One worrier in my party

medtrans10

I'll be going on my second cruise next month, and this time my brother, sister-in-law and kids are going along. My SIL freaks out about things that I wouldn't blink an eye at, bugs, weather, etc. I made the statement the other day that I had seen on the news that they were predicting an active hurricane season. My only concern is that we might have to miss a port. My SIL freaked out about a possible hurricane. When we mentioned the kids going to Camp Carnival, she was not liking that idea. She said she didn't want to leave her kids with strangers, and what if somebody else tried to take her child, etc. Has anybody else traveled with a worrier and did it turn out better than expected? :eek:

I'll be going on my second cruise next month, and this time my brother, sister-in-law and kids are going along. My SIL freaks out about things that I wouldn't blink an eye at, bugs, weather, etc. I made the statement the other day that I had seen on the news that they were predicting an active hurricane season. My only concern is that we might have to miss a port. My SIL freaked out about a possible hurricane. When we mentioned the kids going to Camp Carnival, she was not liking that idea. She said she didn't want to leave her kids with strangers, and what if somebody else tried to take her child, etc. Has anybody else traveled with a worrier and did it turn out better than expected? :eek:

nothing a few wines couldn't fix

Is she genuinely worried about these things, or is she a drama queen trying to get attention? If the former, perhaps a little education that the ship's captain will do everything he can to avoid a hurricane, and that the kids' camps have security measures in place, will help allay her fears.

If the latter, might be best to plan activities on your own and meet up with the rest of the family for dinner.

We went twice. Each time a different worrier. Worked out fine. Last feb. I wanted to be sure that my DIL had a good time but she was a little worried about the 2 1/2 yo going to camp carnival . That changed the minute he went up and was able to play. She loved the little bits of free time. My next cruise the only one going are me and the hubby. I love being with family but better with two of us.

I tried to tell her they would go around the hurricane, but she looked terrified. :)

I also told her about the Camp Carnival procedures, so hopefully once she sees them having fun, she will be okay. My brother is not like that at all,so I'm hoping he can keep her grounded.

You are brave :) I hope it all works out for you. Don't take on her stress. I agree with the previous poster. If you find that she is ruining your vacation plan different things and meet up with them later for dinner. Good Luck!

I tried to tell her they would go around the hurricane, but she looked terrified. :)

I also told her about the Camp Carnival procedures, so hopefully once she sees them having fun, she will be okay. My brother is not like that at all,so I'm hoping he can keep her grounded.

I'm sure he will keep her even keel. My son helped DIL see how much fun camp was going to be. Tell her to stop worrying about the weather, she'll be just fine. Just worry about where she's going to eat, sun, dance first. Get her a dod right away

Since you already know she's prone to worrying, why would you spin her up like that? :confused:

I was raised by a worrier and some of it transferred to me. But the truth is most kids want to be with other kids rather than tied to their parents, especially if they see there are other kids around. And most kids will have a better time with the other kids and the kids' activities that are planned. We just returned from a Baltic cruise. I was surprised at how many kids were on board. They were mostly okay and kept busy with activities. One day when we were on the Lido heading for some food, a young girl stopped us and asked my husband to sign a paper she was carrying. It was a kind of scavenger hunt game where they had to get signatures from passengers for various reasons. My husband was wearing a shirt with buttons so he signed that square. He looked at the spaces that were still empty and said, "My wife is a singer. She can sign for "someone who sings." We were glad to help out. Much better to see the kids participating in scheduled activities rather than tying up the elevators or hurling soft serve ice cream cones onto our balcony. ;)

The hurricane thing would make me nervous, too, but there are plenty of posters here that say you can have confidence in the captain. I personally would not choose to sail during hurricane season, but it that's the only time that works for your family, just hope for the best. You all should probably get trip insurance, too. We always do. Sounds like there's a chance your worrier may back out.

Since you already know she's prone to worrying, why would you spin her up like that? :confused:

I was actually telling my mom and forgot my SIL was still in the room. Normally, I wouldn't mention something like that in front of her.

Where could they take her kid? You are on a ship. They do not let them go with anyone but who left them.

We cruise during hurricane season every year. No problem. They get out of the way. A random storm is more of a danger and that can happen anytime.

A worrier is a drag. I say, ditch'em......just kidding...even a worrier can have a good time, I think.

The hurricane thing would make me nervous, too, but there are plenty of posters here that say you can have confidence in the captain. I personally would not choose to sail during hurricane season, but it that's the only time that works for your family, just hope for the best. You all should probably get trip insurance, too. We always do. Sounds like there's a chance your worrier may back out.

I went last year during basically the same week and it was no problem, and it does work best for most of us that are going. Plus, it's a lot cheaper. I know you have to take the chance of a hurricane putting a flaw in your plans when you sail during this time, but I just roll with it. I do have trip insurance, but they don't. I tried to get them to get it and they keep saying they will but haven't yet. Maybe, they will before it's too late.

If there's one thing that I learned from our last cruise with 14 family members is that everybody should do whatever they want. If your kids go to Camp Carnival, that doesn't mean that your sister's have to go as well.

We had several family members that were 1st time cruisers. I addressed their concerns ONCE and let them figure out the rest. It worked like a charm. My brother in law was a big time anti-cruise skeptic, but by the end of the week, he was talking about taking his next cruise.

Our family cruise was phenomenal, and a big part of it is because nobody forced anything on anybody. Some nights all 14 of us went out to the MDR, some nights it was only us. In port, some people went on a tour while others just walked around. In one port we'd get off the ship separately and in others we'd go together. We bought a spa week pass. Nobody else did. Etc.

I was on a cruise one year with an active hurricane somewhere around us (not too close). The ship sailed around it and except for a rocky day all was beautiful. I wouldn't expect you would not lose a port unless the weather made it hazardous. We made all of ours just one day was shortened in port due to the sail around. As to the kids clubs I would tell the worrier to go to the club and look around, leave the kid for awhile and if the kid likes it and the parents are doing ok then return. If not then keep the kids with you. I think that there are cameras and recorders in all of the kids clubs to protect the employee and patrons.

I went last year during basically the same week and it was no problem, and it does work best for most of us that are going. Plus, it's a lot cheaper. I know you have to take the chance of a hurricane putting a flaw in your plans when you sail during this time, but I just roll with it. I do have trip insurance, but they don't. I tried to get them to get it and they keep saying they will but haven't yet. Maybe, they will before it's too late.

My SIL freaks out about things that I wouldn't blink an eye at,

I read your question, what I have to say is not meant to be harsh, but I know it will come out that way.

You said first that " One worrier in my party", the truth is that there are two worriers in your party. You are the second one. You are worried about how your SIL will have a effect on your vacation. Why are you giving her so much power over your life. How does her freaking out about things have any weight on your vacation.

I read your question, what I have to say is not meant to be harsh, but I know it will come out that way.

You said first that " One worrier in my party", the truth is that there are two worriers in your party. You are the second one. You are worried about how your SIL will have a effect on your vacation. Why are you giving her so much power over your life. How does her freaking out about things have any weight on your vacation.

I agree with this!

We had complainers with us before, and every time we ran into them they were whining or being negative about something. So we just stopped running into them until dinner. Which we usually do our own thing anyway. If she wants to lug her kids around all day and watch them let her, if you want quiet time since you left your kids at camp then sneak to the serenity area. Then they'll realize quickly that it may be best to leave them there..... especially when your children rant and rave at the fun they're having. :) Good luck and don't let it affect your vaca... if it starts to start planning separate activities during the day so that you are able to de-stress.

Archived