Cash???

When was the change made from paying cash on board to having everything charged to an onboard account? Anyone remember the first time they used a card rather than cash?

I'm reading Burning Cold and it is mentioned people were paying for their drinks in cash. Got me thinking about when the change was made.

When was the change made from paying cash on board to having everything charged to an onboard account? Anyone remember the first time they used a card rather than cash?

I'm reading Burning Cold and it is mentioned people were paying for their drinks in cash. Got me thinking about when the change was made.

about 20 years ago, remember some where you could do either.

• 2 weeks later...

On our Costa Riveria cruise in '87 you could pay cash or set up an acount and sign for everything. They added a 10% tip if you signed for drinks. You were required to settle your account before leaving the ship.

On our Costa Riveria cruise in '87 you could pay cash or set up an acount and sign for everything. They added a 10% tip if you signed for drinks. You were required to settle your account before leaving the ship.

I did same ship that year( I think), still a fan of Costa

My first cruise on Carnival in 1991, we did have a "sail and sign" paper card, but we also could pay cash. I was 18 and could drink. I remember using the card for some purchases, but since it was on my dad's account, I also paid cash for other purchases. At least I think I did....

• 3 weeks later...

On the QE2 in 1982 was the first time I registered a credit card. This was still before you got a card with a magnetic strip. I believe you just told them your cabin number and signed, leaving your own tip. No automatic 15%.

On my previous trips in the 70s, I paid cash on the spot for everything.

Archived