Caribbean Cruise on Carnival - Excursion suggestions?? Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay

Fire_Kitten

Hello. My husband and I are traveling on Carnival Glory in November of this year... I am not sure what type of excursions to look into....

Do I want hiking and sight seeing?

Do I want beach days?

How do I choose what the best excursion for the best stop is?

We are going to:

Cozumel, Mexico

Belize

Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

I like to do a bit of both!

What I have enjoyed on these islands is:

Cozumel: Beach! Check the Cozumel board because they have a few different beach experiences (all inclusive, family etc)

Belize: we did a Ruins tour, absolutely awesome

Roatan: can't remember the name but we went to a resort on a tiny island right near the ship that was so peaceful. It had a lovely pool but also a small beach for ocean access.

Grand Caymen: we've done snorkeling, swimming with stingrays, and just lying on seven mile beach.

There are so many things to do at all the islands and you could do as much or as little as you want activity wise. I'd recommend checking out the ports of call page for each island and seeing what others have done.

Cozumel: Swimming with the dolphins / seals / etc - that's one option.

Grand Caymen: we've done snorkeling, swimming with stingrays, and just lying on seven mile beach also. We especially like going to the beach and riding wave runners because the water is like bath water.

When you get off the ship there will be dozens of private excursion operators right on the pier that you can book with.

Hello. My husband and I are traveling on Carnival Glory in November of this year... I am not sure what type of excursions to look into....

Do I want beach days?

We are going to:

Cozumel, Mexico

Belize

I've been to all of these more than once.

In Cozumel, we've taken a taxi to the beach or gone downtown to shop and go to Margaritaville. This is one of my favorite ports and I don't really see the need for an excursion in Cozumel.

In Belize, the only excursion I've done is the Mayan ruins through Carnival.

In Roatan, we've hired a driver for the day. We've also just gone to Mahogany Beach. I love Roatan!

In Grand Cayman, book an independent stingray excursion. We loved stingraysailing dot com.

Hello,

We have hired victor bodden tours for Roatan,Loved it. Actually we have done this twice. For Belize we went on a atv jungle tour with cave-tubing dot com. We had a blast so wish we would have booked two sessions instead of one. Our family of 12 ,all ages loved this. Yhony was great and his guys are awesome. Cozumel we have done paradise beach twice and love it as well. Hope this helps.:o:o:o

I like to do a bit of both!

What I have enjoyed on these islands is:

Cozumel: Beach! Check the Cozumel board because they have a few different beach experiences (all inclusive, family etc)

Belize: we did a Ruins tour, absolutely awesome

Roatan: can't remember the name but we went to a resort on a tiny island right near the ship that was so peaceful. It had a lovely pool but also a small beach for ocean access.

Grand Caymen: we've done snorkeling, swimming with stingrays, and just lying on seven mile beach.

There are so many things to do at all the islands and you could do as much or as little as you want activity wise. I'd recommend checking out the ports of call page for each island and seeing what others have done.

The name of the resort in Roatan is Maya Key

We did a Victor Bodden tour at Roatan, he has several to choose from and is very easy to make reservations for through email. Pay when you arrive so no worries about credit card info or trying to get a refund if the ship misses the port for some reason.

Belize, I highly recommend the cave tubing with cavetubing.bz. Lunch is provided and is delicious! Wonderful time! DH says we are doing that one again on our next trip. DD and SIL will be doing this one next month on their cruise. Once again, easy to reserve through email and much cheaper than the cruise lines excursion. You pay, after the float when you stop for lunch. Belize is a tender port and no beach unless you book a beach excursion, just FYI.

Cozumel, first trip, we shopped and went to a beach club. Second trip we booked an excursion for the Mexican Museum, primitive side of the island, Tequila Farm and a some shopping. All of it was interesting, it was a very long day made more tedious by others on the tour not getting back to the bus on time. For us, Cozumel is shopping, beach and relax port.

Have not made it to Grand Cayman yet so can't help you there.

Grand Cayman - swim with the sting rays. We have used Island marketing to set up a tour that includes the rays and a few hours at the beach.

Cozumel - Nachi Cocum, a private resort which only takes 100 people a day; all you can drink and lots to eat; quiet; more adult oriented than kids, but you can rent jet skis, kayaks and go parasailing for an extra price; must be booked on line in advance

Belize - Chocolate Factory is right in the port area - you get to "make" [ie, add to ] your own chocolate bars. Mayan ruins are wonderful

In Roatan I would wait until you get off the ship there are tours right outside did a beach day for like $20 a person granted that was 8 years ago but they gave us an island tour, beach day, and stopped at a store so we could smuggle some rum back on board.

We had the same ports last cruise...what we did....

Grand Cayman: Turtle Farm, easily could have spent all day. Educational, swam with the turtles, walked the hiking trails, wandered through the aviary etc.. Then Seymour's Jerk Shack for mannish water, chicken etc.. and then picked up stewed cowsfeet for dinner on the ship in our room. Wanted to tour the brewery on the island and hit historic Pedro St. James, but no time....

Cozumel: wander the wild side of the island beaches. Get a cab, have have stop at his favorite street food vender, stop at local grocery to fill cooler with cheap local beer and get dropped off on wild beaches...walk for hours, lunch, drink and meet taxi at prearranged spot. Avoiding chain bars, tourist shops etc...

Belize City: Hit the brewery, then wandered into town, chatting with locals, drank some beer on the porch of a local, found a little diner serving gibnut, visted old church, chatted with school kids outside a school.

Roatan: avoided the West Bay/End area...wandered into the hills with a local guide, hiked a bit to some vistas, visited an orphanage, dropped off school supplies, ate some local balleadas, found a little bar which had guifidi to sample. Bought Honduran coffee and beer at local grocery for the day. Chatted with some local kids in a small almost shanty town.

Grand Cayman - swim with the sting rays. We have used Island marketing to set up a tour that includes the rays and a few hours at the beach.

Cozumel - Nachi Cocum, a private resort which only takes 100 people a day; all you can drink and lots to eat; quiet; more adult oriented than kids, but you can rent jet skis, kayaks and go parasailing for an extra price; must be booked on line in advance

Belize - Chocolate Factory is right in the port area - you get to "make" [ie, add to ] your own chocolate bars. Mayan ruins are wonderful

I am going to Belize in January and have no idea what to do. You did mention "chocolate factory" ... How do I find more info about booking this? Thank you for your help.

I am going to Belize in January and have no idea what to do. You did mention "chocolate factory" ... How do I find more info about booking this? Thank you for your help.

You just walk up, it is in the port area near the Wet Lizard, it is a small store. Here are a few pictures.

9433741699_05ea6bcae1.jpg

image by alrichards4003, on Flickr

9433741751_d7384e3e75.jpg

My suggestions for the ports would be as follows:

Cozumel: Mr. Sanchos's. We love doing the all-inclusive. You order food from a menu, not a buffet, all-inclusive drinks, the beach, the swim up bar. There are water toys that can be purchased for an extra fee. One year we did the tequila tasting, which was a lot of fun even though it was just the two of us. Last year we did the romance package which also included a 30 minute massage.

9274464143_36d0c65c40.jpg

Grand Cayman: The stingray sandbar, swimming with the stingrays.

Honduras: Maya Key. Pool, beach, mayan replica's, animal sanctuary.

Belize: Altun Ha ruins and River ride.

We had the same ports last cruise...what we did....

Grand Cayman: Turtle Farm, easily could have spent all day. Educational, swam with the turtles, walked the hiking trails, wandered through the aviary etc.. Then Seymour's Jerk Shack for mannish water, chicken etc.. and then picked up stewed cowsfeet for dinner on the ship in our room. Wanted to tour the brewery on the island and hit historic Pedro St. James, but no time....

Cozumel: wander the wild side of the island beaches. Get a cab, have have stop at his favorite street food vender, stop at local grocery to fill cooler with cheap local beer and get dropped off on wild beaches...walk for hours, lunch, drink and meet taxi at prearranged spot. Avoiding chain bars, tourist shops etc...

Belize City: Hit the brewery, then wandered into town, chatting with locals, drank some beer on the porch of a local, found a little diner serving gibnut, visted old church, chatted with school kids outside a school.

Roatan: avoided the West Bay/End area...wandered into the hills with a local guide, hiked a bit to some vistas, visited an orphanage, dropped off school supplies, ate some local balleadas, found a little bar which had guifidi to sample. Bought Honduran coffee and beer at local grocery for the day. Chatted with some local kids in a small almost shanty town.

Why did u avoid West end?

We avoided it, we did a quick drive by and heard about and witnessed ourselves that nearly everyone goes there. We did it to avoid crowds. Pretty sure...but not when someone else is sitting 6 feet from you.

Less authentic food, more tourist pricing, hounded by locals for massages is what my sister said she received by going to the West End on the same cruise we did. Plus, she said some beaches had a cost to enter? Our tour guide took us to a little gorgeous beach near the actual West End, just to eat lunch at....beautiful and FREE

We did this cruise on the Glory in 2011. In Coz we shopped a little at the port then took a taxi to Mr. sanchos but did not do the all inclusive since there were 8 of us. Enjoyed items and drinks off the menu and swam. Next time in Coz, I think it would be fun to do the Bus Bar Hop since it goes to the other side of the island.

In Grand Cayman, we also did a private excursion to Sting Ray city. Even my 75 year old mom had fun.

Belize, we went cave tubing (mom did not do this one). We have been to Belize twice and the first time we went snorkeling....amazing.

In Roatan, we stayed at Mahogany Bay and zip lined (mom too), but next time I would like to explore the country as I hear it is beautiful. MB is man made and although the water is amazing, I like to experience more natural settings. We stayed near the port since traveling with 8 does get a little expensive to book excursions.

Have fun on the Glory. Be sure to check out the fish and chips...floor above the buffet area. Many people don't know about it or find it late in their cruise.

No booking necessary. Just get off the ship (a very long tender ride!) and turn left. Walk down almost to the end of the shopping area and look for MoHo chocolates on the right. The tour takes maybe 30 minutes, then 15-20 minutes to personalize your chocolate bar. You have to come back to pick the chocolate up, in about an hour, which is enough time to check out the shops!

Do I want beach days?

We are going to:

Cozumel, Mexico

Belize

Since this is on the Cozumel Board, will say in Cozumel we very much enjoy going to Passion Island on an excursion offered though the ship.

Absolutely great way to spend the day! :D

LuLu

~~~~

We have been to these ports several times.

I have several reviews listed in my signature line that you can click on and it will give you tons of information about the place and TONS of pictures.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. :)

Archived