Question about Soft Surroundings sizing

magandab

I found a dress in the Soft Surroundings catalog that I just ADORE. I'm contemplating ordering it (and DH is contemplating throttling me! :D) but the sizing may not work for me. I normally wear an 8 or a 10, depending on the style, or a medium, if that's how it is sized. At SS, their small is a 6-8 and their medium is a 10-12.

Can anyone tell me from their experience whether the clothing from this catalog runs large, small or fairly true to size? I guess I could order one of each size and send back the wrong one, but their shipping charges are a bit high so would like to avoid that.

Hi magandab,

I've ordered from them several times and have always been pleased with their items. I'm larger than you (generally a 12-14) and usually order a size L.

That being said, you should look at the specific item's fitting measurements to see what would work best for you. I'd also call their Customer Service if you're still on the fence and ask their opinion.

Whenever I'm in doubt, I always order 2 sizes and return the one that doesn't work, no matter who I'm ordering from. To me, it's worth the extra $$ to have options!!

Good luck!

I would not go by sizes but by measurement as mentioned - every manufacturer's size 10 may be different. When you fnd the dress you like click on the 'size chart' to check measurements - a good idea is also to take a dress that fits you well and take those measurements to compare to what they are stating.....good luck!

It might depend on if the dress style is looser or more fitted - hopefully they'll have measurements online you can use.

I'm usually a 10 these days (at least in pants - I still have big boobs so 10/M doesn't always fit me on top) and I found a pair of black wide leg linen SS pants at Goodwill - fit great, $3, and they're a small. But I think that's just because of the style. I would never have ordered a Small online to try. Same with J Jill, actually, though many of their less fitted styles fit me in a small as well...

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm still undecided about ordering; it's not as though I NEED another dress! My thought too was to order both sizes and send one back, but really their shipping is out of sight, and might make me skip it altogether. They want almost $12 for one dress, over $17 to ship two. That's insane! I have done several searches and find no discount codes for SS that work. Hmmmpphhh. Maybe I'll just keep checking to see if that dress goes on sale and take my chances.

Well, I ordered both the small and the large. I'm a bit worried about the length, but we'll see. It's listed as two different lengths, depending on where you look.

Anyway, I found this code this morning and it took $10 off the total.

I really like that dress. Different.

I imagine there are going to be some of us ordering it. :D

Thanks for the link.

Sail, would you wear this for formal night, or another night, on HAL? I was thinking for PG or Le Cirque?

That's quite a challenge. I've never seen anything like this. Be sure to watch the video.

http://www.softsurroundings.com/P/Dominique_Dress/

You're right - I've seen many tiered maxi dresses but none that have that asymmetry. I hope one fits you!!

On HAL, I'm sure you could "get away" with wearing that on a formal night, but it would also be lovely in an alternative dining space.

Not helping on the cost - this is more - but this silk & color is gorgeous! http://us.asos.com/Mango-Mango-Silk-Tiered-Maxi-Dress/weld3/?iid=1619120&r=2&mporgp=L01hbmdvL01hbmdvLVNpbGstVGllcmVkLU1heGktRHJlc3MvUHJvZC8.

image1xxl.jpg

You're right - I've seen many tiered maxi dresses but none that have that asymmetry. I hope one fits you!!

On HAL, I'm sure you could "get away" with wearing that on a formal night, but it would also be lovely in an alternative dining space.

Actually, I have plenty for our three formal nights, so will probably wear this to the PG, if it fits/looks good/is long enough.... all that.

Sail, would you wear this for formal night, or another night, on HAL? I was thinking for PG or Le Cirque?

I think it would be lovely for Pinnacle or Le Cirque. You could wear if for formal with a dressy strappy sandal and bling but I'm not sure I would.

I like the different way the tiering is designed on this dress. Unusual.

I hope one of the two you ordered is perfect on you. :)

Well, I ordered both the small and the large. I'm a bit worried about the length, but we'll see. It's listed as two different lengths, depending on where you look.

Anyway, I found this code this morning and it took $10 off the total.

I meant, I ordered the small and the medium. Hoping one of them is perfect!

That is beautiful. I love that they tell you the model's size and height. Yikes, she is 5'10" and a size 4! Another advantage of the one I did order is that it's washable and knowing Soft Surroundings, won't wrinkle when packed.

Not helping on the cost - this is more - but this silk & color is gorgeous! http://us.asos.com/Mango-Mango-Silk-Tiered-Maxi-Dress/weld3/?iid=1619120&r=2&mporgp=L01hbmdvL01hbmdvLVNpbGstVGllcmVkLU1heGktRHJlc3MvUHJvZC8.

image1xxl.jpg

I keep getting their catalogs although I never ordered from them. The clothes are gorgeous and I'm tempted to order.

As I usually do I looked up SS items on Ebay, there are a lot of them and the items look on a cheap side when it comes to fabric.

If you ordered the items from this company could you please tell me how is the quality of clothes, are they made to last (at least through a couple of cruises:)

Thank you.

If you ordered the items from this company could you please tell me how is the quality of clothes, are they made to last (at least through a couple of cruises:)

Thank you.

This will be my first purchase but I'll definitely post here once the dresses arrive and I've tried them on.

Archived