Venice- Gondola question

computerworks

We have been to Venice many times, but never have taken a gondola ride...always too much else going on.

This trip, we will be with folks who have never been there before, and we want to treat them to this experience.

Here is the question for anyone with prior experience:

Do the gondolas take you on a circuit that starts and ends at the same place? ..or can you have them take a route of your choice?

Ideally, to make our day in Venice work, we would like to take a gondola from the Ponte Rialto area...a little ways on the Grand Canal, then thru some side canals (more local)...then finish in the St. Mark's area.

I understand the rates and the times, etc. but will we have trouble negotiating this 'open-ended' route?

Thanks for sharing any related experiences.

My understanding is it's a circular route. It was for us, but that might be negotiable. The ride is only about 40 minutes so I don't know how far you can get in that time between the Rialto and St. Marks. It is a slow method of transportation.

Just in case you're interested here's some photos of our ride. It was a lot of fun!

http://perstef.blogspot.com/2013/07/venice-italy.html

Hopefully you'll find the info you need in this link. There are a couple of articles pertaining to gondolas. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/gallivanting_by_gondola.htm

I planned to take a gondola ride during my first visit to Venice but didn't get around to it; now it doesn't interest me. We rode a traghetto on our last visit; that was a fun experience. I think it was 1E. (there's an article in the link about traghetti).

Hopefully you'll find the info you need in this link. There are a couple of articles pertaining to gondolas. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/gallivanting_by_gondola.htm

I planned to take a gondola ride during my first visit to Venice but didn't get around to it; now it doesn't interest me. We rode a traghetto on our last visit; that was a fun experience. I think it was 1E. (there's an article in the link about traghetti).

Thanks for the link. I just spent the past hour :eek: reading some of the articles, etc. Now I will bookmark and read more tomorrow.:)

Rather than taking a gondola ride, we took a gondolier lesson. I HIGHLY recommend it. Check out rowvenice dot com. DDP and I, two middle aged out of shape guys were worried it would be too much for us, but we both agree, it was the most memorable thing we did during our two week Italian land and sea trip last April.

A little funny aside, we were in Venice last month and watched an American ask one of the Gondolier's "what kind of boat is that, is it a kayak?" The gondolier just looked at him is disbelief so the guy repeated the question. I don't thing he gondolier even responded....too funny:eek:

A little funny aside, we were in Venice last month and watched an American ask one of the Gondolier's "what kind of boat is that, is it a kayak?" The gondolier just looked at him is disbelief so the guy repeated the question. I don't thing he gondolier even responded....too funny:eek:

OMG! So the Ugly American is alive and well and visiting Venice? If that person happens to be lurking here we would tell them that those "kayak"s weight about 1300 pounds and are all hand made at very great expense.

Hank

I will be going to venice for the first time in a few weeks and my new wife (its our honeymoon) wants to try and do a gondola ride.

Are there different companies that operate them? do they all cost the same? do you have to book ahead of time?

I know nothing about how it works-- any advice on what to do would be great. We are trying to keep costs down so any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

I will be going to venice for the first time in a few weeks and my new wife (its our honeymoon) wants to try and do a gondola ride.

Are there different companies that operate them? do they all cost the same? do you have to book ahead of time?

I know nothing about how it works-- any advice on what to do would be great. We are trying to keep costs down so any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Look at the link I posted earlier in this thread. All the info you need is there.

There is a fixed price but you might be able to negotiate a lower price if you're travelling at a quiet time. All you can do is ask.

The budget alternative is to take a traghetto across the Canal. It was only 1E when I did it a couple of years ago. Info in that same link.

Thanks

I often post this suggestion which is perfect for newlyweds (and oldweds). Before you hire a gondola stop in a shop that sells wine and buy yourself a nice bottle of Italian wine. Then ask them to pull the cork (you them put it back to keep the bottle closed) and give you a couple of plastic wine glasses. Then when you are on your gondola ride you sip wine as you glide through the canals. Its quite romantic (especially around dusk) and helps make it all very special.

You are not going to be able to keep the costs down with a gondola rental as they are expensive (90-120 Euros). But as has been suggested, you might be able to negotiate a slight discount (but make sure you do not get a shorter ride) if business is slow. The gondoliers are essentially independent businessmen so you will be dealing directly with the gondolier when it comes to price. No need to book ahead as you simply look for a gondola at any of the many dock locations and make a deal.

Hank

We asked at our hotel about using a gondola as transportation from one part of the city to another. They told us it would be very expensive. You will see gondola areas all over the city. When you are ready, just hope on. Night time is best but daytime is nice too. There will probably be an area near your hotel. Just ask at the desk for the closest area. They have a fixed route. For me, I wouldn't want to be bothered trying to get on the boat with wine or bother with pouring it. It's not a real long ride. Maybe 1/2 hr? Can't be sure. They charge extra to sing!

You will see gondola areas all over the city. When you are ready, just hope on. Night time is best but daytime is nice too. There will probably be an area near your hotel. Just ask at the desk for the closest area. They have a fixed route. For me, I wouldn't want to be bothered trying to get on the boat with wine or bother with pouring it. It's not a real long ride. Maybe 1/2 hr? Can't be sure. They charge extra to sing!

The OP already knows the fares and timing as they already posted the link. For the benefit of those who don't read the entire thread, the set rates are 80 Euro during the daytime and 100 Euro at night (defined as 7 PM - 8 AM) for standard 40 minute ride.

http://www.gondolavenezia.it/storia_tariffe.asp

We asked at our hotel about using a gondola as transportation from one part of the city to another. They told us it would be very expensive. You will see gondola areas all over the city. When you are ready, just hope on. Night time is best but daytime is nice too. There will probably be an area near your hotel. Just ask at the desk for the closest area. They have a fixed route. For me, I wouldn't want to be bothered trying to get on the boat with wine or bother with pouring it. It's not a real long ride. Maybe 1/2 hr? Can't be sure. They charge extra to sing!

Oh My! We will admit that this is the first time we have heard this point of view. Yes, the gondolas are expensive, but their rates are well known. Also keep in mind that those special boats are handmade and cost well over 10,000 Euros per boat...and the gondoliers need to make a living in a part of Italy that is not cheap to live. Not sure what bother there is to get in a gondola with a bottle of wine (have done this a few times) and its a real delight to glide quietly through the canals sipping a nice Italian vino. As to singing, most gondoliers do not sing...although there are some who will humor you if you smile and beg :) The cruise ship gondola tours that include singing actually pay a singer who rides in one of the gondolas (these tours will often have a large group of gondolas staying close together so they can hear the singing coming from one of their crowd). There is no way we would ever take one of these cruise line singing gondola tours since they tend to crowd up to 6 in a single gondola and travel in a large group (how romantic).

And by the way, a gondola ride should be at least 40 min (and some will give you a longer ride).

Hank

Archived