Dawn - Aft Penthouse or Family Suite

gail-s

We're starting to plan our cruise for next summer on the Dawn to Bermuda and I need to decide what room to book. It'll be DH and I and DD12. Last time we did a balcony room and it was tiny. This time I've decided it's between and aft facing balcony (I've always enjoyed rooms on the back when we could get them) and a family suite with a balcony. The family suite lists a larger overall size, but I'm wondering which one has the "edge". If you were doing this trip, what would you book and why?

Thanks!

I am looking to go back to Bermuda on the Dawn as well. I just got back a couple of weeks ago on the Breakaway to Bermuda! That place is beautiful and I am doing it again, but this time I think I will try the Dawn! Looking at July right now! When do y'all plan on going?

We're starting to plan our cruise for next summer on the Dawn to Bermuda and I need to decide what room to book. It'll be DH and I and DD12. Last time we did a balcony room and it was tiny. This time I've decided it's between and aft facing balcony (I've always enjoyed rooms on the back when we could get them) and a family suite with a balcony. The family suite lists a larger overall size, but I'm wondering which one has the "edge". If you were doing this trip, what would you book and why?

Thanks!

I would go with the family balcony, it's closer to the pool ( all three of my kids are water baby's so being closer to the pool would be a big deciding factor ), plus its bigger. On the other hand, If you want to save money go Aft.

I have to agree with the advice so far.

Our family of 5 has been dedicated aft balcony fans but last year we sailed the Dawn in a SD Family suite . They are wonderful. huge, great view, plenty of space, large balconies and conveniently located.

I have a gallery of shots from our suite that I can share if you would like to see pics. Just drop me an email at the address in my signature.

Fwiw - I had the aft penthouse 2 years ago - tried the sj balcony suite last year. I am running back (pun) to the aft - balcony half covered and no wind while sailing was my deciding factor - tho the bathrooms on 12 is divine! Lots of floor space on 12 too. All depends on what is important to you! Enjoy your cruise. Mine starts in 13 hours! Whoop!

It's funny, everyone says the location is great and the location is one of the things I'm worried about. I don't want to be TOO close to the pool so that it's always loud and there are always people walking around by our room.

It's funny, everyone says the location is great and the location is one of the things I'm worried about. I don't want to be TOO close to the pool so that it's always loud and there are always people walking around by our room.

There are automatic doors separating the pool area and the cabin hallway so pool deck noise inside is not a big problem. But yes, all the balcony family suites are towards the aft from the fwd elevators so there will be talking people walking through the hallway during the day and evening. I can't say anything about the noise to the balcony, I have only stayed in a SJ on Star (our cabin was directly adjacent to the elevator lobby, about where the first of the suites with balcony is on Dawn).

At least for our upcoming repo cruise the price difference between family suites with or without balcony was $750pp and I was so happy about our SJ on Star (even though I was originally a bit afraid about the absence of the balcony) that there was no way that I'd have splurged extra $1500 just to get private balcony as the sun deck (and deck 13 for just watching ports etc) are so very conviniently close. YMMV of course. :)

Archived