The Love Boat heads to the scrap yard

MickCruiser

Say it ain't so Gopher!!!

Apparently had a really rough trip to get there to boot. I do have to say while growing up and spending Saturday night's at my grandmother's house, this was on each Saturday (?) and followed by Fantasy Island, I believe.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/the-love-boat-sails-off-to-turkish-scrap-heap/article13633258/

Say it ain't so Gopher!!!

Apparently had a really rough trip to get there to boot. I do have to say while growing up and spending Saturday night's at my grandmother's house, this was on each Saturday (?) and followed by Fantasy Island, I believe.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/the-love-boat-sails-off-to-turkish-scrap-heap/article13633258/

Awwwwwwwww

Loved that show -- I am singing the song right now!:o

Before she was the Pacific Princess she was the M/V Sea Venture and made regular sailings from New York to Hamilton, Bermuda. I lived in Bermuda in the summer of '72 and made many visits to the ship as it was open to the public when docked in Hamilton. She was a fine ship.

Thanks for posting the news.

I can't read this article, but there is a video of her and it shows how much she is listing.

http://www.denizgazete.com/haber/33356-ask-gemisi-aliaga

Yikes on that pic. But guess it does not matter much at this point. Article did reference a very rough trip from Italy to Turkey. Apparently it started taking on water (thus the listing) and needed assistance to get to where it rests now.

Like someone said above, now I'm signing that song. It's like thinking about "It's a small world" at Disney, once you think of the song you can't get it out of your head. Now I have TWO songs rattling around in my noggin'. :eek:

The shows last season was just 3 years before my 1st cruise, and its probably a large part of why we started cruising.

It's definitely what first motivated me to look into cruising!

Everything looked so glamorous and the crew was so cool! Who didn't want to vacay with Captain Steubing and Julie??:D

So wierd reading the article -- the ship is so tiny! The wonder of TV -- it looked huge
Her sister, Island Princess (now Discovery), was docked behind us when we were in St. Petersburg on Carnival Legend last month. Parts of the series were filmed on her. Legend absolutely dwarfed her. I'll try to post photos.

Her sister, Island Princess (now Discovery), was docked behind us when we were in St. Petersburg on Carnival Legend last month. Parts of the series were filmed on her. Legend absolutely dwarfed her. I'll try to post photos.

They usually used that ship when the show went on international cruises.

Having never watched it when it was originally on, I found it airing one Sunday morning after returning from my first cruise. I felt like I was cruising for an hour each Sunday morning.

I just recently found the pilot of the series buried on one of the DVD's I bought. Captain Stubbing was NOT a nice man. And his ex wife was Bonnie Franklin.

Yikes on that pic. But guess it does not matter much at this point. Article did reference a very rough trip from Italy to Turkey. Apparently it started taking on water (thus the listing) and needed assistance to get to where it rests now.

Like someone said above, now I'm signing that song. It's like thinking about "It's a small world" at Disney, once you think of the song you can't get it out of your head. Now I have TWO songs rattling around in my noggin'. :eek:

"The Love Boat" is one thing...but then you had to go an mention "It's A Small World"!:D No sleep tonight!:rolleyes::D

Some years ago, before Bermuda started to let the bigger newer ships in, you had 5 ships leaving the West side piers every weekend in Manhattan

Celebrity Zenith

Celebrity Horizon

RCI Empress

NCL something

and for one year, Princess had either the Island or Pacific Princess running the route. Since this was an historic ship, we went into the city one weekend towards the end of the Bermuda season to get some shots of her as she pulled out of the harbor and headed south towards the VZ bridge.

Somewhere on some computer we have those shots stored. With the new security measures installed after 9-11, you can't get close enough to shoot the ships while docked but have to wait until they pull out and then race down West Street with the traffic lights :mad: and get ahead and then quickly stop and get the shots. Not for the fainthearted with Sunday (traffic) in New York. Cue Mel Torme.:D

Husband had left me, 2 small kids to raise and my 3 best girlfriends were going on a Caribbean cruise. I always watched that show and one day that song played, I called grandma to see if she could watch the kids, sold my piano, called the TA and bunked in a quad, very small cabin with my friends. That started my love of cruising. Sad to watch.

Archived