Taxis in Vila

Hi there, I'm that someone on this fabulous site can help me.

My daughter is cruising in a few weeks and one of the stops is Vila, can someone who's been there recently tell me how much she can expect to pay for the day for a taxi and be taken around to where she wants to go.

I've organised for her to do a horse ride and they want to go to Cascades and not sure what else but they are 4 young 18yr old girls and I don't want them to be ripped off or taken where they don't want to go as it can be quite intimidating with all those drivers there at the port. If someone could give me some advice. Thank you.

Last trip to Vila was lucky enough to score a great taxi driver. You can contact him directly on the email below (tell him Trevor sent you and you should get him for $150 for the day)I told him what we wanted to see and he planned our day, took us to all the sights, waited at the car to guard our gear whilst we were swimming and took us to some other fantastic places we didn't even know about that were on the way. At the end of the day, dropped us at one end of town, and waited for us at the other end so we could do our duty free shopping. Met us 3/4 of the way back and even helped carry our bottles of grog. Great guy, good English and a safe driver. Air conditioned van and reasonably late model in good condition. His email address is jonassumu@gmail.com

Just had some friends return from a cruise and they also used Jonas. They said he was great as well. Tell him what you want to do and he will get them there.

note: I have no monetary affiliation or interest in this guy, just passing on what I considered to be the best experience I and the other three in my group have ever had in port Vila. So back off "fun police"

last trip to vila was lucky enough to score a great taxi driver. You can contact him directly on the email below (tell him trevor sent you and you should get him for $150 for the day)i told him what we wanted to see and he planned our day, took us to all the sights, waited at the car to guard our gear whilst we were swimming and took us to some other fantastic places we didn't even know about that were on the way. At the end of the day, dropped us at one end of town, and waited for us at the other end so we could do our duty free shopping. Met us 3/4 of the way back and even helped carry our bottles of grog. Great guy, good english and a safe driver. Air conditioned van and reasonably late model in good condition. His email address is jonassumu@gmail.com

just had some friends return from a cruise and they also used jonas. They said he was great as well. Tell him what you want to do and he will get them there.

note: I have no monetary affiliation or interest in this guy, just passing on what i considered to be the best experience i and the other three in my group have ever had in port vila. So back off "fun police"

like :d

Last trip to Vila was lucky enough to score a great taxi driver. You can contact him directly on the email below (tell him Trevor sent you and you should get him for $150 for the day)I told him what we wanted to see and he planned our day, took us to all the sights, waited at the car to guard our gear whilst we were swimming and took us to some other fantastic places we didn't even know about that were on the way. At the end of the day, dropped us at one end of town, and waited for us at the other end so we could do our duty free shopping. Met us 3/4 of the way back and even helped carry our bottles of grog. Great guy, good English and a safe driver. Air conditioned van and reasonably late model in good condition. His email address is jonassumu@gmail.com

Just had some friends return from a cruise and they also used Jonas. They said he was great as well. Tell him what you want to do and he will get them there.

note: I have no monetary affiliation or interest in this guy, just passing on what I considered to be the best experience I and the other three in my group have ever had in port Vila. So back off "fun police"

How big was his Taxi? Im visiting with my family (9 in total) in September

Peter

I don't think you will get a taxi large enough to take 9 plus the driver. We have had 7 passengers in one, but most are either small vans or sedans. :)

Once you are off the seal , the roads are pretty rough as well. You would not want too many people in the vehicle on some of the side roads. :eek:

If you cannot get the guy mentioned above, there will be many many taxis yelling for her attention.

We got a van for $125 for the day.

She should be able to get a taxi car for around $100 but will have to haggle. She just has to keep saying "No, $100 (or $125) and she will get someone!

It is a bit intimidating but fun!

Raina

I feel $100 for the day would be the maximum I would pay. Unless you are prepared to pay a ridiculous price (I mean several hundred dollars) you will have to haggle. Politely and firmly state your price, and if they don't meet it, walk away to the next driver.

Incidentally I have been to Vila many many times so have experience with the taxi drivers there.:)

Thanks for all your help. I've booked the driver that mcspudmack recommended. I just feel a bit nervous about them being taken for a ride (literally). When we first went to Vila the driver that we had took us somewhere completely different to where we wanted to go we ended up in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of guys which I'm assuming were his friends, and he was quite annoyed with us that we insisted that we wanted to be somewhere else. It was quite a scary feeling.

Thanks for all your help. I've booked the driver that mcspudmack recommended. I just feel a bit nervous about them being taken for a ride (literally). When we first went to Vila the driver that we had took us somewhere completely different to where we wanted to go we ended up in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of guys which I'm assuming were his friends, and he was quite annoyed with us that we insisted that we wanted to be somewhere else. It was quite a scary feeling.

where abouts are the girls going to meet the driver at the port its going to very hard to try and find a particular driver amongst all the other drivers

where abouts are the girls going to meet the driver at the port its going to very hard to try and find a particular driver amongst all the other drivers

That is so true. On one visit we tried to meet up with a particular driver, but we never found him.

The driver said that he be at the gate and have a sign with her name on it. Hopefully she'll be able to see him.

just an thought, get the drivers mobile if he has one and when their leaving the ship get the girls to give him a call....might save him waiting around the gate

To IngFam, you won,t have any trouble spotting Jonas, he will be just inside the gate with the sign. Best thing is once the other drivers see you are with him they don't bother trying to harass you any more.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

To IngFam, you won,t have any trouble spotting Jonas, he will be just inside the gate with the sign. Best thing is once the other drivers see you are with him they don't bother trying to harass you any more.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Maybe the people wanting to meet Jonas should have a large piece of paper with his name. I'm sure other drivers will then point them to the right person.

Vila are currently having a trial of a new Taxi arrangement.

The scrum at the gate has moved to the far end of the market place where military/police control them into a semi organised queing system.

Prices seem also to have shot up

It will be interesting to see how that works with the local 'stand-over boss'. A lot of you probably Chrissy (the 80 year old Australian lady who collects funds for the Vila hospital). This gentlemen I mentioned insisted she move away from the gate, well down the line of stalls and to enforce his point he beat her up in such a way that she was hospitalised for quite some time.

It will be interesting to see how much the prices have increased. They are already many times the 'locals' price.

It will be interesting to see how that works with the local 'stand-over boss'. A lot of you probably Chrissy (the 80 year old Australian lady who collects funds for the Vila hospital). This gentlemen I mentioned insisted she move away from the gate, well down the line of stalls and to enforce his point he beat her up in such a way that she was hospitalised for quite some time.

It will be interesting to see how much the prices have increased. They are already many times the 'locals' price.

Hi Aus Traveller :) Where did you get this information about Chrissy? I live in Port Vila and I am shocked to read this here and not have heard a thing about it locally.

Hi Aus Traveller :) Where did you get this information about Chrissy? I live in Port Vila and I am shocked to read this here and not have heard a thing about it locally.

Chrissy told me. She didn't make a fuss locally as she said it would make things worse.:)

Hi there!

I contacted the local tourist information office asking about a suitable half-day tour for my elderly Mother and myself, explaining that she has limited mobility.

A company called Sure Thing Vanuatu Travel came back with a visit to Eton Village and Turtle Bay for a cost of $90AUD each!

I replied that in March I purchased a FULL day tour, including morning tea and lunch with another tour operator and paid $100.

Is someone having a lend of us?

Gae

Gae,

WHen I took Dad in December, we paid about $100 for the day. We just got a tai and asked hi to take us to interesting places. We knew we wanted to fot he markets and the Blue Hole and then we drove around and went to lunch.

It was great and very easy. Dont be afraid to just get a taxi.

Raina

Hi there!

I contacted the local tourist information office asking about a suitable half-day tour for my elderly Mother and myself, explaining that she has limited mobility.

A company called Sure Thing Vanuatu Travel came back with a visit to Eton Village and Turtle Bay for a cost of $90AUD each!

I replied that in March I purchased a FULL day tour, including morning tea and lunch with another tour operator and paid $100.

Is someone having a lend of us?

Gae

Yes. :)

We were there last week and we looked for Chrissy she was no where to be seen

Archived