Skype on Triumph

sr30sb

I am cruising on the Triumph at the end of August with some high school buddies. And since my DW and DD will be staying home this trip, is the internet fast enough to Skype them while I am aboard the ship?

I am cruising on the Triumph at the end of August with some high school buddies.

- is the internet fast enough to Skype them while I am aboard the ship?

Maybe if you turn off the camera/video

and just go with audio only?

I would post to currently onboard. Its a carnival.com forum and free to post back and forth.

You can skpe while in the ports, and type on a family thread while on the ship.

Im not paying 75 cents a minute for internet onboard when i can type for free.

I don't know about the TRIUMPH------some of the newer ships have a better wifi hookup. All the ships I've been on so far have a VERY slow connection speed. The nearest to it would be dial up. I wouldn't try to send graphics or large files, so Skype would probably not work. Try to have everything prepared in advance and once connected copy or send as an attachment. We have always found very inexpensive internet cafes at each port (usually a McDonalds or Starbucks can be found, and for the price of a coffee you'd have unlimited internet). Hope the TRIUMPH is the newer system. Here is a link to a list of free wifi hotspots throughout the world, just scroll past the US---last year I was able to locate free spots when the Spirit brought us to Australia!

FREE WIFI HOTSPOTS

I bought the high speed Internet package on Magic and used FaceTime on my ipad to my sons iPhone. No problems at all. I know you might not have this set up but for those who do it worked nicely.

Ñot true about the Skype. We sailed the Magic in Janurary. We told our daughter we would pay for the basic and nothing more. Shexwas able to facetime with the boyfriend just fine. Isn't facetime similar to Skype?

Ñot true about the Skype. We sailed the Magic in Janurary. We told our daughter we would pay for the basic and nothing more. Shexwas able to facetime with the boyfriend just fine. Isn't facetime similar to Skype?

I think so but I am not an apple person unfortunately :confused:

All of us on our cruise will have IPhones. Can we communicate with each other using FaceTime at no charge? We will be on Triumph.

Not while underway...

In port if you can find a free wifi hotspot.

I usually find a free hotspot to make calls using a VOIP app with my cellphone. Never tried video because, well... people know what I look like and I'm only gone for a few days.

My daughter used facetime on the Magic, with basic service. She also downloaded the free Magic jack app and made free phone calls, but we still paid for Interne on the ship. We will try the same thing on the Triumph this August..

Archived