Amsterdam to Budapest

deec

Off the boat at 9:15 and returned at 6. We took the optional trip to Rothenburg. Avery nice 1 hour drive through the German countryside. The walking tour was nice and informative. We were given almost two hours to explore, probably an hour too long, we had a nice lunch in town, but we were limited to al;most NO time in Wurzburg as a result.

We saw the grand palace in Wurzburg and it was quite spectacular.

First day with limited rain, today looks like more rain. We would like to have been given a map with the mile markers on the river. It would help giving everyone a sense of where we were and what was coming up. You can buy them but please, toss one in.

A second suggestion would be a little more detail ahead of time with what we can expect day to day. You can cobble this together with notes on the board and some pre travel documents, but knowing what time they predict leaving and arriving would be nice.

Last tip, everyday they have a shore briefing in the lounge :15 to :30 before dinner. Nice way to socialize. But if you want to just get the information (which includes off the ship times), you can tune into the lobby channel on the TV.

On to Bamburg

When considering a river cruise keep in mind that while it is a wonderful way to spend your vacation, travel depends on the height of the river.

Don't want to hear later that things were ruined because the river was too high or too low.

However, I for one think it is a risk worth taking.

Negma, thank you for taking us along on your cruise. We have just booked our first river cruise on the Viking Bragi for August 2014. We will also be doing Amsterdam to Budapest. Excited to be trying something new!! We are aware that river cruising is very different from ocean cruising. No worries there. :D

Cheers, Denise

Off the ship at 1. 1/2 hour bus ride to city. This was not the highlight of the trip. Bamberg is a nice city, but very few highlights other than smokey beer and a town hall in the river (even a Tom Cruise story). We were there until 6:45 (they told us in advance) due to some river delays. It was way too long with not a lot to do. Many folks just hung out at the cafes for two hours. There were also other ships in port so it was a little crowded. First time other ship was tied up next to ours so they had to walk through our lobby area.

I know that sounds great for some, hanging in a cafe, but for us still too long. Many stayed on the ship for the day. We figured we would rather roam around Bamberg.

Rack of lamb for dinner and everyone LOVED it.

I made a husband mistake and thought we would be doing some of the WW2 sites in the regular included walking tour for Nuremberg. OOPS. Well Karina out CD is great. She squeezed us in and I am very happy. Also may be a day without rain. There are 4 other ships here, a fifth if you include the Mississippi queen..really...

Hard to believe one week to go. We have talked to many folks that have cruised everywhere, and the vast majority are really enjoying the trip.

Big tip of the day, THIS IS BIG!! When changing or getting dressed, close both both drapes. We were on the bus next to a sister Viking ship and a woman was getting dressed. NOT good for anyone.

This stop was very moving. watching Germans struggle with their past and the future shows how deep this **** past runs in the culture.. This was my favorite stop on the trip and the extra excursion was well worth the money. You also see how the Germans have tough decisions to make on what to teach and not teach.

Our guide Tom was excellent. The guides overall have been consistently excellent. Going through the locks has also been a fun side attraction. The locks outside of Nuremberg are huge.

One issues with the boat. Exercising for those inclined is tough. The top of the ship where you can walk is closed a lot due to the height of the bridges. We have used pedometers and put in around 10,000 steps on full days off the ship, and 4,000 otherwise. Still no ESPN for Tennis.

Finally warming up and I know everyone is breaking out the shorts today. On to Regensberg. Off the ship around 1:30.

I was interested in the comments about Nuremberg. It was not my favorite stop because the 20-something female guide told us that Nuremberg "used to be beautiful until the Americans and Brits destroyed it during WWII." She did not mention Nuremberg's place in WWII history.

Being a history teacher I wanted to sit her down and explain why "we" bombed it. Such a cavalier disregard for the city's history was fairly breathtaking. Those weren't the only such comments she made.

An Aussie cruiser wanted to know why I was (visibly) upset and so I gave her a very brief history of Nuremberg. She went and got her husband and had me repeat what I had just told her. He told me that his father had made his way from a German slave labor camp to a DP site and was voluntarily resettled in Australia. There he married and began his new life but did not tell his children much about his former life in Germany.

The son and I did not tip the guide and told our CD that the guide's company needed to give her a new script.

CCB- That would of upset me too. I think this is difficult for many to understand. This came up a few times about how we bombed them, BUT our guide always balanced out the fact that they started it, The guides make a huge difference. One persons opinion I guess

Regensburg- We were told Berg is for mountains and burg is for castles (assuming I got that right) of course some have both, go figure. After visiting this town I would have passed on the early optional tour to Rothenburg. Very similar and no need for the hour bus ride unless you like a nice scenic ride, and no extra dollars.

A lot is made of the 800 year old bridge and it is very neat. Read Ken Follets Pillars of the Earth and World without end and it really will give you a feel for cities like Regensburg. We also recommend you go up to the Basilica, it really felt genuinely old, we really liked that and the Thurn and Taxis museum. Very cool gems and jewels, don't miss the carriages, very different.

It is amazing to see how they were flooded and what they did to protect themselves with metal barriers, it was only 3 weeks ago.

We continue to meet some wonderful people. I would recommend trying to sit with different folks as much as you can. I did not think I was going to like the 6 to a table set up but it has worked out fine. Everyone is in the same boat (couldn't resist that one). 95% of the people are retired if that makes a difference, but many are so active you would never know.

This morning we will be off the ship at 10 for Passau. They have told us most shops are open but some of the restaurants near the water may not be. We will keep you updated. Time to see a church and hear the largest church organ play!

Negma,

Have really enjoyed reading your posts. It’s nice to hear some positive comments about Viking! We are going on the City of Lights tour with Viking in June 2014 and will be stopping at some of the same ports as you have. I do have a few questions regarding the optional tours.

Are optional tours offered in every port?

Did you get a list of the optional tours being offered on your cruise ahead of time (prior to your cruise)?

Is it possible to do both the included tour and an optional tour or is the timing you have to choose one or the other?

What was the cost of your tour in Nuremberg?

Some of the other cruise lines have bicycle tours. Did Viking offer any bike tours? Does Viking have bicycles?

Thanks!

Hi Negma,

Thank you very much for the informative updates.

We'll be doing Budapest to Amsterdam in October this year and so read all posts with great interest!

I have some mobility issues (can only walk short distances; can't stand for long periods etc). I'm sure I can get around the boat all right including up and down the stairs but do have some concerns about some of the excursions. I will be bringing a mobility scooter (Travelscoot - weighs only 35 pounds) which I (if I have access to a handrail) or my wife can carry up reasonable flights of stairs etc. My question is, given the above, how accessible have you found the tours you have gone on? Would they be 'doable' for someone like me?

Thanks for the response and the updates.

Wishing you continued sunny days

Have a good one

WOW, our tour guide told us we were on of the first ships to stop since the floods. I can not describe how high the water was, but the markings on the buildings showed it to be a record. Our guide said it just kept rising and rising and they were cut off from everywhere. If you did not know they had been flooded it was not obvious. Everything was open. They were trying to dry out the lower levels and there was that mildew smell in some places.

We did the church of course and the organ concert. There was 1/2 hour between the tour and the concert. We went to the WC and when we came back the church was full with :15. We found seats. It was very good and :30 was plenty long enough for me.

We also went to the glass museum. Very nice glass, but there is room after room after room. Two weeks ago the bottom floor was underwater! We also climbed the steps to the castle and museum across the river. It is a big hike! We did not go into the museum as I was museumed out.

Leaving Passau they opened the top of the boat and be careful! One bridge was very low.

I may have mentioned this, but they do need more "snack availability" There are a few times it would be nice to have a snack. Sometimes the choice is limited at lunch (rare but it happens).

We are in Krems now and I will update that later (not much to say). A cocktail is waiting for me now. I will also get to your questions too. One I can answer in regards to the scooter, I have not seen any this trip, many cobblestone streets and bikes everywhere. I will ask my wife her opinion on that one because I know she has one. Thank you for the feedback, more to come. Hard to believe we have 4 days left.

I was interested in the comments about Nuremberg. It was not my favorite stop because the 20-something female guide told us that Nuremberg "used to be beautiful until the Americans and Brits destroyed it during WWII." She did not mention Nuremberg's place in WWII history.

Being a history teacher I wanted to sit her down and explain why "we" bombed it. Such a cavalier disregard for the city's history was fairly breathtaking. Those weren't the only such comments she made.

Wow, what truly ignorant (or worse) remarks to have made. I would have been upset as well.

We got the line that the Allies bombed them "too much" when we were in Passau.... But, it was after the guide thanked us for being part of a tour group that brought tourism to Passau, as it was needed to support the local economy - so we cut her some slack.

Our guide in Nuremberg was OK - not stellar... which is why we have booked a private guide when we return there in September.

Fran

When is less more? On big cruise ships you have sea days where you can hang out and do nothing. On this cruise that does not exist, or should it? Today was a great example. Melk is an off the boat at 9 back on at 12. There is an Abbey with a church, and a quaint little town. The Abbey is a nice tour, but not a "have to see" in my opinion.

Then a beautiful afternoon on the top deck on viewing the scenery on the Danube. Find a chair, bring your camera and relax. A great afternoon.

Krems, get off the ship at 4. if you are doing the optional excursions great (we were not interested in either of them, otherwise stay on the ship relax, Krems is just not worth it. This brings me back to the original point. You get so busy that you feel obligated to go on the included tours, find a few to skip and relax from the hustle, you will feel better the next day.

The alternative is to get rid of a Krems type stop and spend more time in Vienna, there is so much to see and do that can not be done in one day. More on Vienna later.

I learned that you can order a light bar menu in the lounge at night starting at 7:15. There are a couple of times we might have done that. Very limited menu, salad, burger,sandwich.

To answer another question about optional trips, a few weeks before you leave you get a cruise book from Viking. Go over the ports and in there they give a high level explanation of the optional tours. Then the first night they start taking sign ups. Be ready to make some quick decisions. These will be for the first week, then you do it again about a week later. They could do a better job of this since you really need some time to make decisions. Hopefully this day by day and others (which we read before going) is helpful.

thanks everyone!

waiting for our TA's package for the trip have asked for Uniworld' date=' AMAway and Viking. Both with and without airfare and Amsterdam extension.

Even considering the "all-inclusive", I think Uniworld will come in high if we upgrade to a French Balcony. Wish their windows opened in category 3![/quote']

How exciting!!! Have you received the info from your TA yet?

They showed us pictures of the area we were standing that was underwater only two weeks ago. Pretty amazing, you never would have known. We also started going through the locks last night and it is pretty amazing to watch, until you have done it 20 times, only 44 to go.

Sorry about all the rain but I am glad to hear you are still on the cruise. I have read numerous things about cancellations and possible ones. You just never know. A few years ago there were cancellations because of low water. Sounds like you are having a great time :)

An Aussie cruiser wanted to know why I was (visibly) upset and so I gave her a very brief history of Nuremberg. She went and got her husband and had me repeat what I had just told her. He told me that his father had made his way from a German slave labor camp to a DP site and was voluntarily resettled in Australia. There he married and began his new life but did not tell his children much about his former life in Germany.

The son and I did not tip the guide and told our CD that the guide's company needed to give her a new script.

Good for you. I was in a UN tour in NY once and our guide made a point of knocking the US whenever she could. I wish I would have said something.

Off the boat at 9. Bus tour around the city, not too impressive until you come to the Volksgarden area where the national museums are. The architecture is really amazing. The tour ended up for about an hour of free time to visit the area before the bus goes back for lunch.Not much time to see a lot. We decided to do our own explorations.

An underutilized resource is the concierge. He was very helpful in telling us where to go and how to get there. The rail systems are very easy. If you stayed with the tour you went back to the ship, had lunch then a :25 minute bus ride to Schoenburg estate.Beautiful big castle and estates. Then bus ride back to boat for dinner. Many took the optional concert back in town after dinner. We did not go but those that did said it was great.

We went to the shoenberg on our own actually cheaper than the cruise amount price Very impressive. we took the Underground back to the city and walked and walked. I would HIGHLY recommend getting over to the Volksgarden area. There is not enough time to get in all the museums but it is a great area.One day is just enough for a taste of Vienna. A beautiful stop. Please excuse my spelling on this post.

The question of scooters came up and i would suggest contacting Viking. I have not seen one of them on any of the streets over the last three days nor can I remember seeing one prior days. We have one couple who is using a wheelchair and it has been a labor of love in some towns. Bratislava tomorrow at 8:30 am. OUCH

Back to back posts and caught up. A nap is in my future. On the bus at 8:30 am and a city tour. Not very impressive as a city, a lot of graffiti. We toured around on the bus and stopped at yes, wait for it, the castle. Our tour guide was very good and told a nice history lesson.

The best part of the tour was going into the old town. This could be a fun area to hang out and explore except today many places are closed due to a holiday. We had some ice cream, come on, we have not eaten in two hours. There was also a boat tied up next to ours and a lot of folks walking through the lobby.

There was an optional home stay you could do, but the ship is leaving at 11:45am, so a brief stop. They use Euro's here.

This afternoon is the disembarkation talk were they said they would review everything you need to know. It also means only one more day, we are staying an extra day in Budapest though. Time for lunch, we are coming up on the 2 hour have not eaten mark, I see a nap in my future.

This has been a great trip.

Back to back posts and caught up. A nap is in my future. On the bus at 8:30 am and a city tour. Not very impressive as a city, a lot of graffiti. We toured around on the bus and stopped at yes, wait for it, the castle. Our tour guide was very good and told a nice history lesson.

The best part of the tour was going into the old town. This could be a fun area to hang out and explore except today many places are closed due to a holiday. We had some ice cream, come on, we have not eaten in two hours. There was also a boat tied up next to ours and a lot of folks walking through the lobby.

There was an optional home stay you could do, but the ship is leaving at 11:45am, so a brief stop. They use Euro's here.

This afternoon is the disembarkation talk were they said they would review everything you need to know. It also means only one more day, we are staying an extra day in Budapest though. Time for lunch, we are coming up on the 2 hour have not eaten mark, I see a nap in my future.

This has been a great trip.

I am currently doing Budapest to Amsterdam on the Avalon Expression and we are in Bratislava today. We enjoyed the trip around the old town, it was very interesting and is definitely recommended.

David

Negma,

Thank you for your informative posts. I will be taking the same itinerary later this summer. Is there a place to iron clothing on the Viking ships? What about an exercise room? Finally, how dressed up do people get during the day and then in the evening? I don't want to bring to much clothing.

Came in last night, BEAUTIFUL. When they tell you to go to the top deck, GO! A true highlight.

There is no exercise room. This is a negative. There is a walking track but often the top is closed due to the bridges. I have not seen any ironing areas, use the counter in the room?

Dress at dinner has been pretty much anything. A collared shirt and almost any type of pants. We have seen shorts and jeans at dinner. Last night was a little more formal (captains dinner) but only a few sport coats. I call it country club casual.

More on Budapest later...Our last day on the ship :(

I have not seen any ironing areas, use the counter in the room?

There are no ironing boards in the rooms for a good reason... they don't want you ironing in there!!

On at least one of our cruises, the documents are very clear that you are NOT to use an iron in your room for safety reasons. If you really want something ironed, spend a couple of bucks and have the ship's laundry do it!!!

Fran

Archived