US Customs at the Quebec airport?

Candia

You must be a US citizen to work for US CBP, including as passport control (immigration) and customs, whether it be in the US or one of the US CBP locations elsewhere. In addition to Canada and a few Caribbean locations, US BCP has posts in Dublin and Shannon, in Ireland. There are all US citizens that are placed on duty at these other locations, and live there for a certain amount of time (I am not sure what that is, I apologize). But you will not meet a Canadian citizen working the US immigration checks in Toronto, or an Irish citizen working the US immigration checks in Dublin.

You are quite correct about that, I was doing some research on this a few weeks ago and while I can no longer find the information link, as I recall, CBP officers sign a 3 year contract to serve out of the US and it may be renewed once. During their contract they are paid in USD and receive all of the benefits they would normally receive in the US. In addition they are paid a living out allowance and they and their dependents receive full diplomatic immunity. Here is some information re the background of pre-clearance abroad.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/contacts/preclearance/preclearance_factsheet.ctt/preclearance_factsheet.pdf

Thanks to all for the comments. Now I need to call HA and the airline to get specifics information on this.

Yes I have gone though US Customs in several foreing cities, Vancover, Acapulco, Bahamas etch. and it was very easy.

John

Thanks to all for the comments. Now I need to call HA and the airline to get specifics information on this.

Yes I have gone though US Customs in several foreing cities, Vancover, Acapulco, Bahamas etch. and it was very easy.

John

When did US CBP have pre-clearance in Mexico? I am not familiar with this. I am pretty sure that today, aside from Canada, it's 2x in Ireland, 2x in Bahamas, Aruba and Bermuda. 1x United Arab Emirates is on the way, I believe.

The A318s BA operate are capable of carrying enough fuel to fly London-JFK in either direction, they're just not able to do so out of the very short runway at LCY.

going east is the shorter route. the previaling winds are west to east and the earth turns so that shortens it too....

going east is the shorter route. the previaling winds are west to east and the earth turns so that shortens it too....

It's really the winds above anything else.

But in this aspect, the runway at LCY is a big issue.

You are quite correct about that, I was doing some research on this a few weeks ago and while I can no longer find the information link, as I recall, CBP officers sign a 3 year contract to serve out of the US and it may be renewed once. During their contract they are paid in USD and receive all of the benefits they would normally receive in the US. In addition they are paid a living out allowance and they and their dependents receive full diplomatic immunity. Here is some information re the background of pre-clearance abroad.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/contacts/preclearance/preclearance_factsheet.ctt/preclearance_factsheet.pdf

Hmmm. 'Nice Work if You Can Get It';)

I would imagine it takes a lot of seniority to get a 'plum' assignment in Bermuda....Let's see, live on the expense account in that island paradise, bank your salary.....does it get any better than that?:)

Hmmm. 'Nice Work if You Can Get It';)

I would imagine it takes a lot of seniority to get a 'plum' assignment in Bermuda....Let's see, live on the expense account in that island paradise, bank your salary.....does it get any better than that?:)

Great thought, 6 years in the Caribbean :) but I don't think it was quite expense account living. I read it more to mean they were given an allowance to compensate them for any increase in the cost of living and the fact that they maybe maintaining a home in the US while abroad.

Great thought, 6 years in the Caribbean :) but I don't think it was quite expense account living. I read it more to mean they were given an allowance to compensate them for any increase in the cost of living and the fact that they maybe maintaining a home in the US while abroad.

You are exactly correct, it really is not like you have an open tab that you just put all your expenses on. Two of the most common methods of compensation were either a housing allowance or a added differential tacked on to your salary. It truly was amazing how the rents would magically be exactly tailored to fit whatever grade you happened to be. Make no mistake, sometimes an enterprising individual could finesse the situation to their benefit, but most of the times it was a wash or worse.

Sometimes the assignment was not a garden spot. Had a friend who was a US Immigration Officer and he spent two years in Havana (as in Cuba ) working. Not quite a garden spot but he was fascinated with the assignment. Just to clear up, this wasn't pre-Fidel, it was in the late 90s. All in all it is a great way to really get to know different places, but there are always some trade offs.

<snip>

Sometimes the assignment was not a garden spot. Had a friend who was a US Immigration Officer and he spent two years in Havana (as in Cuba ) working. Not quite a garden spot but he was fascinated with the assignment. Just to clear up, this wasn't pre-Fidel, it was in the late 90s. All in all it is a great way to really get to know different places, but there are always some trade offs.

I find it interesting Cuba permits U.S. Immigration Officers to live and work in Havana pre-clearing people traveling to U.S. I would not have necessarily thought they would be welcomed. Goes to show what I know..... or more accurately, don't know. :D

I find it interesting Cuba permits U.S. Immigration Officers to live and work in Havana pre-clearing people traveling to U.S. I would not have necessarily thought they would be welcomed. Goes to show what I know..... or more accurately, don't know. :D

I don't know if they did it on an ongoing basis or even if it's still going on. The fellow I referenced work with Cubans that had been cleared to emigrate to the US, he wasn't stationed at the airport clearing random passengers who were traveling to the US. Mostly they were people who had family already in the US who left on charters which were direct flights. It's surprising at what can get done when it is under the radar.

I don't know if they did it on an ongoing basis or even if it's still going on. The fellow I referenced work with Cubans that had been cleared to emigrate to the US, he wasn't stationed at the airport clearing random passengers who were traveling to the US. Mostly they were people who had family already in the US who left on charters which were direct flights. It's surprising at what can get done when it is under the radar.

I personally am not familiar with any US CBP staff working in Cuba. There are plenty of flights between Cuba and the US, but I was under the impression that everyone cleared US immigration upon arrival in the US (be it MIA, FLL, TPA, JFK, whatever). I understand that's slightly different from what you are saying the person did, but I do want to make that clear.

I personally am not familiar with any US CBP staff working in Cuba. There are plenty of flights between Cuba and the US, but I was under the impression that everyone cleared US immigration upon arrival in the US (be it MIA, FLL, TPA, JFK, whatever). I understand that's slightly different from what you are saying the person did, but I do want to make that clear.

This was 15 or so years ago, all before the days of CBP, he was an Immigration Inspector doing background checks and otherwise vetting Cuban nationals who had been given permission to leave Cuba. When they boarded their plane they had all the necessary docs to be admitted to the US. I'm sure they went through Customs and Immigration as per usual when they arrived at their port of entry. He worked at it for around 2 years, no idea if it continued or not.

Archived