Just off FoS with 15-month-old and 3.5-yr-old: my recommendations (with pics/links)

sherezada

You mentioned how your 3 year old liked the club, but I was wondering what other things are going on that you can go to with your kids? We went on Oasis in fall and loved all the character events, kid friendly diving and ice show, carousel, H2O one, etc... but we are looking at maybe doing a different ship next year and wondering if there will still be a lot of family things to do. I do not expect as much as Oasis but just want to make sure my son will have fun if not at club.

On the Freedom, they showed Turbo in 3D, which we enjoyed as a family. I think they also had an ice show, but it was from the "How to train your dragon" movie, and my son didn't like the movie, so we didn't waste our time with that one. The had a night light puppet show that was great! So yeah, there are usually quite a few events you could do with the kids.

Edited by sherezada

You mentioned how your 3 year old liked the club, but I was wondering what other things are going on that you can go to with your kids? We went on Oasis in fall and loved all the character events, kid friendly diving and ice show, carousel, H2O one, etc... but we are looking at maybe doing a different ship next year and wondering if there will still be a lot of family things to do. I do not expect as much as Oasis but just want to make sure my son will have fun if not at club.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in but we did the Oasis last year and this year we're taking the kids (7,4) on the Freedom in 2 weeks. The Freedom seemed to have just as good kids club, bigger H2O zone (or it looks bigger), and poolside movies (which Oasis didn't have). I'll miss not being able to show them the carrousel and dive show but as far as I could see That's the only big difference from a kid-fun viewpoint. I'll let you know how it goes!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this! We will be going in May with our soon-to-be 3 1/2 yr old son on the Oasis of The Sea. Your post really helps!

BTW do you know if they allow kids to watch the shows? Oasis has a musical, the ice show, the water show,etc. We're planning on bringing our son to all of them.

I was on the Allure waay back ,when we only had our son, and I believe we brought him to every show. The only one I think you might not be able to bring him to is the comedy show, and maybe Quest (both have more mature content).

Just be prepared to step out of the theater if your kid gets loud, or to deal with the ugly stares from others if you don't ;-) Mine mostly fell asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by sherezada

We went to St Thomas and St Maarten. Both times we just spent time at the beach. It's what we craved for, since we have such ugly beaches up here in the northeast. It's also the only way we could have our daughter with us in more than an inch of water (since she can only be in the tiny baby splash zone on the ship). The kids loved being in the water and playing in the sand (we bought some sand toys for them before boarding the ship). Both times my daughter took a nap in one of the lounge chairs we rented, and my son would either play in the sand or use his floater, which allowed my husband and I some time to enjoy the water without having to hold a child (of course, with them on plain view).

How did handle transportation from the ship to the beach in both ports? We'll be on FOS in May going to those ports with our 19 month old and 3 yr old grandsons. Also, which beaches did you go to?

Great ideas - already added the Froggy towel to my "To buy for cruise List".

• What did you do for bathing? My daughter will be 7.5 months and I can't imagine she'll take to the shower.
  • You mentioned beach visits in St Thomas and St. Martin; did you take a ship excursion, a private one, or a cab? Also, what about car seats?
  • Are there rules about where you can dispose of diapers? (I mean only certain trash cans, or any are okay?

Thanks for your help!!

I was on the Allure waay back ,when we only had our son, and I believe we brought him to every show. The only one I think you might not be able to bring him to is the comedy show, and maybe Quest (both have more mature content).

Just be prepared to step out of the theater if your kid gets loud, or to deal with the ugly stares from others if you don't ;-) Mine mostly fell asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. Yup we are prepared to walk out of the shows should our son get loud or bored. My son loves music so I'm hoping he gets to enjoy the shows.

• 3 weeks later...

glad you had fun... we are leaving in a couple of weeks on Majesty of the Seas (unfortunately, does not have Royal Tots I think) with a 2 and 4yo. Reading through all the information, it states that you can't bring drinks on board. Were you able to bring juice boxes on in your luggage? That would save us so much trouble if we could bring those!

And thanks for this post - very thorough!

How did handle transportation from the ship to the beach in both ports? We'll be on FOS in May going to those ports with our 19 month old and 3 yr old grandsons. Also, which beaches did you go to?

Great ideas - already added the Froggy towel to my "To buy for cruise List".

• What did you do for bathing? My daughter will be 7.5 months and I can't imagine she'll take to the shower.
  • You mentioned beach visits in St Thomas and St. Martin; did you take a ship excursion, a private one, or a cab? Also, what about car seats?
  • Are there rules about where you can dispose of diapers? (I mean only certain trash cans, or any are okay?

Thanks for your help!!

We bathed them straight in the shower. My son would stand in there with his dad. It was tight, but we managed. I bathed my daughter while holding her in my arms, so the water wouldn't hit her directly in the face/head (she hates that). Just bathed one side of her, rinsed so she wouldn't be slippery when I switched her over, then repeat on the other side.

However, i have read some people bring in inflatable tubs to bathe the little ones. That just sounded like too much hassle for us, since we were used to doing the shower thing at home anyway.

We didn't do any tours. For all our beach trips, we just took the multi-passenger transportation that was usually available at each port. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name of the beach we went to in St Thomas, but we took a multi-passenger, open bus, and just arranged with that driver to pick us up at a pre-determined time. In St Martin we took the ferry to the beach closest to the ship, near the boardwalk. We never used car seats. There's just simply no space in that type of transportation. We were fine.

No rules/guidelines about where to dispose of diapers. We just put them in any available trash can. We bagged the poopy ones, though, just to contain the odor, but trash cans are emptied often.

glad you had fun... we are leaving in a couple of weeks on Majesty of the Seas (unfortunately, does not have Royal Tots I think) with a 2 and 4yo. Reading through all the information, it states that you can't bring drinks on board. Were you able to bring juice boxes on in your luggage? That would save us so much trouble if we could bring those!

And thanks for this post - very thorough!

We brought in a 24-pack of water and two 8-packs of juice boxes with no trouble. They weren't hidden either. So I don't think you'll have any problem.

Edited by sherezada

We went to St Thomas and St Maarten. Both times we just spent time at the beach. It's what we craved for, since we have such ugly beaches up here in the northeast. It's also the only way we could have our daughter with us in more than an inch of water (since she can only be in the tiny baby splash zone on the ship). The kids loved being in the water and playing in the sand (we bought some sand toys for them before boarding the ship). Both times my daughter took a nap in one of the lounge chairs we rented, and my son would either play in the sand or use his floater, which allowed my husband and I some time to enjoy the water without having to hold a child (of course, with them on plain view).

So just starting to consider taking the whole family on a cruise (including 2 grandaughters, age 3 and 1)

One of the things we are debating is if we should wait till the youngest is potty trained.

So what is the "tiny baby splash zone" on the ship you talk about? Is this on all royal ship? We are considering the Liberty. I was under the understanding that until potty trained that a baby in swim diapers could not get in any kind of water. Just didn't know how this would work with two sea days and hot weather. Not being able to get wet at all would be kinda hard for her.

Please tell me what all a non potty trained 18 mth old could do if we go this fall???

Waterbug, there is another thread on this site written by a woman who took her 18 month old on the Liberty. It's here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1972039

If you look through it, there is a picture of her son playing in the infant area of the H2O Zone. Liberty also has a Royal Babies Nursery with activities for infants and toddlers, but you would have to pay extra for most of those. Her thread has a copy of the flyer that describes the nursery, tells what times it is open, and when you can sign up to use it. There are activities outside the nursery as well where parents or other caretakers are expected to be present.

If I have a chance, I will go back to find the exact posts with the info you are asking for, but in the meantime, take a look, because she has lots of recommendations that you might be interested in.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing your review!

We are cruising on Oasis of the Seas in January with our 15 month old son in January.

Did you guys ever find the need for a car seat while in port?

We only want to take a 5 point harness umbrella stroller we purchased for traveling and we are going to purchase a new baby carrier since we don't like our Baby Bjorn very much and only goes up to 25 pounds. I want one that will fit in a diaper bag when we don't use it.

Bathing: We were going to buy one of those inflatable bathtubs to stick in the shower for bathing the baby at night.

Did you guys need or use the pack n play that RCCL offer in the rooms and if so what did you think?

I think our main concern is not having to drag a car seat that clicks into our huge jogging stroller on a cruise with us when we go to Cozumel and Falmouth ports when driving. Our carseat only goes up to 30 pounds so he may be getting to big for it by next year since he is 8 months and already weighs 20 pounds.

I like your baby carrier by the way! :D

Thanks for sharing your review!

We are cruising on Oasis of the Seas in January with our 15 month old son in January.

Did you guys ever find the need for a car seat while in port?

We didn't bring a car seat. Every time we used transportation we just held out daughter in our lap or she was strapped to me in the baby carrier. We just didn't want to go trough the hassle for the short time we would be using that transportation (can you imagine having to drag a car seat to the beach and back?). Plus almost none of the transportation we took had any seatbelts. No flaming, please, but in this case my feeling is that, if our parents were able to keep us alive for years without a car seat, we can manage a few minutes without it.

We only want to take a 5 point harness umbrella stroller we purchased for traveling and we are going to purchase a new baby carrier since we don't like our Baby Bjorn very much and only goes up to 25 pounds. I want one that will fit in a diaper bag when we don't use it.

Sounds like a great idea. Just be careful you don't buy one that is so compact it will become uncomfortable for you and/or your baby if wearing for long periods of time. Usually the really compact ones do not have enough padding to provide comfort.

Bathing: We were going to buy one of those inflatable bathtubs to stick in the shower for bathing the baby at night.

I've read a lot of people have done this successfully.

Did you guys need or use the pack n play that RCCL offer in the rooms and if so what did you think?

We did not request the pack n play, because our daughter was used to sleeping in our bed, and we felt the pack-n-play would take up too much space in an already tiny cabin. So I can't really comment on those. When we went on the Allure we selected a Promenade room, and used the bay window as a bed for our son (who was 1.5 at the time). It worked great!

I like your baby carrier by the way! :D

Well, thank you! :o

Thanks for answering my questions!

I shared the info with my husband and he and I feel pretty confident and comfortable that we would be okay going with a car seat and just taking a umbrella stroller and a baby carrier. At least half of everyone who goes doesn't take a car seat with them so I think it's just a personal preference. I personally don't want to lug a car seat and jogging stroller.

Your post has been most helpful. :D

• 2 weeks later...