PBI to FLL?

Algebralovr

It is $142 each was less expensive for me to fly to PBI instead of FLL this February. For that amount, I'm seriously considering it.

Can I get some opinions on the best way for us to get from PBI to FLL? The hotel we are using the night before has a few shuttle from FLL to the hotel. They do, however, charge for parking, so if I rent a car, I won't be keeping it very long.

The flights do require me to change planes instead of non-stop each way, but I'm seriously considering it since the travel time isn't that much more, and WN has a decent on time and baggage history.

I'm considering tri-rail to FLL, any idea on the cost of a cab from PBI to Tri-Rail station? Would it be a horrid trip on the commuter train to the FLL-airport station?

We are able to carry our bags and do steps no problem. I might do a rental car on the way home, since the flight home doesn't leave PBI until about 4:30pm

I'm considering tri-rail to FLL, any idea on the cost of a cab from PBI to Tri-Rail station? Would it be a horrid trip on the commuter train to the FLL-airport station?

We are able to carry our bags and do steps no problem. I might do a rental car on the way home, since the flight home doesn't leave PBI until about 4:30pm

I'd skip the tri rail. There isn't anywhere for you to put your luggage, it is more for commuters. Kind of a long, pia way to get from point a to point b.

Rent a car at PBI (the drive is an hour or less, depending upon where your hotel is located), drop your bags and the rest of your party at the hotel, and then return the car to FLL and shuttle to your hotel. Easy! :)

It is $142 each was less expensive for me to fly to PBI instead of FLL this February. For that amount, I'm seriously considering it.

Can I get some opinions on the best way for us to get from PBI to FLL? The hotel we are using the night before has a few shuttle from FLL to the hotel. They do, however, charge for parking, so if I rent a car, I won't be keeping it very long.

The flights do require me to change planes instead of non-stop each way, but I'm seriously considering it since the travel time isn't that much more, and WN has a decent on time and baggage history.

Where are you flying from and what airline?

I'm pulling up fares on Southwest nonstop from MCI-FLL right now from $149-$159 each way. And your bags fly free.

St Louis is a bit higher at $212 each way, but both these fares fluctuate almost daily. I fly regularly between FLL and both cities year round so I know the price of the St Louis fare will drop sooner or later and so will the fare from MCI. I know October is not February, but I just booked a roundtrip to STL for $105 each way with a return in November.

If you don't take my advice above about flying Southwest from St Louis or Kansas City and you do actually fly into PBI and you do take the Tri-Rail, then I would book either Homewood Suites or Fairfield Inn on Griffin Road as your pre-cruise hotel. Both are right across Griffin Road from the Tri-Rail station.

Take tri rail.

Free shuttle from PBI to train station.

There are luggage racks in every car.

Trains are every hour on weekends and holidays now.

Get off at Fort Laud. airport station, there are taxis at the station.

$15 ride to port everglades.

Or you can get off at the Broward Blvd. station. It's closer to the Princess terminal.

Use the 17th street causeway entrance.

This is an Amtrak station, Taxis are there as well.

Its about an $80 cab ride from PBI to port Everglades.

Tri rail is $5p.p. on weekends.

Edited by fireofficer5

Take tri rail.

Free shuttle from PBI to train station.

There are luggage racks in every car.

Trains are every hour on weekends and holidays now.

Get off at Fort Laud. airport station, there are taxis at the station.

$15 ride to port everglades.

Or you can get off at the Broward Blvd. station. It's closer to the Princess terminal.

Use the 17th street causeway entrance.

This is an Amtrak station, Taxis are there as well.

Its about an $80 cab ride from PBI to port Everglades.

Tri rail is $5p.p. on weekends.

The OP is planning to spend the night in Ft Lauderdale so getting off at either of those stops will probably not work for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advise, all.

MCI is about 5-6 hours away. STL in about 2 hours away. Plus, I think I can leave my car with someone inSTL and not pay parking. Hopefully, at least!

As of right now, I went ahead and booked the STL to FLL flights, but I'll keep watching for price drops and keep an open mind about PBI. The non-stop STL to FLL has a magic all its own. I used WN points to book, so it is easy to adjust if the price drops.

We are doing something similar in December. We are flying from RFD (Rockford, IL) to PGD (Punta Gorda, FL) instead of flying directly to Miami.

We like the idea of the smaller airports....less people, no lines.

It's a 2.5 hour drive from Punta Gorda to Miami......we are renting an SUV for one day from Budget for $44.00. So now we will have a car to get us to the Port and we don't have to worry about a taxi or shuttle the morning of the cruise

We are doing something similar in December. We are flying from RFD (Rockford, IL) to PGD (Punta Gorda, FL) instead of flying directly to Miami.

We like the idea of the smaller airports....less people, no lines.

It's a 2.5 hour drive from Punta Gorda to Miami......we are renting an SUV for one day from Budget for $44.00. So now we will have a car to get us to the Port and we don't have to worry about a taxi or shuttle the morning of the cruise

PBI is West Palm Beach.

Kirkland is only about 75 miles from Midway so why don't you fly into FLL? All Southwest fares were bumped up a couple of days ago and the fare is $220 each way from MDW to FLL, but they will drop again in a few days.

PBI is West Palm Beach.

Kirkland is only about 75 miles from Midway so why don't you fly into FLL? All Southwest fares were bumped up a couple of days ago and the fare is $220 each way from MDW to FLL, but they will drop again in a few days.

Because getting to Midway Airport is a hassle plus the flights to FLL stop in Atlanta on AirTran. Not doing that again....uuugghhh. We are flying on Allegiant Airlines out of Rockford and the price is $136.00 per person plus $50.00 for 2 checked bags.

RFD is 15 minutes from our house. Midway Airport is close to a 2 hour drive with traffic.

Our return flight is out of New Orleans

No, that is incorrect...On December 1st there are 5 nonstop flights on Southwest from MDW to FLL.

I'm not talking about Southwest. I won't fly Southwest Airlines. And if I can fly out of my local airport that's where we're going to fly out of.

No, that is incorrect...On December 1st there are 5 nonstop flights on Southwest from MDW to FLL.

By the way....how much are the flights on Southwest?? I'm sure they are more than $185.00 (which is what our flight plus one checked bag will cost us on Allegiant)

Just thought I'd put in my $.02. When flying from the midwest to ANYWHERE in February or any other winter month, I'll always take a nonstop. Even places like Atlanta can fall victim to ice storms, etc. in the winter. Once I'm wheels-up out of Chicago (I LOVE Southwest Airlines, btw) I'm happy and know that I'll get there.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

By the way....how much are the flights on Southwest?? I'm sure they are more than $185.00 (which is what our flight plus one checked bag will cost us on Allegiant)

First you should know that Southwest has owned AirTran for over two years now and are in the final stages of merging.

Southwest fares all over the country were bumped up for some reason for this weekend, but I'm sure they will drop next week. Right now nonstop from MDW to FLL is $230 and each passenger is allowed to check two bags for free. Again, those fares are sure to drop.

Personally, I absolutely hate flying any airline other than Southwest.

Edited by Florissouri

First you should know that Southwest has owned AirTran for over two years now and are in the final stages of merging.

Southwest fares all over the country were bumped up for some reason for this weekend, but I'm sure they will drop next week. Right now nonstop from MDW to FLL is $230 and each passenger is allowed to check two bags for free. Again, those fares are sure to drop.

Personally, I absolutely hate flying any airline other than Southwest.

Yeah I'm well aware of the Southwest/AirTran merger. I guess it's safe to say that we can agree to disagree. We all have our preferences when it comes to airlines and flying. Well that $230.00 per person is way more than what I paid so I am quite happy with our decision to fly to PGD.

Just thought I'd put in my $.02. When flying from the midwest to ANYWHERE in February or any other winter month, I'll always take a nonstop. Even places like Atlanta can fall victim to ice storms, etc. in the winter. Once I'm wheels-up out of Chicago (I LOVE Southwest Airlines, btw) I'm happy and know that I'll get there.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

For us in the winter even getting to Chicago can be impossible so that's another reason why flying out of Rockford makes so much more sense. We don't have to worry about finding someone to drive us to ORD or MDW.

Yeah I'm well aware of the Southwest/AirTran merger. I guess it's safe to say that we can agree to disagree. We all have our preferences when it comes to airlines and flying. Well that $230.00 per person is way more than what I paid so I am quite happy with our decision to fly to PGD.

As I said, those fares will drop. Even if you book at a higher price on Southwest and the fares drop, you can rebook without a penalty to the new, lower price. You won't get a cash refund, but you'll get credits you can use on future flights.

But it's going to cost you about $100 for the rental car after taxes and gas and you still have to drive 2 1/2-3 hours.

Smaller airports like Rockford are also more likely to be closed or have flights delayed for hours in the event of bad weather.

Edited by Florissouri

• 6 months later...
Too bad I'm on wrigley80's ignore list because now I won't be able to tell them Southwest nonstop fares from MDW to FLL have dropped to $177 with all taxes! I'll bet they'll drop even more than that, though.

I wish Southwest had direct flights from Detroit (DTW) to FLL. We don't like to change planes.