Carnival spirit mystery front page of melbourne herald-sun

Don't know if this story appeared in other states but the Herald-Sun Sunday paper has a front page with the headline "mystery of cabin 5281" and a photo of Kristen Dennis and Paul Rossington who were lost overboard on April 29. The middle pages of the paper have a comprehensive four page lift out, a large image of spirit, a timeline of the incident and the theories:

She tried to climb onto the balcony next door where her family was staying and slipped or she jumped overboard after an argument and he dived in to save her.

I think she slipped. They sound like a great couple, he was an ambo and she took home injured rescued animals. A tragedy.

Here is a link:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/mystery-of-cabin-5281-the-final-days-of-kirsten-dennis-and-paul-rossington/story-fni0fit3-1226695000357

Don't know if this story appeared in other states but the Herald-Sun Sunday paper has a front page with the headline "mystery of cabin 5281" and a photo of Kristen Dennis and Paul Rossington who were lost overboard on April 29. The middle pages of the paper have a comprehensive four page lift out, a large image of spirit, a timeline of the incident and the theories:

She tried to climb onto the balcony next door where her family was staying and slipped or she jumped overboard after an argument and he dived in to save her.

I think she slipped. They sound like a great couple, he was an ambo and she took home injured rescued animals. A tragedy.

Here is a link:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/mystery-of-cabin-5281-the-final-days-of-kirsten-dennis-and-paul-rossington/story-fni0fit3-1226695000357

Tragic event and unfortunately the only two people who really know what happened died, so it will always remain a mystery.

I saw the online report yesterday but forget the website.

One thing I feel very strongly about is that certain people in the family and cruise victims society keep declaring cruise ships as unsafe. I noted one of the woman's family members stated

all cruise ships should be sunk and no one should sail on them.
This attitude is unacceptable and is not reflective of cruise ships. Cruise ships are more than 100% safe and I always feel safe and secure on them. People being idiots are not safe. If people do not mess around and do not be fools then they will survive.

One thing I feel very strongly about is that certain people in the family and cruise victims society keep declaring cruise ships as unsafe. I noted one of the woman's family members stated This attitude is unacceptable and is not reflective of cruise ships. Cruise ships are more than 100% safe and I always feel safe and secure on them. People being idiots are not safe. If people do not mess around and do not be fools then they will survive.

Often people have to blame somebody else, not the person/people really responsible and it is even easier if they can blame a big corporation or a whole industry. Wow! That is a big target rather than accepting that their family member did a silly or irresponsible thing.

Often people have to blame somebody else, not the person/people really responsible and it is even easier if they can blame a big corporation or a whole industry. Wow! That is a big target rather than accepting that their family member did a silly or irresponsible thing.

Exactly, and people also look for compensation if possible to help grieve.

The tone of the article was so snobby! As if the herald sun writer or readers are somehow above Carnival clientele - pffft!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well it is the Murdoch Press ya know...

One thing I feel very strongly about is that certain people in the family and cruise victims society keep declaring cruise ships as unsafe. I noted one of the woman's family members stated

An odd claim. While cruise ships are not the safest, tourists have also died from:

planes

trains

bicycles

cars

so that 'logic' would see them all banned.

The tone of the article was so snobby! As if the herald sun writer or readers are somehow above Carnival clientele - pffft!!!

At least it's seemingly accurate.

A lot more than can be said than many 'News corp' articles. A credit to them for that!

Given that it was in the Herald Sun I am surprised that they had a journalist that was literate enough to put more than a few words together. I have always considered the HS to be a 'Pictorial' newspaper . :p

I like the travel section, ironically filled with cruise specials.:D

Given that it was in the Herald Sun I am surprised that they had a journalist that was literate enough to put more than a few words together. I have always considered the HS to be a 'Pictorial' newspaper . :p

I think they could put words together but the trouble is, it was a jumble of multiple stories and really confusing.

I think they could put words together but the trouble is, it was a jumble of multiple stories and really confusing.

Just cost cutting. Nowadays, there are fewer review and editorial support staff as they needed to cut costs so they're the easy targets.

Agreed it initally made it jumpy but once you've worked out they were probably breakouts in the printed version, or separate sections, it still made sense.

I thought the story published was very negative towards cruise ships. Perhaps the writer never got invited on a cruise:D

I guess she (or he) could have slipped off the balcony rail, whatever they may have been doing up there. Not sure if anyone will ever know for sure. The father's call for getting rid of cruiseships is just ridiculous.

I thought the story published was very negative towards cruise ships. Perhaps the writer never got invited on a cruise:D

I guess she (or he) could have slipped off the balcony rail, whatever they may have been doing up there. Not sure if anyone will ever know for sure. The father's call for getting rid of cruiseships is just ridiculous.

Perhaps a better call would be to stop idiots from cruising, but then what will I do.:p

We were on the cruise immediately after this one and we stayed in the cabin directly below cabin 5281. We took a photo from the dock of the back of the ship where our cabin was mid morning whilst it was docked, before the alarm was raised. Cabin 5281's balcony light was on and the door propped open (they are opening out, not sliding). Every other balcony in the photo has their door shut.

If she fell from the balcony, she could not have fallen into the water as the promenade deck is directly below....I would estimate it about 2 metres wide, at least.

Archived