Tipping with dollars

silversurf

Are the crew happy to accept US dollars as a tip? Don't want to carry around a lot of £1 coins and we're too mean to give £5 for a small service.

You do not usually tip as you go, you tip at the end of the cruise. Or you leave the Auto Tip on and do not need to tip any extra.

If you have room service you can tip then a pound or two is fine.

Remember the ship is cash free.

Gan Canny

Dai

On Celebrity we have learned to take quite a lot of 1 dollar notes ( as recommended by US travellers) and that works well for cabin service etc etc and we do tip as we go, not just at the end.

Not sure on P&O though to be honest. At the end of the day any money is better than none ! :) If we were in a hotel in Greece / Italy / Spain where they are more used to tipping than in the UK we would use Euros.

On Celebrity we have learned to take quite a lot of 1 dollar notes ( as recommended by US travellers) and that works well for cabin service etc etc and we do tip as we go, not just at the end.

Not sure on P&O though to be honest. At the end of the day any money is better than none ! :) If we were in a hotel in Greece / Italy / Spain where they are more used to tipping than in the UK we would use Euros.

Tipping as you go may be the thing to do on American ships but not on P&O, as I said above I have only ever heard of people tipping for room service.

In the bars the tip is built into the price of the drink. It is not added on at the end as in US ships.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

Hi, forgive us, I suppose we are getting too Americanised ! ;)

Thinking about it we have tended to tip re bar bills etc on top of what we have already paid, by adding a bit to the paper bill at the end of an evening - if this makes sense? We've also left additional tips for staff on our last night as appropriate either in an envelope or personally.

:)

Tipping as you go may be the thing to do on American ships but not on P&O, as I said above I have only ever heard of people tipping for room service.

In the bars the tip is built into the price of the drink. It is not added on at the end as in US ships.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

Dai, I think its personal choice if you want to tip as you go on P&O I always take £1 £2 coins and often tip a helpful waiter after he/she has delivered drinks.

Archived