what every cruiser needs to know about lost luggage

Can anyone who has disembarked at Civitavecchia tell me if you disembark direct onto the dock, or if the disembarkation ramp leads directly into the tented terminal?

In Civitavecchia you disembark onto the dock and walk into the tented terminal. There wouldn't be any other way to go, other than into the terminal but it's a huge space with no real instructions as to what to do once you're in there. We did the late check out, stay onboard program, earlier this month and had to ask where our cases were - they were behind some barriers right at the other end of the tent.

I can see how the OP may have been oblivious to the cases waiting for collection, especially if he was off so early that they hadn't begun to stack up and he was not expecting to collect his case. However, still no excuse for him not reading the instructions left in his cabin, or noticing that everyone else was loading their cases onto the coach.

In Civitavecchia you disembark onto the dock and walk into the tented terminal. There wouldn't be any other way to go, other than into the terminal but it's a huge space with no real instructions as to what to do once you're in there. We did the late check out, stay onboard program, earlier this month and had to ask where our cases were - they were behind some barriers right at the other end of the tent.

I can see how the OP may have been oblivious to the cases waiting for collection, especially if he was off so early that they hadn't begun to stack up and he was not expecting to collect his case. However, still no excuse for him not reading the instructions left in his cabin, or noticing that everyone else was loading their cases onto the coach.

Thank you. That helps to clarify what probably happened.

Yeah, no kidding. He's so unwilling to admit the one little thing he did wrong, I can't help but believe he's starting to do this on purpose. :rolleyes:

Anyone that gets hammered this much usually walks away. Either he has tremendous stamina or you are correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The photos posted are helpful. Thank you.

Can anyone who has disembarked at Civitavecchia tell me if you disembark direct onto the dock, or if the disembarkation ramp leads directly into the tented terminal?

With most cruises I have taken, the way you get off the ship leads directly into the terminal and it's not possible to go any other way.

If the OP was able to disembark directly onto the dock, that might explain why he insists there was no terminal and no luggage - like this:

• He misread/misunderstood the disembarkation instructions,
  • Got a fixed (incorrect) idea in his head,
  • Possibly disembarked at the wrong time,
  • Possibly the disembarkation ramp did not lead into the terminal,
  • He saw the bus and headed directly to it,
  • Blinkers due to fixed idea prevented him from even noticing the terminal building, and from collecting or inquiring about his luggage.

Whatever, I'm glad he got his luggage back, but I wish he could admit that he misunderstood the process and it was not the cruise line's fault.

No matter what the OP thinks, the cruise line was not swayed by his legal arguments and quoting of old cases. It isn't in anyone's interests for this sort of case to go to court - a court case would be time-wasting and expensive.

That the cruise line agreed to pay the shipping costs to get the luggage back to the OP wasn't an admission that they had any liability to do so - it was simply a "shut-up-and-go-away" write-off.

The posted photos are great and exactly how it looks! :)

Yes, you do get off directly onto the asphalt dock an are then directed into the little terminal. Usually, there are metal barriers up far along the sides that would prevent you from going all the way down and around the building.

While it would be technically possible to pull the buses right up in between--in many cruises I have never seen it (and we are often up early watching the docking procedures, etc). That entire section is always blocked off and the area at the top of the photos is generally "guarded" by customs agents or police of some sort--most often with a dog. Food and supplies are brought in through there, and each one is sniffed by the dog before being cleared to board (we are weird and like to watch this process).

"About a half an hour ago, I received a call from the Travel insurance company. They and RCCL have reached an agreement to ship my suitcase back, at no cost to me."

The above is from the Op. It says the suitcase is being sent back at no cost to to him, but are the insurance company paying?

"About a half an hour ago, I received a call from the Travel insurance company. They and RCCL have reached an agreement to ship my suitcase back, at no cost to me."

The above is from the Op. It says the suitcase is being sent back at no cost to to him, but are the insurance company paying?

But I think the tag on his returned luggage from RCL says ''enjoy your next cruse on Carnival''.;)

Archived