Hello Again - I'm Back from Cruising

I believe you can order something different to what is on the menu but was not aware you had to pre-order it. I could always find something I liked from the menu in fact sometimes there was too much to choose from. On my last day our favourite waiter insisted I had something different for breakfast so I had to order an omelette just to keep him happy! :D:)

This was on P&O Jakanne so not sure that it would be the case on thomson. But yes they are generally very good on Thomson if there really isn't anything you fancy on the menu.

I think this situation though was just a very determined ploy by the person concerned to ensure she had steak everyday. There were a few days when roast beef, a mixed grill or steak were on the menu when she settled for the menu options - but it was clear that she wanted beef every night - and to be certain she asked for the Head Waiter to bring the next day's menu and pre-ordered it the day before!

Like you I can always find something I really like - they usually do a good range of meat/fish dishes which are very good. I suppose if I wanted a big steak I would pay the extra but would prefer to pay a bit more still and have the speciality menu and more particularly - the ambience of the Bistro/Mistrals/the Grill - whatever. But horses for courses - I just thought this lady was being rather demanding and picky given that it wasn't a dietary issue.

P.S. Oh and I forgot to say she asked for prawn cocktial most nights too! :) I think part of cruising is having things to eat you wouldn't normally - I really enjoy trying something new.

This was on P&O Jakanne so not sure that it would be the case on thomson. But yes they are generally very good on Thomson if there really isn't anything you fancy on the menu.

I think this situation though was just a very determined ploy by the person concerned to ensure she had steak everyday. There were a few days when roast beef, a mixed grill or steak were on the menu when she settled for the menu options - but it was clear that she wanted beef every night - and to be certain she asked for the Head Waiter to bring the next day's menu and pre-ordered it the day before!

Like you I can always find something I really like - they usually do a good range of meat/fish dishes which are very good. I suppose if I wanted a big steak I would pay the extra but would prefer to pay a bit more still and have the speciality menu and more particularly - the ambience of the Bistro/Mistrals/the Grill - whatever. But horses for courses - I just thought this lady was being rather demanding and picky given that it wasn't a dietary issue.

P.S. Oh and I forgot to say she asked for prawn cocktial most nights too! :) I think part of cruising is having things to eat you wouldn't normally - I really enjoy trying something new.

I'm with you, Kruzseeka, I like trying something different too even if it turns out not to my liking, at least I have tried it.

I've been going back looking at your reviews of the Dream as 4 of us ladies (yes one more has joined us) are looking for a Caribbean cruise next Jan, Feb or March and up to now the Dream seems to be the only ship that we can join with direct flights from Newcastle. Not sure whether to book now as the prices are getting higher and the standard inside cabins have all gone or wait till nearer the time and hope for a last minute deal. It's a difficult balancing act when we are looking for a bargain. :rolleyes:

I bet she had Black Forest Gateau every night as well:D

:D No, she seemed a little more open minded about desserts but the waiter had her exact cheese and biscuits order waiting each night (number and type of biscuit, cheese + fig!):rolleyes:

I'm with you, Kruzseeka, I like trying something different too even if it turns out not to my liking, at least I have tried it.

I've been going back looking at your reviews of the Dream as 4 of us ladies (yes one more has joined us) are looking for a Caribbean cruise next Jan, Feb or March and up to now the Dream seems to be the only ship that we can join with direct flights from Newcastle. Not sure whether to book now as the prices are getting higher and the standard inside cabins have all gone or wait till nearer the time and hope for a last minute deal. It's a difficult balancing act when we are looking for a bargain.

It's a puzzle isn't it Jakanne? Prices seem very high at the moment but who knows what's best to do? It's true to say we had a good reduction for the Caribbean one year close to departure but since then I've been caught out when prices dropped a bit in the late autumn and since they hadn't come down as far as I thought they would - we left it then then started going up again - by quite a lot. In fact we missed out altogether when the flight we wanted got booked up too! We had to book for about 6 weeks later and by then I was so 'done' having missed out on our anticipated cruise that we just coughed up and paid the going rate which was more than it had been! :rolleyes:

So I can't advise you really - I'm keen to go back to the Caribbean too this year and I'm wrestling with exactly the same problem. All I can say is that we've had fab cruises in the Caribbean so I feel sure you will enjoy the destinations, love the unique atmosphere of the Caribbean - and of course with your travelling companions - you can't fail! :D;)

So, here’s my review for Thomson Dream. If you’ve read my recent posts on the forum then you’d know that recently I’ve been rather disappointed with Thomson regarding certain changes (and lack of in other areas), but we decided to give Thomson Dream another go. Before I start, I must say that we did have a great cruise and holiday, and there are a lot of positives and great points to mention. However, there are also some negatives, more so than on previous cruises with Thomson. But, on the whole, the positives points do outweigh the negatives. I haven’t really done a review on any of the ports, as we mainly just did our own thing in each, so I’ve mostly just concentrated on the ship.

FLIGHT, TRANSFER & CHECK-IN

Flight with Thomson Airways was on time and on one of their brand new Boeing 737-800 aircraft with the ‘Sky Interior’. Seat pitch was good, excellent and efficient cabin crew, and the food menu has improved on last year, which was mainly just a menu of grease. Oddly, for the past few years, it has been the flight end of things that has decreased in quality, with the cruise having no problems. But it seems to be other way around now. With the new aircraft, the flight experience has improved significantly, although the return of IFE I think is needed for any flight over three hours. Transfer from Palma de Mallorca airport was quick with no problems, and check-in at the port was also efficient. We were told on the coach when we arrived at the port that the ship the previous week had had cases of Norovirus on board, and that it had been thoroughly cleaned that day. I knew that at the beginning of the season, there were a lot of cases of Norovirus on board (or what they were calling Norovirus anyway), but it did seem to have got better as the weeks went on, so whether it had got worse again the previous week? Anyway, more on Norovirus later. The lifeboat drill was then done at 9 pm, but there was no mention of it previously, apart from being in the Cruise News and an announcement 15 minutes before.

THE ‘PLATINUM’ UPGRADE

Since being on Thomson Dream it has had its ‘Platinum’ upgrade. Now, I already knew not to expect much and that really it was just a much needed refurb. Here are my observations of the refurbishment:

- Cabins: new carpet, flat screen TV, re-upholstered sofa, new bedding, new cushions and throws, tea and coffee making facilities. Bedding is a lot nicer and the carpet much better. Although, the furniture needs replacing! Dents in it everywhere, bits with paper wedged between it to stop it rattling. Still the same dated lighting. Certainly not Platinum standard for sure. The bathroom was okay, but if they said they were refurbishing the cabins, the bathrooms should have been done. And when will they get rid of those shower curtains and put a proper shower screen in!

- Medusa: new carpet, new seating. Looks nice, but it wasn’t terrible really before. I think the money could have been spent elsewhere and better if finances were limited for the refit. And yes, definitely less seating. Trying to find somewhere to sit 15 minutes before something was beginning was virtually impossible. Why seating has been taken out I really don’t know?

- Orion Restaurant: new carpets and re-upholstered chairs. To be honest, hardly any change noticeable here.

- Lido Restaurant: new seating, new carpet. Still needs a complete redesign. Having starters and main courses together on the same side just causes huge queues. I know it would take a bit of money to do, but I think the space is there, it just needs to have some sort of lines on both sides of the restaurant, and more separate stations.

- The Grill: new chairs and tables, new carpet. Nice area, but Sirens is still the same. The tables and chairs here need updating for sure (I’d have done this instead of the work on the Medusa). They just look tatty and old, especially when comparing the new ones in The Grill. Surely they could have spent a little more and added the chairs and tables in The Grill for the whole of Sirens?

- Lido Deck: canopy added, upgraded serving area, new seating. Particularly liked the new wicker chairs, more of these please!

- Spa: Has been refurbished and does look better.

- Throughout the ship: new carpets in most areas, which were definitely needed after all the plumbing problems that had led to terrible stains and smells. No more smells in the corridor so this must have been coming from the old carpets in the past. Although why they chose a carpet design that looked like something out of an airport in the 1980s I don’t know? I’m guessing it was cheap as no one else wanted!

What still needs to be done:

- Ocean Bar could do with updating and brightening up.

- The back of Deck 8 is still hardly being used. What the ship needs is a Horizon style bar (but I understand this would mean a lot of structural work), but it also needs a nice coffee lounge like Blake’s was on Destiny. The Water’s Edge would be perfect for this, and it could then have a nice outside area with the wicker sofas leading onto the back area of Deck 8.

- Siren’s needs updating.

- The pool deck on Siren’s does still look a bit tatty. The chairs that are now on the Lido Deck would be nice for up here also.

- The metal sun loungers HAVE to go. I can’t believe they’re still using these after inheriting them from Costa! They look awful, are in a bad condition and are very uncomfortable.

- Get rid of the Sports Deck and change it into a sunbathing area, maybe an area with individual pods like TUI Cruises have:

http://tuicruises.com/mein-schiff-2/sonnenbereiche/

Would be much better use of the space as I never saw anybody using the Sports Deck at all.

So, what the Platinum refurbishment worth mentioning? A definite no. It was just a much needed refurbishment in areas that really needed it. If it had never been mentioned, I don’t think I would have even noticed it. Even a normal refurbishment by other cruise lines would have gone a lot further than Thomson did. Surely, if they say they’re refurbishing to a Platinum standard, all bars, restaurants and bathrooms in cabins should have been refurbished! I did notice that when booking your cruise, the word ‘Platinum’ is mentioned a lot, from the brochures, information online etc., but when you’re on board, there’s hardly any mention of it at all. Actually, I don’t think I saw it mentioned once! Makes you wonder if it is just a thing to make you book and then not mention it when you’re on board as they know customers would be disappointed and walking around going Platinum! What Platinum upgrade!?!?

ENTERTAINMENT

The Show Team really did try hard, but they definitely were not the best that we’d seen, certainly not as good as the ones we’ve seen for the past couple of years. There are some good vocalists though; Charlotte in particular has a fantastic voice. The shows were a bit mixed really. A lot more of the Concerto-style shows than before. Less big production shows, with less costume changes, background scenery etc. Another cost-cutting practice? Perhaps to tie in more with the entertainment on Majesty? The cruise director, Paul Fisher, was very good.

SERVICE

The crew were there usually friendly self, and were, as expected, fantastic as usual, cabin stewards and waiter especially. However, there has definitely been cost-cutting when it comes to bar service. It takes so loooooooooooong to get a drink now. And it isn’t the staffs fault. They are going as quick as they can, but they simply don’t have enough staff to take orders and then make the drinks behind the bar. It wasn’t unusual to wait for about 20 minutes from sitting down at a bar to eventually getting your drink. Medusa, Lido Restaurant and Broadway Show Lounge were particularly bad, and passengers were starting to get rather irate with it. There definitely seems to have been staff cuts, something that I think I read people have noticed on Celebration too. In all areas to cost-cut, I think this is one that definitely SHOULDN’T be done. The crew are the biggest asset to Thomson, and people will start to get the wrong impression that the service they provide isn’t good because of the length of time it takes to get anything. Get more staff Thomson! Cost-cutting in this area is criminal!

DRINKS PACKAGE

The drinks package as we all know has become a lot more limited. Ordering by the glass instead of a can is stupid. Also, drinks really varied between bars and different nights. Some very strong, some very weak, some cocktails tasted extremely different each time. Also, no bar menus at all! More on this later.

You can now purchase the drinks package on the ship, priced at £225 per person. Also, they’ve now got a wine package. You get five specially selected wines for £59.80. Clearly, Thomson has listened here as this was something that was brought up in the Q&A with Ellacott and how it was only available on Spirit and Majesty.

FOOD

Ate in Sirens for breakfast, Lido/Sirens for lunch and then Orion in the evening. I have to say, food quality has seriously decreased. Most of it was very bland, not as much choice as before. It was all rather tasteless. I know the food on Thomson has never exactly been gourmet, but it has definitely become poorer. You could tell that they were trying to use the cheapest ingredients possible. Some serious cost-cutting has clearly been done here. I think the food was definitely the worst we’ve ever had on a cruise. Breakfast was marginally better, but lunch and dinner we found were poor. Also, I did notice the dress code has got rather relaxed. Saw some shorts and sandals in the Orion during the evening a few times, and it seems that smart casual has gone now to just casual. Don’t mean to sound snobbish, but it did seem that the clientele had gone slightly down market than previous years. I know that sounds awful, but it was definitely noticeable. Don’t mean it in a horrible way, just a slight observation, especially regarding the dress code.

NOROVIRUS

We were told when we got to the ship that there had been a Norovirus outbreak again the week before. As a result, pools, Jacuzzi’s, library and gym were closed during the cruise. Pools did re-open halfway through (not sure about the others), but the Jacuzzi’s were definitely closed for the whole week. Staff served you in the Lido and Sirens, and there were no bar menu’s so as not to spread any infection, which meant trying to work out what had a supplement and what didn’t was rather tricky. We didn’t see any evidence as such of anyone being ill during the week, although we did see the dreaded carpet in front of the cabin doors, indicating that someone in the cabin was sick so not to enter it. I think it is definitely improving, but probably not at the speed as it should be.

ANOTHER CHAOTIC TENDERING

Bad tendering seems to be all the range this year doesn’t it! Portimao from the re-positioning cruise, Scarey Mary said that the Black Sea tendering was badly organised and here is another one to add to the list, Saint Raphael. We were supposed to be docking here, but I think it was Berwyn that said they couldn’t because of the weather so went to Villefranche instead. I think this might have been the first time then that they have been to Saint Raphael? When booking it wasn’t down as a tender port, and online it still says it isn’t. Returning to the ship was a bit chaotic. Excursions all arrived back to the ship at the same time, so there was an extremely long queue for the tenders. The last tender should have been at 15:15, as we were sailing at 16:00, but that was never going to happen, the queue was that long. In the end, the ship left over and hour and a half late, and had to seriously speed up to get to Barcelona in time. Organisation was terrible, as surely they knew this was going to happen. The problem with Saint Raphael is the tender boats go into a little marina area, which means that only one can go into it and out at a time, causing long delays. I see they’re looking at going here again next year. Saint Raphael is okay, but certainly no Villefranche. I have a funny feeling that if the tendering situation continues, Saint Raphael maybe dropped in favour of tendering from Villefranche where they can go to and back to the ship more frequently, or go and dock in Toulon instead. Will see what happens with this one. Be interesting to hear of anyone who goes to Saint Raphael next regarding if it has improved at all.

MORE WAYS TO GET MORE MONEY OFF YOU

Yep, the VIP tables are true. For £10, the booths downstairs in the centre of the Broadway Show Lounge are now reserved. For the £10, you get a glass of champagne and a table cloth (ooh the luxury!), and they are roped off, with a rope like those you get that separate lines at an airport check-in. In my opinion, a blatant way to make more money out of you. Already it can be difficult to find a decent seat in the show lounge that isn’t obstructed by a pillar or someone’s head, and now they’re charging for good seats.

Another new thing is ‘Steak Under the Stars’. Costs £13.95, and you sit outside on Sirens deck. Didn’t try it so don’t know how good it was, but if you’re on Sirens deck, you can’t really see the sea properly can you, just through the windows on the side. So your view is really the roped off Jacuzzi’s. Don’t know how popular it was, but perhaps someone who has tried it can add more information on this one.

ALCOHOL POLICY

In the Cruise News and when you get on the ship, it still states that only the alcohol that staffs sell you on board can be drunk. I didn’t see anyone having there’s confiscated, so I don’t know how strict they’re being now with this rule, but it would seem if they want to enforce it more strictly, they could do.

So, overall did we have a good time? Yes we did. I know I’ve mentioned mainly negatives on here, but that’s just highlighting the difference between now and previous years. The staff were still very friendly and definitely the best out there, ports were very good (can never get bored of Rome!), entertainment was on the whole enjoyable, and I do still love cruising, and Thomson do still do many things right. And the atmosphere and other passengers on board still make the cruise (something I did see Kruzseeka you mentioned was slightly lacking with P&O). Will I be going with them again? This is more difficult to answer. For the full price, definitely not! Two years ago, we would look at booking in advance and would pay the full fare with the free AI, but I never would again. The cost-cutting has resulted in you paying a higher price for a lower level of overall service and quality level of cruise. However, if the price decreased, then yes, I would still consider Thomson, but I’m definitely looking at P&O or Celebrity for the next cruise. Thomson has made too many cost-cutting measures and, with the disappointing Platinum upgrade, they need to move with the times more as they are going to get left behind.

If you are about to join Thomson Dream, then don’t worry about my negative points too much, as I’m sure you will still have an excellent holiday! There are many positives you can say about Thomson Cruises, but just keep in mind the negatives to put on the questionnaire to make sure that something is done about them.

Great review Sailaway and fairly obvious you read mines first before posting ;) rotfl.gif

Apart from a couple of minor points eg We thought the food had improved from previous years theres not much else I disagree with.

A great review and as Soda Fountain says, new to cruising would think this is a normal part of the weeks cruise. Himself may well decide after a week to pay for a steak... he starts to dribble at the thought of a steak. I'll report to you all if he does. I am not going to mention it to him before. Paying for a seat to see the show is unreasonable however when we sailed last time on the Destiny the prime seating in a booth in front of the stage had been reserved on a few of the nights. We think it was for family members of the crew. So it will be no different. The pods look fantastic from the other cruise now that would be perfect but how many towel hogging people would snap them up at eight in the morning? I am so looking forward to my holiday and other than the sickness bugs the negative's have not put me off.

I've been going back looking at your reviews of the Dream as 4 of us ladies (yes one more has joined us) are looking for a Caribbean cruise next Jan, Feb or March and up to now the Dream seems to be the only ship that we can join with direct flights from Newcastle. Not sure whether to book now as the prices are getting higher and the standard inside cabins have all gone or wait till nearer the time and hope for a last minute deal. It's a difficult balancing act when we are looking for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Jakanne really sorry if i'm confused or something could be having a bad day..but where would you fly from to the Caribbean as I had a look and can see med flights only to Dream from Newcastle?

At the end of the day, you can still watch the show, without paying. People have long moaned about not being able to get in to watch shows, now you can, at a price, but you can guarantee a good seat. I bet if they did this from the start, no one would bat en eyelid, as you would accept it as standard.

Remember, you can't please everyone, and we are all different, paying a little extra during your holiday to enjoy yourself is nothing new, after all, some go on Thomson trips, others do it DIY, either to have freedom or to save money, but the choice is there, as it is with the show longe, fight for a seat for free, or pay a little more for a guaranteed seat.

Agreed they do get to see the show for nothing and if they do like we do... get in early you can get a good seat .

It's also fair to say cuts to the AI (which i do not use ) or cans of drinks replaced by a glass and lots of other things

they would have not batted an eye lid either .

Not sure but have they not always charged for a "Chosen by you " cabin ? You see plenty people moaning that other ships don't charge .

(They do ..like safes etc , it's hidden in the price )

At the end of the day Thomson are going to make money ,that is their job. If we don't like it then we should choose

other ships if we think we would get better value .

People hate change if it's going to cost them and will have a moan but most will keep coming back unless as i say they feel the value

has gone out of the cruise .

Jakanne really sorry if i'm confused or something could be having a bad day..but where would you fly from to the Caribbean as I had a look and can see med flights only to Dream from Newcastle?

There are only 3 flights from Newcastle to the Dream for the Caribbean, one 12 Jan, 23 Feb and 16 March 2014. There is one flight from Doncaster/Sheffield so I suspect that other local airports may offer the odd flight, whereas the major airports will have them every week.

Due to the weather at that time of year, we would prefer to travel from a nearby airport although Manchester would be an option as we could get a train right into Man airport.

:D No, she seemed a little more open minded about desserts but the waiter had her exact cheese and biscuits order waiting each night (number and type of biscuit, cheese + fig!):rolleyes:

My husband asked if they had blue cheese one night and every night after they brought him blue cheese. He was happy with that.

It's a puzzle isn't it Jakanne? Prices seem very high at the moment but who knows what's best to do? It's true to say we had a good reduction for the Caribbean one year close to departure but since then I've been caught out when prices dropped a bit in the late autumn and since they hadn't come down as far as I thought they would - we left it then then started going up again - by quite a lot. In fact we missed out altogether when the flight we wanted got booked up too! We had to book for about 6 weeks later and by then I was so 'done' having missed out on our anticipated cruise that we just coughed up and paid the going rate which was more than it had been! :rolleyes:

So I can't advise you really - I'm keen to go back to the Caribbean too this year and I'm wrestling with exactly the same problem. All I can say is that we've had fab cruises in the Caribbean so I feel sure you will enjoy the destinations, love the unique atmosphere of the Caribbean - and of course with your travelling companions - you can't fail! :D;)

This is probably going to be one of those "holidays of a lifetime" (I've had one or two but they still come on coming) so we do not want to be disappointed by "missing the boat" (sorry). I guess by the end of this week we will have got enough information regarding other cruise lines, prices and air travel to make a decision about which to go with and then just book and be happy with the price. At least with Thomson you know what it is going to cost and there are no hidden costs....unless of course we fancy a front seat booth, a table cloth and a glass of sparkling wine one night!!. :D

Now heard that if you want a drinks coaster with your wine, beer whatever

5p will be added to your bill (if on AI 1p) smiles from staff may also be charged :eek:(but I don't think that will happen :cool:)

Oh what fun us peeps on this forum have:D

ps chocs on bed at night 20p ,turn down 50p. towel displays.. swans 30p

monkeys 20p (extra with sunglasses) elephants .. starting at 1.50 (depending on ear size)

Stevie:)

No still can't find Thomson flights from Newcastle to Barbados on any of those dates :confused:

I just panicked there!! :eek: then realised you need to tick 14 to 20 days because perhaps they are only doing 2 week cruises. I did not check that though. Must be the correct date and must tick Newcastle as well.

Now heard that if you want a drinks coaster with your wine, beer whatever

5p will be added to your bill (if on AI 1p) smiles from staff may also be charged :eek:(but I don't think that will happen )

Oh what fun us peeps on this forum have:D

ps chocs on bed at night 20p ,turn down 50p. towel displays.. swans 30p

monkeys 20p (extra with sunglasses) elephants .. starting at 1.50 (depending on ear size)

Stevie:)

Stevie...........STOP! You're giving them too many ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

but at least you're giving us a good laugh! ;)

DH has just suggested sunbed reservation!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: OMG! That would cause a rumpus!

I bet she had Black Forest Gateau every night as well:D

Very 1970's 1980's. How about avocado's with prawns. I remember thinking that was the height of sophistication and prepared it as a starter for our first dinner party in 1983. And yes Black Forest Gateau for pudding. Oh those were the days my friends and now I feel a song coming along. :D

I haven't done a cruise to the Caribbean islands so looking forward to it too but it's just a week for us, only been to a hotel at Cancun :)

Would love to go for 2 weeks but have to factor in heart condition insurance for hubby (expensive for 1 week) also kennels for 2 dogs expensive too (my own fault for having them - they're rescued dogs)

Hi I quite fancy Caribbean next February hubby had a heart attack 11 years ago and we have it covered on the annual European insurance but not sure if they would cover him worldwide did you get the insurance for. The trip only. We have done mexico in the past but did not declare it that was very foolish and I wouldn't risk it again.

Hi I quite fancy Caribbean next February hubby had a heart attack 11 years ago and we have it covered on the annual European insurance but not sure if they would cover him worldwide did you get the insurance for. The trip only. We have done mexico in the past but did not declare it that was very foolish and I wouldn't risk it again.

Hi infoqueen

Have been given a few Ins. quotes last week all worldwide for a single trip to Caribbean, expecting to settle for one tomorrow, probably Free Spirit.. need to get it off my mind.

Archived