Transatlantic - cheaper to buy return flight

Tiggertastic

Thinking of doing a transatlantic that needs a flight from UK to Miami to embark but it is cheaper to buy a return ticket and not show up for the flight back than to purchase a one way ticket.

Can anyone recommend a way around this

Looking to go out either from Manchester (with a connection) or from Heathrow direct to Miami on either 18th or 19th April 2014.

I'd like to bring the price down (I know it helps out those on standby) but why pay more

cheers

Generally cruise lines have arrangements, such as Cruise Air, where one way flights are reasonably priced when purchased in connection with a repositioning. Then, there are lines, such as Aer Lingus and Icelandic, which offer reasonable one way fares. Finally, most frequent flyer programs allow one way awards - such one way trans-Atlantic flights seem to be the most advantageous way of using your miles.

Generally cruise lines have arrangements, such as Cruise Air, where one way flights are reasonably priced when purchased in connection with a repositioning. Then, there are lines, such as Aer Lingus and Icelandic, which offer reasonable one way fares. Finally, most frequent flyer programs allow one way awards - such one way trans-Atlantic flights seem to be the most advantageous way of using your miles.

Brilliant idea, why didn't I think of that, we have miles, not enough for a round trip but maybe enough to get there

you can certainly do "throw away" ticketing if you find it gives you the best price. Or a good price on a flight you would like to fly on (airline, times, routing, etc). Just don't make a habit of it, as you are technically violating the terms of your ticket.

Or look into the other options that have been presented.

The OP is already in Europe (UK) and is flying TA westward to embark and sail back eastward, I believe.

I missed that -- but the same concept applies: he gets a round trip, flies UK to Miami and cruises back in April. Then in October or November he cruises from Europe to Miiami then uses the return half of his air ticket to get home.

I missed that -- but the same concept applies: he gets a round trip, flies UK to Miami and cruises back in April. Then in October or November he cruises from Europe to Miiami then uses the return half of his air ticket to get home.

We have done that several times and it worked fine.

Got 2 TA's a year doing this:)

http://www.canadianaffair.ca/

We flew with this charter company on our TA last fall. You would want the reverse flights and I think it's worth a try to contact them.

As an example, we paid $550 from Vancouver to Gatwick and $300 home from Florida.

They are currently showing Manchester to Toronto for $429 and you should be able to find an airline to fly from Toronto to Florida for $200-$300 on sale. You could also use points for the TO to FL portion.

Archived