Alaska weather, better in May or June, is price difference worth it?

postal07

We are trying to get a group together, one section is looking at May 7, 2006 on Norwegian Star, other section June 9 ,2006 on Celebrity Mercury. WOuld like some feedback as to weather conditions at either time and also ship comparisons, i.e. food, entertainment etc. Thanks in advance.

I too agree, early May is too early, look at mid May if you can. These ships are distinctly different. One very casual, the other more formal. I suggest you look at what's outside the ship too? Will the Star be in Glacier Bay??? That would make my decision alone. :) food is better with Celebrity but very good on NCL in my opinion. If you are looking for the better notch then Celebrity is probably the better choice for you.

As you can probably tell, food is a low priority for me and the NCL freestyle dining was just perfect for Alaska. :)

Generally, there is less rain in May and June compared to July and August in Alaska. Though weather is pretty unpredicatable in Alaska.

I have cruised as early on May 9, May 16, May 23 and May 30/May 31st and June 29th (pretty much July cruise). My May and June cruises were much better weather wise than my cruise over July 4th week. My July cruise was my coldest and wettest Alaskan cruise that I have been on.

My favorite dates to cruise Alaska is the last week in May/first week in June.

This past year, it was 70s the first part of May and I got sunburned on my May 16th cruise.

=========

In Alaska - I wouldn't pick a ship with fixed dining times. It is too inconvenient in Alaska since you often want to be on deck or stay in port late.

Based on all of the feedback from those who have sailed late May/early June we chose the Island Princess 5/29/06 sailing.

Thanks Coral for recommending that I check out the Coral and Island. ;) The balcony cabins are priced hundreds less than the Diamond/Sapphire which made them very affordable :D

Linda

Based on all of the feedback from those who have sailed late May/early June we chose the Island Princess 5/29/06 sailing.

Thanks Coral for recommending that I check out the Coral and Island. ;) The balcony cabins are priced hundreds less than the Diamond/Sapphire which made them very affordable :D

Linda

A problem however with a one way sailing in May is if you are looking at Denali Park, Best is for an arrival after June 1 so the roads are open to at least Fish Creek. Mid May trips are way short not even worth going on with my priorities. :) Just a factor to consider.

I find some people's posts on this board are often inaccurate. They make their opinions sound like facts.

We mostly travel to Alaska in May and have had gorgeous weather. We have gone to Denali in May and had no problems taking the long tours into the park. We normally go towards the end of May and have never had a problem.

We've taken 2 cruises to Alaska, both in May. The May 22 cruise was cold; the May 14th cruise was warm (except in Whittier). We had mostly sunny days (or at least no rain) both times. I like May because of the snow and ice still on the mountains. It is beautiful. I can see green mountains anytime but we don't have that much snow in Virginia.

>>I find some people's posts on this board are often inaccurate. They make their opinions sound like facts.<<

I'm sure they are all facts. The problem is that facts based on one trip can be pretty misleading, especially when the subject is weather.

Murray

I find some people's posts on this board are often inaccurate. They make their opinions sound like facts.

We mostly travel to Alaska in May and have had gorgeous weather. We have gone to Denali in May and had no problems taking the long tours into the park. We normally go towards the end of May and have never had a problem.

For clairfication the shuttle isn't even RUNNING before June 1 to Fish Creek. The TOUR buses are not what I am referring to since the most distance usually is 53 miles, and my reference was MID May- which will not get any distance into the Park. Fish Creek is mile 63. These are facts that can be verified directly from the Park web site. http://www.nps.gov/dena

Just for clarification there are many opinions on that board that are not "facts" and not misleading.. jsut one person's opinion.. which is often invaluable in planning..

Late May/Early June has been "perfect" six times in a row so far as weather so with next group will be hoping for lucky "sevens":)

Archived