Do Voyager Class ships feel too big and crowded?

I am thinking about booking the Explorer of the Seas for next year. We have only been on the ships that are smaller, like the Grandeur, Sovereign, etc. Do these "mega" ships feel too big and crowded?

In my opinion, I have felt LESS crowded on Voyager-class ships than on their smaller counterparts. There is just so much to do and not everyone is doing the same thing at the same time. The only time I noticed the crowds was during the parades on the Royal Promenade. Those only happen twice during the week though and last about 15 minutes at about 11:00 o'clock at night. But a parade in my little hometown would attract a crowd too and has never stopped me from going and enjoying it! :D I highly recommend Voyager-class ships. They are by far my favorite class of ship and Explorer just happens to be my favorite of the Voyager-class ships!!!

I totally agree with Bonnie about the Voyager-class ships. Once you've experienced a VC, life aboard a smaller ship will never be the same. The only problem is that there's so much to do that you will never have time to get it all in!

This was one of my family's prime concerns before we went on the Mariner last year. I never felt crowded, because there was just so much to do on the ship it self. The only places I noticed a fairly large line was the rock climbing wall and the mini golf course. Try to do those on port days if possible.

We didn't feel crowded at all...the only time it felt crowded was trying to find a lounge chair near the pool on an "at sea" day! We didn't even have a wait for mini-golf! This was my travel buddy's first cruise, and I'm afraid she won't try any other ship as anything else would be a step down!

We just returned from Voyager yesterday and no it never felt crowded, except trying to get an elevator when embarking.I've been on Grandeur and Majesty and agree with everyone that Voyager class is designed to handle 3500+ passengers very easily.

Thanks for all your replies. Looking through the pictures on the internet of the pool deck, it does look crowded, but then again, I guess our Grandeur pictures looked crowded too. The cabins overlooking the promenade look kinda neat. Would you prefer one of those or a balcony?

Thanks for all your replies. Looking through the pictures on the internet of the pool deck, it does look crowded, but then again, I guess our Grandeur pictures looked crowded too. The cabins overlooking the promenade look kinda neat. Would you prefer one of those or a balcony?
I would prefer a balcony or an ocean view. When I am at sea, I like to know that I am at sea. I like to see the sea. But that's just my opinion. The cabins are nice and you don't have to battle with crowds to see the parade. It's the best of the inside cabins.

We were just on Mariner of the Seas, which sailed at full capacity, and never felt crowded. The traffic flow is well designed and the variety of activities keeps people scattered around the ship. My only negative about Voyager Class ships is that they seem designed to pull you inside the ship to the point where you lose all connection with the sea. That's why I prefer the Radiance class ships which allow you great views of the ocean from throughout the ship.

That said, I would never turn down an opportunity to sail on a Voyager ship and we have booked our entire family for an October, 2006 cruise on Freedom of the Seas. :)

We've been on Voyager and will be on Mariner in 13 days! Did not feel crowded - there were actually times we would sit in a lounge and wonder where the other 3500 people were. I guess on any ship, the pool deck would be crowded! We like a balcony cabin, once you have one, you can't go back.

Just remember the Granduer has 2000 passangers and is 77,000 tons. The Voyager is almost twice as big but only maxes out at 3500 passangers. More space. I have sailed both and the Voyager is MUCH less crowded.

I am also amazed at how UNcrowded it can seem at times on the Voyager class ships. The pool deck does get packed at peak times but not any more than other ships we have sailed. One area that can seem too crowded is the Windjammer Cafe at lunch on sea days and at breakfast on port days when finding a table can be difficult. DH and I love these ships and we'll be taking our 3rd Voyager class cruise in a row later this summer.

Did not feel too crowded (it was Spring Break) but really looking forward to the Jewel and the Radiance class. Particulary being able to eat outside in the Seaview and Windjammer cafes. That is the downside to the mega class ships (no outside dining, except for part of Johnny Rockets).

I can't remember ever feeling crowded. Quite the opposite, The Explorer is a lovely ship. I loved the mall and the parades. On sea days the solarium was pretty crowded, but I could always find a chair for sunning in other areas, though it might not be exactly around the pool. One thing we will take if we sail a Voyager class ship again with other couples, is a couple sets of walkie talkies. They guys kept missing us in spots all around the ship one day, and the walkie talkies would have really come in handy since cell phones won't work!:cool: They would have saved some frustration. Also, we loved our balcony room on the hump. The Explorer was our first cruise and we fell in love with cruising because of that experience! :D

In my opinion, I have felt LESS crowded on Voyager-class ships than on their smaller counterparts. There is just so much to do and not everyone is doing the same thing at the same time. The only time I noticed the crowds was during the parades on the Royal Promenade. Those only happen twice during the week though and last about 15 minutes at about 11:00 o'clock at night. But a parade in my little hometown would attract a crowd too and has never stopped me from going and enjoying it! :D I highly recommend Voyager-class ships. They are by far my favorite class of ship and Explorer just happens to be my favorite of the Voyager-class ships!!!

Everything Bonnie said.... same for me.

I will second everything said about the Voyager class. We sailed in APril and I never felt it was crowded... you could always get a chair by the pool. The only time it was crowed was during the parades and when the shows let out... otherwise it was quite comfortable.... we went with a group of 27 and they all felt the same...

go for the Explorer you will not be disappointed.... the staff is wonderful

I would also like to add that I, too, fell in love with the Voyager class ships during my Mariner cruise last year. I agree that the only times I felt "crowded" was 1) during the parades; 2) during customs; 3) before/after a show; and 4) breakfast the morning of disembarkation. The rest of the time I didn't feel crowded at all.

As for the balcony v. Promenade cabin, mom and I had a Promenade cabin and really enjoyed it. Not as big as a balcony cabin, but for an interior cabin, at least you have some view, so for a budget minded person, I would highly recommend the Promenade cabin and yes, please keep the drapes drawn when you are changing your clothing! The people across the way CAN see inside your cabin!!!

Looking forward to our aft corner cabin on the Explorer next year! Woo hoo!!!

Theresa

Archived