Baby's First Cruise! My Liberty Photo Review #2

New Jersey
3,713 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Hello All! Chrystal here With the sounds of the sea still sharp in my mind, and while the lingering relaxation from our cruise is still with me, I bring to you a complete review of our vacation. I'm excited to share our cruise with you!

It's been a while since we've cruised. Last year, we were blessed with our son, Isaac. He's such an awesome little guy. We missed cruising so much last year! In December, my husband, Wesley, and I decided to take our 10-month old son on the Liberty of the Seas. We invited my Mom and Aunt to come with us as well. We had a nice time cruising as new parents.

It should take me a few days to complete the review. For those of you who are familiar with my reviews, I take you through just about every moment of our vacation, from start to finish. So, for those of you who want a short review, here is a quick summary: New Moms and Dads, rejoice! Cruising with a baby can be done, and it is awesome if you're well-prepared. It is certainly different from cruising just with your spouse, but it is still a wonderful vacation. We loved every minute of the trip.

If you like long reviews, keep reading! Feel free to ask questions and I'll answer them the best way I can. I hope this serves as a source of information and as a virtual vacation for all of you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Chrystal
Email Me Friend Me on FB (Please message me your screen name on CC)

Previous Cruises:
NCL Norwegian Crown-NYC to Bermuda (2006)
RCI Adventure S. Caribbean-Barbados Route (2009)

Complete Photo Reviews:
RCI Serenade S. Caribbean-Barbados Route (2010)
l Carnival Glory from Norfolk-Bahamas (2011) l RCI Serenade S. Caribbean-Aruba Route (2011) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel (2012) l Fort Lauderdale Pre-and-Post-Cruise l RCI Allure W. Caribbean-Babymoon (2012) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel-Baby's First Cruise (2014)

Up Next:
Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas, November 2016
Excellence Playa Mujeres, Mexico, March 2017 (Girls' Trip)
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas, March 2017
Rome and Tuscany Land Tour, August 2017
Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas, August 2017
Excellence Playa Mujeres, Mexico, October 2017 (Couples' Trip)
Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas, January 2018

Travel Blog

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
~Mark Twain

Plainfield, IL
480 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
So excited to read we take our 13 month old next month. Although we are going on adventure so not as much child friendly activities

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL Marinier of the Seas October 30, 2005 Halloween Cruise!

RCCL Adventure of the Seas July 9, 2006
Family Reunion

RCCL Adventure of the Seas March 17th 2007 Sibling Cruise

RCCL Voyager of the Seas April 4th 2010
Girls Week!

Carnival Valor of the Seas December 24th 2011 - HONEYMOON CRUISE!

RCCL Adventure of the Seas March 2nd 2014 - First time with Baby!

Walt Disney World January 27th 2015 - Jacob's first Disney Trip!

RCCL Oasis of the Seas January 31st 2015 - Family Cruise (Country Line dancing cruise)
North Carolina
12,941 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Holy cow! Seems like you just got pregnant! And now the baby is 10 months old??!! Time flies! Looking forward to your review. Bring it on!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jane

Florida
1,031 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Looking forward to this review!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next up
November 9, 2018 - Symphony of the Seas 4-nighter from Miami!! (no kids)

Past Cruises
Sep 2017 - Harmony of the Seas to E. Caribbean *changed to W. Caribbean* (with kids)
Nov 2016 - RCI Allure of the Seas - Nov 2016 (with kids)
Nov 2015 - NCL Escape to E. Caribbean (with kids - NCL Escape Review 11/21/15)
Nov 2014 - RCI Liberty of the Seas to Cozumel (with kids)
Jan 2014 - RCI Liberty of the Seas to Cozumel (no kids)
Jan 2012 - Carnival Miracle to Bahamas
Feb 2008 - RCI Navigator of the Seas to W. Caribbean
May 2006 - Norwegian Dawn to Nowhere
May 2004 - Carnival Imagination to W. Caribbean
Mar 2002 - Carnival Imagination to W. Caribbean
Jersey Shore
38 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
So very excited for your review! My husband and I hope to have a little one within the next year or 2 and we always talk about whether or not cruising with a little one would be a good idea, can wait to read your take on it
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oasis of the Seas 2/2014
Allure of the Seas 3/2013
Explorer of the Seas 4/2012
Coon Rapids, MN
239 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
So glad to see you have another review. I have enjoyed reading your past reviews. Love your detail.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New Jersey
3,713 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Ok, so where do I start? I think I'll share a little bit about my family so you can understand our point of view. Please bear with me, I promise I'll get to the cruising part soon!

Wesley and I have been married for 7 years. We've been together for about 14 (high-school sweethearts). You can see reviews of our previous cruises via the links in my signature. We love cruising, and Royal suits us best at this point in our lives.

2013 was a busy year, full of ups and downs. Isaac was born last February. Four days before he was born, my father passed away. It was an incredibly sad and incredibly happy time all in one. We get to see a glimpse of my Dad in Isaac every day. He looks just like him:

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Chrystal

Previous Cruises:

Complete Photo Reviews:
l Carnival Glory from Norfolk-Bahamas (2011) l RCI Serenade S. Caribbean-Aruba Route (2011) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel (2012) l Fort Lauderdale Pre-and-Post-Cruise l RCI Allure W. Caribbean-Babymoon (2012) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel-Baby's First Cruise (2014)

Up Next:

Travel Blog

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
~Mark Twain

New Jersey
3,713 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Here are some photos of Isaac through the months. He's a very observant, good-natured little guy. We've done some road trips with him and he's been a pleasure in every way.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Chrystal

Previous Cruises:

Complete Photo Reviews:

Up Next:

Travel Blog

~Mark Twain

New Jersey
3,713 Posts
Joined Jun 2009

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Chrystal

Previous Cruises:

Complete Photo Reviews:

Up Next:

Travel Blog

~Mark Twain

New Jersey
3,713 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by CruisingTeacher19
So excited to read we take our 13 month old next month. Although we are going on adventure so not as much child friendly activities

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Awesome! Thank you for reading. Feel free to post any questions you may have. You'll have a great time. The crew was always happy to see Isaac, and they were very helpful. Go with the flow and enjoy the time with your little one

Originally posted by max'smom
Holy cow! Seems like you just got pregnant! And now the baby is 10 months old??!! Time flies! Looking forward to your review. Bring it on!
Haha! Thank you! The time is definitely flying! Will do.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Chrystal

Previous Cruises:

Complete Photo Reviews:

Up Next:

Travel Blog

~Mark Twain

Virginia
3,969 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I am so subscribing! Isaac is just adorable! Love his monthly photos -- are those stickers you can buy with the months on them? Such a good idea. Wish we old moms had them when we were still photographing our babies with film!

We took our 10-month-old grandson to Disney World in 2005. I like to tell people that he was easier and better behaved than his parents on that trip!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Joan

Carnival Vista, Southern Caribbean, December 2017; Anthem of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, March-April 2016; Oasis of the Seas, Western Caribbean, August 2015; Quantum of the Seas, Bahamas, November 2014; Independence of the Seas, April 2014; Explorer of the Seas, December 2012; Oasis of the Seas, Western and Eastern Caribbean, March 2012; Allure of the Seas, Eastern and Western Caribbean, March 2011; Ruby Princess, Eastern Caribbean, March 2010; Mariner of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, April 2009; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal, March 2008; Crown Princess, Southern Caribbean, April 2007; Sapphire Princess, Alaska, May 2006; Mariner of the Seas, Western Caribbean, April 2005; HAL Zuiderdam, Eastern Caribbean, April 2004
New Jersey
3,713 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by CamaCama
Looking forward to this review!!
Originally posted by rednancy1
Subscribing.
Thank you ladies!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Chrystal

Previous Cruises:

Complete Photo Reviews:

Up Next:

Travel Blog

~Mark Twain

Lockport, IL (suburb of Chicago)
662 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
First off congrats!! He is adorable! Looking forward to this review! I loved your review while pregnant, it was very helpful to me before our babymoon on Allure. We just booked our new little one's first cruise for the end of May, just after he turns 6 months. Perfect timing again!! Thank you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Majesty of the Seas 11/2004, Adventure of the Seas 1/2006, Celebrity Mercury 1/2007, Carnival Valor 4/2010
Adventure of the Seas 1/2012, Navigator (Europe) 6/2012, Adventure of the Seas 1/2013, Allure of the Seas 6/2013
Allure of the Seas 5/2014, Freedom of the Seas 12/2014, Independence of the Seas 3/2015, Oasis of the Seas 1/2017
Disney Fantasy 11/2017, Oasis of the Seas 4/2018

Chicago, IL
2,017 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Love the pictures of your little guy! He is a cutie! I'll be following along-have really enjoyed all of your reviews. Thanks for sharing with us!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL Empress of the Seas-9/1993
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas-2/1998, 5/2003, 4/2005, 11/2006
RCCL Majesty of the Seas-5/2001
Disney Wonder-9/2003
RCCL Voyager of the Seas-4/2002
RCCL Navigator of the Seas-6/2004, 3/2009, 11/2014-"LIVE" REPORT http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2124668
RCCL Adventure of the Seas-4/2008, Mariner of the Seas-6/2010
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas-3/2006, 2/2016 B2B "LIVE" REPORT http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2316711
Jewel of the Seas - 2/2012, 2/2013
RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 11/2012, Independence of the Seas - 2/2014
RCCL Allure of the Seas - 11/2013, Oasis of the Seas -2/2015-"LIVE" REPORT http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2170518
RCCL Harmony of the Seas - 11/2016

Maryland's Eastern Shore
6,143 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Isaac is adorable; just love the pics.

Looking forward to another of your great reviews!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I learn something new every day!
Jane

Past Cruises
April 8 2016 RC Serenade of the Seas Caribbean
Sept 11 2014 RC Explorer of the Seas NE/Canada
Dec 3 2012 RC Explorer of the Seas Eastern Carribbean
June 20 2010 Carnival Pride Bahamas
Sept 2 2009 RC Jewel of the Seas TA
Jan 2009 RC Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean
Sept 11 2008 RC Explorer of the Seas Canada
Jan 2008 RC Brilliance of the Seas Panama Canal
June 2 2007 RC Radiance of the Seas Alaska

New Jersey
3,713 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by adelrey
So very excited for your review! My husband and I hope to have a little one within the next year or 2 and we always talk about whether or not cruising with a little one would be a good idea, can wait to read your take on it
Awww I remember when we were at that stage. We thought we were going to wait a long time before cruising with the baby, but we missed it soooo much and it's been fun sharing new travel experiences with him. I guess we needed to figure out his personality before we felt comfortable taking him.

Originally posted by luvixtapa
So glad to see you have another review. I have enjoyed reading your past reviews. Love your detail.
Thank you so much!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Chrystal

Previous Cruises:

Complete Photo Reviews:

Up Next:

Travel Blog

~Mark Twain

New Jersey
3,713 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by joand452
I am so subscribing! Isaac is just adorable! Love his monthly photos -- are those stickers you can buy with the months on them? Such a good idea. Wish we old moms had them when we were still photographing our babies with film!

We took our 10-month-old grandson to Disney World in 2005. I like to tell people that he was easier and better behaved than his parents on that trip!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review.
Thank you so much! Yes, we got the monthly stickers. I think we'll turn his photos into a calendar once he hits 1 year old. If anyone is curious about the stickers, I bought them here.

You're right about babies being better behaved than adults! At least Isaac was more quiet in the Main Dining Room than some larger adult parties!

Originally posted by Mary521
First off congrats!! He is adorable! Looking forward to this review! I loved your review while pregnant, it was very helpful to me before our babymoon on Allure. We just booked our new little one's first cruise for the end of May, just after he turns 6 months. Perfect timing again!! Thank you!
Thank you so much and CONGRATULATIONS!!! Enjoy your little guy. How is he doing? How are you? I'm glad you had a nice time on the Allure.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Chrystal

Previous Cruises:

Complete Photo Reviews:

Up Next:

Travel Blog

~Mark Twain

New Jersey
3,713 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by niksmom630
Love the pictures of your little guy! He is a cutie! I'll be following along-have really enjoyed all of your reviews. Thanks for sharing with us!
Originally posted by luvscruising2007
Isaac is adorable; just love the pics.

Looking forward to another of your great reviews!
My pleasure! Thank you both so much!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Chrystal

Previous Cruises:

Complete Photo Reviews:

Up Next:

Travel Blog

~Mark Twain

3,081 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
I'm definitely interested in hearing your take on the cruise. My son is also 10 months. We took him on a Carnival cruise last month and enjoyed it even though we don't usually do Carnival. We're going again in May, back to Royal this time for us!

I'm interested to see if you used the nursery and how well Royal stacks up. We prefer Royal mostly. The cruise we took on Carnival wasn't baby friendly, but we made it a good time with our son.

I know how you felt about not being able to cruise for a while. We went on the Liberty when I was 23 weeks pregnant last year (Nov 2012) and were not able to go on another until this December (2013).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sovereign of the Seas 1999 ** Enchantment of the Seas 2008 ** Jewel of the Seas 2009 ** Oasis of the Seas 2010 Review ** Grandeur of the Seas 2010 Review ** Liberty of the Seas 2010 Review ** Majesty of the Seas 2010 Review ** Navigator of the Seas 2011 ** Allure of the Seas 2011 Review ** Liberty of the Seas 2012 ** Enchantment of the Seas 2014 Review** Brilliance of the Seas 2014 Review** Liberty of the Seas 2014 ** Jewel of the Seas 2015 Review ** Enchantment of the Seas 2016 Review ** Harmony of the Seas 2017 ** Independence of the Seas 2018

Carnival Imagination 2010 ** Carnival Glory 2013 Review ** Carnival Breeze 2014 Review ** Carnival Conquest 2017

Norwegian Sky 2011 ** Norwegian Epic 2012 Review ** Norwegian Sky 2012

Disney Dream 2012 ** Disney Magic 2016 Review ** Disney Dream 2018

MSC Seaside 2018

Coral Princess 2011 Review