2007 Syndey-SF/LA? - Which ship?

deadzone1003

I am quite interested in the 2007 Australia to America cruises. There are two of them, Sydney to San Francisco aboard the Sapphire Princess leaving on April 7th and Sydney to LA aboard the Dawn Princess leaving on March 12th. The itinerary is quite similiar, a 30-day cruise across the Pacific visiting various South Pacific islands. I am in my 50's and my wife is in her 40's. Which ship would you recommend and why? Also, what would be the most inexpensive cabin would you recommend for a 30-day cruise?

For a TransPacific Crossing, definitely the larger ship of the two, the Sapphire Princess. We did this cruise from LA to Sydney on the Star and the larger ships seem to do better in rough seas (which you do often times hit) and afford many more activities with all of those sea days.

I'm afraid I disagree totally with the above poster re which class of ship will ride better, should the waters become rough.

Grand class ships do not have a fine hull (length/beam ratio), are relatively flat bottomed, and catch the wind on the beam.

Grand class ships were designed for relatively mild seas, while Sun class were designed for open ocean.

Sun class have a finer hull length/beam ratio, more keel, and will ride better in force 8 and above seas/winds.

In mild seas, you probably can't tell the difference, but in rough seas, I would much prefer to be on a Sun class.

As an aside, we were on Golden Princess, 8-02, trans-Atlantic, in force 8 seas/wind, had bow slap spray raining down on our balcony on Caribe deck, several windows along Promenade deck shattered due to shp's flexing and fighting for seaway, and subsequently were 6 hours late into NYC.

A trans-Pacific, 9-00, on the late lamented Sky Princess, San Francisco to Sydney, was like a millpond most of the way across.

Gross generalization of course, but the Pacific usually is smoother than the Atlantic.

Travel can be an adventure.

Also, what would be the most inexpensive cabin would you recommend for a 30-day cruise?

What you pay for a cabin is what you feel it's worth. For a 30 day cruise I want a mini; I need the extra space/comfort on a long cruise. But, there are people who are very happy with inside cabins too. Let your pocketbook be your guide.

Arlene

Druke-We did Hawaii to Tahiti on the old Fair Princess (much smaller ship) and the LA to Sydney on the Star. I would pick the Star for it's stability anyday over the smaller ship. :rolleyes: Also, as I said before, the activiites are very limited on the Sun Class ships for a 30 day cruise. But then, that is just what we have seen on our voyages first hand. :)

Toto

That is fine - we choose to disagree.

The Fair Princess was but 30,000+ GRT, and Sun class ships are 76,000GRT, and should not really be considered small. When the Sun class debuted, they were the largest passenger ships in the world!

Reference scheduled activities, yes, larger ships may have more - but some of us are self-sufficient, and are fully capable of entertaining ourselves without need of ship's staff. Give me a good book, and good people-watching spot, and I am happy.

Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?

I give you another choice. P & O always sends two ships on a world cruise. We did the Oriania in 96 from SF to Sydney in 22 days and it was great. I get literature on it yearly and it can be rather economical. One ship will go east and the other west. They both stop at Sydney and either SF or LA. These ships are designed for this type of travel. it will be in January or February.

One other thing to keep in mind. Since the Sapphire is larger, it's probably less expensive and you will find the cabins in all catgegories a bit larger (except the mini suites and suites). I loved the Dawn on my 15 day Panama Canal cruise, but for a longer cruise with more sea days, I'd go for the larger ship. That said, it may be that we are looking for entirely different things so go with your priorities.

Toronto

Coral and Island Princess have completely different hull designs than Grand class & Sun class. Not that it makes much difference, but Coral & Island were built in France, while Grand class & Sun class were built in Italy (with exception of Sapphire & Diamond, built in Japan).

Coral and Island, when first introduced, were "rollers", but modifications to the rudder seems to have corrected the problem. Coral and Island have very good length/beam ratio, and in theory should do well in rough waters - but the only time I was on Coral the Pacific San Francisco North was very smooth, so I have no first hand knowledge of her riding capabilities in rough water.

Richard Stein above mentions P&O and their world cruises. Depending on the year's itinerary, it is sometimes possible to "boomerang" to Australia from the Left Coast, going out on one ship and returning on the other. Been toying with that idea for years.

Something to consider between the two ships is the Cruise Director and staff. A creative CD can have a lot of activities going on where the size of the ship doesn't mean a thing. A large ship might be larger but the space per passenger might not be any different from a smaller ship.

For example, on our Regal cruise to/from Hawaii with 10 sea days, there was constantly something to do. I had a hard time finding the time to do everything I wanted to.

This is one reason why I prefer the smaller ships, particularly for longer cruises: it's easier to meet people and often, its your fellow passengers and the people you meet who can make a cruise exceptional.

I am quite interested in the 2007 Australia to America cruises. There are two of them, Sydney to San Francisco aboard the Sapphire Princess leaving on April 7th and Sydney to LA aboard the Dawn Princess leaving on March 12th. The itinerary is quite similiar, a 30-day cruise across the Pacific visiting various South Pacific islands. I am in my 50's and my wife is in her 40's. Which ship would you recommend and why? Also, what would be the most inexpensive cabin would you recommend for a 30-day cruise?

As long as it is cruising and you enjoy yourself it wont matter which ship. We are booked on the Sapphire Sydney to SF 2007. There is also a roll call already for this cruise if you are interested. Aussie Bob

Archived