'Round flight ticket within Australia'??

Hey , I'm Elvi from Germany,

Maybe we would have a cruise in 2015, but before we would love to see also more of Australia.:cool:

Does anybody know, how it works with a 'round flight ticket' within Australia ? We are interested in ( if we do this cruise) to have such a ticket..

What's the name, who sell, questions, questions , questions :o

Greets Elvi

Hey , I'm Elvi from Germany,

Maybe we would have a cruise in 2015, but before we would love to see also more of Australia.:cool:

Does anybody know, how it works with a 'round flight ticket' within Australia ? We are interested in ( if we do this cruise) to have such a ticket..

What's the name, who sell, questions, questions , questions :o

Greets Elvi

By 'round flight ticket' do you mean a return ticket? Or do you mean a ticket like round-the-world that allows multiple stops?

From what I know, currently in Australia, tickets are sold on a one-way basis, for example Brisbane to Sydney on a particular date/time. Prices vary at different times of the day. Just check on the internet. Take care that you have a flight that allows you to take luggage. Qantas allows one suitcase up to 23kg plus 7kg hand luggage. With Virgin, the cheapest fares only allow 10kg of cabin baggage with no checked luggage, and their next price includes one suitcase of 23kg plus 7kg hand luggage (an extra suitcase is allowed for an extra price - $30 on our next flight). I am not sure on the details on Jetstar because we don't fly with that budget airline. Their terms are very restrictive.

Yes -- my understanding is that "around the World" tickets which allow multiple stops in different countries on the way around the World are readily available -- but I am not aware of a similar thing which would allow the same principle within Australia.

Anyone else?? I have a vague memory that something like that was available in the long past -- but I "think" it might have had to do with Qantas Frequent Flyer points.

Barry

By 'round flight ticket' do you mean a return ticket? Or do you mean a ticket like round-the-world that allows multiple stops?

thank you for answering:

I mean a ticket within Australia ( I have heard that such a thing exist - maybe for non-Australians?):confused:

We plan to fly from Frankfurt via ?? to Perth[cruise starts here] or Sydney,

back from Sydney via ?? to Frankfurt

I am not aware of such a ticket. Domestic flights are operated by Qantas, JetStar (budget Qantas), Virgin (the best IMO), Tiger (unreliable), Rex (small and limited destinations). If you are booking several flights you might get a good deal but you'd have to check with each airline. Or ask a local travel agent in Germany who may know something I don't. TAs are usually reluctant to deal with these budget flights as they are online bookings and therefore little or no commission for the agent.

As usual, the cheaper flights often have hidden "extra" costs, charges for checked bags and strict weight/size limits, strict checkin deadlines, no flexibility, no refunds and charges if you change itinerary. So keep your bags to a minimum (not always practical if you are cruising too) and once you've picked your itinerary and booked your flights you are pretty much locked in, ie, use it or lose it!

Thank you for your answers until now,

maybe anybody of you has another idea, how we can see part of Australia without flying ?

I have read about train ( expensive),

car (:confused: can I go by car and drive on the 'other' side :eek: or it's not a problem, and we will rock it after some minutes !?).:cool:

Greets Elvi

Thank you for your answers until now,

maybe anybody of you has another idea, how we can see part of Australia without flying ?

I have read about train ( expensive),

car (:confused: can I go by car and drive on the 'other' side :eek: or it's not a problem, and we will rock it after some minutes !?).:cool:

Greets Elvi

Hi Elvi,

I advise you to fly. The train is expensive and it takes a few days to cross the country (Perth to Sydney). The distances in Australia are so vast, that the best way to cross the country is to fly. We have driven across the country a few times, but unless you have a lot of time I wouldn't advise it. It is a long, long way with very little to see - quite different from Europe where there is something interesting around every corner.

A suggestion is that you combine flying and driving in hired vehicles.

People I know from Germany flew into Sydney where they spent several days, then flew to Cairns where they spent a few days to see the Barrier Reef, then flew to Darwin where they hired a 4WD motorhome and drove down the Stuart Highway, seeing Ayers Rock (Uluru) on the way, to Adelaide. From there they flew home.

Rather than worry about how you'll get there, perhaps it's more important to have a clearer idea of specific areas you want to visit and things you want to see. It would take several months to see all of Australia so I suggest you get a guide book and some good maps and do some research about your preferred itinerary. Many visitors seriously underestimate the size of this country/continent and the distances involved.

As previously stated Australia is a big country. Our German friends had planned to drive from Melbourne to Cairns in a few days until we showed them a map of Germany imprinted on a map of Australia. Your whole country fitted into our Northern Territory!! They spent 3 weeks here - flew to Darwin (did a few days touring the Outback), then flew to Cairns (Great Barrier Reef), Brisbane and Sydney.

Another option may to travel by coach between some of the major cities.

Rather than worry about how you'll get there, perhaps it's more important to have a clearer idea of specific areas you want to visit and things you want to see. It would take several months to see all of Australia so I suggest you get a guide book and some good maps and do some research about your preferred itinerary. Many visitors seriously underestimate the size of this country/continent and the distances involved.

We just start to plan -----:o

Why I asked so early ? Friends of mine have talk about this 'ticket' they used - but years ago..:confused:

We love to see Ayers Rock, Olgas, the Reef ... this our points until now.

The cruise start in Perth and take the southern route to NZ and go back to Sydney. We will spend then some days in Sydney also.

I now about the distance (by car) Sydney => Perth ~ 4.000 km

thank you for answering:

I mean a ticket within Australia ( I have heard that such a thing exist - maybe for non-Australians?):confused:

We plan to fly from Frankfurt via ?? to Perth[cruise starts here] or Sydney,

back from Sydney via ?? to Frankfurt

This might be what you are looking for, the "Qantas Walkabout Air Pass". Here is the text from the USA-English web page (in case it does not show up on the German Qantas web page).

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/air-pass/us/en

"Take advantage of our domestic Australian network to experience more of Australia's stunning beauty.

With a Qantas Walkabout Air Pass, you can customise your trip for much less than if you booked flights separately. With over 75 domestic Australia city pairs to choose from, the Qantas Walkabout Air Pass is the best way to see more of Australia. Use our multi-city booking engine to book your flights and include flights within Australia.

Some flights may be operated by Qantas subsidiaries Jetstar or QantasLink or Air North.

Note: The Qantas Walkabout Air Pass must be issued together with your Qantas or American Airlines international ticket and has the same validity as your international ticket. Flights are subject to availability on all sectors."

Virgin Australia used to have a similar pass, but ended it earlier this year. See http://www.virginaustralia.com/us/en/airpass/

Uk travel agents tell me that it is possible to buy a Qantas airpass if you have booked international flights with them. Virgin also apparently have something similar. The advice I'm getting is not to buy these as its likely to be cheaper to buy the flights we require.

Uk travel agents tell me that it is possible to buy a Qantas airpass if you have booked international flights with them. Virgin also apparently have something similar. The advice I'm getting is not to buy these as its likely to be cheaper to buy the flights we require.

We found that out in Britain. We bought a National Express "Pass" before we left , but when we went to use it on the busses we found it would have been cheaper to pay as you go.

Do the Australian airlines still have standby fares? If they do and you have the time ,that could be the way to go.

From the sounds of it, the OP is talking about an Air Pass. They are quite an old concept, and really only used in Europe and South America. You buy an air pass which allows you to a certain number of flights within one continent (kinda like a multi rider bus pass). No such thing exists in Australia unfortunately. :)

Do the Australian airlines still have standby fares? If they do and you have the time ,that could be the way to go.

David

I believe that they are a thing of the past.

Barry

From the sounds of it, the OP is talking about an Air Pass. They are quite an old concept, and really only used in Europe and South America. You buy an air pass which allows you to a certain number of flights within one continent (kinda like a multi rider bus pass). No such thing exists in Australia unfortunately. :)

You haven't read this thread completely!

Barry

Archived