Port of Baltimore

LANDLADY

Looking for some help or guidance. has anyone ever taken the train to Baltimore? How did you get to Port after arrival at train station? I see their is a train to Baltimore and a train to Baltimore airport(BWI). Does anyone know where the stations are in relationship to the PORT?

Mobility issues (torn meniscus) has created a problem with us driving to Baltimore for our cruise so I am looking for some options. Coming from NYC. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I also posted this in section regarding East Coast Departures. Leaving in a week, so panicking a little bit.

I would think that you would want the Baltimore station not the one at BWI. It should only be about a 15 minute cab ride from the Baltimore station to the pier. It could be longer if there is traffic (Ravens game, O's game, etc.).

You could go to BWI. There are probably cruise shuttles / buses leaving from BWI either independently operated or operated by the cruise line.

No personal experience here, just a little knowledge of Baltimore. Others with direct experience with either route may be better sources if they chime in.

I have never taken the train to either Baltimore or BWI, but several of the airport hotels offer cruise parking deals and you can see the port/ships from the highway nearby. I would train to BWI and then either spend the night at a hotel offering a cruise package including free shuttles (check both [URL="http://www.parksleepfly.com"]www.parksleepfly.com[/URL] and [URL="http://www.stay123.com"]www.stay123.com[/URL]) or, if your train arrives at BWI early enough to be safe, just taxi straight to the ship from the airport. Good luck! :)

I have taken the train to both BWI and Baltimore. The Baltimore train arrives downtown at Penn Station where there are taxis available. The train to BWI is a bit trickier because it's a bit of distance to BWI, so you'd have to take the shuttle to get from the train to the airport. There are obviously taxis and shuttles once you get to the airport. The shuttles from the station to the airport run every 15 to 25 minutes.

We took the train from CT to Baltimore last April (2012) for our spring break cruise on the Pride. Like mentioned above, you want the Baltimore city location, not the airport. We then took a taxi to the port, and I want to say it was 15-20 cab ride. I think for 3 of us, it was MAYBE $25? Hope this helps. :D

[quote name='LANDLADY']Looking for some help or guidance. has anyone ever taken the train to Baltimore? How did you get to Port after arrival at train station? I see their is a train to Baltimore and a train to Baltimore airport(BWI). Does anyone know where the stations are in relationship to the PORT?

Mobility issues (torn meniscus) has created a problem with us driving to Baltimore for our cruise so I am looking for some options. Coming from NYC. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I also posted this in section regarding East Coast Departures. Leaving in a week, so panicking a little bit.[/QUOTE]

I've used the train in Baltimore lots of times. Coming from NYC, I would get off at Penn Station in Baltimore. Loads of cabs as soon as you exit the station... take one of them to the port...depending upon which way the cabby goes (I'd ask him to go thru downtown--closer than the beltway) you are only about 15-20min away. If you stay on the train until BWI, you will have passed the port and will probably costs more coming from the airport area. Just my 2 cents! Good luck and have a great cruise!

Thanks everyone for the information. Nice to have some options. Doesn't sound too difficult just depends on whether my husband even wants to attempt to make the trip. We are scheduled to leave August 11th, don't have trip insurance and would hate to cancel...but not going to force him to do anything he doesn't think he can manage. Not worried once we are on board as wasn't planning on doing excursions anyway. Been on Pride before to these ports..it was just a nice little get away. Hope we make it.

Just a heads up about the train, make sure you check luggage restrictions. My original plan was to take Amtrak from NYC Penn Station to BAL Penn Station, but the train I need says "No Checked Baggage" & there is no way I can pack a weeks worth in a carry-on.
TeeTee

[quote name='JennN']I live in the area and the Baltimore Penn Station stop is closer. The cabs are right out front and is about 10-15 minute drive to Port. Plus, no airport origination fees.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if there are cabs readily available at the Greyhound bus stop on 2110 Haines Street?
Thanks
TT

[quote name='teetee6263']Just a heads up about the train, make sure you check luggage restrictions. My original plan was to take Amtrak from NYC Penn Station to BAL Penn Station, but the train I need says "No Checked Baggage" & there is no way I can pack a weeks worth in a carry-on.
TeeTee[/quote]

You are allowed to take a 2 28 inch suit cases per person on with you. Use a Red Cap porter in both New York and Baltimore Penn stations. They will get you on board early (in NYC),and place you luggage in the car for you. It is customary to tip for the service.

(It helps to remind the conductor to radio ahead when approaching Baltimore to have a Red Cap waiting for you.)

Aloha,

John

[quote name='teetee6263']Do you know if there are cabs readily available at the Greyhound bus stop on 2110 Haines Street?
Thanks
TT[/quote]

Yes, there will be cabs waiting at the Greyhound terminal.

The bus station is only 3.5 miles from the cruise port. (Penn station is 5 miles away, and BWI is 11.5-13 depending on which way you go.)

Aloha,

John

[quote name='jcl410']You are allowed to take a 2 28 inch suit cases per person on with you. Use a Red Cap porter in both New York and Baltimore Penn stations. They will get you on board early (in NYC),and place you luggage in the car for you. It is customary to tip for the service.

(It helps to remind the conductor to radio ahead when approaching Baltimore to have a Red Cap waiting for you.)

Aloha,

John[/QUOTE]

There are racks on each car of the train for you to store your luggage. We take the regional train from Wilmington to Boston and it is pretty easy to maneuver. I would ask for the Red Cap, but they are only available certain hours of the day--we found this out the hard way on a late night trip. I'd make sure before you reserve your tickets.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]It is about [B]12 miles[/B] to the Cruise Maryland terminal. It is all via interstate highways [I-195 and I 95]. The fare between the airport and the cruise terminal is regulated by the Public Service Commission. If it hasn't been changed recently [B][COLOR=red]the fare is $35.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]It is not regulated from the port back to the terminal. Should be close to the same.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived