what every cruiser needs to know about lost luggage

RDeluxe are you an admiralty trained lawyer?

If you are you will realize suing a cruise ship company is next to impossible (unless you are taken off the ship via ambulance gravely injured, etc.) When you sign your documents you give up most of your rights to sue.

I've been in the nautical industry for 40 years and watched many times as our lawyers made mincemeat of the amulance chasers. No nuisance claims.

Just be happy you got your luggage back.

What's an ambulance chaser ? Is that the priority response vehicle?

I think quite a few of the responses have been a bit abrupt and rude.

However I think it is about time the OP admitted that he misunderstood the process and made a mistake and was not completely blameless in the whole situation.

In that case I, and many others I presume, would be far more sympathetic to the fact that once he realised that things were not perhaps happening as he anticipated (i.e. the bag not appearing at the airport) there was no effective assistance from RCCL. The ability to make a quick phone call to someone who could check where the bag was and perhaps get it in a taxi to the airport for the OP would have been great customer service, not too expensive and would certainly have prevented a lot of anxiety and irritation.

If you set your luggage in the hallway outside your room, and when you disembark your luggage is no where to be found (assuming you look for it and ask for help)... ie: still on the ship for whatever reason, RCI would be responsible for getting the luggage to your destination. This would be no different than an airline not placing your bag on the luggage carousel. I don't think one person here would disagree with that.

I don't think that's what happened here. The OP didn't know he was supposed to get his bag pier-side. OK. Now you're down to a miscommunication...

A) Did RCI specify it somewhere and the OP either missed it or didn't understand

B) Did RCI put out wrong information

C) did RCI not say one way or the other.

Based on the thousands of people who cruise (from first timers to "old salts"), the odds are HIGHLY against B & C being the case.

If I was in the OPs shoes (and I was last month), I would have at least offered to pay 1/2 the shipping fee.

I mentioned it earlier... we had souvenirs confiscated (a bat & whip) when reboarding the ship in Cozumel. We were told at that time to pick up the items after we got through customs in Ft. Lauderdale. We got through customs and went right to our shuttle bus. There were no signs (that we saw) saying "confiscated items this way" or anything like that. Hopefully that would have jogged our memory. It was 3+ hours later before we realized we had forgotten our items. So, for the OP, since he's apparently researched this... who should have been responsible for paying for shipment for our souvenirs?

I have one problem with this story. People are called to disembark by their color tags as each color is put out in the terminal, on the wharf, whatever. The instructions we all get the night before are very clear on this. If OP waited till his color was called, there is no way there was no luggage sitting there for pick up, even if it was the remainder of the previous color group.

I know he's frustrated with everyone's blockheadedness, well, so are we all who can't imagine his naïveté.

Time to all shake our respective heads and think about something else for a while!!!!

FWIW, I don't think I've been nasty or mean. If making multiple responses is considered to be mean, then I'm guilty. But I'm just trying to ask questions and figure out how something like this could have happened.

That's what I'm trying to figure out as well. The OP has said he purchased one of the RCI shuttle bus transfers. Having never taken one of these, I'm unfamiliar with how it works. The OP implies that each bus was assigned to each Departure group number. It seems that the OP was the first off the ship, as he says there was no luggage whatsoever on the dock. So we're to assume that the OP was in Group 1? From my experience, the first people off the ship are the people that elect to do Self Disembarkation, where you carry off your luggage on your own and off you go to the airport. Perhaps the OP mistakenly chose/was put in this Self Disembarkation group?

So if he was in Group 1, there is a bus that says "Group 1"? And then presumably buses that say "Group 2, Group 23, Group 46, etc.?" It seems to make sense that if you purchase the transfer, they will assign you a bus, so they can keep track of how many people are in each bus and that there is some order as to loading the bus. The OP says that the bus left "when it was full". So does the driver know how many people are supposed to be on the bus? All of the Group 1 people were accounted for? Or do you just leave when it seems like there are no more seats?

I'm wondering if everybody carried off their luggage and loaded it into this bus, as the OP states himself that he saw people with luggage, but he was unaware of whether or not everybody had carried off their own luggage. I'm guessing that might be the case.

Coming from a family of attorneys, one thing I've learned is that you can never win an argument with a lawyer. Glad that the OP was able to resolve the situation. Would be interesting to see if anybody else who has been on this same sailing and itinerary could comment on the departure process.

I think the problem may be that the OP purchased a bus transfer and mistakenly assumed he had purchased the luggage valet program when he saw those instructions on the form and followed them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The OP obviously has never traveled if they think they can write their flight information on a cruise luggage tag and their bag will magically appear at the airport. They also didn't read any information left in their cabin explaining disembarking.

Time to accept a little responsibility and stop blaming their TA and the cruiseline for everything.

Exactly!

As for putting his luggage out overnight, "because the travel agent advised it", - did the OP not read the information about disembarkation that is provided by the cruise line, ad nauseum, not to mention the instructions given by the Cruise Director in that meeting in the theatre and the re-screenign of that briefing on his stateroom TV?

The OP keeps insisting on US law to back up his viewpoint, but, guess what? While many cruise lines do follow some of US law, not all of them do, and US law is unlikely to apply on Italian soil.

The OP made an unfortunate mistake, due to inexperience and incorrect assumptions. It wasn't the cruise line's fault.

I think the problem may be that the OP purchased a bus transfer and mistakenly assumed he had purchased the luggage valet program when he saw those instructions on the form and followed them.

Actually, I think the problem is the Pied Piper found Cruise Critic.

I've used the shuttle transfer from Civitavecchia to the airport once.

The instructions were quite clear:

• Put out your luggage the night before disembarkation, with the supplied colour-coded tag attached.
  • On disembarkation morning, meet with the rest of your group (i.e. those on the same shuttle as you) at the designated time, in the designated place.
  • Disembark with the rest of your group, when your colour code is called, or when instructed to do so.
  • Locate your luggage and take it with you to your bus/shuttle.

I agree with others that the main cause of the OP's problem was that he misunderstood, and thought he had signed up for luggage valet, which was not offered for his cruise.

He did not see his luggage when he disembarked for one of two possible reasons:

1. He did not disembark at the correct time for his colour code.
  2. He did not notice luggage, because he was not expecting to have to pick up his bags. His attention was more focussed on getting on to the coach.

Whatever the causes, it was not RCI's responsibility to get his bag to the airport, even if he had put his flight number on the baggage tag.

At this stage, rather than suing the cruise line and looking up and citing obscure US case law, I would have been acknowledging that my own actions, however unwitting, had caused the problem.

The luggage has been found and the OP is getting it back. In that, he's fortunate. Some people who fly never see their bags again.

I've only been on one debarkation in Europe, and it was a while ago. But don't you have to go through customs after you get your luggage?

We have never gone thru customs until we reached the States.

Have had our luggage transferred from Piraeus to JFK where we went thru customs, as well as the same thru Civ.

we did not have to bring our luggage to the bus or to the limo.

I agree with others that the main cause of the OP's problem was that he misunderstood, and thought he had signed up for luggage valet, which was not offered for his cruise.

He did not see his luggage when he disembarked for one of two possible reasons:

1. He did not disembark at the correct time for his colour code.
  2. He did not notice luggage, because he was not expecting to have to pick up his bags. His attention was more focussed on getting on to the coach.

I agree. I'm thinking that it was a combination of thinking he had signed up for the luggage valet, and then somehow getting off the ship when self-disembark was called instead of waiting for his color group. That would've explained why he didn't see any luggage out yet.

The whole scenario reminds me of the problems that can occur when trying to follow directions that are not written or spoken in your native language. You might miss important stuff, and not know it, or you might think you heard it all right, and actually be way off. The OP seems quite proficient with the English language though, so I doubt this is the case. But that is what comes to mind when I read his explanation, and his difficulty in seeing how he messed up the process he should have followed.

Hi rdeluxe

I wish I could be like him, you said you are a lawyer right.

If I were you, I couldn't hesitate to pay the 600$ to get my luggage back if I really want my luggage back. At the end of the day I have to remind myself that I'm a lawyer , it's only 600$ :-)

Someone must be able to tell me ?????

I think most did not realize you were seriously asking! It is such a common term in the US--apparently not across the pond though :p

An ambulance chaser is a term used to describe the type of lawyer who might follow ("chase") an ambulance to the hospital in order to pressure the injured party to sue--no matter what REALLY caused the accident, etc.

It basically is meant to embody all that can be wrong, underhanded, etc about lawyers and the legal system in our litigious society.

Well my first clue to it not going to the plane is there was no place for the flight number. Do they read minds?

Years ago we were told never to have both cruise tags and flight tags on a bag, too much confusion.

<snip>

A) Did RCI specify it somewhere and the OP either missed it or didn't understand

B) Did RCI put out wrong information

C) did RCI not say one way or the other.

Based on the thousands of people who cruise (from first timers to "old salts"), the odds are HIGHLY against B & C being the case.

I have been on cruises where the information given on disembarkation procedures has been different depending on where you look - the sheet left on the bed by the cabin steward, the daily program, guest services. In NZ on Celebrity we purchased transfers to the airport on board and had 2 different sets of tags in the room (luckily worked out which were the correct ones). There were a number of "stories" about where I luggage would be and how to claim it - at the airport, at the hotel.

We were bussed to a central city hotel where we could leave our carry ons but we did not see our cases from when we put them out till we picked them up at the airport. Customs were at the port and checked our carry on (mostly they were looking for food). I would expect that the cases were checked separately.

My point is that sometimes there is conflicting, confusing or plain incorrect information provided by the cruise line so it is possible that the OP was given incorrect advice IMO.

My point is that sometimes there is conflicting, confusing or plain incorrect information provided by the cruise line so it is possible that the OP was given incorrect advice IMO.

I'll agree that's possible. But then wouldn't the logic be "I did x, y, and z because RCI told me so, but it didn't happen" or "the instructions weren't clear"?

The OP even said the disembarkation instructions said to "make sure to pick up your luggage after you get off the ship", but he neglected to do so. Then he goes on to say he "followed their instructions to a T". :confused:

We have never gone thru customs until we reached the States.

Have had our luggage transferred from Piraeus to JFK where we went thru customs, as well as the same thru Civ.

we did not have to bring our luggage to the bus or to the limo.

Some places are a lot more lax than the US, you probably went through customs and didn't notice, it might not have even been staffed at the time you went through. I remember one time at London City Airport where it consisted of a sign saying EU residents this way and all others that way. Both ways took to you the same place.

I think most did not realize you were seriously asking! It is such a common term in the US--apparently not across the pond though :p

An ambulance chaser is a term used to describe the type of lawyer who might follow ("chase") an ambulance to the hospital in order to pressure the injured party to sue--no matter what REALLY caused the accident, etc.

It basically is meant to embody all that can be wrong, underhanded, etc about lawyers and the legal system in our litigious society.

Right ! Lol.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed. Ha ha ha

RDeluxe are you an admiralty trained lawyer?

If you are you will realize suing a cruise ship company is next to impossible (unless you are taken off the ship via ambulance gravely injured, etc.) When you sign your documents you give up most of your rights to sue.

I've been in the nautical industry for 40 years and watched many times as our lawyers made mincemeat of the amulance chasers. No nuisance claims.

Just be happy you got your luggage back.

I do not believe that this issue would be controlled by maritime law. According to our cruise document areeement, all litigation is to be brought before the U.S. Southern District Court (in Florida). If that is the venue, I wonder why the OP is citing older NY State cases. The 5th Circuit case he cites may have some influcence, but not sure if the issues in that case are comparable to the current incident. If the OP got RCI to balk because of it, I do give him credit.

Regardless, the OP is getting his luggage back. More importantly, a great number of CC members have read this thread and will hopefully be more mindfull of picking up their luggage at the end of the cruise if they have transfers. If they have the valet service, I would triple check to ensure that they will be taking the luggage off the pier and placing it onto the bus/transport.

Exactly!

As for putting his luggage out overnight, "because the travel agent advised it", - did the OP not read the information about disembarkation that is provided by the cruise line, ad nauseum, not to mention the instructions given by the Cruise Director in that meeting in the theatre and the re-screenign of that briefing on his stateroom TV?

The OP keeps insisting on US law to back up his viewpoint, but, guess what? While many cruise lines do follow some of US law, not all of them do, and US law is unlikely to apply on Italian soil.

The OP made an unfortunate mistake, due to inexperience and incorrect assumptions. It wasn't the cruise line's fault.

Can you imagine the impossibility of having all luggage (thousands of pieces) being send directly from the ship to an airport? The OP has no clue about the time and manpower that it would take to handle this. The luggage handlers are merely looking for the color coding on the tags and nothing else on those bags in order to get thousands of pieces of luggage in the baggage retrieval area by color code tags.

Since the valet program is NOT offered by RCCL in any ports other than specific U.S. ports, the OP made a huge mistake in not reading the disembarkation procedures that are sent in writing to each stateroom the night prior to departure. He could have asked anyone in the RCCL office for guidance and direction the night before he disembarked for assistance. He also could have asked anyone on the bus that he noticed were loading their luggage on the bus where they retrieved their luggage. I can't believe that he saw every other bus passenger loading on luggage and he thought that his one bag would magically appear at the airport while all of the other passengers retrieved and loaded their bags on the bus transfer vehicle.

It is utterly amazing that no-one else on this ship had any issues with luggage retrieval other than the OP who simply didn't read the disembarkation procedures.

Can you imagine the impossibility of having all luggage (thousands of pieces) being send directly from the ship to an airport? The OP has no clue about the time and manpower that it would take to handle this. The luggage handlers are merely looking for the color coding on the tags and nothing else on those bags in order to get thousands of pieces of luggage in the baggage retrieval area by color code tags.

Since the valet program is NOT offered by RCCL in any ports other than specific U.S. ports, the OP made a huge mistake in not reading the disembarkation procedures that are sent in writing to each stateroom the night prior to departure. He could have asked anyone in the RCCL office for guidance and direction the night before he disembarked for assistance. He also could have asked anyone on the bus that he noticed were loading their luggage on the bus where they retrieved their luggage. I can't believe that he saw every other bus passenger loading on luggage and he thought that his one bag would magically appear at the airport while all of the other passengers retrieved and loaded their bags on the bus transfer vehicle.

It is utterly amazing that no-one else on this ship had any issues with luggage retrieval other than the OP who simply didn't read the disembarkation procedures.

agreed

I must say, it is remarkable how so many of you just have blinders on.

I´d rather say you had the blinders on disembarking to not even slightly realize your surroundings.

You'll find below the cases I included in my claim to RCCL. For those who know all there is to know about cruising, and where legal responsibility lies, don't even bother reading them. No doubt you'll say the courts have no idea what they're talking about.

Holmes v. North German Lloyd Steampshirp Co. 184 N.Y. 280(App.N.Y. 1906)

Scire v. American Export Lines, Inc., 93 N.Y.S.2d 457(S.Ct.N.Y. 1949)

Wirth v. S.S. Acadia Forest and Lash Barges, 537 F.2d 1272(5th Cir. 1976)Lechowitzer v. The Hamburg Packet Co., 28 N.Y.S. 577(N.Y. 1894)

There are plenty of other cases out there. I included these because they are authority later cases rely on and clearly set out the principles involved, and why those principle have been adopted over the centuries.

You are right I didn´t bother reading any court decisions from 1894-1976:eek: a time mass market cruising wasn´t even invented yet.

But whatever those court rulings stated, I´m quite sure they are not all about Pax denying to pick up their luggage in the designated areas.:rolleyes:

I´ve been on a few more Cruises than the OP and have yet to be on one with no luggage Claim area at the Pier. Actually it would be rather difficult to re-unite People with their luggage without unloading bags from the ship and having a Claim area;)

Following the OP´s way of thinking, I guess putting my home address on the provided tags must result in getting my bags delivered at my door.:D

But, but, but, the OP legibly added his airline and flight number to make it much easier;) :D;)

Archived