VIKING PASSENGERS - were you cruising on The Danube on 2 June 2013?

Amtico

I should not have had to learn about Viking wanting me to contact them again through this site, that information should have been sent to each and every guest.

In fairness though, each and every guest is not still dissatisfied so they only need to talk to those with continuing or specific issues.

Where they probably could do better is getting those who do call the usual numbers properly referred to the right contact within the right department as several of the people who have posted here seem to have had problems with the normal phone agents not escalating properly.

Because of viking's post I did call them, and spoke to Meredith.

She has promised a contact by week's end..

Thanks for listening,

I am done!

Jeanne Q

Glad you finally got to SPEAK with a real live human being in the right department on the phone.

I note you are new to CC but this is the best place for info about cruising from people who have cruised before and encountered every imaginable issue. Together we are a vast source of information from around the world.

I hope you are not 'done' with CC and do post back here after 'Meredith' contacts you again.

Maybe not every guest, but on a ship that that accommodates abut 150, we have email addresses (68) representing 136 guests. We are communicating with each other daily through our own group.

I doubt I will continue in this thread, as I doubt I will cruise again. This may be a great place to find some things out, but again, I should not have learned about the Viking post here. And as wee learn from other posts, if I do reach an agreement with Viking, I will not be allowed to share it, wonder why? Don't answer it was just rhetorical.

I have been reading the many postings since the flooding happened and I would like to share some of my experiences. We left Prague on May 31st just as the weather situation was deteriorating rapidly and although it was a day of delayed flights and frantic connections, with Frankfurt down to one runway, I am fortunate that my river cruise trip had just finished and was not just beginning.

I had been on a Viking cruise on the Elbe and it was my 7th cruise with Viking and I am planning to book future cruises with the company. I had noticed that the river was quite high at the time of our cruise but since a previous cruise of mine had been interrupted by high water levels, I was likely more aware of it than most of the passengers.

My cruise/coach trip occurred a few years ago on the Eastern European Explorer itinerary and our ship ended up docked at Novi Sad as we were unable to get under the bridge there to continue to the Black Sea. I was travelling as a single and had to deal with the situation alone and was very disappointed that my nice cruise had become a tour with long bus trips, less than great hotels and food that actually made a number of us ill. We finally reached Bucharest with an extra night in the Hilton and then I joined the Transylvania extension.

I did contact Viking upon my return and was given a voucher as compensation but when I joined my next cruise in France I met up with 3 people who been on the same cruise in Eastern Europe and who had been compensated far more handsomely than I had been. I sent an email to Viking from the ship in Paris and Viking actually phoned me while I was onboard the ship in an effort to resolve the matter. It was eventually resolved and I feel I was compensated appropriately. My complaints were similar to some that I have been reading here lately so I would like to offer my comments on this very upsetting experience that many people have had.

First of all, my initial concern was that Viking had prior knowledge of the high water levels on that section of the Danube at that time. In fact I had emailed them regarding the information that I found on the internet a full 2 weeks prior to departure from home. They were not concerned and reiterated that standard line that they were monitoring the situation and water levels can change quickly, etc. As it turned out, we had a lot of rain during our cruise and the water level was eventually too high for that particular ship to pass under the Novi Sad bridge. An Avalon ship passed under it but our catamaran was unable to do so.

This recent flooding has been such a disaster in so many ways. I doubt that anyone could have predicated just how quickly the rivers went from just being high to devastating floods. I watched the days pass as the river cruise companies made decisions to alter or cancel trips and thought of the nightmare it must have been trying to cope with so many logistical problems and with so many people involved. Trying to find coaches, tour guides, hotels and restaurants capable of last minute requests must have been very difficult if not impossible at times.

River cruising is a wonderful way to travel but it is not inexpensive by any means. It's so disheartening to save for years for a special occasion trip of a lifetime only to have it turn into the vacation from hell that so many of you experienced.

On my trip I think I preferred to hold out some hope that the situation would improve so I could enjoy what we were doing as long as it lasted. The Program Director did his very best to try and keep spirits up until the inevitable happened and the Captain announced the cruise was over. At least I enjoyed the time I did spend on the ship and then decided that I would get to see more of Bulgaria than I ever thought I would.

I actually had read the fine print and knew that the cruise companies refuse to be held responsible for weather conditions, water levels etc. so the fact that I was compensated was welcome. I do appreciate the fact that some of you had very bad experiences, much worse than mine, and it does appear that more cruises should have been cancelled but hindsight is 20/20. I have seen complaints directed towards some of the other cruise lines as well.

I would also like to mention that in the Viking Itinerary and Departure Information booklet, it mentions a Viking Service Guarantee whereby if their service is lacking at the very beginning of your trip and you report it, they have 24 hours to correct the situation but if this is not possible, you can depart and they will refund 100% of your cruise cost. It does not completely define "service" other than to say "including food, personnel or shore excursions" but it begs the question.

After all has been said and done and the waters recede and the dust has settled, i guess some things wont change as a result of this PR customer service nightmare.

Todays email with the "Deal du jour" has still the PAY NOW clause. I would hope that viking would be bending over backwards to be more user friendly. Guess they still have a ways to go to match what other companies do.

2014 Early Booking Discount: Offer valid for new bookings only as of June 1, 2013. 2-for-1 cruise and up to 2-FOR-1 air (on Russia and Ukraine itineraries from BOS, EWR, NYC, PHL or PIT; on China or Mekong itineraries from LAX, SFO, PDX, or SEA; other gateways available see website for prices or call for details) are considered a single offer. Air does not have to be purchased to get cruise/tour offer. Must request offer code EBD at time of booking and pay in full by June 30, 2013. Offer expires June 30, 2013.

Viking River Cruises : does not do the right thing when things go wron

We, along with 188 other passengers anticipated our Viking River Cruise on the Idun departing Nuremberg on June 1. The cruise turned into a very expensive and deceptive bus trip through Europe. Unfortunately, the passengers had not done full due diligence prior to arriving to realize that the Danube river was ALREADY closed to river traffic and the ship would NOT be able to depart the canal it was on. The crew professed no prior knowledge of this and each day we had to see what the contingency plan was for the next day. The ship actually departed the canal dock in Nuremberg and sailed a short distance to Redensberg where we then proceeded to bus to either planned destinations or destinations such as Munich that VRC offered to keep everyone busy.

The horrible part was the lack of information by the crew to the passengers and a continued message of optimism that the water levels would lower and we would sail. This was impossible as they did not even crest until after our 'cruise' had ended.

VRC acted irresponsibly in transferring all guest by motor coach ( over 7 hours ) to Bratislava, Slovakia to the Viking Njord which was holed up in a totally flooded commercial shipping slip where passengers had to access the trip through a flooded parking lot walking on railroad ties and on a corrugated tin utility access cover that covered the electrical controls for the gantry crane that ran beside the ships. At 50 we were probably the youngest on the trip and there were many with disabilities that had to either stay on the ship or chance the path. VRC dropped one passengers suitcase in the water and did not even inform them.

They used the Njord as a 'hotel' for us for two nights and bussed us back and forth to Vienna from Bratislava instead of DOING THE RIGHT THING and putting people in a hotel in Vienna instead of saving money this way and wasting even more of our time on busses.

Everyone was empathetic to the situation the crew was in HOWEVER, the cruise that was scheduled to sail the next day from ours gave the passengers the option to go home / full refund or take the 'bus cruise'. VRC should have or fully knew the situation and pushed to get us through the system and out the back door.

VRC offered passengers a 75% cruise credit (time expired in 2015) to people that saved years for this trip and/or will never do another river cruise again. A few communications with VRC in California resulted in a reinforcing letter that they feel they did everything to accommodate and compensate according and that they will not move from this position.

BEWARE OF VIKING RIVER CRUISES. Competitive cruise lines did the right thing and cancelled cruises and/or offered refunds and compensation where VRC weight the options of the impact on its business and made a fiscal decision, not a customer focused decision.

Boat was good. Crew was good. Food was good. If the water was fine, it would have been good however a corporation is judged by how it reacts when things to WRONG and there are hundreds of very disappointed and upset passengers that feel that we were tossed along like hot potatoes, outright lied to and misled by the crew ( even to the point that the transfer to Bratislava was with the 'hope' that we would sail to Budapest form there ( THEY KNEW THE RIVER WAS CLOSED AND RISING ) but did not communicate that to the passengers.

The cost of doing the right thing would have been much less than the loss of business they will encounter from this. Even a partial refund in cash vs a time expired credit would have been the right thing.

Peed off in the North

Viking seems to post these 'two for one' fares yet many people we encountered on our cruise booked only a few months before sailing (us 18 months) and paid exactly the same rate.

In addition, the two for one airfare is a scam. Check the flight costs yourself and you will see that you can easily book round trip on major carriers ( I am talking about YYZ to FRA ) for the 'two for one' cost.

We paid the additional $ 100 'customization' fee for Star Alliance and VRC booked us on a tourist class fare that did not qualify for points

Lesson learned, unless you don't care....book your own airfare.....

VRC is better at MARKETING than they are at customer service......

Unhappy cruiser

Apropos Meredith who was delegated the ugly task of dealing with irate cruisers offered an unfair deal but does not return calls.

Left me a voicemail last Saturday to call to discuss the offer and after three voicemails left to call me back..... No reply.

Make no mistake. VRC has chosen to forgo a few hundred passengers who many saved for years for the June 1st Viking Idun cruise only to offer a partial CREDIT that expires less than a year from today.

They have carefully calculated the cost to their business and made an ugly decision to act in bad faith and put dollars before customers.

Now I need to figure out a way to block out the annoying commercials that are plastered all over our TV that lured us in in the first place.

unhappy cruisers

Dear proppilot,

Even though you have previously been in contact with our Customer Relations team, we ask that you contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we may try to help you with your particular situation. We understand that you are frustrated, and we would like to help clear-up any miscommunications or missed connections between yourself and Customer Relations, but at this point we are unable to reach out to you simply because we aren’t clear of which Viking Idun guest you are.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Kindly,

Viking Cruises

Apropos Meredith who was delegated the ugly task of dealing with irate cruisers offered an unfair deal but does not return calls.

Left me a voicemail last Saturday to call to discuss the offer and after three voicemails left to call me back..... No reply.

Dear proppilot,

Even though you have previously been in contact with our Customer Relations team, we ask that you contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we may try to help you with your particular situation. We understand that you are frustrated, and we would like to help clear-up any miscommunications or missed connections between yourself and Customer Relations, but at this point we are unable to reach out to you simply because we aren’t clear of which Viking Idun guest you are.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Kindly,

Viking Cruises

Helllo, i have forwarded you my direct email thread with Meredith Summers with further comments and copied to her manager Stephanie Maldonado with their confirmed position on this matter.

Todays email with the "Deal du jour" has still the PAY NOW clause. I would hope that viking would be bending over backwards to be more user friendly. Guess they still have a ways to go to match what other companies do.

The pity is that Viking don't do this everywhere, but it feels like where they think the market will stand it they will do it.

The UK adverts, brochures and terms present an entirely different company with no fake '2 for 1' offers, no unreasonable payment terms etc., you'd never know they were part of the same organization.

I guess that European consumer laws are making it harder to do the sort of things that seem allowable in the North American markets.

We were scheduled to sail on the Viking Vienna for the Romantic Danube cruise. We were taken to the ship near Nuremberg. For the next week, we endured a non cruise, since we didn't go anywhere except for one short "sailing". Instead we were herded around on buses for many hours, not allowed to ask questions of our cruise director and generally treated like cattle. Many of the Viking people were rude and refused to help us at all. We were moved after a few days on the ship and made to travel by bus and change hotels often. Now we are being refused any type of refund! We paid for a cruise that we did not get! I would love to hear from others on our "cruise".

for more information contact Traveljune2@yahoogroups.com

Something else I thought about earlier, then promptly forgot ...

The Viking Legend has four Viking customised coaches 'attached' to it ... our Cruise Director told us it was only one of three or four ships to have this.

Another reason probably why Viking preferred to continue with the 'cruise' (that never moved on the water) rather than cancel or abandon it.

We've paid for these Viking customised coaches and drivers to be on call for the Legend, at all times - we're going to damn well use them! :rolleyes:

what a naive comment. they lease the coaches for the whole season so it is a fixed price they pay for their use. Viking does not own these coaches in any shape or form.

Well, I see you are on-line. Yes I was talking to Meridith Summers when you replied. I called her, she did not contact me.

AND, she promised to be back with me by the end of the week.

I waited, no phone call, no email. Just plain NO.

Sorry, that I had to even go to this website, sorry I had to say waht I have said,

I hope Meridith, that you and your family are well, and that your lack of repy is due to Viking and not personal problems,

Sincerely,

Jeanne Q

We were on the Viking Var Budapest to Amsterdam. What a mess. Never have I ever seen such poor management style.

S.

If you were a passenger on any of the Viking cruises on The Danube (or any of the other flooding European rivers) on or around 2 June 2013 - would love to hear from you and your experiences and how Viking are now treating you?

I was a passenger on the Viking Danube Waltz which left Budapest on 2 June 2013, on Viking Legend - we didn't even cruise a single millimetre.

I also know the Viking Bragi was moored next to us in Kormano for several days - I think this was Viking's Grand European Tour. I'm guessing you had as enjoyable cruise as us - just guessing! :p

I'm sure we're not alone.

Our reviews are coming ... they're not pretty!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we were also on this cruise. Just arrived back home in Aus & wonder how Viking is treating you?

We, along with 188 other passengers anticipated our Viking River Cruise on the Idun departing Nuremberg on June 1. The cruise turned into a very expensive and deceptive bus trip through Europe. Unfortunately, the passengers had not done full due diligence prior to arriving to realize that the Danube river was ALREADY closed to river traffic and the ship would NOT be able to depart the canal it was on. The crew professed no prior knowledge of this and each day we had to see what the contingency plan was for the next day. The ship actually departed the canal dock in Nuremberg and sailed a short distance to Redensberg where we then proceeded to bus to either planned destinations or destinations such as Munich that VRC offered to keep everyone busy.

The horrible part was the lack of information by the crew to the passengers and a continued message of optimism that the water levels would lower and we would sail. This was impossible as they did not even crest until after our 'cruise' had ended.

VRC acted irresponsibly in transferring all guest by motor coach ( over 7 hours ) to Bratislava, Slovakia to the Viking Njord which was holed up in a totally flooded commercial shipping slip where passengers had to access the trip through a flooded parking lot walking on railroad ties and on a corrugated tin utility access cover that covered the electrical controls for the gantry crane that ran beside the ships. At 50 we were probably the youngest on the trip and there were many with disabilities that had to either stay on the ship or chance the path. VRC dropped one passengers suitcase in the water and did not even inform them.

They used the Njord as a 'hotel' for us for two nights and bussed us back and forth to Vienna from Bratislava instead of DOING THE RIGHT THING and putting people in a hotel in Vienna instead of saving money this way and wasting even more of our time on busses.

Everyone was empathetic to the situation the crew was in HOWEVER, the cruise that was scheduled to sail the next day from ours gave the passengers the option to go home / full refund or take the 'bus cruise'. VRC should have or fully knew the situation and pushed to get us through the system and out the back door.

VRC offered passengers a 75% cruise credit (time expired in 2015) to people that saved years for this trip and/or will never do another river cruise again. A few communications with VRC in California resulted in a reinforcing letter that they feel they did everything to accommodate and compensate according and that they will not move from this position.

BEWARE OF VIKING RIVER CRUISES. Competitive cruise lines did the right thing and cancelled cruises and/or offered refunds and compensation where VRC weight the options of the impact on its business and made a fiscal decision, not a customer focused decision.

Boat was good. Crew was good. Food was good. If the water was fine, it would have been good however a corporation is judged by how it reacts when things to WRONG and there are hundreds of very disappointed and upset passengers that feel that we were tossed along like hot potatoes, outright lied to and misled by the crew ( even to the point that the transfer to Bratislava was with the 'hope' that we would sail to Budapest form there ( THEY KNEW THE RIVER WAS CLOSED AND RISING ) but did not communicate that to the passengers.

The cost of doing the right thing would have been much less than the loss of business they will encounter from this. Even a partial refund in cash vs a time expired credit would have been the right thing.

Peed off in the North

Having read nearly every post on these boards for the last few weeks, it appears that every cruise line is unethical, immoral, uncaring, has lousy client service and all should be boycotted. People, what has happened over the past couple of weeks took everyone by surprise with the magnitude of the flooding and the lasting damage. The early days around the end of May through all lines into a panic trying to manage the tours that were already in progress, those just starting where their guests were already in transit, and those that were upcoming. In some cases ships were available to use as floating hotels but docked wherever they could get a berth, along with hundreds of other stranded ships. For those folks who are complaining about no privacy or blocked views, hey, that is what one should expect on a river cruise and had you done research before you booked, you would have known that...it is the same with all cruise lines plying the European rivers. Too many ships, not enough berths.

The worst flooding in 500 years has certainly left the cruise lines with tarnished images even though they most likely did their best to look after their passengers comfort and safety during a time when conditions were changing hourly. I am sure they will all be looking at how they could have done things differently. At least give them time to assess these past weeks and provide an opportunity to reconsider if and how they could compensate those guests who were put out the most.

I really like your post. I'm not sure I understand why people feel it's their right to receive a full refund when it's not Viking's fault about the flooding, and frankly I'm tired of reading how people are jumping on the bandwagon.

Insurance ~ did no one get "cancel for any reason" insurance? If not, why should Viking be responsible?

I was on a cruise in Japan when the tsunami and earthquake came. I guess I should have expected at least a partial refund when the ship was unable to make it thru the rest of Japan?

Now don't get me wrong. Had Viking been at fault, I'd say heck yes, refunds should be given. But I didn't see this much bashing on the 3 times Carnival acted irresponsibly and it was their fault!

Felicia

Ozjohnno It is extremely unlikely we would return to Europe, make that a no. The only choices are China & Vietnam, both significantly more expensive than our doomed Danube cruise. Notice you are in Makay, it takes us 36 hours to travel to Europe, must take you 2 days. Then we need a week in each direction to recover.

:mad:

Viking River Cruises : does not do the right thing when things go wron

Peed off in the North

Peed off in the North

Hi propilot

Still getting over the trip. Would like to be be in touch to compare notes.

gungadin3333 at gmail dot com

Archived