Hopefully 'Live' from Ocean Princess. 6-14 August

cinnamon

We have left Guernsey and are heading for Dartmouth. It did get dry for a while them drizzled again later. We were back onboard for a latish lunch in the buffet. Again very tasty well prepared food. St Peter Port is a lovely small town with lots if shops on cobbled slightly winding streets. Chain stores (including Marks and Spencers) plus lots of independent shops.

Our cabin is a standard outside on deck 4. Roomy enough to walk around the bed easily and with a 2 seated sofa. Bathroom very small as in all the R ships but adequate.

For some reason Formal night is tomorrow rather than today although the menu for dinner includes Surf n Turf.

We had to have the engineers today to mend our A/C unit after a very cold night but it us warming up now.

May pop back I. Here later although the Headliner show is after dinner.

Tables for two on the Ocean and Pacific come in two types.

One is really off by themselves. The other is inches away from a larger table.

For examples of each, go to http://fp.caribill.com/ and select the "Food" link.

In the upper left of picture 001 are two paintings on the wall. Beneath each is a table for two. These are off by themselves.

Picture 002 shows a table for six. In the lower left you can see part of another table. That is a table for two just inches away from the table for six.

Thank you so much for the link to your photos ---they're great. We like to have any early and quick dinner so we like to sit by ourselves.

We dropped anchor at 7.40 just outside the River Dart. Tendering began by 8.00 am. It is a beautiful morning, sunny and getting warmer. I am leading a group of 6, two couples from CC have joined us for the day. Our tender ride was on a local boat and he provided a commentary as we cruised up the river into Dartmouth.

Just on the dockside we bought tickets for the return Steam Train ride, preceded by a short ferry trip over the river

We dropped anchor at 7.40 just outside the River Dart. Tendering began by 8.00 am. It is a beautiful morning, sunny and getting warmer. I am leading a group of 6, two couples from CC have joined us for the day. Our tender ride was on a local boat and he provided a commentary as we cruised up the river into Dartmouth.

Just on the dockside we bought tickets for the return Steam Train ride, preceded by a short ferry trip over the river. It was £25.00 return for seniors

£27,00 for others, a combined ticket for the ferry and train. We are at the station, train due in at 10.30 for 10.45 departure. There are now lots of people on the platform from the ship on tours but apparently they have 2 carriages reserved so hopefully we can avoid those.

Last night's dinner was again very good. Surf n Turf or Seafood Brochettes. The entertainer was a Singer/Instrumentalist called Zach Winningham. Although only 30 he had a love of 60s and 70s music and was very good, playing 4 different instruments and singing well.

Had a fun train Todd and are now in Paignton. It is a busy seaside town so we are only stopping an hour before the return journey. Then a sojourn in Dartmouth before the tender back. Last one is at 4.00pm as it takes up to 30 minutes.

CD is Frank from San Diego. All the staff vet friendly, 'above' and 'below' stairs. I think the small size of ship encourages the atmosphere of amiability. Not done any activities yet but the jigsaw in the beautiful library is taking some of my time.

Formal night tonight and Captain's Cocktail party. Production show is Motown.

Thanks for the report on Dartmouth - I assume there's no problem getting steam train tickets at the station? Did you look into the round robin - I thought the return time to Dartmouth would be cutting it close. We are looking forward to being there next Friday. Mark

Yes, Ocean Princess which arrives Dover on the 6th. Staying at Castle Guest House. Then on to Southampton to board the Emerald on the 11th.

Kent is my home county although I have not lived there in over 44 years :(. We had taken our youngest DGD to the White Cliffs Park and saw Ocean Princess docked. We were on her for a Med cruise a couple of years ago and just loved everything about her. We also love sailing from Southampton and I would love to sail from Dover - well I have but only on cross channel ferries :(

Enjoy reading your 'live froms' and it will be great reading the Ocean Princess one next year. Continue to enjoy your cruising - how many in the pipeline now? We have Caribbean Princess in September and then possibly a P&O one next year, from HK to Southampton if any cabins come available after final payment.

Thanks for the report on Dartmouth - I assume there's no problem getting steam train tickets at the station? Did you look into the round robin - I thought the return time to Dartmouth would be cutting it close. We are looking forward to being there next Friday. Mark

Hi Mark. we decided not to bother with a round trip and just took a return. The first train was not till 10.45, arriving at 11.15. It was very busy and a little late departimng and ariving due to the numbers travelling. Those on Princess tours had 2 reserved carriages.

We are docked 'near' Waterford. Not in the picturesque town of Dunmore East or in the city itself but at an unattractive commercial area on the river. Apparently a 20 minute (free) shuttle ride from Waterford. They will begin the shuttles at 9.30 and run every half an hour. Departure not till 6.30.

So, today we will take that shuttle and have a look around. It is overcast and cooler, around 16-19 C (61-66 F) with a slight chance of rain. After it was so glorious in Dartmouth yesterday that is a little disappointing.

Last night around the Western Approaches was a litle choppy but not too bad. We are in a far forward cabin so bound to feel the motion a little.

Last night's show, Motown, was very enjoyable but due to injuries in the cast there are only 4 dancers this week, 2 boys and 2 girls plus the 2 singers. Before dinner we sat up in the Tahitian lounge for a while and enjoyed the music of Singular Duo. However, the other pair of musicians, The Cruisetones, are not to our taste.

Tata for now. :)

Corinne

Kent is my home county although I have not lived there in over 44 years :(. We had taken our youngest DGD to the White Cliffs Park and saw Ocean Princess docked. We were on her for a Med cruise a couple of years ago and just loved everything about her. We also love sailing from Southampton and I would love to sail from Dover - well I have but only on cross channel ferries :(

Enjoy reading your 'live froms' and it will be great reading the Ocean Princess one next year. Continue to enjoy your cruising - how many in the pipeline now? We have Caribbean Princess in September and then possibly a P&O one next year, from HK to Southampton if any cabins come available after final payment.

Don 't want to hijack this thread with personal stuff, so I'll "see" you in May. Over 100 total in said "pipeline" but not all Princess.

We've had a quiet day in Waterford. Weather dull all day but dry. Not leaving till after 6.30. The view from our cabin is of industrial equipment, not inspiring.

Dublin tomorrow, we intend an independent tour out to Powerscourt Gardens.

We've had a quiet day in Waterford. Weather dull all day but dry. Not leaving till after 6.30. The view from our cabin is of industrial equipment, not inspiring.

Dublin tomorrow, we intend an independent tour out to Powerscourt Gardens.

I can't wait to hear about Powerscourt Gardens. We are planning on a tour there.

Could you tell me what days the evening Buffett changes to the Bistro? We are Buffett eaters and plan on going to one of the specialty restaurants one day and do the balcony dining another. The Bistro days would be perfect for us to do that.

Could you tell me what days the evening Buffett changes to the Bistro? We are Buffett eaters and plan on going to one of the specialty restaurants one day and do the balcony dining another. The Bistro days would be perfect for us to do that.

Can't help this ... Jimmy says to eat a Cheeseburger in Paradise!

Archived