Venice and Cruise Ships

Sunviking

Several weeks ago someone had posted a link to an article about a protest in Venice re: cruise ships passing through the lagoon and past St. Mark's. Hundreds of little boats attempted to block the Giudecca Canal. While not successful, it did evidently give some momentum to the movement to make changes. According to an article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal, cruise ship operators and government officials have agreed to meet with a goal of presenting alternative plans to the government in Rome by July 25th. Ships under 40,000 tons wouldn't be included. Clearly even if a plan is adopted it will take years to come to fruition, but I thought those of us who love sailing to/from Venice might be interested. I don't know if there's a link to the article online.

Several weeks ago someone had posted a link to an article about a protest in Venice re: cruise ships passing through the lagoon and past St. Mark's. Hundreds of little boats attempted to block the Giudecca Canal. While not successful, it did evidently give some momentum to the movement to make changes. According to an article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal, cruise ship operators and government officials have agreed to meet with a goal of presenting alternative plans to the government in Rome by July 25th. Ships under 40,000 tons wouldn't be included. Clearly even if a plan is adopted it will take years to come to fruition, but I thought those of us who love sailing to/from Venice might be interested. I don't know if there's a link to the article online.

Hi Ann,

I did a google search for Venice cruise ship protest and came up with a ton of links. Hope they can reach a compromise. That trip down the canal was one of the highlights of our T/A's from Venice.

While sailing down the canal in the ship last October was great. I rather Venice be preserved. And if the cruise ships are banned from going down the canal so be it.

I agree. In fact, if you happen to be in Venice on a day when there are no ships in port (rare), and then when there are, it takes on a very different feeling.

At night after the day-tripper land based tourists leave Venice it's also very different. We have stayed the last few visits in a hotel with a view of the Grand Canal very close to the Rialto Bridge (the Al Ponte Antico). In the late afternoon the vaporetti leaving are full of people going back to the mainland after a day visiting. When we've visited Piazza San Marco and walked the little calles in the evening we've seen a side of Venice one doesn't see when the masses of tourists are there. As many of the Princess cruises include an overnight in Venice, I highly recommend going ashore and walking around and eating in Venice one evening. It's such a wonderful place that it's worth doing it. While prices can be expensive there, If you walk around there are many little restaurants with reasonable prices and delicious food. Most have their menus posted outside so you can make choices. We have found some restaurants we loved with incredible food doing just that.

Sunviking,

That almost sounds like Mackinac Island during the summer. After the day-trippers leave, you can hear the sound of the horses clip-clopping down the streets, and it is so quiet.

I read many novels that are "based" in Venice and they all complain about the cruise ships. Think of a small Caribbean island (St. Marten/St. Martin) inundated by four or five large cruise ships.

Hopefully, they can reach a compromise.

Sunviking,

That almost sounds like Mackinac Island during the summer. After the day-trippers leave, you can hear the sound of the horses clip-clopping down the streets, and it is so quiet.

I read many novels that are "based" in Venice and they all complain about the cruise ships. Think of a small Caribbean island (St. Marten/St. Martin) inundated by four or five large cruise ships.

Hopefully, they can reach a compromise.

I hope they can reach one as well. Venice is a magical place and one can only hope that its beauty can be preserved. For anyone cruising from or to Venice I highly recommend spending at least one night there in a hotel. Watching the early morning traffic on the Grand Canal as boats bring everything from wine and water to produce and linens is eye-opening as we realized that everything has to be ferried in - part of the reason everything is so expensive I'm guessing. A stay there allows for a visit to the Rialto Market which is a feast for the senses. I guess I'm just in love with Venice!

Archived