Should I attach a clothes line out on my verandah?

AndrewM

Here's a tip to help dry things faster. Lay the items out on a towel and roll them up and then each person holds an end and twists the water out. You can give a good spray of the downy on items you care about wrinkling.

I'm gonna try that tip, HappyTVlr! I just found this handy travel clothesline on amazon. Not sure how, but Rick Steves says clothes pins aren't required:

41SX5M2FK5L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00332F1WY?ie=UTF8&tag=cruisedcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00332F1WY

You're going to have a great time. The Reflection is a beautiful ship, and your ports are all wonderful. I'm totally jealous (though not in the heat of august i have to admit, i went in october lol)

Thanks ariawoman! This is the trip of a lifetime for me so I'm absolutely thrilled! If I didn't have a school aged child, I would so be there in October too!

I have ALWAYS brought along my handheld clothes steamer on every cruise! I had no idea they were not permitted. Irons, of course, but steamers? I've left it on the table to cool off many times, so I know the steward has seen it. I was never told it was not allowed. Learn something new every day.

(Unless the OP was joking about this as well as the clothes line.)

Anyone know if they trash garment steamers if found or if you can pick it up after your cruise? I wouldn't mind using our garment steamer for the first and last leg of our vacation.

I'm gonna try that tip, HappyTVlr! I just found this handy travel clothesline on amazon. Not sure how, but Rick Steves says clothes pins aren't required:

41SX5M2FK5L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00332F1WY?ie=UTF8&tag=cruisedcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00332F1WY

I have a similar one by Rick Steves, but mine has velcro at each end for securing. You feed a small section or two of the clothing item through the braid. You can hang it in the shower when clothes are still dripping and elsewhere in cabin (or still shower) when not dripping.

Kathy

I do use Celebrity's laundry and dry cleaning service. I also use the Downy Spray for wrinkles. And I try to prevent wrinkles with the Eagle Creek packing envelopes for shirts, and dress clothes packed on hangers individually with plastic dry cleaner bags over each.

But some items I bring are not appropriate for the higher heat cycles they use (ladies undergarments, support stockings, swimsuits with lycra etc) I do hand wash these items and hang of our braided rubberized stretchy clothesline. (It looks like Rick Steve's, except it is beige. Purchased from Magellans, Clothespins optional. On sea days...I have hung on the balcony.

Becky

I have a similar one by Rick Steves, but mine has velcro at each end for securing. You feed a small section or two of the clothing item through the braid. You can hang it in the shower when clothes are still dripping and elsewhere in cabin (or still shower) when not dripping.

Kathy

Kathy, I swear by the one I bought at REI. it's stretchy, so it works well in the standard showers, or the larger tub enclosures (suites). It has both suction cups and velcro loops at each end. We used the suction cups and stretched it across the tub enclosure. It held two wet bathing suits, very easily. If we'd had something heavier to hang, we might have needed to use the velcro loops to secure it, though. :cool:

All X ships have a public use clothes line. Just go to the top deck of the ship at the front ...sometimes the hang flags on the line, but just replace them with your clothes and you will have dry clothes in no time!

Love this top tip :D

Karen

Kathy, I swear by the one I bought at REI. it's stretchy, so it works well in the standard showers, or the larger tub enclosures (suites). It has both suction cups and velcro loops at each end. We used the suction cups and stretched it across the tub enclosure. It held two wet bathing suits, very easily. If we'd had something heavier to hang, we might have needed to use the velcro loops to secure it, though. :cool:

Suzanne, yours sounds like a newer and upgraded version. The suction cups are a good addition and would be useful. Kathy

I'm surprised no one has posted this, but there's actually a serious reason why you shouldn't leave clothing or towels on the balcony--they are FLAMMABLE--I know Celebrity has a strict smoking policy, but people do still smoke on balconies from time to time and if they toss the cigarette butt overboard you could have the Star Princess all over again.

"The fire started on a balcony, and what's most significant is that in response to the incident, cruise lines across the industry have spent millions refurnishing verandahs with non-inflammable materials and asking passengers not to leave clothing on their balconies. Some cruise lines, such as Crystal, whose Symphony will undergo a major dry dock refurbishment this month, is actually replacing the existing privacy panels on the ship with those that are less flammable."

Don't catch the Reflection on fire, I plan on enjoying my new years cruise on her. :)

Archived