Most expensive places to visit

For those that inquired about the éclair, gosh I really can't remember exactly where but it was in the area of the Stroget. We were doing our walking tour and we were either on the Stoget or very near it. It was just a bakery that had some yummy looking stuff in the window and we stopped in and we each came out with éclairs.

Sorry I can't be a bit more specific

Cheers

Len

From the Age newspaper in Melbourne yesterday, they have this headline: "World's most expensive cities for tourists named" with these highlights: "Travellers in Oslo can expect to reach for their wallets with the Norwegian capital ranking as the most expensive for a night out on the town at $561.26, according to a cost comparison of the world's key cities. Sydney, costing $445.64 for a night out, ranked No. 6 among the European-dominated mix of priciest places that included Zurich No. 2, Stockholm No. 3, Paris No. 5, London No. 7 and Copenhagen No. 8. The TripAdvisor TripIndex Cities is based on the cost of a couple staying one night in a four-star hotel, cocktails, a two-course dinner with a bottle of wine, and return taxi fare of 3.2 kilometres each way. The list shows that Asia is the most affordable continent, while Europe is the most expensive, but some European cities – like Sofia, Warsaw and Budapest – are bucking this trend."

Stockholm was at $504.30 and Copenhagen at $429.55 according to these cost comparisons of the world's key cities.

Full story at:

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/worlds-most-expensive-cities-for-tourists-named-20130611-2o1o7.html

On my live/blog noted below, I posted on this question: “What did we learn about Norway and its economy during this visit?”

Norway is very, very costly. That's one of the key advantages for doing a cruise there to lessen some of those higher lodging, food and local transportation costs when attempting a land tour. From my research, there are three main factors. First, that 25% VAT tax hidden in the cost of all products and services does really add up. Second, their taxes are very high and those costs all get added into things and drive up labor, etc., costs. Third, since so many of their goods need to be imported (with decent tariffs added on), it all makes these costs higher and higher. Without all of the oil wealth since 1969, Norway would have more fiscal challenges. Thanks to that oil money, it has driven up labor costs in many parts of their country. That wealth, however, means they have no national debt, have enjoyed lots of infrastructure improvements and have a "sovereign fund" equaling about $100K per person. It's an interesting country and financial situation. And then there is the beauty of these coasts with their expected fjords, plus the mountains, green fields, etc.

What might things cost in Norway? Here are a range of examples. At a 7-11 (yes they have those there) in Alesund, a Snickers candy bar would be $4. A beer in front of the historic warehouses in Bergen was $13.25. Lunch for two with a small pizza, hamburger and two drinks was $65 in Tromso. You get the idea? Not cheap. Sorry! Far from it. A Toyota RAV4 that costs around $23,000 here would have been $62K at the showroom in Leknes on the Lofoten Island.

Our guide in Bergen also explained that there are serious labor and people “imbalances” in Norway. Women are in larger numbers (compared to men) in the cities, while in the more rural/country and more northern areas, it is the men in much larger proportion. The country also needs more people as its population is aging, quickly. About 8% of the population is immigrants. Our guide said there is a phrase of “we need more hands” to reflect the future question/challenge of who will do the work and services in the future for Norway.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 109,981 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

How sad that people can afford to travel half way around the world and then want to eat junk food rather than try some of the local delicacies.

I didn't see anyone advocating junk food. Or do you consider eating Fried Herring, Caviar from a tube, local buffets and eclairs junk food?

I interpreted the references to Burger King and TGIFriday's a reference point for the cost of living, which IS the main point of this thread.

Some people who afford travel half way around the world are doing so on an inside cabin budget.

I didn't see anyone advocating junk food. Or do you consider eating Fried Herring, Caviar from a tube, local buffets and eclairs junk food?

I interpreted the references to Burger King and TGIFriday's a reference point for the cost of living, which IS the main point of this thread.

Some people who afford travel half way around the world are doing so on an inside cabin budget.

After all, if it works for The Economist...

http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

How sad that people can afford to travel half way around the world and then want to eat junk food rather than try some of the local delicacies.

What do you mean "rather than?" McDonald's in Norway serves a brown cheese breakfast sandwich! You can get junk food and local delicacies!

2vskt95.jpg

Too funny!

I'm glad someone can bring a humorous perspective on this.

BTW, where do you get hot dogs in Oslo for 25 NOK? Are there hot dog carts all over the city? That sounds like a good deal. Are they any different from hot dogs from America? Maybe they can be considered local delicacy.

If we compare with the linked Big Mac index then its Sweden and Norway you have to worry about and not Denmark.

Country - Big Mac Price (in USD) - Overvalued in %

Russia - 2,43 - -44,5%

Great Britain - 4,25 - -2,7%

USA - 4,37 - 0 %

Turkey - 4,78 - 9,4%

Eurozone - 4,88 - 11,7%

Australia - 4,90 - 12,2%

Denmark - 5,18 - 18,7%

Canada - 5,37 - 23,5%

Uruguay - 5,45 - 24,7%

Brazil - 5,64 - 29,2%

Switzerland - 7,12 - 63,1%

Sweden - 7,62 - 74,5%

Norway - 7,84 - 79,6%

The Eurozone is more difficult to calculate because I´m guessing the the Big Mac is more expensive in some countries (belgium, France, Netherlands and Finland) compared to lets say Greece, Spain, Slovakia and others

I got the sense that Copenhagen was much more proud of their hot dogs than Oslo is.

I think around here, people just eat them because they can afford them, but you can find a variety of kinds of pølse (technically sausages, but usually close to hot dogs, because the local tastes favor more finely ground sausage meat) at just about any larger convenience store, like a Narvesen. If you want to add a bit of local flavor, order it in a lompe (potato flatbread) instead of a bun! It's strange at first, but I found that it grows on you, and now I prefer them that way.

Or if you're having a lazy day and the weather is nice, go to the grocery and pick up some sausages, lompe, ketchup/mustard, and an engangsgrill (one-time use grill), and have a picnic in one of the parks. When the sun comes out, this is the height of summer cuisine, because everyone wants to be out absorbing as much vitamin D as possible! It's not too expensive, great for people watching, and a very authentic local experience. ;)

We sure love our hot dogs, but I don't think that there is a hot dog index :D

I don't know why we have and obsession with hot dogs but its almost mandatory to visit a skinkekutter (ham trawler).

But please don't order a French hotdog because that's just a sausage in a long bread with a hole in the middle with either Sennep, Ketchup or Hotdog dressing, Very boring but tasty.

You have to order a Pølse med brød (sausage with bread) instead and add all the ingredients.

That is Pickles, raw onions (sometimes also roasted onions) sennep (sp?) and ketchup.

You can both get a boiled sausage (the red one) and the roasted ones that includes the regular one, one with cheese inside, one is wrapped in Bacon and my favourite, Medisterpølsen uuumh. :D

I have seen a chili version also.

The Medisterpølse is a more meaty bigger/fatter sausage and it is the best without a doubt, I don't know how most people just get along with the normal boiled sausage.

And even better, try the organic one at the bottom of The Round Tower, its the best.

Danish Viking, now you're making me want to try your hot dogs.

We are staying at the Phoenix Copenhagen at Bredgade 37. Do you know of any hot dog places/stands close by?

There is a døgn netto around the corner from the hotel. Would that store sell them?

Too funny!

I'm glad someone can bring a humorous perspective on this.

BTW, where do you get hot dogs in Oslo for 25 NOK? Are there hot dog carts all over the city? That sounds like a good deal. Are they any different from hot dogs from America? Maybe they can be considered local delicacy.

I don't remember Oslo, but after paying $100 for a slice of pizza, bowl of pasta, a glass of wine and a glass of water in Copenhagen, dh & I decided to try the hot dogs as local delicacies, lol.

they are served differently, wrapped in a dough, with the toppings squeezed in first, sort of like giant pigs in a blanket.

On Stroget there were also carts that had crepes with things like Nutella and bananas.

In Tallinn, we ate a full meal at one of the "medieval" places - can't remember the name, but not the one that is mentioned in Lair Bear's post of the walk, but close to it. It was so reasonable. DH had beer, I had a glass of wine, we had a huge entrée and dessert and it was around $35 with a tip (2011).

We sure love our hot dogs, but I don't think that there is a hot dog index :D

IYou have to order a Pølse med brød (sausage with bread) instead and add all the ingredients.

That is Pickles, raw onions (sometimes also roasted onions) sennep (sp?) and ketchup.

The Medisterpølse is a more meaty bigger/fatter sausage and it is the best without a doubt, I don't know how most people just get along with the normal boiled sausage.

And even better, try the organic one at the bottom of The Round Tower, its the best.

aha! Now I have to go back - those sound delicious. The others were tasty, and, for us, used to a plain bun, the wrapping made them not boring, but the ones you mention sound even better!

Lots of people are interested in cruising but not local delicacies.

It's also hard to find good local delicacies in many places if you don't know where to look for it. I'm in Stockholm a few times every year but I don't know where to find local delicacies there.

Most people in Sweden don't eat any local delicacies very often.

Danish Viking, now you're making me want to try your hot dogs.

We are staying at the Phoenix Copenhagen at Bredgade 37. Do you know of any hot dog places/stands close by?

There is a døgn netto around the corner from the hotel. Would that store sell them?

That must be the one at Nyhavn, he's very proud of them.

I once stood by this hog dog cart and talking in telephone with my friends and told them that I stood by a Pølsevogn.

The man interrupted my by saying that is was Nyhavns Pølser, so not a regular one I presume :D

Archived