Carnival Mastercard

I applied for a Carnival Mastercard on my last cruise and got it in the mail last week. I used it for the first time and I see I have 5,101 points (5,000 for first time use and I spent $101).

My question is, how do I see what cruise items the points can be redeemed for? The barclays site says to go to manage my rewards and then all I get is a screen that says "That wasn't supposed to happen! We're sorry, something went unexpectedly wrong with your request. Please try again." And when I hit the Shop Now button all I get is where you can shop to earn points. Frustrated!

It probably takes a couple of days for the system to initially "catch up." Eventually you will be able to see what you can redeem your points for and / or use the calculator that lets you know how many points needed for a given cruise.

It probably takes a couple of days for the system to initially "catch up." Eventually you will be able to see what you can redeem your points for and / or use the calculator that lets you know how many points needed for a given cruise.

Okay, great, thanks! So it will be really obvious once they post?

I've had the Barclay Carnival Card for years. If you are interested in racking up points, you do best with Carnival purchases. I just used 15,000 points for $150 credit toward my Nov. Cruise out of Tampa, Fl.

Years ago the point accumulation was much more generous. Play around with the options on the home page, you will quickly learn how to find all the info you want.

Frankly, I am thinking of changing over to their travel card instead of the Carnival card because you only earn double points with the Carnival card when you purchase a Carnival cruise or gift pkg., etc. Everyday purchases only earn 1 point per $1 spent.

Yeah, I was sort of mislead when I went to the future cruise talk. The person at the talk said you get 1.5 points for every dollar when shopping at Walmart and I shop there for groceries once a week, so I thought that that would be a good way to accumulate points. However, it only posted as a 1:1. I think what he meant is Walmart.COM, as with all the other places the points count for more. It has to be online shopping.

DH and I aren't cruising next year :( because we are trying to save for a house and pay off some debt, so perhaps I will get enough points next year to maybe get some OBC or a little discount on our next cruise (which will be in 2015 if I have anything to say about it!)

You can shop through their site, and earn extra points. Shop on their "rewards boost". It's a link that sends you to other retail sites that you can earn extra points on...ex. QVC right now...3 points for $1 spent etc.

That's how you can rack up the points too.

I've had the Carnival Mastercard for a number of years. I use it to pay for everything I can... gas, food, internet, phone, electricity.. only my mortgage bank won't accept credit card payments.

We (my wife and I) have taken several "balcony cruises", using points for payment. Zero out of pocket cruises.

I also have a Chase Visa card, and I've sat down and compared the points they offer verses the Carnival Mastercard. In the end, it was about a "wash".. I didn't see much advantage of one over the other.. but I use the Carnival card because it's a nice surprise to tell my wife "I've booked us another cruise at zero cost" :)

I've had the Carnival Mastercard for a number of years. I use it to pay for everything I can... gas, food, internet, phone, electricity.. only my mortgage bank won't accept credit card payments.

We (my wife and I) have taken several "balcony cruises", using points for payment. Zero out of pocket cruises.

I also have a Chase Visa card, and I've sat down and compared the points they offer verses the Carnival Mastercard. In the end, it was about a "wash".. I didn't see much advantage of one over the other.. but I use the Carnival card because it's a nice surprise to tell my wife "I've booked us another cruise at zero cost" :)

I'm a credit card churner. If your Chase Visa is a wash with the Carnival MC, you have the wrong Chase CC. Chase offers crazy bonus points on many of their different airline/hotel cards. For example you can get a Chase priority club visa with 80,000 point bonus after spending $1,000 in 3 months. That 80k bonus points can be anywhere from around 4-16 hotel nights. There are many many more different variety's and offers and I won't go into all of them. However my daughter plays college ball and I was able to fly with the wife and one of my other children, stay in hotels every night and sometimes suites, follow her around for the entire spring break watching her play, and make 6 other round trip trips with hotels stays and not use up half my points from various card bonuses. That's just the bonus points (not points I accumulated in spending). So my point being the Carnival MC is more of a ehh card. Bonus well below par and I can name off more than 15 other cards that would pay a much bigger $$$ payout. Yeah you don't get $50 Carnival OBC with other cards, you just get $500 back in your pocket.

Disclaimer: I have auto pay on all my credit cards and never pay interest. All cards I speak about are usually those higher interest rate cards usually in the 15% range that I would not use if I had debt and didn't pay them off every month. If you don't pay off your card each month the Carnival card may be better for you (don't know the interest rate). My big bonus cards have higher interest rates and I don't recommend those that don't pay balance in full each month.

So it sounds to be 1 for 1.

I would be interested to see how many points are needed for a cruise, and at what cabin type. If its anything like plane flights, they can keep their card..

I recently used 100,010 points to book a $1502 cruise. I booked the cruise first, then once it posted, I went online and selected redeem for statement credit. It was very simple to use. I waited to get to 100,000 points because the redemption rate is better. It takes 66.67 points per dollar if the purchase is $1500 or more. If under $1500, it is 100 points redeemed per dollar.

I applied for a Carnival Mastercard on my last cruise and got it in the mail last week. I used it for the first time and I see I have 5,101 points (5,000 for first time use and I spent $101).

My question is, how do I see what cruise items the points can be redeemed for? The barclays site says to go to manage my rewards and then all I get is a screen that says "That wasn't supposed to happen! We're sorry, something went unexpectedly wrong with your request. Please try again." And when I hit the Shop Now button all I get is where you can shop to earn points. Frustrated!

I don't use my points to purchase things on a cruise. I use them for statement credit. Say I have 5000 points and I purchase items with them. I then would have no points. If instead I purchase the same Items for $50, I can use my 5000 points to get a $50 credit on my card balance and am left with 100 points I would otherwise not have. See by using credit I still got the items paid for but also started working on earning the next 5000 points. Plus 5000 points does not buy $50 worth of items but it does get $50 subtracted from your credit card balance.

I still can't seem to find the place where I can see what my points can go toward. And my first purchase was posted and already paid off. Frustrated! :mad:

do you see an option that says "manage rewards', I think thats where you'll find the information.

do you see an option that says "manage rewards', I think thats where you'll find the information.

Yes and this is what I get "That wasn't supposed to happen! We're sorry, something went unexpectedly wrong with your request. Please try again." And I actually got to that by clicking on View Rewards on the main page and then clicking on the manage your rewards under the How do I redeem? FAQ.

Yes and this is what I get "That wasn't supposed to happen! We're sorry, something went unexpectedly wrong with your request. Please try again." And I actually got to that by clicking on View Rewards on the main page and then clicking on the manage your rewards under the How do I redeem? FAQ.

Hmm, don't know what else to tell ya. I just checked mine with no problems. Maybe try again later. :)

I recently used 100,010 points to book a $1502 cruise. I booked the cruise first, then once it posted, I went online and selected redeem for statement credit. It was very simple to use. I waited to get to 100,000 points because the redemption rate is better. It takes 66.67 points per dollar if the purchase is $1500 or more. If under $1500, it is 100 points redeemed per dollar.

AHOY SHIPMATE

I have the HOLLAND AMERICA Visa card and have rec'd over $3000. in credit from pts accumulated over the past three yrs.... Only use Discover for gas .. . get 5% during certain months.....Another really good deal is the OBC you can get if you buy 100 shares of Carnival stock. good on any of the ships owned by Carnival

Since you just received the card, could be that what you just earned isn't posted to the "bank" yet for you to redeem them...just a thought

Since you just received the card, could be that what you just earned isn't posted to the "bank" yet for you to redeem them...just a thought

That's true. Maybe I'll wait until I get my first official statement. I can see, however, that I do have 5,101 points (5,000 from first use and the 101 I spent on groceries). It is listed next to the transaction.

Archived