoy your cruise. just got off the AOS loved it. We had a GS and loved that but prefer the JS as we like the walk in closet better.

I agree with this. We like the layout of the JS much better than the GS. Of course, the perks are much better with the GS.

We are considering a Southern Caribbean cruise next year from San Juan. Which ship would be better, considering price and travel with teenagers?

Adventure or Jewel? Thank you!

Teenagers throw my vote to Adventure for the activities and size of the ship. A lot of port stops lessen that a bit. A no lose situation at worst.

Archived