what every cruiser needs to know about lost luggage

I It was a Sunday and the local RCCL agent's office, as well as Miami Lost Luggage office were closed. None of the paperwork included a phone number for the ship(the Navigator), to which I had plenty of time to return if I could confirm my suitcase was there. In any event, I flew home to US and suitcase never showed up.

However the Miami office is open on Sunday with the phone number listed on page 3 of the docs.

What every cruiser REALLY needs to know bout lost luggage - unless you have purchased luggage valet, don't leave the disembarkation area without locating your bags and dealing with them. IF you can't locate them, definitely do not leave the disembarkation area without notifying the cruise line.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt (although I do have my own doubts that I will keep to myself at this time).

The OP posted last night, and might be waiting for a day before posting again. After 24 hours, if the OP has not responded, we can then begin with the one hit wonder chant.

The OP did not present us with enough information and after doing so (presuming he/she does return), we can then provide well informed responses based on the additional information.

Some of the questions I would like the OP to answer are as follows:

1) Did you look at any of the RCI documentation regarding disembarkment?

1a) What did this document state in regards to claiming luggage upon leaving the port building?

1b) You have stated RCI's responsibility, but what does the documentation state about the responsibility of the passenger in regards to luggage upon disembarkation?

2) Did you have an agreement (such as a baggage transfer/vallet service) with RCI or any other entitiy in which it claims that the entity would obtain your luggage from the RCI port building/tent then subsequently deliver it to the airline or to you at the airport? [if so, where was it written, and what did it state?]

3) Were there any other members of your party travelling with you in the same manner back to the airport?

3a) Did they follow the same procedure as you (i.e., not take the bags from the port building and load them onto the bus)?

3b) Did these members of your party that did not place the bags onto the bus themselves receive or not receive their bags?

4) Did you witness anyone else on your bus picking up their bags in the port building, then rolling/pulling them to the bus for loading?

5) You are the claimant in this issue against RCI, and as such, you do have the burden of proof -- do you not?

And of course now that some unknown person on the internet has had their say you now know the laws.......:rolleyes:

No, actually, it gives me a better idea of where to look, should I be in the same situation. BTW: Does anyone really know the laws??? I think we all do the best we can do with the situation we are in at the time.

I have never heard of it being offered in Europe, or for international flights that are leaving from the US either for that matter.

I believe there are too many safety issues with not having the actual passenger answer questions about luggage safety, etc and that regulations do not allow it here--but, again, I could be wrong.

You could be .............................. :-)

I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt (although I do have my own doubts that I will keep to myself at this time).

The OP posted last night, and might be waiting for a day before posting again. After 24 hours, if the OP has not responded, we can then begin with the one hit wonder chant.

The OP did not present us with enough information and after doing so (presuming he/she does return), we can then provide well informed responses based on the additional information.

Some of the questions I would like the OP to answer are as follows:

From one attorney to another? :)

Let's see if the OP does respond. The fact that he has been flamed here and didn't receive the responses he was anticipating might keep him in hiding.

I think for the most part, we all assume, first post, first time cruiser, first time inexperience. It might not be true, but until we know otherwise, it seems like just carelessness and being unaware of the process is what put him in this situation. I wonder what he thought when he saw the other passengers searching for their bags and wheeling them off. Why wouldn't he have thought he had to do the same?

You could be .............................. :-)

Have you been able to have bags transferred directly from the ship to your airline in the EU? Especially if the flight you are taking then leaves the EU?

I'd love to know which cruiselines and airlines do that if some do--it would be a nice thing for my in laws when they visit (we usually end up on a cruise together at the end) :)

Not in Europe but we have have totally different experiences. One time we forgot to pickup one of our bags. Took the shuttle to the car then discovered we were missing a bag. Went back to the terminal and had to wait till all passengers were off. They could not find it. So we filled out the paperwork. We were no going directly home and the clothes I was going to wear the next day were in that suitcase. We had cruisecare insurance. I explained what had happened and they told me to purchase what I needed and submit the bill. We went to Walmart (shorts, a shirt, under wear, socks and shoes) and bought some things. 2 days later The bag was delivered to our door. I called the Cruise care people and told them and they told me to submit the bill and I would be reimbursed.

I sent in the bill (less than $100) they sent me a check.

The other time was debarking in Alaska our bag was picked up by another cruiser that was on a cruise tour and put on a bus. We were not flying home that day and had a tour, then we were taking the train to Anchorage. And staying at a hotel there. Our suitcase got there before we did. At no charge to us.

These are what has happened to me. Not Europe, but we were very happy with the outcomes.

The OP made comments, that's all. I'm sure he did not expect the kind of remarks made to him on this thread. It's no wonder many members refuse to post on these boards any more. I know I'm hesitant, but once in a while I must don my Fireman's suit, put on my protective gear, and then try to respond to the flames.

That said - no one mentioned what else the OP posted in his post - this:

"we were loaded on the bus to the airport right next to the boat. We did not go thru any terminal and their was no luggage on the dock when I was directed to get on the bus.(It appears the luggage had not yet been taken off the ship)."

We, the members of this Forum, must take what he wrote as what actually happened to him. We cannot assume that:

1. "oh - that's impossible, it didn't happen to me at that port!"

2. "Can't happen, that Port isn't set up to have buses pull up to the boat."

3. "You are always responsible for your own luggage."

And the like. Why? You were not on his cruise.

Perhaps his ship docked in a different area?

Perhaps they followed different protocols that day?

Maybe his group was told to tag their luggage with their flight tags and it would be taken care of along with their airport transfer the next day. He did write that during the morning of disembarkation, they were routed from the theater (or where ever they were told to gather), directly to the bus, and then to the airport - and that he didn't believe "luggage" had been brought off the ship.

He also wrote that at the airport he realized his large piece of luggage had not been on the bus, that he had tried calling the local agent, other numbers, to see if the luggage was still on the ship, but was not successful. So, he assumed it would catch up to him. I guess I would have done the same.

Anyway, you have to take his statements as written. You cannot keep saying - well, it didn't happen to me, or it doesn't work that way, etc.

Again, You don't know. Only he does; again, you/we must take his statement as written.

Where does that leave us?

Most of us would like more details, I know I would.

I would like to know the following:

1. What exactly was he told about his transfer to the airport and luggage?

2. He mentioned his Large Piece of luggage, did he have others that made it onto the bus?

3. Did any luggage make it onto the bus - like other passenger's luggage?

4. Were his phone numbers locked away in that missing luggage (with his setsail docs)?

5. Could he have asked another passenger for the phone number to the ship?

And I'm sure there are others...

But by now, with all the negative comments made on here, I'm sure that the OP will never reply back on his thread. The flamers on Cruise Critic have done their job once again - burned another poster at the proverbial stake. I'm really sorry this has happened once again. I only wish that more members would take what other members write, especially new posters, as serious posts, and reply back in a kind, courteous manner.

Also, I am not directing this post against anyone in particular. It's directed in a general manner at those whom were unwilling to take what the OP posted as a serious complaint when he about what happened to him.

Still donning my Fireman's suit,

Korianto

p.s. On my recent cruise on the Grandeur, our two pieces of luggage were loaded dockside, into the same bin, one on top of the other, when we dropped them off. Both large pieces of luggage were tagged properly with color coded State Room tags with our Cabin Number clearly visible. About an hour (2pm) after checking into our cabin (7154), my husband's luggage arrived, but not mine. He unpacked while we waited for my piece to show up outside our door. In fact, I propped the door open so we would know when it arrived. 3pm came, and still no luggage. At 4pm I asked our cabin steward to look for it. At 5 pm, still no luggage. 6pm came, we were hungry, and my luggage still had not arrived at our door. We decided to go to the main dining room to eat, even though I was wearing shorts (if they asked, I would say, I'm still waiting for my luggage). We waited until 6:15 to leave, and when we arrived at the Elevator area, there was my piece of luggage, standing at the edge of the hallway - it was alone, holding up the wall. No one had noticed it, no crew member, no one had thought of bringing it to our cabin. I grabbed it and walked it back. When we turned the corner, our cabin steward was in the hallway. I told him about the luggage. His story? First one - "Maybe they couldn't read the tags". Second one - "It must have just shown up.", Third one - "Maybe it was delivered to the inside of the wrong cabin" - and he shrugged and walked away. The morale of this story - luggage gets lost for unknown, and uncontrollable circumstances, and no one knows why.....

Regardless of who is at fault here, it SUCKS to loose a piece of luggage. Southwest lost our big suitcase on our way to our Alaska cruise last month. And after over a month, the bag is still missing and we haven't reached a resolution with them or the travel insurance company. :mad:

O Ye of Little Faith. About a half an hour ago, I received a call from the Travel insurance company. They and RCCL have reached an agreement to ship my suitcase back, at no cost to me. and as to the skeptics out there who, like RCCL and other experienced travelers- I've only cruised twice, this being No 2. - what I reported is exactly what happened. Many of you have taken the same position RCCL tried with me, i.e. to tell me it was my fault, presumably on their understanding(or not) how many if not most cruises and ports work - yet without a clue regarding what happened in my specific circumstances. One of the court cases I cited to them found that that won't do - even if everyone else gets their suitcase, and I don't know that everyone else did, only the bailee(here the cruisline) is in a position to know what ahppened to mine and why I did not receive it. They were the last to have custody of it, not me, so it could have been misplaced, sent to the wrong location, kept on the boat somewhere, etc. Its up to them to figure it out not me. And, as I reported after doing bunches of online research, there are no customs stations at that port, we did not pass thru or go near any terminal, and online sites of limousine & other carriers advertise they can drive right up to the boat, saving passengers a walk, and then drive them directly to the airport. So if there are customs, terminals etc, how could they provide such service?

And the points many have not considered is?

why were we directed onto our assigned bus, and driven off, and never advised to be sure we had grabbed our suitcases, etc etc

why did RCCL, before disembarkment, not say besure to grap your suitcase outside on the dock before getting on the bus

why did the RCCL agent at the airport advise me my bag would be at the Airport baggage room - which as it turns out is only for lost baggage lost by airlines

why did RCCL not supply a phone number for the ship so passengers in my situation could call and if need be return to get whatever

why is there no one, either in Rome or Miami, in their office on Sunday - is it a rule that luggage nevers gets lost on Sunday.

As to the law, the cases I cited in my letter are US cases. Some materials I read said at least British law may be different. But in any event, is the choice supposed to be between a passenger missing an overaseas flight because the cruiseline has "lost" his bag or is it for the cruiseline to make good by shipping it overseas, if and when they find it? And for the record, under the law, "lost" does not mean, in this context, something has totaly disappeared. It means, according to may court decisions, in a location where it is not readily retrievable by the owner. A US law pertaining to railroads provides that a bag is considered lost if not delievered over to the passenger within one hour of leaving the train.

So you skeptics out there ought to study this further, rather than relying on preconceptions of passengers rights and responsibilities.

Have a nice next cruise!

That said - no one mentioned what else the OP posted in his post - this:

"we were loaded on the bus to the airport right next to the boat. We did not go thru any terminal and their was no luggage on the dock when I was directed to get on the bus.(It appears the luggage had not yet been taken off the ship)."

We, the members of this Forum, must take what he wrote as what actually happened to him. We cannot assume that:

Well, I did comment specifically on that ;)

I am going to disagree with you. I think it is okay--when someone is posting a long, rambling complaint and multiple things the poster is saying jump out as jump out as "not the norm" (in this case, luggage valet is no offered by RCI from that port--confirmed by RCI's website, AND that set up is not one I have EVER seen at that port--on multiple carriers and docked in multiple areas) to question whether the issues is truly the fault of the carrier being criticized or if the poster misunderstood policies or is exaggerating.

I do not think it is right to insult the poster an call them names, etc--but it is also not helpful to take everything, no matter how questionable, at face value and let a "warning" stand that is likely not needed at all; it can be confusing to future cruisers.

I really think it's because every thread started by a person with one post and only one post and never makes another thread or post are usually some big blown out of proportion complaint or tirade! For the most part people on here that are trully memebrs of the board continue to make threads and reply to post beyond the 1st one. This is not unique to CC, but it happens on a lot of forums on the net where it is open for anybody to join.

With folks defending the OP having one post and people flamming him, I still stick by this until these type of one 1st thread and never come back post change from the norm. I don't think folks are really flamming but if anyone has been on this board for a while this has become all too common and I will say 99.9% percent of these 1st time rant, complain and tirade OP's never come back to answer or clarify anything they said that didn't really make since! This is JMHO!

The OP made comments, that's all. I'm sure he did not expect the kind of remarks made to him on this thread. It's no wonder many members refuse to post on these boards any more.

<snip>

Maybe his group was told to tag their luggage with their flight tags and it would be taken care of along with their airport transfer the next day. He did write that during the morning of disembarkation, they were routed from the theater (or where ever they were told to gather), directly to the bus, and then to the airport - and that he didn't believe "luggage" had been brought off the ship.

He also wrote that at the airport he realized his large piece of luggage had not been on the bus, that he had tried calling the local agent, other numbers, to see if the luggage was still on the ship, but was not successful. So, he assumed it would catch up to him. I guess I would have done the same.

<snip>

p.s. On my recent cruise on the Grandeur,

<snip>

The morale of this story - luggage gets lost for unknown, and uncontrollable circumstances, and no one knows why.....

A nice post and I'm with you with the sometimes not-too-friendly responses that you see. But that's the nature of an internet forum, and it's sometimes not all that easy to interpret tone by simply reading words on a screen.

I think the OP's pedantic lawyer speak is in part what has brought on the flames.

I've reread the OP's post, and nowhere do I see that he was routed from the waiting area (or theater as you said). He mentions getting on a bus and then right to the airport. By bus I assume he means the RCI airport shuttle. It's been a while since I've docked at Civitavecchia, but I'm almost sure that we had to go through some official reentry process. I don't think we just dinged our seapass cards for the last time and got off the ship and into our cab. And certainly we picked up our luggage as we got off the ship. So I'm wondering why the OP seemed to be able to take some other exit off the ship and directly into the waiting bus.

Is it possible that the OP did early self-disembarkation? And maybe that's why the bags weren't there? Too many questions to ask and wonder about. How many bags did he have? Did he carry off any of his own? Did other members of his party do the same as him, leave the bags outside the night before, not pick them up in the terminal, and they somehow made it home?

I think if I was missing a bag, I would do everything possible to get back to the port and look for it, although it would entail a costly cab fee and depending on departure time it might not be an option.

Bags do get lost, as you've noted on your Grandeur cruise. Happens ALL the time. DW didn't get her luggage until after 9 pm on our Oasis cruise. We went to the naughty room three times, guest services three times to look at the bags that had no tags, and our room countless times hoping and praying that it would show up. Finally it did. Who knows where it was.

For our 54 day trip next yr, with cruises and land trip I would love to know how to pack 54 days into a rollaway carry on luggage. Better go take that packing class next week. :)
Easy, you have a lot of laundry done, and you don't worry about repeating outfits.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

O Ye of Little Faith. About a half an hour ago, I received a call from the Travel insurance company. They and RCCL have reached an agreement to ship my suitcase back, at no cost to me. and as to the skeptics out there who, like RCCL and other experienced travelers- I've only cruised twice, this being No 2. - what I reported is exactly what happened. Many of you have taken the same position RCCL tried with me, i.e. to tell me it was my fault, presumably on their understanding(or not) how many if not most cruises and ports work - yet without a clue regarding what happened in my specific circumstances. One of the court cases I cited to them found that that won't do - even if everyone else gets their suitcase, and I don't know that everyone else did, only the bailee(here the cruisline) is in a position to know what ahppened to mine and why I did not receive it. They were the last to have custody of it, not me, so it could have been misplaced, sent to the wrong location, kept on the boat somewhere, etc. Its up to them to figure it out not me. And, as I reported after doing bunches of online research, there are no customs stations at that port, we did not pass thru or go near any terminal, and online sites of limousine & other carriers advertise they can drive right up to the boat, saving passengers a walk, and then drive them directly to the airport. So if there are customs, terminals etc, how could they provide such service?

And the points many have not considered is?

why were we directed onto our assigned bus, and driven off, and never advised to be sure we had grabbed our suitcases, etc etc

why did RCCL, before disembarkment, not say besure to grap your suitcase outside on the dock before getting on the bus

I'm glad it worked out for you. But maybe you could clarify your statements highlighted in red?

As you said, it was only your second cruise. So maybe you are willing to admit that the situation was in part caused by your lack of cruise experience? A little of that will go a long way with the people here, as they've jumped on you because it seems like this was something that would easily have been avoided if you were aware of the departure scenario.

I also would like to know if you really did indeed ding out your seapass card and then just walk 20 feet to get on the bus. No terminal to walk through? How is this possible?

And what happened with the other members of your party? What did they do with their luggage and getting on the bus? Surely if you don't know what everybody did, at least you would know what your other traveling party members did as you would have talked about it at some point during this debacle.

I'm glad it worked out for you. But maybe you could clarify your statements highlighted in red?

As you said, it was only your second cruise. So maybe you are willing to admit that the situation was in part caused by your lack of cruise experience? A little of that will go a long way with the people here, as they've jumped on you because it seems like this was something that would easily have been avoided if you were aware of the departure scenario.

I also would like to know if you really did indeed ding out your seapass card and then just walk 20 feet to get on the bus. No terminal to walk through? How is this possible?

And what happened with the other members of your party? What did they do with their luggage and getting on the bus? Surely if you don't know what everybody did, at least you would know what your other traveling party members did as you would have talked about it at some point during this debacle.

It is a very small, tent like terminal and about a 50 foot walk (through that "terminal") to the bus stop. There is no customs to be gone through, you do just ping your card and then walk off, cross a 15 foot or so section of pier, go into the tent/terminal and through to the other side and there is the bus stop. No customs, agents, etc--that much is true.

You can easily see the buses through the open doorways as you are leaving the ship--which is why I can imagine that someone might not have noticed that the luggage is inside that small building, off to the right, but unless things have changed dramatically since last month, there is indeed a building to go through.

We've used private tours there that "drive right up to teh port" and what that means, is right up to that little buildings, INSIDE the gated port area--and saving you the shuttle bus (free) or walk (allowed from where RCI usually docks, but not from all berths) to get out of the not publicly accessible port area. It does not mean, not requiring you to walk through the little building--which does have armed guards and customs officers there--though I have never seen them make anyone stop.

First, about an hour ago I posted an update. Insurer and RCCL have agreed to ship me my suitcase at their cost. More importantly, you are mistaken in your comments, from a legal standpoint, Ideally, of course, a passenger should claim his or her luggage upon disembarking a ship. But not all ports are set up the same way, not all unloading procedures are the same, and let's face it, cruiselines screwup. If one is told to get on a bus, and luggage is later loaded by port stewards, one home and assumes one luggage is loaded there, too. I deally the luggage is unloaded from the ship and place next to the bus before people are directed to get on the bus. That did not happen in my case. I'm certain after the fact that luggage had not been unloaded when we were loaded on my bus. It was the first to be loaded with passengers so would make sense that luggage had not taken off ship before we were directed into the bus.

But main point is, that you are accepting the cruisleine posture, that is passenger does not have all luggage in hand before going to next destination, it is their negligence. That's simply false at law, and as a practical matter. If luggage is not available to take along, or if someone has overseas flight or some other connection, what is passenger to do if his/her luggage is not unloaded and can't be found. Just forget those other arrangements til it is found, if it is found. No. And as I posted, legal burden is on cruiseline to deliver over luggage or make available at a point where passenger cannot possibly overlook it.

For all I know, a steward placed my suitcase on one of the ten other buses waiting next to the boat. How does one find his/her bag in that situation, assuming one's bus has not already left for the airport.

My travel agent recommended putting the suitcase in the hall so RCCL could take off boat. In this case, a good idea, because it was heavy and I had two smaller bags to carry. Once RCCL picked it up, thye undertook the responsibility to be sure I received it the following morning. Obviously, they failed to do that. Under American law, that makes it their fault and their responsibility. And it suggests they need to come up with a better system to be sure everyone has his/her luggage before the board buses or whatever to leave the port.

Finally, I suspect this happens on all the other cruiselines and they all respond the way RCCL did. But givewn the comments I've seen to my posting, they know they can because apparently most passengers are misinformed about their legal rights.

First, about an hour ago I posted an update. Insurer and RCCL have agreed to ship me my suitcase at their cost. More importantly, you are mistaken in your comments, from a legal standpoint, Ideally, of course, a passenger should claim his or her luggage upon disembarking a ship. But not all ports are set up the same way, not all unloading procedures are the same, and let's face it, cruiselines screwup. If one is told to get on a bus, and luggage is later loaded by port stewards, one home and assumes one luggage is loaded there, too. I deally the luggage is unloaded from the ship and place next to the bus before people are directed to get on the bus. That did not happen in my case. I'm certain after the fact that luggage had not been unloaded when we were loaded on my bus. It was the first to be loaded with passengers so would make sense that luggage had not taken off ship before we were directed into the bus.

But main point is, that you are accepting the cruisleine posture, that is passenger does not have all luggage in hand before going to next destination, it is their negligence. That's simply false at law, and as a practical matter. If luggage is not available to take along, or if someone has overseas flight or some other connection, what is passenger to do if his/her luggage is not unloaded and can't be found. Just forget those other arrangements til it is found, if it is found. No. And as I posted, legal burden is on cruiseline to deliver over luggage or make available at a point where passenger cannot possibly overlook it.

For all I know, a steward placed my suitcase on one of the ten other buses waiting next to the boat. How does one find his/her bag in that situation, assuming one's bus has not already left for the airport.

My travel agent recommended putting the suitcase in the hall so RCCL could take off boat. In this case, a good idea, because it was heavy and I had two smaller bags to carry. Once RCCL picked it up, thye undertook the responsibility to be sure I received it the following morning. Obviously, they failed to do that. Under American law, that makes it their fault and their responsibility. And it suggests they need to come up with a better system to be sure everyone has his/her luggage before the board buses or whatever to leave the port.

Finally, I suspect this happens on all the other cruiselines and they all respond the way RCCL did. But givewn the comments I've seen to my posting, they know they can because apparently most passengers are misinformed about their legal rights.

But you still haven't answered the question of what happened to the other bags of the members of your traveling party. Did they also leave the suitcase outside the night before and it somehow made its way to the airport bus?

RCI takes the responsibility to make sure that they get your suitcase from outside your cabin the night before and delivers it safely to the dock where it is your responsibility to then pick it up and make sure it gets to the airport (unless you sign up for Luggage Valet, which apparently is not available in Europe).

I think your legalese and inability to admit that some of this was caused by your inexperience is what has gotten all the posters here all riled up against you. You might find that a little contriteness goes a long way....

Archived