Viking: the Good, the Bad and the Very Ugly

phoebecat

Can one of you explain me please the idea/benefits of hitting 50,000 messages? Free gifts from cruisecritic :) or what is behind this? I am just curious.

When and if I ever get to 50,000 posts I will know. If I live that long! I think it's just a status symbol. Nothing better to do with one's time than to post on CC.

Terri

The limitations of writing rather than actually talking are apparent here. I did not mean that all Americans are boorish or that all people from South Carolina are.What should I have said to indicate the people that poor Phoebecat was describing? They were American and they were from South Carolina. The actual cause of the problem was sheer drunkenness. The demon alcohol can make anyone behave badly if taken in sufficient quantity. Who decided to take bottles of Champagne aboard a bus and why are interesting to consider. Whoever it was clearly planned this in advance. At least one of them suggested apologising. Shame about the woman (obviously no lady) who told them they were spoiling their fun.

We had problems on our last cruise in Southern France (Avalon) when a large party of car salesmen from Oz were onboard. Actually the salesmen and their wives were not the problem. Their trip organiser, used to cordon off areas of deck or lounges (often the most popular ones) and have drinks parties or discuss special outings abnd events planned for them but not the rest of the cruise passengers. Fair enough but we could be sitting somewhere this group wanted to be and could be surrounded and gradually frozen out. Most unpleasant and many of us were not happy at all about the situation. I can see why large parties might all want to travel together but for those of us in twos and threes who enjoy the mix and match dining and meeting other people its not great.

Just so you know, Keith1010 posts often on Crystal boards and much of his advice has been invaluable not just for Crystal passengers but for others visiting the same ports. Let me suggest that he was simply being polite and thanking posters for what they've written.

We've been criticizing discourteous people on board a bus and now we're criticizing a courteous contributor to CC?

Just so you know, Keith1010 posts often on Crystal boards and much of his advice has been invaluable not just for Crystal passengers but for others visiting the same ports. Let me suggest that he was simply being polite and thanking posters for what they've written.

We've been criticizing discourteous people on board a bus and now we're criticizing a courteous contributor to CC?

Thanks for pointing that out. I will keep that in mind:)

Terri

People have different motives for posting. I go to the CC boards to get information or give information.

If a person just wants to thank someone as a courtesy, so be it. It is certainly a lot nicer than see another discussion about water, tipping, trying to catch a 10 AM flight home, or (gasp) smoking

People have different motives for posting. I go to the CC boards to get information or give information.

If a person just wants to thank someone as a courtesy, so be it. It is certainly a lot nicer than see another discussion about water, tipping, trying to catch a 10 AM flight home, or (gasp) smoking

Thank you again for pointing that out. He has been very courteous lately thanking everyone. I admire that.

Just as an aside, he has now reached his goal of 50,000 posts.

Terri

I came on CC to learn about the good and bad reports on Viking Cruises. Most of the posts have been very helpful but lately these sites have been tbein and remydiva having a catfight w/ Keith1010 over how many postings he has placed. WHO CARES?

The site was meant to give valuable information about cruising not as a place to bicker like children. If this continues I would suggest that the moderator ban any quotes from all concerned.

I came on CC to learn about the good and bad reports on Viking Cruises. Most of the posts have been very helpful but lately these sites have been tbein and remydiva having a catfight w/ Keith1010 over how many postings he has placed. WHO CARES?

The site was meant to give valuable information about cruising not as a place to bicker like children. If this continues I would suggest that the moderator ban any quotes from all concerned.

Well, Bless your heart!

Well, Bless your heart!

LOL.

The "50,000 posts" digression was mild compared to what I've seen on some of the CC boards. I ignore the chaff and look for the wheat.

Lets get back to discussing if Americans are boorish or not. No, wait. Didn't this thread start out having something to do with Viking before detouring to "boorish" on the way to "50,000 posts"? :)

The limitations of writing rather than actually talking are apparent here. I did not mean that all Americans are boorish or that all people from South Carolina are.They were American and they were from South Carolina.

I KNOW you didn't just confuse North Carolina with South Carolina!!:eek:

Just kidding.....there is a fierce BBQ competition (and much more) between the two states.

LOL.

The "50,000 posts" digression was mild compared to what I've seen on some of the CC boards. I ignore the chaff and look for the wheat.

Lets get back to discussing if Americans are boorish or not. No, wait. Didn't this thread start out having something to do with Viking before detouring to "boorish" on the way to "50,000 posts"? :)

Viking: the Good, the Bad and the Very Ugly

In a second thread titled: Viking, the Good, the Bad and the very Ugly Part 2

Viking posted THEIR response to Phoebecat in a way I guess to summarize their discussions...if interested, view this thread and see Viking's comments on Post #35 posted today at 502 pm.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1871236&page=2

I think the time has come to put this thread, and maybe all flood threads to rest. Those that were severely, or even somewhat, impacted by the floods will do what they need to do in order to feel compensated and heard.

Hopefully ALL the companies will huddle in their board rooms and deconstruct how they managed this disaster so that 'next time', things will be better.

And I think many river cruise companies reputations have been somewhat tarnished by how they handled things. It may be some time until some of those impacted ever dip their toes into a river cruise again.:eek:

I KNOW you didn't just confuse North Carolina with South Carolina!!:eek:

Just kidding.....there is a fierce BBQ competition (and much more) between the two states.

I saw that also, but since I was reprimanded once by someone who feels these boards are for cruising info only, I was going to let it pass. Anyway, Hopeful Cruiser, I would be more than happy to meet you on a cruise.

Terri (a South Carolina transplant--originally from Long Island)

Sorry, didn't mean to be out of bounds, it just tickled my funny bone (I am a Florida transplant who has served time in North Carolina AND New York before finally landing in South Carolina). Would LOVE to do a River Cruise someday but DH is in a wheelchair, so not likely to happen. Still, I can't resist lurking.

Sorry, didn't mean to be out of bounds, it just tickled my funny bone (I am a Florida transplant who has served time in North Carolina AND New York before finally landing in South Carolina). Would LOVE to do a River Cruise someday but DH is in a wheelchair, so not likely to happen. Still, I can't resist lurking.

I don't think you are out of bounds. No problem on my end.

Glad you're lurking. I live in Bluffton, where do you live?

Terri

I live in "Grainville" and you know what I'm talking about. Bluffton...on the coast, right?

Bluffton is on the mainland side of the bridge to Hilton Head.

And I'm assuming you mean "Greenville"??????

LOL

We're not too close.

It's cold in the mountains. The nice thing about where I am is the winters are mild. However the summers are brutal.

We are way off topic.

Terri

Archived