Lock strikes announced in Germany

steamboats

It cooled off a bit and rained, so levels are improving, should be good enough for the next week or so.. More rain and cooler temperatures are announced. So this is good news :)

Lovely news. Thank you. Off to AMS tomorrow. AMS to BUD cruise begins Wed 8/14. Though I have no laptop, I should be able to periodically check your website www.rivercruiseinfo.com as well as here. And I'm most grateful for that site and all the info/articles/water levels links, etc. that both locals and fellow cruisers have posted here.

Unfortunately, if they do announce strikes on the Danube it would affect us at Passau as we cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg. Well, we will wait and see if there are any announcements soon.

Just curious.....are any of the cruise companies communicating with you about the the the substitution and options they have planned.

What about Viking? Uniworld?

Just curious.....are any of the cruise companies communicating with you about the the the substitution and options they have planned.

What about Viking? Uniworld?

Haven't heard anything,yet...

I will probably contact Avalon, if it looks like we will be impacted by strikes or low water levels. We leave in a few days and we are crossing our fingers.

Haven't heard anything,yet...

I will probably contact Avalon, if it looks like we will be impacted by strikes or low water levels. We leave in a few days and we are crossing our fingers.

To be honest Avalon won't know anything definite, water levels vary by the hour and strikes by the week. The tour companies are used to changing plans at the last minute and telling you about them during the daily port talk.

There is a comment in one of the Uniworld forums that the strikes won't resume before the 15th. http://www.uniworldcruises.com.au/community/forum/before-you-go/advice/german-lock-keeper-strikes

We're on the AMALyra in Nuremburg. Our cruise began on Tuesday, August 6 in Budapest and ends tomorrow, August 13. We made it all the way through without any problem. It's been amazing! I'll write a review when I get home.

Looking forward to your review! We are on the AMAlyra in 2 weeks. Absolutely cannot wait!

• 1 month later...

Waters are not low. Sorry, I don't know where you read the levels. Things change day by day, if not by the hour.

Right now waters are high. From Passau we will go for 25 km to Vilshofen and then be bussed to Regensburg. The ship will continue on and we will be bussed back to Vilshofen. The weather is predicted to be better. There's no guarantee.

When the water is too high your ship won´t be able to go under a low bridge ;)! Unless you want to rip off the pilot house (which happens from time to time) :D.

steamboats

That's why AMA designed their pilot houses on hydraulic jacks. They can flatten the entire top of the ship and squeeze under those low bridges.

That's why AMA designed their pilot houses on hydraulic jacks. They can flatten the entire top of the ship and squeeze under those low bridges.

Avalon has designed their boats to get under low bridges because the wheelhouse can be lowered. What other ships beside Avalon ans AMA have this design feature?

After Passau we docked in Villhofen sp? And were taken by bus to Regensburg. The river was too high to go any further. I wouldn't want to bus every day but this hour and fifteen minute bus trip was a delight. We saw countryside that we hadn't expected. I think most of us were drifting off on the return trip. It was an active day.

The weather improved and the captain is heading to Resenberg to dock in the morning so we can be bussed for an hour to Nuremburg.

The river is very high and there is one bridge that will be approached very carefully.

Weather is looking much better for tomorrow and the following days.

Archived