Mass Prepared Meals and The Picky Eater!

psycomac

So I have this ...problem. I think. Both my husband and my daughter (she's 4) have a *thing* about eating. My daughter has an issue with the texture of things and if it's not something she is expecting, even if she likes the taste of it, she'll spit it out or start gagging. (She tried a fresh peach for the first time the other day and loved the flavor but immediately spit it out when she took a bite because the texture freaked her out.)

My husband is decidedly bland when it comes to *his* food. No sauces, no funky seasonings, no veggies. Chicken and potatoes all the way.

Being that the majority of the meals are sort of 'mass produced', is there any way they'd do something like just cook up a plain grilled chicken breast? How about fries for a side instead of roasted or otherwise 'funky' potatoes?

I've been trying to look at the menus in the specialty restaurants on The Breakaway and getting more and more nervous about the prospect of him finding anything he'll eat. I'm sure with my daughter, we could probably just grab something from the buffet (she likes pizza and chicken) and that would do her fine.

Anybody with experience of not only feeding children with the 'unusual' foods but also picky adults who are decidedly UNexperimental, your feedback is desperately needed!!

Thanks!!

Right off the top of my head I would have to say that the buffets would probably be your best shot at finding food for them - at least they can see it ahead of time - no surprises. They also have a special kids section with items like mac and cheese - all at kid level - even the tables and chairs are kid sized. There is also the 24hr comfort food place - Blue Lagoon on most ships. On the MDR menus they will have the specials of the day as well as items that are available every day - I believe that chicken and steak are on that section of the menu. My DW is not very adventurous when it comes to food - but she found everything on the MDR menu to her liking. Another choice would be the Italian restaurant - I know it is an extra charge but they do have pizza along with other Italian dishes.

Good Luck

So I have this ...problem. I think. Both my husband and my daughter (she's 4) have a *thing* about eating. My daughter has an issue with the texture of things and if it's not something she is expecting, even if she likes the taste of it, she'll spit it out or start gagging. (She tried a fresh peach for the first time the other day and loved the flavor but immediately spit it out when she took a bite because the texture freaked her out.)

My husband is decidedly bland when it comes to *his* food. No sauces, no funky seasonings, no veggies. Chicken and potatoes all the way.

Being that the majority of the meals are sort of 'mass produced', is there any way they'd do something like just cook up a plain grilled chicken breast? How about fries for a side instead of roasted or otherwise 'funky' potatoes?

I've been trying to look at the menus in the specialty restaurants on The Breakaway and getting more and more nervous about the prospect of him finding anything he'll eat. I'm sure with my daughter, we could probably just grab something from the buffet (she likes pizza and chicken) and that would do her fine.

Anybody with experience of not only feeding children with the 'unusual' foods but also picky adults who are decidedly UNexperimental, your feedback is desperately needed!!

Thanks!!

I think you'll be fine. There are simple dishes on the "anytime" menu and steak or chicken and fries will always be available. Worst case is a visit to O'Sheehan's after for chicken fingers, wings and a burger. Your husband and daughter won't go hungry. Of course there are levels of pickiness and if they are off the charts, then you may need to make changes in where you eat. Teppanyaki may be a good choice because the sauces are separate and you can make a request for no veg and still have plenty to eat.

I hope you'll report back, there are plenty of others in the same situation, and your experience will be helpful.

BTW, I'm sorry for the reason you're able to take this trip, I hope you have a really relaxing, happy family time together.

I think you'll be fine. There are simple dishes on the "anytime" menu and steak or chicken and fries will always be available. Worst case is a visit to O'Sheehan's after for chicken fingers, wings and a burger. Your husband and daughter won't go hungry. Of course there are levels of pickiness and if they are off the charts, then you may need to make changes in where you eat. Teppanyaki may be a good choice because the sauces are separate and you can make a request for no veg and still have plenty to eat.

I hope you'll report back, there are plenty of others in the same situation, and your experience will be helpful.

BTW, I'm sorry for the reason you're able to take this trip, I hope you have a really relaxing, happy family time together.

Thank you for the suggestions and for saying that :) DH is starting to actually get 'onboard' at the thought of a cruise (I've been trying to talk him into one for years but with no success lol) I think now he finally just needs a break and doesn't care where it comes from lol. He's very excited about the ports though, wants to get off the ship at every one and GO DO SOMETHING!! lol

My stepsons are equally as excited, the older has already started looking at pictures lol.

I plan on giving a very thorough review that I hope will also be readable lol.

Thanks again for your help. I just hope I don't end up doing all the 'fancy food' eating alone lol. I actually tried escargot on the cruise I went on with my mom and didn't mind it very much lol. I really like to try all those things that I never get at home, I'm a foodie and to me getting to eat that 'fancy food' is part of the thrill of a cruise for me. If I can't pronounce it, bring me two!! :D

If you are portraying your husbands and childs picky food eating accurately, my recommendation is to avoid going on a cruise. They will not enjoy the dining experience. You should vacation in a more controlled and predictable food environment.

However if you are just being overly dramatic and they are more flexible than you describe, you should be fine.

If you are portraying your husbands and childs picky food eating accurately, my recommendation is to avoid going on a cruise. They will not enjoy the dining experience. You should vacation in a more controlled and predictable food environment.

However if you are just being overly dramatic and they are more flexible than you describe, you should be fine.

As usual, the voice of rationality and sanity rings loud and true. Yes, I think given everyone else's input and my own knowledge of my family's dietary needs and wants, I'll just chuck the whole idea and head down to the Piggly Wiggly for the sampler bucket since you've said now that they will find nothing on board to eat for the week. Screw the pizza, chicken fingers, fries and burgers that others have mentioned. Breakfast food like scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon be damned.

Why is it that with almost no exception, every post I read by you is dripping with disdain for the person you're addressing? Why do you even bother contributing? Just so you have yet one more person you feel you can look down your nose at? Fascinating study in human psychology and online interpersonal relations is what you are, my 'grumpy' friend. I hope you have a lovely day.

I'm sure your DH and DD will be fine as there are plenty of options in the buffet. The buffet on the EPIC is the best we have encountered so far on NCL ships but the buffet on others are very good also. Haven't been on the Breakaway yet.

When we were on the Epic (2 weeks each time) we went to the buffet for dinner!

As usual, the voice of rationality and sanity rings loud and true. Yes, I think given everyone else's input and my own knowledge of my family's dietary needs and wants, I'll just chuck the whole idea and head down to the Piggly Wiggly for the sampler bucket since you've said now that they will find nothing on board to eat for the week. Screw the pizza, chicken fingers, fries and burgers that others have mentioned. Breakfast food like scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon be damned.

Why is it that with almost no exception, every post I read by you is dripping with disdain for the person you're addressing? Why do you even bother contributing? Just so you have yet one more person you feel you can look down your nose at? Fascinating study in human psychology and online interpersonal relations is what you are, my 'grumpy' friend. I hope you have a lovely day.

OMG !!!!! Too Funny !!! WTG .... You go Girl. Took the words right out of my mouth. Good for you, they deserved that reply. " dripping with disdain" love it LOL !!! :D

As for your topic, I don't think you'll have a problem, just ask waiter/waitress to replace a side for fries for example. They are there to please, just ask. Like others have mentioned here, there should be ample options for everyone to enjoy. Of course there's always Piggly Wiggly !!

cheers...the Ump...:D

To the OP, you are certainly not alone with your family's picky food behaviors. I think you will find that there are many options and your DH and DD will be able to find foods to eat. You can always ask for substitutions such as baked for mashed potatoes or hold the sauce or put it on the side. There are also kids menus to chose from. As many others have suggested, the buffet may work well.

However, I have to admit I am a little put off by the thought that there might be someone spitting out their food and gagging at the table. You might want to consider getting a table for just your group and not sharing with others. If you sat with me and my DH, if there was one person gagging, there would quickly be two more!

Have a great cruise. There are many things to do, see and enjoy.

I agree with the buffet idea. I've had good luck asking them to make chicken without the sauces and with basic spicing, but the texture thing on the sides could be more difficult.

Others have said they've eaten in the MDR or Cagney's (on ships that have Cagney's) and had great luck with the staff bringing basic kids' foods from the buffet to the MDR for the affected persons in a group, so the others can eat the regular food there. IIRC, the specific problem of one family was a very picky child who tended to like things like chicken planks and french fries. They said the staff was very willing to help them with it.

I understand that problem well, since two of my kids have tactile defensiveness problems and have problems eating things like peaches, pears, and peas. It's not the flavor. It's the texture of them in the mouth. Things that feel slimy, gritty, or pasty don't go over well with a sensitive child, in many cases.

EDIT...and I agree. There is NO reason for a tactile defensive child not to travel. I've been traveling with my kids since they were infants, and we always manage to work around the food isms and feed everyone well, without driving the wait staff crazy. To the OP. You'll do fine, I'm sure.

DML

First, the one poster did show his aka as "Mr Grumpy" so maybe that explains alot. I am a picky eater. Possibly not as picky as your two but.... I do not eat veggies, I try but no success (except carrots when cooked in a stew or roasted). The MDR's have a chicken breast each night. Plain. Used to be a roasted chicken 1/2 or 1/4 but last year was breast. Not alot of flavor but that may be what you are looking for. The buffets do have alot of options including fries. With so many dining venues I dont think they will have a problem finding something they like.

Go enjoy your cruise. If you look at any cruise line website they want to know if there are any special dietary needs before you go. So they cater to everyone. The saying goes there are people who eat to live and some that live to the eat. My DW could not eat off the menu one night in a NCL MDR they prepared her a plain broiled chicken breast and a veggie and potato while I had lamb I believe or a steak. Also when our children were preteens and teens and more of picky eaters than I am and they ate chicken fingers, fries, pizza and burgers for 7 days and still want to cruise again. Even as they're adults now taste buds changed and try very few new foods they are still chicken, pizza, burger and fries for the most part and looking to do a family reunion cruise next year. So go on your cruise relax and have fun with a multitude or dinning venues they will be able to eat to live.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Go enjoy your cruise. If you look at any cruise line website they want to know if there are any special dietary needs before you go. So they cater to everyone.

Ditto this suggestion. Fill out the access desk form and let them know you husband has problem with spice and your child with textures...use tactile defensive if necessary. ;) They may have you talk to someone from food services aboard, but other than that, they will be forewarned that you may require a bit of help in finding what your family members can eat. With so much food aboard, I doubt they'll have a problem.

DML

OK I don't have a picky family, however, I've been called "snoopy" by quite a few of my family members. :eek: :o

I've had no problems finding lots to eat that meets my tastebuds.

I agree with suitecruiser the "daily" side of the MDR menu, may be more to your DH's liking and the children's menu more may suit your daughter.

I've only been to Cagneys of the specialty restaurants and can attest they will serve fries if requested as a side. Also there are a lot of options on the buffet. I'd probably avoid the MDR for lunch but you can see the menu before hand and decide if there is anything that meet your DH's tastebuds.

I understand that problem well, since two of my kids have tactile defensiveness problems and have problems eating things like peaches, pears, and peas. It's not the flavor. It's the texture of them in the mouth. Things that feel slimy, gritty, or pasty don't go over well with a sensitive child, in many cases.

EDIT...and I agree. There is NO reason for a tactile defensive child not to travel. I've been traveling with my kids since they were infants, and we always manage to work around the food isms and feed everyone well, without driving the wait staff crazy. To the OP. You'll do fine, I'm sure.

DML

Wow, never knew there was a name for this. I have an issue, even as an adult with some textures of food like scrambled eggs, quiche, pumpkin pie, minced meats (like mince chicken burger). Since I've never known anyone else with any type of texture issues, I just thought I was weird :D I actually had to google this, glad to know this is not uncommon, thanks. :)

My Mother always said "keep your eyes and your ears open, and you will learn something new everyday".

You will have no problem finding items which are acceptable to both your DH and child, as you can ask for "no sauce" or request substitutions on the starch (to fries, for instance) and you can certainly request no vegetable on the plate. Despite the fact that meals are all produced in an enormous galley, these requests are always cheerfully honored.

Check out some of the menus that have been posted by others, to get an idea of the various options available - you'll see that on any given menu there are options that you could work with.

Relax. Go and enjoy your cruise. You truly deserve it. ;)

Wow, never knew there was a name for this. I have an issue, even as an adult with some textures of food like scrambled eggs, quiche, pumpkin pie, minced meats (like mince chicken burger). Since I've never known anyone else with any type of texture issues, I just thought I was weird :D I actually had to google this, glad to know this is not uncommon, thanks. :)

My Mother always said "keep your eyes and your ears open, and you will learn something new everyday".

VERY common. I worked for over a decade in special needs child care and special needs schools, and I can tell you it's one of the most common things we deal with. Sensory defensiveness and sensory processing disorders of all types (tactile, auditory, and motion-related...it's harder to deal with olfactory and visual...usually doctors do a lot of the latter two) are all over the place. They are attached to all types of neurological disorders and genetic disorders, including autism, Down's Syndrome, and others. We work hard to start addressing them at 2 or 3...earlier if we can get the child into programs for it. My best friend's daughter started into an infant stim program for hers at 15 months old.

Some schools only deal with tactile defensiveness as applies to using the hands and feet. They teach kids to use finger paint, pull crackers out of whipped cream, dribble a ball with fingertips, walk on sand...use weight vests and cocooning to offer deep muscle pressure. They use balance boards and 360 degree swings to help with motion defensiveness/processing. There's a word for that. I know it's based on gyro (like gyroscope), but I can't recall the full term right now, since I've only had a couple of students for a year or so who required it.

We also dealt with food defensiveness, but there's only so much you can do about that one. It's really hard to acclimate someone who gags at certain textures, since you're making them sick and MORE resistant to the texture, in many cases, so a lot of them just deal with it, as long as it's not too severe. If it's flavors, they sometimes do things like require a TBS or two of new flavors every week to make the kid more receptive (we hope) to unusual flavors, but texture is harder to work with.

I know one child who has a very limited palate, since he has texture problems...much more severe than those my own kids have. He eats only things like white bread (NO whole grain), cheese, some types of fruit and cereal bars, a rare few types of fruit, milk, juice, the occasional soda, chips, french fries, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, some cereals, no red meat, no vegetables besides carrots cooked in gravy/drippings... He's very difficult to prepare meals for, and his family usually carries much of what he eats with them and allow him to grab what he's hungry for.

DML

To the OP, no worries. My husband is a picky very bland eater. His condiments are salt, pepper, BBQ sauce, gravy without oninions or mushrooms & Mustard. He will not touch food which even looks like an onion, mushroom, tomato, bell pepper, or just about anything else anywhere near it. The only specialty restaurant we eat in is Cagney's, just because he wouldn't eat any from the others.

Anyway we have been on 5 NCL cruises, 1 HAL, 1 RCCL, & 1 Carnival. He NEVER went hungry. Food can and will be cooked as plain as you want it. As someone previously said the MDR has a menu which is available every night. I'm not about chicken, however I know there is a steak on the always available.

Enjoy your cruise. :D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and now I'm really glad I posted not just for myself but for the people this appears to be helping...it's amazing to me the things we think we deal with alone until one day there's a conversation and suddenly you realize not only do other people have it too but there's even a name for it! Lol and yah that must be what DD has but I think only very slight because she can be encouraged to try things and often we can even get her to actually tolerate and/or enjoy them. She finally can handle fizzy things now for the first time.

And for the person worried about us grossing out potential tablemates fear not...there will be 5 in our group and we're very much looking forward to this as a bonding time so I had already planned on getting us our own seating :)

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Forums mobile app

Try to find a time to speak with the maitre d' of one of the main dining rooms soon after you board. There used to be a published time on embarkation day when you could do this, not sure if it's still available but the reception desk can tell you. If this isn't offered, stop by the dining room right when it opens for dinner. Explain your situation and he should be able to help you with a little advance planning. The staff really wants you to have a good dining experience, there should be no need to eat all your meals at the buffet. Be clear with your waiter about what you want, he should be able to bring DH and DD simple meals that they will eat while you have something fancier. Plain chicken or steak with fries or mashed potatoes should be no problem.

Even if you want something off the menu that is seasoned order it without...mass prepared food is plated individually so a chef can make it as you like, I waited tables at a catering hall aka wedding factory everything is prepared ahead of time but cooked to order. Do not have any worries about food on a ship it is a floating small city. They can sell you some snacks in the shops if you think that can help also. And you never know they may find something that they may like at meal time.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Please talk to the head chef when you have your first meal. NCL bends over backwards to meet individual needs. Let your husband and daughter tell the chef what they like. They will then make a bond that last the entire cruise. They might have you call early so they know where they are eating, but, they will have something. Then they can add to it from the buffet. Good luck, I think it will work out for you, again, if you talk to the chef. Simmering in Simplicity! :D

YOU ROCK !!!

As far as NCL and food, I personally love the Buffet, so many choices, so many things to try everyday. Take a spoon, don't like, don't eat.

I'm not a seafood person, but evey day I could try a different type of seafood dish, just to know what it was like.

You don't know what it's like until you try ... But you can always Grab a burger anywhere.

Enjoy your cruise, -and- in the word of Bob Marley "Don't worry about a thing, 'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

I think that I might already be a little ahead of the game on some of this because we'll be booking a haven suite so we'll have a little more time to bend the ear of the butler and concierge. All of this advise so so greatly appreciated and thank you all so much for taking the time! I'll make sure to post a very thorough review about the cruise and specifically this subject so that there's another resource out there :)

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Forums mobile app

Archived