Review of first Cunard experience

Austcruiser84

You'll meet plenty of nice people on board, from all age groups.
Well said :) , this has been my experience on four Cunard ships. Young or old, interesting people are interesting people, and there are plenty of them on Cunard vessels! Edited by pepperrn

Thank you for the review - enjoyable read - however I must comment on your finding that:

As an "early 20s" myself, and boarding QM2 on 20 July with my partner, I must say that there exists those of us who are mature, even if by exception!

Indeed it's a worry of mine that we'll be tarred by the same brush of other guests who hold a similar view of our age group, therefore potentially jeopardising our social enjoyment with others of an older age range.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of this (from either perspective?)

I'm in my late 20s and I generally don't get along well with people my own age. I'm easy annoyed by the immaturity and lack of worldliness about them. Yes, it's a generalisation, but I am simply speaking from my own experiences. That's the best I can do.

I found older passengers to be far more interesting to talk to - perhaps because they have more life experience, or that manners are important, or that they care more about everything than younger people.

I mixed with a range of people, of many ages. However, all the people my own age (not many on board) were actually quite boring and rather uppity. There was one young man with his life partner and he was insufferable. He pranced about complaining of the "inferior verve cliquot" and how his dinner jacket was vintage.

I should be clear though, the ship is not awash with younger passengers. This was evident on the 6 separate times that I was mistaken by older female passengers for being a crew member!

I will be recounting those hilarious (well I think they are hilarious) incidents in the upcoming posts. It became a running joke at dinner - it was wondered how far up the crew's ladder I'd climb in the eyes of some passengers by the end of the voyage!

It's the little, unexpected things that make for excellent holiday stories.

Just realised I used 'i' way too many times in that last post! I am really sorry. Truly, I am! :)

But one thing I forgot to mention in the initial review was the CC meeting on the first sea day!

Lovely to meet a number of people I'd been conversing with over the course of 2012. However, I feel the Connexions room offered was pretty lacklustre. I wish we had been able to keep the Commodore Club as the meeting venue - so much nicer.

That makes me think...maybe I should drink more when spending time with people my own age. I might like them better if I'm too plastered to remember what they just said! :)

Well said :) , this has been my experience on four Cunard ships. Young or old, interesting people are interesting people, and there are plenty of them on Cunard vessels!

There certainly are, and no one is forced to hang out with people they don't like.

Just realised I used 'i' way too many times in that last post! I am really sorry. Truly, I am! :)

But one thing I forgot to mention in the initial review was the CC meeting on the first sea day!

Lovely to meet a number of people I'd been conversing with over the course of 2012. However, I feel the Connexions room offered was pretty lacklustre. I wish we had been able to keep the Commodore Club as the meeting venue - so much nicer.

That makes me think...maybe I should drink more when spending time with people my own age. I might like them better if I'm too plastered to remember what they just said! :)

I was surprised (and a little disappointed) to see that your above apology for previously posting a post with excessive use of the letter 'I' contained eight separate uses of the letter 'I' thereby compounding the problem and lessening the impact of your apology......

Day 5 – Wednesday 26 December 2012 (In the Port of Basseterre, St Kitts)

By the time I waked from my beauty rest, QM2 had docked at St Kitts. I went up on deck to take in the sights (the air was noticeably warmer than sailing out of NYC, which allegedly got colder and colder every day after we left) and was greeted by a couple of cruise ships alongside: Celebrity Equinox (if I remember correctly); one of the Crystal ships; and a floating apartment block bearing the QM2’s parent company logo. This was raised by one of the comedian’s on board later in the voyage: ‘I saw how you all looked at those Carnival passengers’. It’s funny because it’s true.

This is not to say I have anything against the parent company. In fact, without them the QM2 would never have been built and if not for those floating flats goodness knows how far the dress code would be lowered to accommodate the unwashed cruising masses: perhaps poly-blend push button shirts with faux printed bow ties for Formal dress; or bathrobes with slippers in the Queen’s Grill (slippers optional in Princess Grill).

But I digress…

The Port of Basseterre is very glamorous. Nothing screams class like a concrete pier leading to a faded yellow portico opening onto streets filled with rubbish. The juxtaposition with the QM2 was very apparent. It reminded me of several places at home that I would whiz by on an express rail service if I actually took public transport.

While downtown wasn’t exactly a vision of beauty, the interior of the island was stunning. I had chosen a zip-lining excursion through Cunard. While I am sure I could have organised activities cheaper than the rates offered through Shore Excursions, I truthfully could not have been bothered doing so. Cunard often gets a bad rap for many things, especially organisation on shore. I must say that everything ran smoothly and I was on the bus headed inland in no time.

After the obligatory stop at the souvenir shop (I really didn’t need another tea towel) where I saw local print art being made, we were taken to the practice zip line area to be suited up and equipped for the upcoming adventure.

Zip lining was an extraordinary experience. After ascending a mountain we had to zip back down. Some of the lines were long; some were fast. The longest zip line we traversed was 1,000 feet, where we managed speeds of more than 10mph. Given that 88mph sends you back in time or into the future, I felt this was a sufficiently fast speed when looking down 200m as I crossed a rocky valley. It was one of those ‘why am I doing this?’ to ‘can I do that again?’ kind of activity. It was a blast!

After some great sunset photo opportunities back on board ship, I prepared for the evening’s dinner and entertainment. The duo called Elektra performed using violins. They were incredible. I have to say that Cunard has picked a reasonably good selection of guest performers for their voyages, judging by my 19 night on board. I am always in awe of people who can play instruments so skilfully to make it look so easy (when clearly it isn’t).

That night was Semi-Formal dress. I have yet to mention the dress code: partly for fear of starting yet another CC tangent thread and also because I can’t reveal everything at once. Everyone abided by the dress code throughout the Christmas cruise as far as I could see. Even on the Elegant Casual nights I noticed almost all men wore neck ties. As to whether I ever dared abandon the tie on those nights, I will leave to your imagination. I must say though, that dressing up on Formal nights was one of the highlights of the voyage. Everyone looks so good dressed to the nines. You simply cannot go wrong in a dinner suit/tux or a ball gown (I wore the former, of course).* However, I did notice a lot of red bow ties amongst older gentlemen. This is perhaps my only fashion criticism. I am too much of a boring traditionalist to wear brightly coloured evening attire.

On the subject of attire, I cannot count how many times I was mistaken for a crew member throughout the voyage. Actually, I can count: it was six times. The first time I was wearing a lot of black, so I assume I was mistaken for a technician or something equivalent. On another occasion, an elderly lady asked me for another cocktail. When I suggested (politely) that she should ask the bar staff, she apologised in a great deal of embarrassment. Apparently I am young looking and therefore that somehow means I must work on board. Another time I was asked for a glass of hot water. As I was recounting this rather unusual request at dinner, a tablemate quipped that I should have apologised and stated ‘I am sorry madam, but I only pour cold water. You will need to find a hot water attendant.’ Now, while this elicited raucous laughter from everyone, I am sure in the heyday of ocean liner travel such a job likely existed.

In one of the lifts (elevator) I was asked, while wearing formal wear, whether the Norovirus situation had eased and whether everything could go back to normal. I replied that I had no idea and that I imagined the Captain would announce something the following day. The gentleman apologised, claiming he thought I was an officer! I really am unsure how he assumed that. I certainly was not wearing a uniform. A tablemate suggested that perhaps people sensed authority in me. I’m not sure, but the endless case of mistaken identity provided many interesting conversation starters at dinner.

Speaking of lifts…I cannot count the number of times people pressed buttons with elbows, handkerchiefs and tissues. Fear of the Norovirus had many on edge. One woman actually left the ship at St Kitts. She was allegedly in fear of her very life! I even managed to see her luggage being offloaded in the late afternoon. On one occasion I pressed a lift button with my bare finger…yes, my bare finger! The looks of horror and fear from the people in the small space were priceless. In hindsight, I should have coughed as I left the lift…but that would have been cruel :)

Stay tuned for Day 6 of 19 of my QM2 Christmas cruise/TA review. I promise the final instalment will be posted by Christmas this year :)

I was surprised (and a little disappointed) to see that your above apology for previously posting a post with excessive use of the letter 'I' contained eight separate uses of the letter 'I' thereby compounding the problem and lessening the impact of your apology......

I was trying for an ironic post...

Hi Austcruiser84,

What a GREAT read :) :) ! Thank you so much for posting! I am so looking forward to reading more. Well written, witty and full of information, THANK YOU!

You boarded QM2 as I disembarked the ship after crossing from Southampton! So don't feel bad about not posting your review, mine (of my trans-Atlantic) is written... but I've not posted it yet... :o .

Thank you again, brilliant! Now, I'm going to read it all over again! Fantastic, well done! :) :) :)

All best wishes.

Hope you post your review soon, would love to read it.

Catherine

Thanks for posting this! Sounds great. :)

We are three young women (well, below 40 seems pretty young for a cruise!), who will sail from Southampton to NYC next year - just because we find it fascinating. One of us is single and I am confident that she will find her millionaire on board... :D And if not, I'm sure we'll have a fab time anyway.

Queen Victoria visited Helsinki this week, and our travel agency had invited us for a tour on board. Now we're really looking forward to our cruise.

I wrote about the Queen Victoria visit to my blog, in case someone's interested.

We are three young women (well, below 40 seems pretty young for a cruise!), who will sail from Southampton to NYC next year - just because we find it fascinating. One of us is single and I am confident that she will find her millionaire on board... :D And if not, I'm sure we'll have a fab time anyway.

Queen Victoria visited Helsinki this week, and our travel agency had invited us for a tour on board. Now we're really looking forward to our cruise.

I wrote about the Queen Victoria visit to my blog, in case someone's interested.

Your blog post on QV was most informative. As its similar to QE it was especially relevant to me. The wait is always exciting, but it is even better to be on board.

You will love QM2. If not, there is something wrong with you :-)

As for your friend meeting a rich widow. They exist. There was a lady on board my voyage who had one of the very expensive suites. She allegedly also booked a balcony stateroom next door just to store her excess clothes!

Just read your blog, very interesting. We are going on QV in November 2013 and can't wait. We are trying Queens Grill for the first time and wishing our life away so we will soon be on board. That's what happens when you book, the looking forward to it takes over.

Catherine

On the subject of attire, I cannot count how many times I was mistaken for a crew member throughout the voyage. Actually, I can count: it was six times. The first time I was wearing a lot of black, so I assume I was mistaken for a technician or something equivalent. On another occasion, an elderly lady asked me for another cocktail. When I suggested (politely) that she should ask the bar staff, she apologised in a great deal of embarrassment. Apparently I am young looking and therefore that somehow means I must work on board. Another time I was asked for a glass of hot water. As I was recounting this rather unusual request at dinner, a tablemate quipped that I should have apologised and stated ‘I am sorry madam, but I only pour cold water. You will need to find a hot water attendant.’ Now, while this elicited raucous laughter from everyone, I am sure in the heyday of ocean liner travel such a job likely existed.

In one of the lifts (elevator) I was asked, while wearing formal wear, whether the Norovirus situation had eased and whether everything could go back to normal. I replied that I had no idea and that I imagined the Captain would announce something the following day. The gentleman apologised, claiming he thought I was an officer! I really am unsure how he assumed that. I certainly was not wearing a uniform. A tablemate suggested that perhaps people sensed authority in me. I’m not sure, but the endless case of mistaken identity provided many interesting conversation starters at dinner.

At least the requests made of you were fairly reasonable….

In contrast, I recall certain events on board QE2 while traversing the South China Sea in February 2002.

The Scene

QE2, Quarter Deck, portside, adjacent the Library and Book Shop.

Characters

Myself – a young and inexperienced first-time cruiser, having made a fatal mistake of wearing a white two-piece ensemble

The Widow – A denizen of the QE2, of indeterminate years between 75 and death.

The Conversation

The Widow – You, young woman, take note of what I am saying.

Myself – Sorry?

The Widow – I am still totally dissatisfied.

Myself – I am sorry to hear it.

The Widow – So what are you going to do about it?

Myself – I don’t know what you mean.

The Widow – It is just not big enough.

Myself – What?

The Widow – I can barely turn around.

Myself – Do I know you?

The Widow – I have been down to see you people at least five times already.

Myself – Are you quite sure?

The Widow – Of course I am sure. And it is too dark and hot as well.

Myself – Too dark and hot? But it is only 10am.

The Widow – Don’t try to change the subject. I demand you take me to see Commodore Warwick so I can have it out with him. My late husband would never have put up with this.

Myself – I don’t know the Commodore

The Widow – Oh yes you do, you’re one of THEM

Myself – One of THEM?

The Widow – Yes, one of those Pursers from Two Deck, you can’t hide from me.

Myself – I assure you I am not one of them.

The Widow – You must be. You are wearing the outfit.

Myself – I am sorry, you are mistaken. I really cannot help you. (Starts walking away quickly)

The Widow – (Shouting) Don’t think you can leave me like this. I know where you work. I am not staying in that cabin a moment longer. I am going to suffocate and die in there. You will all be sorry. I DEMAND to see the Commodore.

The Moral of the Story

(1) Never wear an all-white ensemble on board a Cunard ship.

(2) Avoid making eye contact with roving widows of indeterminate years.

(3) Things were NOT always better on the QE2.

Edited by Louise D

I realise that it has been almost 6 months since I sailed aboard Queen Mary 2, but I have been so ridiculously busy I have not had time to post on this site, let alone write a review.

Hi Ben.

Thanks so much for posting your experiences. As the posts on our Roll Call of your Manhattan adventure, I am enjoying them very much.

Jeanne

In contrast, I recall certain events on board QE2 while traversing the South China Sea in February 2002.

The Scene

Characters

Myself – a young and inexperienced first-time cruiser, having made a fatal mistake of wearing a white two-piece ensemble

The Conversation

Myself – Sorry?

Myself – What?

Myself – Do I know you?

The Widow – Don’t try to change the subject. I demand you take me to see Commodore Warwick so I can have it out with him. My late husband would never have put up with this.

Myself – One of THEM?

Myself – I am sorry, you are mistaken. I really cannot help you. (Starts walking away quickly)

The Widow – (Shouting) Don’t think you can leave me like this. I know where you work. I am not staying in that cabin a moment longer. I am going to suffocate and die in there. You will all be sorry. I DEMAND to see the Commodore.

The Moral of the Story

Louise, did you every see this woman again? It would have been most uncomfortable if you crossed paths a second time.

Fancy her yelling "you will all be sorry". :D Maybe she was referring to those poor unfortunates on her table?

I realise that it has been almost 6 months since I sailed aboard Queen Mary 2, but I have been so ridiculously busy I have not had time to post on this site, let alone write a review.

Hi Ben.

Thanks so much for posting your experiences. As the posts on our Roll Call of your Manhattan adventure, I am enjoying them very much.

Jeanne

Hello Jeanne! How have you been?

The Scene

Characters

The Conversation

Myself – Sorry?

Myself – What?

Myself – Do I know you?

Myself – One of THEM?

The Moral of the Story

Oh, that's a great one! I've even got an image of the disgruntled woman in my mind :)

In hindsight you should have turned back and glared at her, before stating 'Madam, if you persist I will lock you in the brig or throw you overboard.' Or you could have threatened to downgrade her stateroom.

I know it would have made things worse, but at least it would have been funny to watch her fume longer.

Such a funny story Louise.

But when you described your outfit I thought you were going to be lectured about wearing white after Memorial Day. This is apparently a fashion faux pas in the USA in some quarters and those people seem to think the whole world knows about it.

Whitemarsh, maybe this can be your next fashion statement.

I love reading this thread, and thank you so very much for your reviews (as well as comments from others). This will be our first time on QM2 (altho we have over 65 cruises on other lines), and so we read each and every word.

We sailed a long time on the Vistafjord and Sagafjord which was purchased by Cunard back in the 80's. Actually, they put the QE crew onboard and, of course, they recognized the QE group and not the Vista & Saga loyal passengers--thus our change to other lines. In fact I am currently having a difficult time with Cunard trying to find our trips (Mother over 26 and me around 8) with Cunard. Hopefully they will find our past passenger numbers.

We were taking Crystal back from London to Boston Sept. 2014, and our agent suggested taking the QM2 over as the times coordinated with each other. After my saying no, no, no, we decided to do it, and now after reading many posts, we are feeling some excitement in doing the trip on the QM2.

I do have a couple questions:

1) Hotels near the dock in NY as we always fly in early.

2) Hotels near where they dock in Southhampton.

Anyway, we will continue to follow this thread. Thanks for everyone's information.

I do have a couple questions:

1) Hotels near the dock in NY as we always fly in early.

2) Hotels near where they dock in Southhampton.

I recommend the Chelsea Pines Inn in New York. It rates very highly on Trip Advisor.

The Novotel in Southampton is quite close to the docks.

Such a funny story Louise.

But when you described your outfit I thought you were going to be lectured about wearing white after Memorial Day. This is apparently a fashion faux pas in the USA in some quarters and those people seem to think the whole world knows about it.

Whitemarsh, maybe this can be your next fashion statement.

White shoes after Labor Day? Most of us only heard of that rule thanks to the film 'Serial Mom'.

i-ZKVMDGM-L.png

Edited by Whitemarsh

Louise, did you every see this woman again? It would have been most uncomfortable if you crossed paths a second time.

Fancy her yelling "you will all be sorry". :D Maybe she was referring to those poor unfortunates on her table?

Thankfully, I never saw that particular "lady" again. I expect that soon after she expired from the oppressive heat in her Four or Five Deck inside cabin. I believe she was probably crazy from lack of sleep as it is well known that when in the Tropics, the air-conditioning on QE2 did not work properly in the cabins on the lower decks.

I used to see them all lining up in the Purser's office, demanding a change of cabin because they could get no sleep in the tropical heat.

Oh, that's a great one! I've even got an image of the disgruntled woman in my mind :)

In hindsight you should have turned back and glared at her, before stating 'Madam, if you persist I will lock you in the brig or throw you overboard.' Or you could have threatened to downgrade her stateroom.

I know it would have made things worse, but at least it would have been funny to watch her fume longer.

It was not long before I worked out that most of the passengers on board the world cruise on QE2 were half-crazy, largely due to senile deterioration, so I had to treat them accordingly. I spent a lot of time giving directions. There were quite a few passengers on board who should have not been there, as they seemed to have little idea of where they were. Their children had put them on board the world cruise so that they could get rid of them for a time. Cunard would not accept them as passengers now. I used to worry that some of them would go ashore and not be able to find their way back on board. From time to time if some of the more debilitated asked me for directions to go ashore, I would instead direct them to the Queens Room and hope they would stay put there until we sailed.

In those days, there were no young people on board. Even the crew thought I was the crew. Therefore, it is not surprising all the passengers thought I was also crew.

White shoes after Labor Day? Most of us only heard of that rule thanks to the film 'Serial Mom'.

We had a discussion about this on the Cruise Fashion board recently and somebody posted a link to an article about this odd fashion "rule".

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1920684,00.html

Edited by Scrapnana

The Scene

Characters

The Conversation

Myself – Sorry?

Myself – What?

Myself – Do I know you?

Myself – One of THEM?

The Moral of the Story

Louise,

I didn't think anything could be as funny your 'man's underwear on your balcony' story, but this one darn near comes very close.:D:D

From time to time if some of the more debilitated asked me for directions to go ashore, I would instead direct them to the Queens Room and hope they would stay put there until we sailed. In those days, there were no young people on board. Even the crew thought I was the crew. Therefore, it is not surprising all the passengers thought I was also crew.

Wow.. and some people think that the majority of QM2 passengers are old......:eek:

You are a very nice person, Louise. I hope when I am older and more senile than I am now and sailing on the QM2, you are also sailing along. :)

Most of us only heard of that rule thanks to the film 'Serial Mom'.

Crazy Kathleen Turner. Leg of lamb. :eek: White shoes.

The three things that come to mind when that film is mentioned.

When I was young...decades and decades ago...a young lady never wore white after Labor Day. The older women were very strict about this rule,

they would make the Cunard Fashion Police look like wimps! :D

best regards,

seasidegal

We had a discussion about this on the Cruise Fashion board recently and somebody posted a link to an article about this odd fashion "rule".

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1920684,00.html

There is logic behind not wearing white in the dead of winter. But times have changed and more realistic rules for these days would be:

1. No muffin-tops.
  2. No plumber's cracks.

When in doubt ask Miss Manners, and she says:

From Memorial Day to Labor Day, you may wear white shoes. Not before and not after. As a command, the White Shoe Edict should be clear and simple enough. Do not violate it. In a society in which everything else has become relative, a matter of how it makes you feel, a question between you and your conscience, and an opportunity for you to be really you, this is an absolute. Miss Manners not only doesn't want any argument about it, she doesn't even want any discussion.

Now there is no need for anyone to say anything more about white shoes.

There is logic behind not wearing white in the dead of winter. But times have changed and more realistic rules for these days would be:

1. No muffin-tops.
  2. No plumber's cracks.

Now that is a rule that needs enforcing! :eek:

When in doubt ask Miss Manners, and she says:

From Memorial Day to Labor Day, you may wear white shoes. Not before and not after. As a command, the White Shoe Edict should be clear and simple enough. Do not violate it. In a society in which everything else has become relative, a matter of how it makes you feel, a question between you and your conscience, and an opportunity for you to be really you, this is an absolute. Miss Manners not only doesn't want any argument about it, she doesn't even want any discussion.

Now there is no need for anyone to say anything more about white shoes.

So white shoes are okay from the last Monday in May to the first Monday in September.

Thank you Miss Manners. :)