First visit to sydney - questions

Thebosn1

Great advice from everyone.

The QVB is wonderful. Make sure you ride the lift / elevator and have a good look at the flooring.

Unless you are a musician (or similar) I would skip the Opera House tour. You can walk around the building and go inside some parts. You will not get into the concert halls - but they are just concert halls with amazing acoustics. A walk around might be enough for you and would free up a lot of time.

R.

I agree skip the tour of the opera house it not that great inside

QVB is just a building full of expensive boutique shops and can be missed if time poor

There is Wildlife SydneyZoo near the Aquarium at Darling Harbour, perhaps that is the one they mean? Obviously not as big as Taronga but they do have Koala encounters there and we enjoyed our visit when limited for time visit they also do a combined ticket with the Aquarium.

Sandy in Spain

if you just want to see kangaroos and koalas then wildlife world in darling harbour is ok they have a crocodile and birds and reptiles as well, the aquarium is ok but not so good it can't be missed. Taronga is an all day event and much more interesting plus has great views of Sydney I spend the day there whenever I go to Sydney however remember it will be hot and possibly humid and at least darling harbour attractions are air conditioned

• 2 weeks later...

WE were in Sydney 4 years ago for two days. We arrived early around 8 am and went and dropped our luggage. Then went to Sydney Wildlife Center and did the Koala encounter and got our picture taken (big on my list). Then we saw the rest of that, about two hours worth. Then we went to the Sydney Aquarium and then walked around Darling Harbor. We then went to lunch and dinner around there as we were exhausted from our 24 hrs. being up and the 14 hour flight from Sydney. Went to bed early and got an early start the next day. We went right to Circular Quay (about 4 blocks) then got the first water ferry to Taraunga Zoo and was there about 3-4 hrs. Ate lunch there and got some awesome pictures. Then went back by water ferry and went to Botanical Gardens and Sydney Opera House. Then went back to hotel and ate around Darling Harbor. If you really want to save money for your meals there is always McDonalds or Subway. I know that I am goung to get slammed for that one. But since I don't like fish and that sort of thing then Subway was go for us. I thought since we were going to be on the boat the next day I could get the fancy dinners and food there and why pay so much when it is free on the ship. We stayed at Four Points Sheraton and it was centrally located and was able to walk to everything. Next day got a taxi and went to port (about a ten minute drive by taxi) and were on the ship by 11:00 am. Awesome and I would definitely like to go back. I hope you enjoy yourself. Any other questions just ask.

Our family will be arriving in your lovely city March 17 to 19, 2014 and do a 13 day NZ cruise, arriving back in Sydney for 9 days. This is where we plan to do the bulk of our sight seeing and have two all day tours scheduled. Have been reading all the suggestions & recommendations & thank you.

Points of interest:

1.Opera House on our own

2. Zoo

3. Manly

4. Harbor Cruise ( Lunch)

5. Walking Tour or Ghost Tour

6. Jervis Bay Coastal 1 day & Blue MT near end of stay.

Just as an FYI,

March 17th theymay have some St Patricks day celebrations going on. The big party will be on the Sunday but we have enough backpackers etc that like to celebrate on the day.

I wouldn't put the Rocks Ghost Tour into that night.

May I suggest you don't do the Harbour Cruise for lunch. The food is not very good and you pay through the nose. Much of it will be exactly the same as your Manly Ferry trip too. Just with commentary.

Mrs Waldo, thank you, I actually got thinking of that exact thing regarding the harbor Cruise, plus, when we do the Blue Mountain tour on April 8th, it includes the cruise back under the bridge to Darling Harbor, also in taking the ferry over to the Zoo, & Manly we are getting the same trip probably. If we do the Rocks Ghost tour, it would be either Friday April 4 or Saturday April 5th. The daughter and husbands sister will leave Sydney for the Steve Irwin Zoo on April 2nd, she is determined to see that. DH & I felt with two Zoo's in Sydney, we could enjoy ourselves and not worry about flying out again for a couple days.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a tip for Taronga Zoo. When you get off the ferry to the zoo, take the gondola to the top of the zoo. All the Australian animals are near the top entrance. It is also a more pleasant walk downhill towards the harbour rather than trudging uphill on a hot summer's day. The zoo is often open in the evening in summer so that might be worth checking out if you have planned a full day.

My family has been taking the ferry to Manly beach for more years than I can remember. For us, a visit to Manly is not complete without a takeaway lunch of fish and chips looking over the ocean beach. The best fish and chips is from the shop on the right at the ocean beach end of the pedestrian plaza ( The Corso). You can't miss it. I think it is called Manly Oceanfoods.

When you get off the ferry, leave the ferry terminal, cross at the lights and follow the crowd. It will be very busy as it is a weekend but Manly is buzzing during this time so don't miss it. So much fun just people watching!

Mrs Waldo, thank you, I actually got thinking of that exact thing regarding the harbor Cruise, plus, when we do the Blue Mountain tour on April 8th, it includes the cruise back under the bridge to Darling Harbor, also in taking the ferry over to the Zoo, & Manly we are getting the same trip probably. If we do the Rocks Ghost tour, it would be either Friday April 4 or Saturday April 5th. The daughter and husbands sister will leave Sydney for the Steve Irwin Zoo on April 2nd, she is determined to see that. DH & I felt with two Zoo's in Sydney, we could enjoy ourselves and not worry about flying out again for a couple days.:)

Hello Gay,

The cruise back from the Blue Mountains (Olympic Park to Sydney) is along the up-river section of the river on a fast river cat, whereas the cruises and ferries that go to the Zoo and Manly are more of a sea going ferry, if you know what I mean and covers the area between the docks and the the harbour entrance. Poor description, I know. Different views.

If don't do the lunch cruise, you can also take the hop on hop off ferry to Watsons Bay and have some lovely fish and chips right on the pier or at the pub? Great views from here of the rugged coast line just a few minutes walk across the park. This ferry also stops at the Zoo.

One of the things we noticed when we visited Manley (we got off ferry, straight across the rood, walked down to the beach, turned right along a sea walk to a smaller beach..sorry don´t know it´s name) was the on beach DIY BBQ/grill thingies. Are they free free, how do they work, do they have a special name?

Sandy in Spain

free guessing you were at Shelly

but some may require coins to operate (sorry I never bbq at Manly)

they're called bbqs and are in many locations around Aus... some will require wood which is usually in a stack nearby (these are the best ones)

In terms of working..first in gets it but most of the time people plonk the snags (steak) on the side to signal they have it next... if tghe person cooking isn;t filling the plate sometimes you share

I dont see anyone mentioning the Harbor bridge walk. Is it not worth doing? It is quite expensive.

Certainly is worth doing but not cheap depending on time of day/week.

Can also just climb the South Eastern Pylon for very little cost and also has very good views.

Here is a link to a thread on the bridge climb.

I dont see anyone mentioning the Harbor bridge walk. Is it not worth doing? It is quite expensive.

I've done the Harbour Bridge climb. It was awesome. Not cheap, and it takes a fair bit of time. But if you have time and money, it's a great view!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Hi guys really enjoying this thread

We fly from the uk to oz in November and have a couple of days before and a couple after in Sydney before and after our cruise

I don't suppose anyone can tell me the best way to get from the airport to the harbour bridge which is where our hotel is (sebel pier one)

We were thinking taxi but not sure of distance or how much it might cost so any help would be appreciated

Also we have the same dilemma for getting from hotel to dock to embark ship on cruise day and vice versa when we disembark after cruise and head back to the same hotel (sebel pier one)

Any help would be great

Thank you

Mark

We fly from the uk to oz in November and have a couple of days before and a couple after in Sydney before and after our cruise

I don't suppose anyone can tell me the best way to get from the airport to the harbour bridge which is where our hotel is (sebel pier one)

We were thinking taxi but not sure of distance or how much it might cost so any help would be appreciated

Also we have the same dilemma for getting from hotel to dock to embark ship on cruise day and vice versa when we disembark after cruise and head back to the same hotel (sebel pier one)

Any help would be great

Thank you

Mark

Taxi is roughly $50-60 for the trip from airport to hotel.

There are two cruise ship docks in Sydney. Assuming you're going to the OPT one at Circular Quay, it's only a short walk (few hundred metres), albeit with a hill to and from the ship.

Taxi is roughly $50-60 for the trip from airport to hotel.

There are two cruise ship docks in Sydney. Assuming you're going to the OPT one at Circular Quay, it's only a short walk (few hundred metres), albeit with a hill to and from the ship.

Thanks for that, pretty much what we were expecting

Not sure which dock we are going from but we go on sun princess,

At least there's only 2 docks to negotiate and find her lol

Thanks again

Unfortunately it makes a big difference.

Sun Princess is 99% sure to be at White Bay which is a significant trip. You will need a taxi. It's not easily done via Public Transport.

Sorry I have no idea what the taxi cost as it is not a trip I take is but make sure you don't do the trip in peak hour.

Depending on time of day don't be surprised if the trip to Pier One is closer to the $65. By the time you add airport levels and tolls it can be quite a hike between 7 and 9 am.

If you are game and confident i would suggest asking the driver to go via Redfern Route (he should know it, if not stick with his GPS) as Pier one is on that side of the city and most of the morning hassle is getting across and downtown

Any help would be great

Thank you

Mark

Have you checked to see if your hotel offers a complimentary shuttle service? Some do, and it could cut down your costs a bit...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Thanks for that, pretty much what we were expecting

Not sure which dock we are going from but we go on sun princess,

At least there's only 2 docks to negotiate and find her lol

Thanks again

You can check out the dock you leave/return from at the Ports of Sydney Cruise Schedule.

Heres the link....

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_operations/cruise_schedule

Hi guys

Thanks for all your replies

We have been double checking our travel documents and it turns out that we have transfers from airport to hotel and vice versa in Sydney which we didn't think we had so that's a bonus

We have 7 flights in total on our holiday so it's taking some working out and remembering what and what we haven't got included

We definetely don't have transfers from hotel to dock to embark on the cruise and vice versa after cruise from dock to hotel so we will have to check out the options for that (starting with which dock we are at lol)

Thank you all for your help we have learnt so much through cc and I'm sure it will help us enjoy our maiden cruise even more

Thanks again

Mark and Angela :)

Hi, Arriving on Carnival Spirit Sept 27th....where are we docking? Anyone know and suggest a hotel as we will stay for 2-3 days. Thank You.

Most certainly at the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT) at Circular Quay. Lots of hotels walking distance depending on your budget. Can't imagine you haven't researched this already with an arrival in 2 days time or is that 2014?

Hi, Arriving on Carnival Spirit Sept 27th....where are we docking? Anyone know and suggest a hotel as we will stay for 2-3 days. Thank You.

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_operations/cruise_schedule

You are docking at Circular Quay (Overseas Pasemger Terminal).

As for hotels, it depends on your budget?

Archived