Review of first Cunard experience

Austcruiser84

I realise that it has been almost 6 months since I sailed aboard Queen Mary 2, but I have been so ridiculously busy I have not had time to post on this site, let alone write a review.

I’ve always wanted to cross the Atlantic by ocean liner ever since I was 13. In 1997 a terrific documentary series called ‘The Liners’ was screened on Australian television. I was immediately hooked by the glamour of the great liners and their mechanical genius.

Throughout my teenage years I dreamed of going on a Cunard vessel. The ‘Keeping up Appearances’ episode ‘Sea Fever’ piqued my interest in Cunard. While Hyacinth’s antics on board the QE2 were a source of amusement to me, I loved seeing the inside of that ship. It was something I had to try one day.

Many cruise ships today do not impress me; they resemble tacky apartment blocks on the outside, and Vegas on the inside. However, Cunard (despite what some nay-sayers here might claim) retains the old world charm while keeping with modern times. The understated luxury of its vessels is alluring.

After a taste of local ocean travel with Princess in 2006, I began planning for a major voyage in my head. However, I always felt that I needed to travel with someone to truly enjoy time at sea. So, it wasn’t until the beginning of 2012 that I booked the 19 night Christmas cruise and returning TA to Southampton on QM2.

It was the trip of a lifetime. 13 hours of face-to-face travel agent time and countless more hours researching and reading as much as I could in anticipation finally ended with me standing at the airport check in desk at Sydney last December. Around my time aboard QM2 I had built a NYC and England trip. In total, I would spend nearly a month and a half abroad – much longer than the usual 24 days I spent overseas each year.

From a flight upgrade to First Class to a week of dazzle in the Big Apple, I worried that I might be a little underwhelmed by the QM2 (it surely couldn’t be any bigger than the Mauretania J). I am glad I wasn’t. As the town car crossed over to Brooklyn the driver asked where the pier was. Seeing the Mary towering over everything else I gleefully pointed at her and suggested that he drive in that direction; his response that she was ‘a big boat’ made me smile.

Day 1 – Saturday 22 December 2013 (Embarkation day)

Once at the front of the queue of cars, buses and taxis dropping passengers at Redhook, I found the boarding process to be really smooth. I had arrived an hour or so ahead of my scheduled embarkation time, but that did not seem to matter. Waiting in line didn’t bother me, especially with the entertainment on offer. I was most amused by the gentleman at the front of the boarding queue who refused to proceed to the counter because the employee had no ‘raised her hand enough’ when signalling. It took two staff members to convince him that he should stop blocking the queue. The second act involved a somewhat confused lady asking ‘is this where the Queen Mary is?’ I know it’s mean, but I was so tempted to say ‘no, actually we are queuing for another ship – the Queen Mary left yesterday,’ but I worried about the universe paying me back. Within 30 minutes of checking my bags with the porters I was walking up the gangplank (having by-passed the small queue of people who seemed to think they had to get a special souvenir ‘welcome aboard’ photograph).*

My stateroom was situated forward on Deck Six. Once I got there and unloaded my bags I was greeted by my steward, Ricardo. He was very pleasant and so professional throughout the voyage. Nothing was ever a problem for him, including getting my formal shirts sent off for pressing after the cut off time and finding me a show brush (I like to clean my own shoes after a nasty incident in London some years back).

This was, what the Canadian papers allegedly reported, the ‘voyage of the damned.’ I prefer to look at it as a voyage with a small outbreak of Norovirus (affected 9% of passengers). I know those who got sick will look at things differently, but I had a marvellous time and even learnt that 20 seconds of soaping your hands under hot water is most effective for de-germing skin and is approximately the same amount of time it takes to sing Happy Birthday.

I spent most of the afternoon exploring the ship. It truly is enormous and the corridors are long. Several times I forgot something in my stateroom after walking halfway to my destination. I quickly learned not to forget things. However, the long walks proved good exercise as going to the gym each day was not exactly something I ended up doing, despite having packed plenty of ‘sweat clothes’. I unpacked my suitcases (now delivered) before getting ready for dinner. I soon realised that the wardrobe, while nice, was not going to hold all of my clothes for the duration of the voyage. Casual jackets, my suit, my dinner jacket and my shirts were all that fit. Given that I was one to a room, I have no idea how couples manage!

The ‘Welcome aboard Show’ was entertaining. Being new to Cunard, I had obviously never seen any of the shows. However, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed every show produced while on board. The entertainment director for the Christmas cruise was Ray. I found him to be slightly ‘Jerry Seinfeld’ in his humour (in other words, not terribly funny) and was assured by many seasoned passengers that he was not typical of entertainment directors. He wasn’t bad per se; he just tried too hard to get a laugh. Apparently he was a last minute replacement. I found that the top tier of the theatre was better for seeing the whole show than viewing from the lower level. If you sit slightly to the side, midway up in one of the angled parts, the glass balcony doesn’t impede vision.

Dinner was quite a grand affair. Prior to travelling I had read more than a few negative reviews about the food in Britannia. While I am not a fussy eater, I was still a little nervous about the quality of service. Those fears quickly faded after the first night. Our waiter (whose name eludes me at this time); the assistant waiter, Timmy; and our sommelier, Harry, were all fantastic throughout the voyage. My tablemates were a mix of very humorous Brits and Australians. We were all very happy with the table, especially two of the couples who had previously experienced some awful tablemates on past voyages. The first night was spent getting to know each other and recounting tablemate horror stories. My favourite was the woman who allegedly reserved her seat and told others at her table where they had to sit. When someone attempted to move seats she was quite dictatorial and ordered them to not sit out of place. My second favourite horror story was about the 70 year old fitness freak who gave a bite by bite account of everything people ate; he calorie counted for the women, often remarking ‘do you know how much fat is in that…?’ Thankfully I just got to hear the stories and did not experience the company of those people.

After dinner I decided to have a drink in the Commodore Club. I really liked the ambiance of this venue. It is tasteful and intimate. After a quick walk on the top deck, I decided to return to my stateroom and settle for the night.

Day 2 – Sunday 23 December 2012 (at sea en route to St Kitts)

After a leisurely sleep in (no noises, could hardly tell I was at sea) I prepared for breakfast. I booked an inside stateroom as I like the darkness it offers for sleep, plus a view is often wasted on me (if I wanted to see the ocean I could just go up one deck). The bathroom, while small, was entirely sufficient for my needs. The toiletries were nice and of a good quality. That said, I had brought most of my own products and these fit nicely on the vanity edges. The only thing I would have liked is a little more shelf space to put colognes and shaving equipment. But there really is nothing to complain about as a solo traveller in a room designed for two.

I enjoyed breakfast in the Britannia Restaurant. Service was certainly slower than at dinner, but it was still better than many cafes at home. It also beat making my own breakfast! I enjoyed a fruit platter, followed by a hot English breakfast with coffee and juice. I was seated by myself, which was fine; I am not the best morning person and I like to read the paper. It wasn’t until after a few days that I discovered the Purser’s Office would happily arrange major papers to be delivered every day, in addition to the regular shipboard one (all printed internet style).

At 11am I made my way to Illuminations to listen to the first Insights lecture for my trip. Steven Rivellino was presenting the first part of a series titled ‘The business of Broadway’. It was really educational (as were so many of the lectures I attended whilst onboard): he described how ticket prices are determined; he broke down the price of a ticket; and he explained the changing nature of Broadway financing.

After lunch in the Kings Court, I proceeded to buy a bingo ticket in the Queen’s Room. I loved bingo on my first cruise and I played every sea day on my December Cunard voyage. Valentina (who sold the tickets and helped run bingo each day) was always friendly and conversational. She, like other staff, remembered names so easily. I was most impressed to be referred to by name every day after the first bingo. While I never won (I did come close once), it was a nice way to relax after lunch. Actually I lie: I love the competition of bingo (even though it is a game of chance). It isn’t relaxing, but the thrill of it is something I am sure many little old ladies out there can appreciate. I don’t play for the hope of winning – it’s just a whole lot of fun anticipating numbers. I know that will sound weird to some and excite a whole lot of other readers. Let me know if you’re a bingo aficionado!

Pub lunch at the Golden Lion is truly amazing (it’s no wonder Cunard recently won an award for it). I ordered the fish and chips and I must say (as an Australian) that it was one of the best pub meals I have ever had! The pub environment was also nice: tastefully dark and smoke free.

I decided to ignore the afternoon lecture, hosted by a motivational speaker. Apparently, I didn’t miss much other than being asked to write a letter to my pet. Glad I passed. I find little value in motivational speaking and usually sit through said sessions thinking how easily I could do it and that I really am in the wrong job (these guys must make ridiculous sums of money for spouting a hybrid of commonsense and nonsense). That’s my opinion of course.

I decided to attend FoD that evening before dinner. I met some lovely people, mostly couples, but I returned every evening for the rest of the voyage. It was good to converse with likeminded people over drinks. So, the Commodore Club became a popular venue for me.

I passed through G32 after dinner to see whether the Young People’s Get-together was worth being involved with. It wasn’t. There was a handful of guys and girls who all looked totally miserable. Plus, they were generally early 20s and – without being too ageist – I generally find people that age to be immature. That said, it wasn’t too long ago that I was in that age group. Still, I strolled around deck before having a nightcap in the Golden Lion. G32 didn’t prove to be popular with me. Every time I walked in I could barely see a smile. People actually looked bored, although I realise frowns can sometimes be mistaken for elation.

Day 3 – Monday 24 December 2012 (at sea, en route to St Kitts)

It felt like Christmas walking around the QM2. Decorations hanged in major public rooms and the giant tree in the Grand Lobby was beautiful. I love this time of year. I spent the day much the same as I did the first sea day: morning lecture; lunch; bingo; another lecture; spa; FoD; and dinner, followed by the evening’s entertainment.

I was really excited to attend the afternoon lecture hosted by ocean liner historian Bill Miller. I know he is a regular on crossings and many people have heard him numerous times; however, he is something I have always wanted to meet ever since he appeared on ‘The Liners’ documentary in 1997. So it was a big thrill to finally meet the man and listen to him speak about the heyday of ocean travel.

The headline show ‘Viva Italia’ came before dinner (I was late sitting). I thoroughly enjoyed it and was impressed by the quality of the singers and dancers. I must say I am envious of the dancers as they can really move. I’m absolutely hopeless on a dance floor unless I have had a few! After that, I believe I am absolutely brilliant, much the same way I get better at pool and sports with alcohol.

Again, dinner was a nice affair and I really enjoyed hearing about the days spent by my tablemates. We consisted of: two UK couples; me; and a mother with her two teenage daughters. It was a table that laughed, much to the disapproval of a table nearby. On festive evenings like Christmas and New Year, they seemed to glare across. I can’t imagine how boring it must be to be so miserable to begrudge others party blowers on NYE (especially when Cunard provided them at the tables)!

Day 4 – Tuesday 25 December 2012 (at sea, en route to St Kitts)

I had originally planned to attend one of the morning Church services, but I slept in. Luckily, I woke in time to buy a bingo ticket at 10.30am (beating the afternoon rush) and have a late breakfast in the Kings Court. The Kings Court often gets a bad rap, but I didn’t find it to be so bad. Perhaps that is because I lowered my expectations so much that pretty much anything would have been passable to me.

That said, I do feel that the Kings Court would benefit from a better design. I know this has been mentioned by many passengers. The pod food station system seems a little cumbersome, and it creates crowding problems when large numbers are trying to get between drinks areas and the hexagonal food areas. This was especially worse once the Norovirus regulations came into effect.

By this stage of our voyage there had been an unusually high number of reported Norovirus cases. This ultimately lead to measures being taken by the ship’s crew. While there were many negative reports coming from the ship at this time, I do feel these were exaggerated. The measures largely involved crew handling food in Kings Court and people being asked to wash their hands frequently. Public toilets were also closed off at times. While the sight of crew scrubbing doors and removing linen (and even the odd mattress) from staterooms was surely unnerving for some, I admit to finding this all very reassuring. Granted, at times I felt a little worried I might come down sick, but thankfully that wasn’t the case: I was spared the plague. It is a credit to Cunard and the crew for being so professional and organised about the measures. Sure, having to use butter packets at dinner instead of taking it from a silver tray wasn’t the classiest, but it meant that the virus was more contained. I’d rather open my own butter than spend half the voyage locked up in my stateroom.

Christmas carols at the Grand Lobby was one of the highlights aboard ship. I’m a terrible singer, but with so many people strangling the cat, I felt secure enough to belt out a few favourite carols. The fake snow falling from above was a nice treat, although I realised (like the real snow I experienced in London after the voyage) it gets pretty annoying after a while. The arrival of Santa was readily captured on film, although I did wonder how he was meant to come down the lift when groups of children kept riding up and down in them, thus blocking anyone from actually using the lifts.

Afternoon tea was a very nice affair. I portioned what I ate as I realised quickly that one could easily gain weight on board. My advice to anyone who has yet to experience afternoon tea is to arrive early. By 4pm there can be a wait on tables, especially if you are travelling solo. Still, the wait is worth finger sandwiches, cakes, scones and tea. I admit, I didn’t even mind the cream served with the scones. I realise that this means I am likely to have my account deleted by the afternoon tea police authority (or whatever acronym this shady CC organisation goes by nowadays)!

The Christmas concert was a nice way to end the evening. I admit that I was quite tired by this stage, although I did manage to grab a late night bite in Kings Court before heading to bed. The next morning we would be in St Kitts and I had a zip lining excursion lined up!

I will post about the five Caribbean ports in the coming days. I felt that I should write a personal recount for posterity while I still remember most of the trip. Hopefully new cruisers find some useful tips and commentary about areas on board QM2 as they read.

I should state that over the course of 19 days I fell in love with the ship and liked Cunard’s style. Subsequently, in the last week I have booked 14 nights on board Queen Elizabeth out of Venice for late June 2014. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a discount on the initial discounted (new release) fare, on account of being a past Cunard passenger. I saved $300 on top of the initial $650 fare reduction for a deluxe inside. I figured that I could use the wardrobe space!

Hi Austcruiser84,

What a GREAT read :) :) ! Thank you so much for posting! I am so looking forward to reading more. Well written, witty and full of information, THANK YOU!

You boarded QM2 as I disembarked the ship after crossing from Southampton! So don't feel bad about not posting your review, mine (of my trans-Atlantic) is written... but I've not posted it yet... :o .

Thank you again, brilliant! Now, I'm going to read it all over again! Fantastic, well done! :) :) :)

All best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Austcruiser84,

What a GREAT read :) :) ! Thank you so much for posting! I am so looking forward to reading more. Well written, witty and full of information, THANK YOU!

You boarded QM2 as I disembarked the ship after crossing from Southampton! So don't feel bad about not posting your review, mine (of my trans-Atlantic) is written... but I've not posted it yet... :o .

Thank you again, brilliant! Now, I'm going to read it all over again! Fantastic, well done! :) :) :)

All best wishes.

Ah, so you are to blame for the Norovirus haha! Kidding.

I hear your crossing was quite rough - at least the last few days.

Austcruiser84,

Thank you for your well written review.

"This was, what the Canadian papers allegedly reported, the ‘voyage of the damned.’ I prefer to look at it as a voyage with a small outbreak of Norovirus (affected 9% of passengers)."

What a wonderful attitude! Thank you also for mentioning how hard the crew was working to keep the number of sick people from being higher.

"I should state that over the course of 19 days I fell in love with the ship and liked Cunard’s style. Subsequently, in the last week I have booked 14 nights on board Queen Elizabeth out of Venice for late June 2014."

Yes, it is very easy to fall in love with QM2 as we also discovered. You will, I believe, also truly enjoy the QE. We had a wonderful time on her, the crew was wonderful and the food very good and with the ship being smaller it was easier to meet and chat to people. (the Lido was a favorite spot to do so)

Thank you again for a very informative and enjoyable review and for taking the time to share your trip with us.

You sound like someone who would be a joy to have as a fellow passenger!

best regards,

seasidegal

Pepperrn: You boarded QM2 as I disembarked the ship after crossing from Southampton! So don't feel bad about not posting your review, mine (of my trans-Atlantic) is written... but I've not posted it yet... :o .

"Better late than never" :D

Hi Austcruiser84. Thanks for your review. We took that voyage in 2012, so I'm interested in reading about any major differences that might have taken place in the 2013 - happily, so far it seems that there was no 'slippage' in standards.:)

Thanks also for the tip about being able to arrange for major newspapers (printed internet style) to be delivered to one's cabin. We always received the usual USA addition of a newspaper, but I'm wondering what other papers might be available?

Regards,

Salacia

Hi Austcruiser84. Thanks for your review. We took that voyage in 2012, so I'm interested in reading about any major differences that might have taken place in the 2013 - happily, so far it seems that there was no 'slippage' in standards.:)

Thanks also for the tip about being able to arrange for major newspapers (printed internet style) to be delivered to one's cabin. We always received the usual USA addition of a newspaper, but I'm wondering what other papers might be available?

Regards,

Salacia

I had UK, US and Australian papers/news print outs delivered. No extra charge.

Thank you I have enjoyed your review. I have booked a T/A leaving Uk 20th July - Aug 3rd. It is just a round trip I have done in the past and Yes I love the QM2 and the Ship is the destination! I am travelling with my young Granddaughter Rebecca who is 15 almost 16 in fact on the Getaway fare

There has been a lot said about that fare and I have been told that 1st Sept things will change and the fare will be open to those of us who travel solo

Perhaps you can answer a question for me. I note that they have a soft drinks package which is a reasonable price $6.50 per day.

This will be my 4th trip on the QM and I did 19 nights on the QE I think 18months ago

If I recall correctly fruit juice was available in the buffet, She does not drink fizzy drinks Cola Sprite etc In which case if she wants juice we could just buy it as we go along. My daughter states I don't want her drinking Fanta for 14 nts.

I wish you well for your next trip on the QE I did enjoy it but she is a different animal.

Thanks again! Sue

This will be my 4th trip on the QM and I did 19 nights on the QE I think 18months ago

If I recall correctly fruit juice was available in the buffet, She does not drink fizzy drinks Cola Sprite etc In which case if she wants juice we could just buy it as we go along. My daughter states I don't want her drinking Fanta for 14 nts.

I wish you well for your next trip on the QE I did enjoy it but she is a different animal.

Thanks again! Sue

Hi Sue,

Orange and Apple juice were available all day without charge. The soft drink package worked out at $6.50 a day. It's only worth it if you drink 3 or more per day.

I didn't drink too much soft drink on the voyage. Next time I'll just pay as I go. Same with wine. I only drank 5 of my 6 package wines at dinner.

I'm curious by your final sentence. In what ways is QE a different beast?

Ben

I think Sue means that QE is a cruise ship in ocean liner clothing. She would not be suited to regular Transatlantic runs. Whereas QM2 is every bit the ocean liner. More than at home on the North Atlantic. In my experience is you will get the same excellent service and similar ambience on both ships. Although it has to be said that I have a soft spot for QM2, especially as the TA myself and my wife did was my first experience of a proper passenger ship apart from the odd trip on a cross-channel ferry. Hardly comparable is it?

Eddie :)

I think Sue means that QE is a cruise ship in ocean liner clothing. She would not be suited to regular Transatlantic runs. Whereas QM2 is every bit the ocean liner. More than at home on the North Atlantic. In my experience is you will get the same excellent service and similar ambience on both ships. Although it has to be said that I have a soft spot for QM2, especially as the TA myself and my wife did was my first experience of a proper passenger ship apart from the odd trip on a cross-channel ferry. Hardly comparable is it?

Eddie :)

I agree: the QM2 is born for the TA. Hardly felt a thing at sea!

I don't mind that QE is more cruise than liner. The Med is a different place to the Atlantic, and I imagine there are advantages to having a smaller ship for certain ports.

I was initially going to do the QM2 TA leaving Southampton on 24th June next year, but decided I wanted to experience Venice in warm weather and explore Greece and Turkey. So QE fit nicely into that.

I think I'd rather spend June in the Med than NYC.

Wonderful and well-written review--thanks very much for taking the time to do this! You have obviously mastered the art of being witty and entertaining without being politically incorrect (which is something I apparently still need to learn). I really enjoyed reading this!

Wonderful and well-written review--thanks very much for taking the time to do this! You have obviously mastered the art of being witty and entertaining without being politically incorrect (which is something I apparently still need to learn). I really enjoyed reading this!

Charlie,

:eek: With all the 'spying on citizens' news coming out of the states these days, I think the least thing anyone needs to worry about is a man who goes on a cruise and writes about a witty conversation held at his 'nameless' table, at a 'nameless' dining hour.

If Ms. $40,000 was in the least bit worried about 'people talking' about her she would not have brought the subject up. Discernment of what one talks about to strangers is that person's personal responsibility. It sounds like she is proud of her 'work' or she would not have mentioned it to your table.

As far as your job...that is your responsibility and I doubt very highly you would do anything that would cast you in a bad light in that department and you would also know what 'lines' are not to be crossed. That also is called 'personal responsibility'. I think reading your posts that you are most likely a very responsible adult and perfectly capable of making that personal decision for yourself.

I would hate to see that this incident keeps you from writing a future witty, informative and very entertaining review. That would be a loss to this forum.

I so enjoy reading about your excitement in planning and looking forward to your cruise, and when you posted your review, I was very happy to read that your trip 'tipped' the scale to sailing again with Cunard.

Sailing is such a great experience and sharing the excitement of a sailing with others should never be done with a fear of 'pushing' the post button.

best regards,

seasidegal

I had UK, US and Australian papers/news print outs delivered. No extra charge.

Austcruiser, thanks for your reply. I've found that international news is not always available on the news channels on board ship. I guess there must be some dedicated line that permits print news from reaching the ship, even when broadcast news isn't available?

Good to know that print news is available, especially since I like to read newspapers in the morning...and when I don't have one, I read my cereal box - which accounts for my kernal knowledge :D Cheers, -S

Partial quote

...If I recall correctly fruit juice was available in the buffet, She does not drink fizzy drinks Cola Sprite etc In which case if she wants juice we could just buy it as we go along....

Hi keela. Just to mention that there are very nice fruit drinks available as the drink special of day, such as a frozen strawberry daiquirii, but you must stress that be with no booze added. I remember reading that Cunard has a mocktail hour for passengers under the drinking age, where there is no booze involved - and kudos to Cunard for that! Cheers, -S

Charlie, With all the 'spying on citizens' news coming out of the states these days, I think the least thing anyone needs to worry about is a man who goes on a cruise and writes about a witty conversation held at his 'nameless' table, at a 'nameless' dining hour.

If Ms. $40,000 was in the least bit worried about 'people talking' about her she would not have brought the subject up. Discernment of what one talks about to strangers is that person's personal responsibility. It sounds like she is proud of her 'work' or she would not have mentioned it to your table.

As far as your job...that is your responsibility and I doubt very highly you would do anything that would cast you in a bad light in that department and you would also know what 'lines' are not to be crossed. That also is called 'personal responsibility'. I think reading your posts that you are most likely a very responsible adult and perfectly capable of making that personal decision for yourself.

I would hate to see that this incident keeps you from writing a future witty, informative and very entertaining review. That would be a loss to this forum.

(Sadly I think others may never report back about their voyage in case their review is not well received in some quarters. And not because it may be factually incorrect, or poorly written etc, but because it may not be able to climb to the top of a particularly lofty ivory tower)

I so enjoy reading about your excitement in planning and looking forward to your cruise, and when you posted your review, I was very happy to read that your trip 'tipped' the scale to sailing again with Cunard.

Sailing is such a great experience and sharing the excitement of a sailing with others should never be done with a fear of 'pushing' the post button.

best regards, seasidegal

Couldn't agree more, well said :) .

All best wishes to Charlie and seasidegal,

Edited by pepperrn

This forum is very lucky to have such talented wordsmiths :)and thank you for sharing this cruise with us.

I am looking forward to the next instalment

Thanks again

John

Edited by glojo
unnecessary ramblings

Please don't apologise for anything in your review, it was well written and humorous. I thought it was great!!

Salacia and Glojo were the only people who expressed any reservations/criticisms of the contents of your review. You'll live. :D

Charlie,

:eek: With all the 'spying on citizens' news coming out of the states these days, I think the least thing anyone needs to worry about is a man who goes on a cruise and writes about a witty conversation held at his 'nameless' table, at a 'nameless' dining hour.

Absolutely. There are far more concerning things to worry about.

Edited by Whitemarsh

I enjoyed your review so much and all the more so because of the light banter. It was interesting and like others I look forward of more to come.

My heart is with QM2 but that is because I found it romantic and harking back to a bye gone age. The glamour how I would have loved to live in those times!!!! That is the dreamer in me.

This will be my 4th time on the QM I loved the QE as well spent 19 nights Dubai to Southampton the final leg of the world cruise March 2011. Her first in case I have given the wrong year.

Thanks to everyone on the advice re soft drink passage. While Rebecca is 15 she is not the sort who is trying to be a woman before her time. No make up outlandish dress etc. Alcohol etc. She is a very clever girl with a fantastic personality very very funny She makes us all laugh although with people whom she knows she is actually very shy! My daughter says she is as mad as a box of FROGS but in a lovely way She will love the library on the QM2

She has not said to friends at school on her Parents decision and her own as the Family are going in a safari leaving on 21st August. This is just after Dan gets his exam results. Her Parents and she realise that many children won't even have 1 holiday let alone 2. BUT Becky has always found it hard to keep a secret!!!! So how well she will manage this is in the lap of the Gods. Always lets the cat out the bag since she was a little girl and she has not improved with age!! Keep writing as I am loving it!!!

Thank you for the review - enjoyable read - however I must comment on your finding that:

"they were generally early 20s and – without being too ageist – I generally find people that age to be immature"

As an "early 20s" myself, and boarding QM2 on 20 July with my partner, I must say that there exists those of us who are mature, even if by exception!

Indeed it's a worry of mine that we'll be tarred by the same brush of other guests who hold a similar view of our age group, therefore potentially jeopardising our social enjoyment with others of an older age range.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of this (from either perspective?)

As an "early 20s" myself, and boarding QM2 on 20 July with my partner, I must say that there exists those of us who are mature, even if by exception!

Indeed it's a worry of mine that we'll be tarred by the same brush of other guests who hold a similar view of our age group, therefore potentially jeopardising our social enjoyment with others of an older age range.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of this (from either perspective?)

I wouldn't worry about it. There will be people you meet whom you like and those you don't. Both groups will have representatives from all age brackets.

You'll meet plenty of nice people on board, from all age groups.